Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:38:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best exchange to buy bitcoins?  (Read 4083 times)
KSV

Activity: 398
Merit: 250

SVERIGES VIRTUELLA VALUTAVÄXLING

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 09:05:57 PM

I'm thinking of buying around 5 BTC and I'm wondering what the best exchange would be to buy them at.  Previously I would have just gone to MtGox by default, but now with all the bad press they're getting I'm thinking of going else where.  I like the looks of Bitstamp since it looks fairly low cost and easy to use.  Has anyone used it before?  Any good / bad things to say about them?  Suggestions for alternate exchanges?

well that depends where you are located. . .

I live in California.

definitely OTC. . .

Trade Bitcoins @ FYB-SE ---> https://www.fybse.se
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
newmars

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 02:02:29 AM

In US, coinbase and campbx, not quick process for initial order
halfawake (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 11:34:27 PM

I'm thinking of buying around 5 BTC and I'm wondering what the best exchange would be to buy them at.  Previously I would have just gone to MtGox by default, but now with all the bad press they're getting I'm thinking of going else where.  I like the looks of Bitstamp since it looks fairly low cost and easy to use.  Has anyone used it before?  Any good / bad things to say about them?  Suggestions for alternate exchanges?

well that depends where you are located. . .

I live in California.

definitely OTC. . .

What's the advantage of OTC over an exchange, aside from speed?  I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of speed to not have the counterparty risk and all that you have in OTC trades and also the generally lower prices that exchanges have.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
joele
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 02:14:57 PM

I recommend bitfinex.com
NumberFive

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 02:43:34 PM

Coinbase has been good for me.

halfawake (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:09:32 AM

I ended up going with Coinbase.  I wanted to use Bitstamp since their fees are lower, but they have a $15 wire transfer fee for people not in the European Union.  Since I live in California, that fee more than cancelled out the lower fee to exchange dollars into bitcoins.  Even tried funding the Bitstamp account with Ripple, but couldn't figure out how to get money in there from Ripple, so I just decided to go with an easier exchange to put money into.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: