Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:23:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Please for Crashing Gigabyte 7950's  (Read 1777 times)
odie158 (OP)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 07:26:19 PM

Hi All
I would really love some help solving a problem I am having with my rig. I just installed my second GPU (Gigabyte 7950). Each GPU will mine fine by itself but when I try to start them both my system immediately crashes. I have been using bitminter because of it's ease of use but trying with guiminer I had the same results. I have never been able to figure out cgminer(?). any help at all would be appreciated.
MOBO: MSI 970a g46
GPU's: Gigabyte WF3 Rev2 X2
AMD Sempron 145
PSU: 850W
I am at a real loss here. Should I try the crossfire cables?
Thank You
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 07:31:38 PM

Hi All
I would really love some help solving a problem I am having with my rig. I just installed my second GPU (Gigabyte 7950). Each GPU will mine fine by itself but when I try to start them both my system immediately crashes. I have been using bitminter because of it's ease of use but trying with guiminer I had the same results. I have never been able to figure out cgminer(?). any help at all would be appreciated.
AMD Sempron 145
Thank You

Throw away those crossfires, guiminer and bitminter. 

Learn to use cgminer or bfgminer.  Setup both cards with default clocks. Download GPU-Z to view the RT clocks.

Once you have them both running with the default clocks, increase core on both until you get h/w errors.  Back down with core a bit, start lowering memory until you get significant drop in hash rate.

Download MSI afterburner to set clocks to whatever you want.

mccminer

Activity: 88

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 07:35:34 PM

Have you tried dummy plugs?
jhk753

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 07:37:03 PM

You should also have a look at this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=165490.0
I don't know what OS you use but it might be helpful
odie158 (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 07:37:49 PM

Hi All
AMD Sempron 145
Thank You

Throw away those crossfires, guiminer and bitminter. 

Learn to use cgminer or bfgminer.  Setup both cards with default clocks. Download GPU-Z to view the RT clocks.

Once you have them both running with the default clocks, increase core on both until you get h/w errors.  Back down with core a bit, start lowering memory until you get significant drop in hash rate.

Download MSI afterburner to set clocks to whatever you want.
I am downloading afterburner right now. That's what I thought about the crossfire cables. And I will keep trying in cgminer. Thank You. Any additional input is always appreciated.
odie158 (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 07:57:04 PM

Maybe I am getting some ware with cgminer because it crashed immediately too. I do not think it's a dummy plug issue because it crashes so fast (not even one second). I must do a hard restart to get my computer running again.
mccminer

Activity: 88

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:03:15 PM

What OS are you using?
odie158 (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:07:01 PM

What OS are you using?
Sorry didn't answer before Windows 7
cloudstrife07

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 08:11:31 PM

try disabling PCI-e Gen 3 in the BIOS.  Wink
odie158 (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 06:40:29 AM

Huh Ok, I've figured out how to use cgminer. Made a dummy plug. I only have PCI-e 2.0. Downloaded MSI afterburner. It still won't work with two GPU's though each will work by themselves. This is my next guess: I only have one DIMM of memory (2GB) I am wondering if each GPU needs it's own channel and I need another stick. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 10:00:32 AM

Dummy plugs aren't needed.  I don't know why people keep on rhyming on about them.   Roll Eyes

YOU DON'T NEED DUMMY PLUGS.

*cough*  Now I've got that out - which version of drivers are you using?  I tend to stick to 12.10 drivers - I've had some weird stuff happen with the 13.x drivers.  I'm running a Gigabyte 7950, an Asus 7850 and a Sapphire 6970 all in the same machine, running Win7x64 with 12.10 drivers.  

With the 13.x drivers I had the same problem, CGMINER just crapped out immediately on run "CGMINER.EXE has stopped working".  With 13.x all I could get to run was Reaper for LTC mining.  cgminer wouldn't run at all...

2GB RAM should be plenty.  I'd try cleaning out all the drivers, and try a minimal install of 12.10 - just the driver and the SDK runtime - nothing else.
odie158 (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:29:48 PM

Hi all. I think that I figured out the problem. I cheaped out on the power supply. I had a $50 Kentek 850w power supply and once I finally got both cards running it ran for about 2 minutes then blew up (flash, smoke and everything). I sent the mobo, PSU, power supply, and one of the GPU's back to amazon (great return policy) and got a $120 cooler master 80plus gold certified PSU instead. it is running great with the single card and I have no doubt that it will continue to run well once I gat another card too. the moral of the story is: Don't buy a cheap PSU and Amazon has a great return policy. Thank you to everyone for there help!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: