Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:31:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: public key digits to check balance?  (Read 2452 times)
Markus11 (OP)

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:45:02 AM

Hello,
Do i need the whole public key to check balance or are a few digits of the key enough?
Thx alot

IOTA - Donations are welcome:
BZOQCWBWUXBMQFNJ9VKIXSLUAIYSDHMZTILQQWBEMCWAIQITXT9HBUHLJGXU9OYKWJTTUAJMOZECPFB UWKNUXIMUZ9
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:42:49 AM

Hello,
Do i need the whole public key to check balance or are a few digits of the key enough?
Thx alot
Full public key or hash160

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Markus11 (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 01:51:46 PM

Wouldn be the first 8 digits of a private key enough to check Balance??

BZOQCWBWUXBMQFNJ9VKIXSLUAIYSDHMZTILQQWBEMCWAIQITXT9HBUHLJGXU9OYKWJTTUAJMOZECPFB UWKNUXIMUZ9
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 01:52:29 PM

No

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Markus11 (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:25:58 PM

If i copy the first 8 digits of the public adress in your sig i get this:
https://blockchain.info/address/19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3

Still NO it doesnt work?

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:10:07 PM

Still NO it doesnt work?
It works, but it's by no means a definitive match. what you're doing is "firstbits", in which blockchain.info tries to find the first address with the matching prefix is used.

first 8 digits of private key would not work at all, due to how public key cryptography works.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:29:39 PM

Hello,
Thx alot

Still NO it doesnt work?
Three posts, all talking about three different things
Learn your stuff before being so pedantic

By the way, still, NO it doesn't work

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:18:06 PM

Never ever expose your private key to the world if you still want to keep your coins. Your private key is the key to spending coins sent to the corresponding bitcoin address. If you enter it in any website you are liable to get robbed.
Markus11 (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 07:09:16 PM

Type this 8 digits of your PUBLIC KEY from your sig here:
www.blockchain.info
WHAT DO YOU GET?

19QkqAza

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 07:44:40 PM

Definitely too pedantic for me, I won't help you

Markus11 (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:04:28 PM

Thx alot, youre a good example that many posts dont make a professional;-)

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:11:13 PM

Exactly, and many of the big scammers had many posts.
That's how I helped everybody that asked me some help that makes a professional. Yeah, you're the first who ever behaved like this.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 08:21:37 PM

Hello,
Do i I need the whole public key address to check balance or are a few digits of the key public address enough?
Thx alot

You mean like this? http://blockchain.info/address/1BurtW

Does that answer your question?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:35:32 PM

Type this 8 digits of your PUBLIC KEY from your sig here:
www.blockchain.info
WHAT DO YOU GET?

19QkqAza
how fucking dense are you? I already explained how typing partial addresses "worked" in blockchain.info.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 06:29:55 AM

Public Key?  Where would you even get that?

Private key?  No!  You should not be typing the private key into a public website.  The private key can be used to steal/spend your bitcoins.  A partial private key won't tell you ANYTHING about the bitcoin address.  This is just a bad idea all the way around!

Public adress?  You mean the bitcoin address?  Ok, now we are getting somewhere...
If you type the first few characters of a bitcoin address, you will get the first address that ever received bitcoins that uses those starting characters.  Sometimes (such as with 19QkqAza) this will result in the address you are attempting to look up, but that is not guaranteed.  Multiple different addresses could start with the same characters, but only one of them will show up when you search with those characters.  The one that show up might not be the one you are looking for.  It is a very bad idea to rely on firstbits as a way of finding an address.  The fact that it works occasionally is not proof that it works.

Consider the following question:

"Can I identify an animal as a dog if it has fur?"

Then consider the following proof:

"Look right there, I'm pointing to an animal with fur and it is a dog"

Does this mean that I can identify an animal as a dog if it has fur?

You can't use limited examples as proof of your assertion.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: