Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:55:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody planning on forking bitcoin. Don't call it bitcoin cash/gold/platinum...  (Read 221 times)
Will H (OP)

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2017, 11:36:10 AM

Call it Satoshi and brand the smallest denomination bitcoin (btc).

There's plenty of projects wanting to create a “better” bitcoin. Is that the end game here? I thought part of the bigger picture was to create a better monetary system than the current one where the transfer of value can move freely and openly in a trust minimizing system. Bitcoin isn't the enemy nor the competition.

It's just an opinion, I'm not clairvoyant. But the cryptocurrency that goes mainstream doesn't necessary have to be the best one, it does however have to make the most sense. When it comes to money it seems like psychology triumphs technology. Therefore it would be interesting to see a fork/split that does the opposite in terms of naming the currency. That means one would have 100 million bitcoins for every satoshi.

Currently if you were to stop the average person on the street and give them an option on whether they would like $100 in cash or 0.023 bitcoin, the majority would choose fiat (I've actually done something similar). Now, if you reframe the same question and ask whether they would like $100 in cash or 2 million bitcoins I'm guessing more people will choose bitcoin, simply because it feels like more.

If “opposite bitcoin” aka Satoshi actually became a thing, imagine the mindfuck when it gets listed on exchanges. There's bound to be some confusion, mistakes will be made.

"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Andre_Goldman

Activity: 322
Merit: 253

Property1of1OU

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 11:50:10 AM

I'm not a marketing professional but it makes sense .. Blue Chip companies such as IBM, Microsoft, (and Linux Foundation) already adopted "BlockChain" as a "Distributed database" or something ... 

Patent1number: ****-****
Kronos21

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 11:57:23 AM

When a person has a choice is always a complicated task for him. Many people do not understand what are bitcoins and don't believe in them. They of course choose the dollars. The experiment need not do so. First, give the person 0,023 BTC and advised to visit bitcointalk. After 1-2 months, ask him what will he choose and I am sure that the result will be different.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 12:42:04 PM

what these new altcoins are doing is like what the Chinese have been doing with their products that are rip off of known brands. like them bending the end of Nike brand logo and call it something similar like Niko Cheesy
it will obviously never compete with the real brands and won't even come close to them. they will always remain the cheap crap that nobody wants but they use for pump and dumping.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
joebrook

Activity: 644
Merit: 259

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 12:46:48 PM

I am actually wondering which of the exchanges are going to be handing out free bitcoin gold like they did with bitcoin cash, I am hoping that i can deposit some bitcoins there and later get the alt coin bitcon gold which i can sell to get some money. That seems fair to me .

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
Bruce Wayne

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 07:39:14 PM

Did you explain the exchange rate to them? Did these people know the inherent value of 0.0023 bitcoin?

Join My Newsletter (Free) By Shooting Me A Message On Here With Your Email Address. 1st Newsletter Goes Out in December! Happy Trading.
Lanatsa

Activity: 2828
Merit: 649

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 07:41:05 PM

I am actually wondering which of the exchanges are going to be handing out free bitcoin gold like they did with bitcoin cash, I am hoping that i can deposit some bitcoins there and later get the alt coin bitcon gold which i can sell to get some money. That seems fair to me .
This is what most bitcoin user are aiming for on which we would really eager to get some free money in times of those fork. I don't know why they are still bothering theirselves on forking bitcoin since we do already on what we want of it but well we cant stop on the decision that they are making.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Wishcoin.IO

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2017, 07:54:51 PM

what these new altcoins are doing is like what the Chinese have been doing with their products that are rip off of known brands. like them bending the end of Nike brand logo and call it something similar like Niko Cheesy
it will obviously never compete with the real brands and won't even come close to them. they will always remain the cheap crap that nobody wants but they use for pump and dumping.

That's a very valid perception in todays market, however like all things (think of how iPhone revolutionised smart phones); it's all about how people use the technology and resources they have.

Altcoins are a way for people around the world to come up with new methods of of using already-available technology in order to create change in the world.
Will H (OP)

Activity: 93

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2017, 10:10:26 PM

Did you explain the exchange rate to them? Did these people know the inherent value of 0.0023 bitcoin?

I only did something similar, it's not like I can go around handing out cash! What I did was ask two questions. The first: "Have you heard of bitcoin?". (It was a while back, bitcoin had a price of $400-$600) Most people answered "No", but it often led to some discussion of what it is etc.

The second was a hypothetical question: "Right now 1 bitcoin is valued at $400. If you were given the choice between 1 BTC or $400 which one would you choose?".  Almost all chose $.

Interesting enough it felt as though people would choose bitcoin if it was valued less. For example choosing between $10 or 1 BTC they might as well choose bitcoin because $10 isn't worth much to them anyway.

Maybe it's a good way of measuring the real world value of bitcoin and not the speculative value that is at the moment.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: