Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:11:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's stupid that newbies must make 5 posts and browse for 4 hours. Here's why  (Read 11069 times)
mucky_mule

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 04:08:07 PM

so newbie to newbie - 5 hours ale fine but the 5 posts - ok thats the rule... consider this post here as nr1 out of 5 spam posts ;-)

never the less great stuff here - would be defiantly to lazy to produce 5 spam type posts if i didn´t think it´s worth in the end...

greets to all of you

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
givingbitcoinwings

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 05:33:09 PM

Here's why this rule is useless. I had my first five posts within 20 minutes or so. And it's easy with the 4 hour thing too... If you're using Firefox, download an extension called ReloadEvery and install it. Log in to your account on this forum and enable ReloadEvery to reload every 30 seconds or 1 minute. Make sure your computer won't go to sleep or shut down in the next 4 hours and go about your business. When you return in 4 hours you should be all set!
Good point. Maybe we should go with a payment system to use these forums?

That will definitely cut down on spammers!
bitbatty

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 05:52:19 PM

I'm not opposed to the whole 5 post limitation.  It makes sense that you'd want people that are going to be active on the forum.  The other side of that is like many of you have mentioned.  You'll get quite a few single garbage posts.  The 4 hour limitation is more of an issue imho... but then again it does force new people to browse through the forums a bit and possibly learn the answers to some of the questions that they might have. 
bitbatty

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 05:55:58 PM

I should have responded to the whole payment suggestion thread as well.  Here is my take on it.  While those of you that suggest a payment/gift methodology to help reduce spammers etc it also prevents individuals such as myself that are looking to get into bitcoin mining.  If you're new it will take a while to get to the point where you can actually spend a fraction of a BC to donate.  If I had a mining setup already running then it may not be an issue.  Yea I know late to the party as usual.  Well at least I'm trying to attend Cheesy
FuzzyThunder

Activity: 18

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:10:59 PM

Here's why this rule is useless. I had my first five posts within 20 minutes or so. And it's easy with the 4 hour thing too... If you're using Firefox, download an extension called ReloadEvery and install it. Log in to your account on this forum and enable ReloadEvery to reload every 30 seconds or 1 minute. Make sure your computer won't go to sleep or shut down in the next 4 hours and go about your business. When you return in 4 hours you should be all set!
Good point. Maybe we should go with a payment system to use these forums?

There is a much deep reason for this rule. The meaning of which would fill volumes in explanation.

As a newb, I still don't know the reason. Can you enlighten me? Or at least post a link to a page that explains the reasoning behind this rule?
AlternaPost

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 06:13:48 PM

I have to assume that they're doing this because they're trying to cut down on spam, but you can still have a bot write 5 generic posts and refresh the page regularly for 4 hours.
werauchimmer

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:17:28 PM

So, if it needs to be five posts, and the consensus is that it should stay that way, who am I to argue. That time is better spent posting completley meanigless stuff like this posting. Yes, that is right, I just wasted a few seconds of your life, dear reader. Now, move on, nothing to see here.
Kaepora

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:21:12 PM

Reasons for newbie forum:

What is a Bitcoin?

Can I borrow x BTCs from someone?

How long before I get a Bitcoin with 20 Mh/s?

How long before I get a Bitcoin mining with a CPU?

What is CGMiner?

Why cant CGMiner detect my integrated graphics chipset?

How can I speed up CPU mining?

Can someone give be 1 BTC?

How do you use the CMD?

What is a .BAT file?

Does anyone even accept BTC?

Whats the point of the Newbie forum?

How many posts do I have to make before I get out of the Newbie forum?

How many hours am I supposed to be online to leave the Newbie forum?

Why cant I PM anyone?

Why cant I reply to a thread?

There are more!

I apologize if I offend anyone, I like helping out a lot in the newbie forum but these are the types of questions that I see everyday, the same questions every day!. I know, there are newbies that aren't newbies at all but everyone has to go through it.  Grin
jezzyjensen

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:36:06 PM

The restrictions on this forum are sub-par. The part where you have to browse for four hours is kind of reasonable and understandable.

However, having to post 5 times is ridiculous. The reason being is that it encourages spam posts. If you go to the newbies section most of is spam. The reason being is people just spam posts in order to post in the other forums.

This is a terrible idea. Now I have to sit here for four hours before released my project, and I have to make tons of these stupid pointless posts.

Thanks bitcointalk.

Well, quite, and I find myself replying to your post, and adding to the jungle of Spam, merely to top up my post count.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 07:21:00 PM

As a newb, I still don't know the reason. Can you enlighten me? Or at least post a link to a page that explains the reasoning behind this rule?

I can. I remember when these forums were under attack. Each day many new accounts were created just to post FUD. Posts like "BITCOIN HAS BEEN DECLARED A PONZI BY THE FBI!!!" or other crap. Some people claimed that they were being offered money for any bitcoin hating article, blog, or post they created. These posts eventually became more common than productive posts.
5 posts and 4 hours is the mildest option to combat this problem. I like the idea of being able to read for free, buy paying for posts. It weeds out the kids and idiots. (Idiots often have no extra money, as they have lost it via idiocy). 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
southoz

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 07:23:00 PM

Seems like a reasonable idea to prevent spam.
HashTech

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 08:40:23 PM

They are perfectly logical rules implemented to protect the community.
Lymo

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 08:46:56 PM

Ah well, in a few moments i'm over it...
zorprime

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 09:47:31 PM

I have been lurking in the forums for a while now, and I find that, overall, the quality of posts and discussion here are much better than the chum bucket of "open" forums.

The criteria might be arbitrary, but it is effectively the "price" you are paying to gain entrance into the discussion.  If you don't value the forum at a level to make 5 posts in the newb area, and browse for 4 hours, than you are unwilling to pay the (arbitrary or otherwise) required "cost" to gain posting privileges.

Keeping forums clean is a tough job, and better some simple filters than moderators being overburdened or the discussion being swallowed by spammers.
J35st3r

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:09:30 PM

YAY!! 100 posts in three days. Full Member!!

I told you it could be done ...  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=223845.msg2357814#msg2357814

And I've done so, so much more!

CHALLENGE!! Quit griping and get posting  Grin

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
RnMn

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:16:03 PM

It's acceptable to take some actions to prevent spammers. But 4 hours online rule quite long at least it should be 1 or max 2 hours..
sheldonross

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:20:16 PM

If it actually prevents stupid questions, I shudder to think what this forum would look like were it a free-for-all. I've been reading Slush's thread for months, and every page or so there's a question about how the payout is calculated, even though it's been explained many, many, many times over.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:25:19 PM

If I had known that I needed to browse for four hours aside from posting five comments, I would've signed up sooner. I've been browsing for two to three hours now.. *smh* .. I doubt it's possible to get credited for that time. Anywho..

Welcome to the center of the Bitcoin Galaxy!  Grin

This is true, but sad. I've been using bitcoin for a while but I haven't registered here because I just can't stand using forums. I hate having to read every post in a thread when most of the posts are chaff that should just be downvoted to oblivion(sorry for the redditism).

Useless/unrelated posts in a thread appear in line with useful and contributory posts. Displaying "good" and "bad" posts in the same way like this encourages side discussions unrelated to the original topic wherein people try to correct or argue with the people that make the "bad" posts.

The result is hundreds(in some cases) of pages of comments that may or may not be pertinent to whatever it is you're looking for. Unfortunately, the only way to figure out which of those comments are pertinent and which are not is by reading through hundreds of pages of them!

I would prefer a layout that facilitated the inevitable spawning of side-discussions and allows the most useful/relevant comments in those side-discussions to be provided more visual weight.

Try the "ignore poster" button. It makes most of the chaff go away, with a bit of practice. You can change your mind should the need arise.
J35st3r

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:39:52 PM

YAY!! 100 posts in three days. Full Member!!

I told you it could be done ...  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=223845.msg2357814#msg2357814

And I've done so, so much more!

CHALLENGE!! Quit griping and get posting  Grin

You'll be a "Hero Member" by Saturday!  Grin

Nope, gotta pace myself. Full Member was a full time job these last few days.

Perhaps by the end of the month. If I don't burn out (that's the problem with us bipolars).

But enough about me. GET POOSSSSSSTING!

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
hwmax

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:40:33 PM

I agree to an extent, I wanted to PM someone on here but have to wait and make posts to be able to but it is a small price to pay to (help) alleviate the number of 'hit and runners' 1 post heroes I suppose.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: