Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:04:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 65 nm Chips - [BFL ACCEPTED 100% ESCROW by John K.] - Group Buy #1 - Kernel32  (Read 14727 times)
dan99

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 06:49:03 AM

might be interested if can be guarantee and with escrow

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 06:49:39 AM

Yifu seemed to have a fairly high opinion of ASICMINER.  I do also.  Their 130nm chips strikes me as the most impressive.  Avalon's 110nm second, and the supposedly 65nm one being pawned by BFL is either not 65nm, or is a steaming little piece of shit.  Or both.  I'd certainly be writing this into any escrow agreement although it doesn't actually matter exactly why it sucks so badly I suppose.

Not surprising, since ASICMiner doesn't pose a real threat to them in terms of market share. It's easy to be generous with a company that is no serious threat to your own. BFL's chip still consumes less than half the power of Avalon's, so if it's a steaming piece of shit, it's still better than Avalon's, and if it's not really 65nm, then it's REALLY showing Avalon up...

As Yifu points out, such a small advantage going from 110nm to 65nm indicates some serious problems...or deceit.

In fact, by my read of both ~ngzhang's characteristically up-front comments and the numbers, Avalon's chips themselves are kind of a quick-n-dirty hack.  So, using them as a baseline at the 110nm size makes the BFL handled chips look even worse.

If BFL is going to go with 100% escrow, I would say there is a damn good chance that whatever they deliver would otherwise be thrown into the dumpster.

Based on WHAT (other than your obviously biased contempt for BFL)? You think BFL wants to further damage their reputation by sending out a bunch of non fuctional chips? LOL, the leaps you people will take to justify your BFL hate are incredible.  Cheesy Cheesy

Pffft.  How could anything 'damage' BFL's reputation at this point?

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:00:43 AM

Yifu seemed to have a fairly high opinion of ASICMINER.  I do also.  Their 130nm chips strikes me as the most impressive.  Avalon's 110nm second, and the supposedly 65nm one being pawned by BFL is either not 65nm, or is a steaming little piece of shit.  Or both.  I'd certainly be writing this into any escrow agreement although it doesn't actually matter exactly why it sucks so badly I suppose.

Not surprising, since ASICMiner doesn't pose a real threat to them in terms of market share. It's easy to be generous with a company that is no serious threat to your own. BFL's chip still consumes less than half the power of Avalon's, so if it's a steaming piece of shit, it's still better than Avalon's, and if it's not really 65nm, then it's REALLY showing Avalon up...

As Yifu points out, such a small advantage going from 110nm to 65nm indicates some serious problems...or deceit.

In fact, by my read of both ~ngzhang's characteristically up-front comments and the numbers, Avalon's chips themselves are kind of a quick-n-dirty hack.  So, using them as a baseline at the 110nm size makes the BFL handled chips look even worse.

If the position is that they didn't squeeze as much performance as it technically possible out of that die size, then I agree. However, the performance IS better than anything else currently on the market. So, you know...

They're still the best game in town. Either they squeezed a shit-ton more performance out of a larger die size than Yufu was able to (which makes Yifu look bad), or (and I think more likely) it's really a 65nm die size, and they didn't optimize it as much as they potentially could have (which is still a better performing chip than anybody else's).

If BFL is going to go with 100% escrow, I would say there is a damn good chance that whatever they deliver would otherwise be thrown into the dumpster.

Based on WHAT (other than your obviously biased contempt for BFL)? You think BFL wants to further damage their reputation by sending out a bunch of non fuctional chips? LOL, the leaps you people will take to justify your BFL hate are incredible.  Cheesy Cheesy

Right, it doesn't seem like you should have to take such radical leaps to find something to dislike. Why not just stick with the justified reasons to not like them, like the continuous delays and missed targets? Why does one need to make up additional baseless nonsense in order to justify already justified frustration? That's what I don't get. People are in a 'full-retard' race with each other to come up with the most absurd reasons to be frustrated with BFL, when there are already a couple of perfectly good reasons. Thank you for making my point.

If you want to be angry at BFL, be angry for real reasons. It will lend more credibility to your argument.

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:21:10 AM

Quote from: tvbcof
Quote from: wmonkey

Right, it doesn't seem like you should have to take such radical leaps to find something to dislike. Why not just stick with the justified reasons to not like them, like the continuous delays and missed targets? Why does one need to make up additional baseless nonsense in order to justify already justified frustration? That's what I don't get. People are in a 'full-retard' race with each other to come up with the most absurd reasons to be frustrated with BFL, when there are already a couple of perfectly good reasons. Thank you for making my point.

If you want to be angry at BFL, be angry for real reasons. It will lend more credibility to your argument.

I'm not angry at all.  I'm heartily amused by the whole thing.  Lots of us (mostly others) have been very active at saving would-be victims a ton of money over the last year or so, and it seems that some of the newer participants in the economy are recognizing this and appreciating it.

I am pretty disgusted at BFL's business practices.  I see no way to argue that a lot of the crap that Josh has spewed has not been bald-faced lies with no hope of being true.  Similarly, I went all the way to the point of paying for their high-end item with no indication that it was a 'pre-order'.  These guys are scum-of-the-earth in my opinion and anything that anyone does to make their scams less profitable for them is A-OK with me.

The only saving grace that these guys have is that rather then victimizing senile oldsters as in the last rendition of Sonny's scammery, they are victimizing greedy Bitcoin miners.  It still suck though.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:30:13 AM

Quote from: wmonkey

I'm not angry at all.  I'm heartily amused by the whole thing.  Lots of us (mostly others) have been very active at saving would-be victims a ton of money over the last year or so, and it seems that some of the newer participants in the economy are recognizing this and appreciating it.

This was a general "you," as I don't think the original comment in question was yours. But you've clearly got some anger toward BFL.

I am pretty disgusted at BFL's business practices.  I see no way to argue that a lot of the crap that Josh has spewed has not been bald-faced lies with no hope of being true.  Similarly, I went all the way to the point of paying for their high-end item with no indication that it was a 'pre-order'.  These guys are scum-of-the-earth in my opinion and anything that anyone does to make their scams less profitable for them is A-OK with me.

So the ends justify the means, eh? Sorry, I don't buy it. If you can't base your argument on sound facts and logic, your argument is weak and flawed. If you have to tell lies and half-truths to get people to agree with you, then it betrays your lack of belief in your own cause.

The only saving grace that these guys have is that rather then victimizing senile oldsters as in the last rendition of Sonny's scammery, they are victimizing greedy Bitcoin miners.  It still suck though.

So you believe that BFL is just scamming, with no intention of shipping products? If you actually believe that, then I can respect it (although, I think you're incredibly ignorant to believe that). If you don't actually believe it (which I think is more likely the case), you're spreading falsehoods to support your cause, because you don't actually believe your position has enough merit to stand on its own based on fact. And I pity you.

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
Plissken

Activity: 251

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:35:10 AM

Chip delivery schedule is approximately 100 days + two weeks + two weeks + two weeks?Huh?.

ummas

Activity: 274

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:12:29 AM

100 + 4-6 weeks
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 08:19:43 AM

Come on, don't support these assholes Roll Eyes

Tigggger
Legendary

Activity: 1098

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:43:13 AM

Come on, don't support these assholes Roll Eyes

Chips Ordered: 0

Nobody is Smiley

tiros

Activity: 126

Just another miner

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:34:48 AM
Last edit: June 07, 2013, 09:45:08 AM by tiros

I guess they would like to sell chips for us to build miner even if they still haven't demonstrated serious production (lol  Cheesy).
Even so miner larger then 5Gh/s power would be something like a single chip product , and it seems to be they are not up to the task building anything larger then jalapeno or what ever its called.

If they don't know how to build it, how could we expect us to know how, when its their product!?
They will give us their board design & stuff? If they have it they would be shipping their products long time ago.
BFL will be in real trouble once Avalon starts shipping chips, and it might be game over for those who ordered any of BFL ASIC products.

To sum that offer up it looks like bull shit packed in box of horse shit, tbh.
Anyway good luck with that, after all maybe I am wrong.

Of yes, that proven design line from Josh made me chuckle.

Greed shouldn't be the essence of bitcoin
Kernel32 (OP)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

If you can't do something smart,do something right

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:40:57 AM
Last edit: June 07, 2013, 12:58:43 PM by Kernel32

100 + 4-6 weeks

That is the pattern, but not the case this time. ESCROW will be released in 100 days no matter what. To BFL if they deliver the real thing in time or back to my Group Buyers.

You realize that you can get your $800 back by just asking for it, right?  Roll Eyes

If we succeed to get developers all they need (documentation, samples) as part of the deal, that will be very good news for BFL "pre-order-scheme" costumers. Josh stated that they can convert the pre-orders into chips. (Or ... well get refunded)

Chips Ordered: 0

Nobody is Smiley

Please note, that the Group Buy is not open yet. I'm refining the deal and discussing options with community board developers. (Chips without boards are worth nothing.)

As stated above, random selection of BFL chips will be tested previous to ESCROW release. My Group Buyers either get quality on time or money back from John K. I know the idea of actually recieving a BFL product seems ridiculous, but two days ago a lot of people laughed at me about 100% escrow with BFL. The approach used now is different. No upfront, no shit.

Like it or not, the main question of future bitcoin mining isn't "Should I use GPU, FPGA or ASIC?", but "How efficient is my ASIC?"
BFL chips as demonstrated on BFL's short board (Jalapeno) are twice as efficient as Avalon's right now. That's a fact. Not saying Avalon is bad. I purchased a lot of Avalon chips.

Butterfly chips have most likely a big potential for tweaking (given the specs development during production and testing). But don't count on that. That is only my wild speculation right now.

It's funny how Yifu is your go-to-source for opinions when he is BFL's direct competitor. It's like asking Mcdonald's CEO what he thinks of the Whopper.

I like Yifu very much, he is a great man and a very capable entrepreneur. But I have to agree with PeZ on this one.

Sorry for reacting mostly to the negative posts, but those need answers. Thank you for the support.

1FqMyFU9CH3WST6oRsw6ZjJNZ5ScXANzqi
CumpsD

Activity: 476

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:43:40 AM

Looking forward to see how willing they are to send documentation and reference designs when we get any board builder on board.
Kernel32 (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:53:57 AM
Last edit: June 07, 2013, 01:46:44 PM by Kernel32

As Chris/BkkCoins (Klondike board developer) in our communication stated:

If they (BFL) manage to ship real chips I'll be surprised and if they put out a chip spec doc I'll have a look to see if I could design a board for it, but for now I'm working on this one (Avalon )and hoping that Avalon actually does ship samples in a week or two.

Chris.

I say let's get hands of developers on BFL sample chips (and docs) in two weeks same as Avalon.

philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 11:09:55 AM

Looking forward to see how willing they are to send documentation and reference designs when we get any board builder on board.

The promise is there:
We are going to be releasing the specs and reference board designs, so someone will develop their own firmware.

Josh 06-06-2013 06:20 PM in Shoutbox.
But when, who knows.
Kernel32 (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 11:42:23 AM
Last edit: June 07, 2013, 12:21:43 PM by Kernel32

The promise is there:
We are going to be releasing the specs and reference board designs, so someone will develop their own firmware.

Josh 06-06-2013 06:20 PM in Shoutbox.
But when, who knows.

I wrote another email to Josh as follows:

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your answer.

John K. already expressed his good will to do the escrow.

Where I can't get you any hard number on how many chips we will buy, it's certain that the community is willing to invest a lot in this.

To get the most interesting deal possible and all of the potential/undecided costumers involved, you could give them some guarantees, that way they can put any doubts behind. Could we agree on random chip selection hash test attended by our representative before escrow release? Community based board development is also a very good motivation. Are you able to arrange sample chips (even with only some cores working) and chip documentation delivery to (2-3) community lead developers in let's say two weeks?

As the the number of chips could be pretty high, let me please know what proportions of grade A, B, C .. chips are most beneficial for your company.

Thank you Josh,
Kernel32
BitcoinTalk.org community member

Two weeks to get the samples to developers. Sounds fair?

Let's see what happens next. Stay tuned guys.

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 12:09:15 PM

Another scam

Angry
Kernel32 (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 12:17:24 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2013, 01:23:41 PM by Kernel32

Another scam
 Angry
Seriously man, did you read any part of this thread? Can you explain why do you think this is a scam 67152398 ?

It's a good thing to be careful, but c'mon we have John (not the same person as Josh Wink ) .

blo

Activity: 73

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 12:44:42 PM

I think if the board developers would be interested and they will be able to get a working prototype in a short time, it immediately becomes a lot more interested people.

In this case, I'm ready to put some money in this.
Operatr

Activity: 798

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 03:13:50 PM

Another scam
 Angry
Seriously man, did you read any part of this thread? Can you explain why do you think this is a scam 67152398 ?

It's a good thing to be careful, but c'mon we have John (not the same person as Josh Wink ) .

BFL itself is the scam, get real.

Zero products shipped from the revised BitForce line (Jalepenos are older and no longer offered, Little SC was supposed to replace it, none have shipped at all in over one year)

Now offering chips that are just as much vaporware as their ghost machines

And they are apparently wasting time on their own charity thing?

BFL and all of their cronies earned a scammer tag here, that should be enough to kill this thread right here and now.

Zubilica

Activity: 837

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 03:23:01 PM

Till now every aspect is covered, and this not deal where the manufacturer can delay or postpone, 100 days is the deadline. I'm really hoping that you can convince some hardware developers to contribute. Break a leg.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: