Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 01:19:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW TO SPOT A WINNING ICO  (Read 2409 times)
covfefe_

Activity: 935
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 03:46:23 PM

Hyped ones are the most dangerous ones. As far as I remember from bancor ico, their Project was a hype. It was consisting of only 50 lines of code or something. But they made their marketing well as a hyped one.

I personally invest their legal status and white paper before invest money in it.

Since most ICO's are decentralised, meaning they don't even have an address or legal entity, how to you check their status?

Some of them do have while some of them don't. An ICO for a decentralized exchange might not have an address but an ICO for mining farm, or green energy production do have an address and some sort of licencing.
pikatju

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

https://wallet.merit.me/?invite=Pikachu

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 03:48:22 PM

Powerledger has a great whitepaper. I would consider loading up on Powerledger. The ICO is running now and it is super cheap. Check it out here

johnsm79 (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

trade.io - Join the Trading Revolution

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2017, 04:12:38 PM

Lets keep the topic on the same line, without mentioning other ICO, unless you can relate them to this conversation.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
  TRADE.IO       ║     WHITEPAPER  •  ANN THREAD  •  TELEGRAM     ║     JOIN THE TRADING REVOLUTION
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Forward_Thinking

Activity: 155
Merit: 15

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 04:16:41 PM

I 've been trying to find out all the things that would lead me to spot the wining ICO, meaning an ICO that will not just enter a the platforms to make a quick buck.

An ICO I can really HODL.

I have gathered the below up to now:

The founders are working on something great, with details on their design and their roadmap.
The founders are not worried with deadlines, but are making changes when necessary to ensure the safety of their project.
The founders know their project of by heart. They can answer logical questions. They love it when people ask them about their project and the details of the development.
The founders could be promising the world, but not tomorrow. If they are promising you to become rich tomorrow, something looks bad.
New points from other members:
Competent development team is the most important rule. Ideas are not enough. There should be good devs to build around those ideas. That is main rule.
ICO's with a low or reasonable market cap and ICO's that have set a max cap.

Looking forward to enhance my list. I will add your ideas to the above list.

The winning icos will be having a large of the communities that will always try to monitoring the development process of the project that was including about the crowdsale too.
There is a lot of people already made very huge money from the winning ico just like knc token.

I also look for ICOs that will burn unsold tokens. Most make that offer, but some do not.
cryptolin

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 04:25:14 PM

I would take a look at their developers, and see what projects they have worked on in the past. Having a wireframe/prototype out before their sale also helps a lot too.
Nalbo

Activity: 870
Merit: 125

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 04:42:05 PM

Truly wining ICO gets a news coverage on the media, the ICO softcap is fulfilled ahead of time.
Because ICO is all about colllecting fund, the one that collects better wins.
loty1825

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 04:49:38 PM

I 've been trying to find out all the things that would lead me to spot the wining ICO, meaning an ICO that will not just enter a the platforms to make a quick buck.

An ICO I can really HODL.

I have gathered the below up to now:

The founders are working on something great, with details on their design and their roadmap.
The founders are not worried with deadlines, but are making changes when necessary to ensure the safety of their project.
The founders know their project of by heart. They can answer logical questions. They love it when people ask them about their project and the details of the development.
The founders could be promising the world, but not tomorrow. If they are promising you to become rich tomorrow, something looks bad.

New points from other members:
Competent development team is the most important rule. Ideas are not enough. There should be good devs to build around those ideas. That is main rule.
ICO's with a low or reasonable market cap and ICO's that have set a max cap.
[it could apply sometimes] The winning icos will be having a large of the communities that will always try to monitoring the development process of the project that was including about the crowdsale too.

Looking forward to enhance my list. I will add your ideas to the above list.

Investing in ICO's to profit from pump isn't that hard, because most of them get pumped, but spotting an ICO that can be successful in the long term can be very difficult, because there's so many things that can go wrong even on projects that are legit. Good idea on opening this topic. I hope it becomes very useful and informative. Smiley

I agree about the founders/developers but it's impossible to know how good they are and if they do it by heart if you don't know them personally or are reknowned people that already made several known successful projects. And it's not just developers that should be good, but they should have good marketing too.

My list would be:
- Ask yourself what's the main idea of the project. What problem does it solve. Does it have any competitors. How is the idea better than competitors. Are their potential customers that would find use for the idea.
- Check the team. Are there real names posted on their website with their real photos. Google for team members. Check if they already worked on some successful projects. Do pictures and information on the website correspond to what you find on their profiles on social networks like Facebook.
- Check the website. Does it look professional. Are there many spelling errors. Serious projects will pay someone to design and lecture their website properly. Is there a whitepaper on the website (it's a must obviously) and roadmap. Is the website translated into any other language than English. Translations especially to Chinese, Japanese and Korean are a big plus.
- Check the whitepaper. Is it just a few pages of simple text written in poor English. That's bad sign for sure. Or is it about 100 pages of very technical and legal language noone really understands. If whitepaper is too complicated, it might be written this way on purpose so it would make the project seem good. Or the project might really be good, but there's possibility it won't get many investors, because not many potential investors would understand it. And if ICO doesn't get enough investors, they may not collect enough funds to work on the project. Whitepaper document should be just about right. Written without any errors, properly formatted, easily understandable but must still answer most of the questions you as investors want to know.
- Check the roadmap. What have they done already. The more the better. A working product you can try out is best. Just white paper with nothing else done is very risky.
- Check the code if they publish it on github. Are there a lot of commits every working day. This should like they're working hard on the project. But be careful if the code is forked from another project. Many of the activity might be there from the previous project.
- What's the amount they're trying to raise. Is the amount reasonable for what they're trying to achieve. Are there any cost estimates that explain what the collected funds will be used for. Is there a hard and/or soft cap for the ICO. Do you know exactly how much will you pay per token. Team that doesn't even know the estimate of their expenses can't be serious on the project. And if there's no cap, it shows they're at least greedy if not scammers. And if you can't tell how much will you pay per token this is gambling not investing.
- What's the model of token distribution. What percentage of tokens will be sold to investors and what percentage will stay with the team. Anything more than 49% of tokens staying with the team is a bad sign.
- How many tokens will be in circulation. Are they inflating, limited supply, deflating. Are there any competitive projects on the market. Compare potential token price to them in case the project reached same marketcap. What profit would you make at this marketcap. Is it worth the risk.
- What's the use of the token. Will flow of the tokens in the system drive the demand for tokens up and create buying pressure in the market.
- Check the community. Is there a lot of activity in the threads on this and other online forums and social networks. Do members of the team communicate a lot.
- Check marketing. Do you spot adds for the project, a lot of news about the ICO on different media sites, do they publish videos on youtube, send newsletters and write blogs regulary,...
- How long will it take after ICO to hit exchanges. Which exchanges on what dates.

Probably no ICO project will be perfect according to above checks. But the more checks it passes the better. And I probably also forgot some important checks, it's just what I wrote from the top of my head.

waiwai0_0

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 05:52:53 PM

if there are a way to spot a winning ico, no one will tell you here  Grin
johnsm79 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2017, 06:48:20 PM

Truly wining ICO gets a news coverage on the media, the ICO softcap is fulfilled ahead of time.
Because ICO is all about colllecting fund, the one that collects better wins.

Both added. Good points.. media coverage is logical, especially when is not from press releases (paid)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
  TRADE.IO       ║     WHITEPAPER  •  ANN THREAD  •  TELEGRAM     ║     JOIN THE TRADING REVOLUTION
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
hdclover

Activity: 1106
Merit: 501

www.bitcoin.org

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:09:45 PM

If you want a win with ICO in short term then consider this factor:
Hype, Hype, Hype
The ICOs which are over hyped can give you profit in a short span of time. That is by dumping it on the day it hit exchanges. Once everything went normal it will be traded below the ICO price and now if you are interested in the project you may consider yourself buying some.

Blah blah
NoiseBoy

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Sound. Fury. Signifying.

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:34:38 PM

The number one thing I look for is a business case that makes sense. You can do all kinds of things with blockchain, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should. If a problem can better be solved with a SQL database, then their ICO is clearly a money grab. Services for the cryptocurrency community are the most natural fits. That's why I really like finance ICOs and gambling ICOs (e.g. the HERO ICO that I'm currently rep'ing in my sig).

After that, I'm looking for red flags. Promises of great riches, development timelines that are ludicrously ambitious, small to nonexistent teams... basically once I like the business concept, I'm looking for reasons NOT to invest. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.
johnsm79 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2017, 07:39:53 PM

The number one thing I look for is a business case that makes sense. You can do all kinds of things with blockchain, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should. If a problem can better be solved with a SQL database, then their ICO is clearly a money grab. Services for the cryptocurrency community are the most natural fits. That's why I really like finance ICOs and gambling ICOs (e.g. the HERO ICO that I'm currently rep'ing in my sig).

After that, I'm looking for red flags. Promises of great riches, development timelines that are ludicrously ambitious, small to nonexistent teams... basically once I like the business concept, I'm looking for reasons NOT to invest. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

will add: If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

bigdogdan2

Activity: 252
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:55:18 PM

If you are looking for short term profit (flip).  Really the only thing you need to look for is massive hype.  One where demand is much much more than supply.  Like Kyber / Chainlink, etc.

Long term hold ico is tougher to identify and need to consider a lot more things.

OPEN Platform | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱Blockchain's First Payment API❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram
JollySkipper

Activity: 136

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 08:58:59 AM

First of all I check how well the founders explain their whitepaper. If the whitepaper doesn't explain me well where I'm going to invest my money, I won't invest at all.
If the whitepaper meet my standards then I will hold only if I see the progress of the team, not just promises and chit chat, I want to watch the team work and develop the product. Transparency is something very important to me.
I give extra credit when the team is looking for more programmers after the ICO, this is a good sign that the team is real and want to develop something good and in time.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DIW ◈    DIWtoken.com    ▐   WHITEPAPERANN THREADTELEGRAM   ▌    SECURITY DECENTRALIZED
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
anelenaniku

Activity: 136

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 09:52:07 AM

1. Good project, breakthrough idea
2. Roadmap with steps how they will make the project
3. Report any difficulties they have and keep investors in the light
4. They don't promise that will do everything, they develop what is on the whitepaper
5. And I would hold only if the project would be scalable, not an app and that's it
blockchainmarketus

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 10:00:34 AM

I prefer ICO with live services, it is more realistic than buying ICO token from 2018 project deployment. 2018 isn't short time, When time goes by who cares if the project isn't real when the token has been listed in the market. I bought coss. Coss is live exchanger now, and the price is pump now.
indomitableprincess

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 10:11:51 AM

Hurray!!! Dentacoin Innitial Coin Offer (The First Medical Coin In History) Hurray!!!

Are you still Alive and wants to remain Healthy? Then Join Dentacoin and Invest.

Note, this ICO comes up on October 1st 2017. Kindly read the below extract from our site and be informed.

Dentacoin is the first Blockchain concept designed for the Global Dental Industry. The Dentacoin ERC20 token is configured to be used globally by all individuals. Dentacoin aims at improving dental care worldwide and making it affordable through crowd power. Numerous Blockchain-based tools will be developed and implemented.

Those early birds who got to know of our first presale bought into it and have made fortunes in multiple times of their investments. Yes, your heard me right, they had presale and DCN is already listed which gave people to trade and make fortunes.
Now is another opportunity brought to everyone in the time of coming ICO where you shall be able to buy at unexpected low price and which is the door of wealth to those who invest.

Buy from ICO starting from October 1st 2017 at a cheaper price and you can begin to make multiple returns immediately ICO ends in a month interval.

Mode of Payment are by ethereum and bitcoin.
For more details and You can also visit our website https://www.dentacoin.com/ to read all about our FAQs and other needed informations. To join any of our social media group, kindly click on any of the media below the website to have a direct contact with the admins and teams. Thanks

Aizhen05

Activity: 205

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 11:17:03 AM

I prefer ICO with live services, it is more realistic than buying ICO token from 2018 project deployment. 2018 isn't short time, When time goes by who cares if the project isn't real when the token has been listed in the market. I bought coss. Coss is live exchanger now, and the price is pump now.
yes agree with you it is more realistic if choosing the ICO with live services couse that was I do also choosing some that was existing for now.
johnsm79 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2017, 01:55:23 PM

Hyped ones are the most dangerous ones. As far as I remember from bancor ico, their Project was a hype. It was consisting of only 50 lines of code or something. But they made their marketing well as a hyped one.

Hyped ones are dangerous, as included in our list.

coingrow

Activity: 364
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 02:56:33 PM

For me the winning combination would be - A great idea which has real life use case added with a great team with proven track record with VC backing and reputed names associated as advisors. Most importantly, a realistic hardcap.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: