Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:24:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's stupid that newbies must make 5 posts and browse for 4 hours. Here's why  (Read 11069 times)
leela

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 02:43:09 AM

2 hours and 40 minutes of silly-time remaining for me. Should be getting a bit less silly now...

lol.

Waiting waiting waiting... might go get a coffee. It's a real slow afternoon at work, too.
leela

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 02:50:38 AM

+1.

Yes this is all very silly.

I've been dying to post in another thread about USD withdrawals for MtGox as i've been waiting on a USD withdrawal for like 3 months now. (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179586.2200)

Not only have I had to wait like a month before registration on bitcointalk was FINALLY reenabled, I have to now waste time posting in the newbie forums... omg, it just feels like everyone is trying to put up artificial walls and barriers. I just wanted to post on that thread over a month ago D:

Not getting any less silly, guys.

The real sad part about this is that i've probably read 100 hrs of bitcointalk but none of that counts because i didn't have an account yet..... BECAUSE I COULDN'T MAKE ONE. Damn registrations being disabled for so long. *frustrated*

Someone's going to start a conspiracy theory, registrations disabled for a month and all these artificial walls to stop people complaining about mtgox and their ridiculously slow (or in many cases with USD, simply no withdrawals).
will_a

Activity: 9

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:24:57 AM

Ditto.  Can't even pm a member to get in on a group buy.  Wth?
ANiceJewishBoy

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:40:29 AM

I'm not even off noob status yet and someone gave me a bad rating for trying to talk about a certain coin. Lame, but at least I'll be out of the newb section in like 15 minutes.
McKinley

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:10:20 AM

thanks for the explanations for the required posts for newbies
leela

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 09:34:30 PM

thanks for the explanations for the required posts for newbies

no problem.

Is this my post #5 yet?
TheSmook

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 12:09:06 AM

+1.

I've been dying to post in another thread about USD withdrawals for MtGox as i've been waiting on a USD withdrawal for like 3 months now. (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179586.2200)

Not only have I had to wait like a month before registration on bitcointalk was FINALLY reenabled, I have to now waste time posting in the newbie forums... omg, it just feels like everyone is trying to put up artificial walls and barriers. I just wanted to post on that thread over a month ago D:

All of the good/interesting posts are in newb-restricted forums. Not much to comment on in the newb forum.

But I see why they have the restriction since a bitcoin forum is a target for scammers and spammers.
MWNinja

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 12:33:24 AM

It's quite simple really, without the newbie restrictions spam bots would make a mess of the forums.  This restriction breaks the most common bot posting profiles, thus making the forums a bit more manageable to moderate.  So yeah, you have to make a few worthless posts before you can post in the main forums.  There's plenty to read to keep you occupied in the meantime, and you're certainly most welcome to have meaningful conversations in the newbie area.   
MrHempstock

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

"Don't worry. My career died after Batman, too."

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:32:40 AM

+1.

All of the good/interesting posts are in newb-restricted forums. Not much to comment on in the newb forum.

But I see why they have the restriction since a bitcoin forum is a target for scammers and spammers.

So many scammers. And they come in all shapes and sizes, so everyone, especially new members, should drill the word "escrow" into their brains.  Wink
A fool and his BTC will always be easily parted, but communities have always been the best defense against predators.

BTCitcointalk 1%ers manipulate the currency and deceive its user community.
jawnzer

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:34:43 AM

Yeah, I didn't know about the posting limit or I would've started a lot sooner. Have the 4 hours, but now I just have to make useless posts in here until I have the limit.
no141

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 11:07:34 PM

I finally joined the site to comment on the ufasoft coin program and I'm stuck in limbo for a while... I have read this forum for probably 100s of hours as a guest. My goodness if they want people to be on the site before posting in other sections, block off the rest of the site from being public, I would have joined more than a year ago!

And the five posts, my goodness I'm not at the point I'm all technical about code, so what 5 garbage posts can I come up with? Other sites I join I have maybe 2 total posts for years of membership, since I can find things out by myself... However when a program keeps on having issues catching up on blocks, I think I can add debug info that would help. So 4 more garbage posts to come...

Mondy

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:32:46 AM

Yeah, I didn't know about the posting limit or I would've started a lot sooner. Have the 4 hours, but now I just have to make useless posts in here until I have the limit.

looks like youre out of jail now! enjoy!

it is a pretty dumb idea tho

mutant

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 01:03:49 AM

I've been a member here for over three years, but haven't before had a reason to post anything (I'm more of a lurker than a poster) so I wasn't even aware I wasn't able to post outside newbie section until now. But now i need to send a PM so here I am making my first post. Guess I just have to wait my hours now (one would think more than 3 years without making a post would be enough to show one is not a spammer).
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:30:16 AM

I've been a member here for over three years, but haven't before had a reason to post anything (I'm more of a lurker than a poster) so I wasn't even aware I wasn't able to post outside newbie section until now. But now i need to send a PM so here I am making my first post. Guess I just have to wait my hours now (one would think more than 3 years without making a post would be enough to show one is not a spammer).

You've waited three years, just three hours to go...
galyan

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:40:06 AM

I can certainly see why the rule is in place but hate missing out on a great a post, insightful information or the answer to a question I may have because the one person out there that could answer my question or that has something legit to say wasn't registered already and didn't feel like waiting four hours or making five posts before they could post.
altora

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:01:20 AM
Last edit: November 19, 2013, 08:27:09 AM by altora

The points about the right to lurk I think are the most important here. If there's no regular amount of posts required to keep your account active (which would prevent lurking), why should there be to get started?
xorl

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:13:45 AM

The restrictions on this forum are sub-par. The part where you have to browse for four hours is kind of reasonable and understandable.

However, having to post 5 times is ridiculous. The reason being is that it encourages spam posts. If you go to the newbies section most of is spam. The reason being is people just spam posts in order to post in the other forums.

This is a terrible idea. Now I have to sit here for four hours before released my project, and I have to make tons of these stupid pointless posts.

Thanks bitcointalk.
I agree!  Wink
BitGroin

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:24:36 AM

Just posting to post...
altora

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:31:15 AM

Just posting to post...

Thanks BitGroin. You reminded me of the importance of READING first, WRITING later.
BitGroin

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:49:02 AM

Glad I could be of service.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: