Bitcoin Forum
July 15, 2024, 05:11:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Asus B250 Mining Expert installation ???  (Read 737 times)
igotek (OP)

Activity: 2086
Merit: 609

Online Security & Investment Corporation

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2017, 10:05:49 PM

How to connect PSU to motherboard ?
I will but this motherboard but I dont know any idea about psu connection. I see 3 big slot on the board.
Should I use add2psu or should I use a special psu ?

I cannot live, I cannot die, trapped in myself.
Hold my breath as I wish for death. Oh please god, help me !
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 10:27:07 PM

The motherboard has three ATX 24-pin connectors to directly connect a PSU, one for each bank. No adapters or cables are needed to link the PSU's
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
October 07, 2017, 10:53:10 PM

I'm not sure if Asus did something to totally block secondary alliance of power, cause if your house has 3 phases and you connect 2 different power sources in the motherboard then you might fry everything.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
kriskarthik

Activity: 258
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 07:03:43 AM

I’ve connected 3 ATX 24 pin power, 8pin EATX (near processor) and 3 AUXPWR (in the side of PCI slots). Upon power on, two other PSU fans are running but main PSU where I connected AUXPWR and EATX is either not working, not even the PSU fan. If I remove the AUXPWR and EATX, the PSU fan stays working but offcouse MOBO is not powered on. What am I doing wrong here? Any suggestion ?

Permonik

Activity: 275
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 08:16:49 AM

I’ve connected 3 ATX 24 pin power, 8pin EATX (near processor) and 3 AUXPWR (in the side of PCI slots). Upon power on, two other PSU fans are running but main PSU where I connected AUXPWR and EATX is either not working, not even the PSU fan. If I remove the AUXPWR and EATX, the PSU fan stays working but offcouse MOBO is not powered on. What am I doing wrong here? Any suggestion ?
Hi, you need to power all 3 molexes and 8pin cpu from the same psu, which is connected to atx connector number one.
kriskarthik

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 09:07:44 AM

Hi, you need to power all 3 molexes and 8pin cpu from the same psu, which is connected to atx connector number one.

Yes I did that. And whatever PSU where I have these connection is not working, meaning even the fan not working. I switched the PSUs but same pattern follows.

shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 09:47:40 AM

You could visit the official site of Asus B250 mining Expert for some references: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B250-MINING-EXPERT/

Just make it as the guide from Asus: if you plan to install 13 GPUs, with lane A & B, just plug all risers in A01 - A06 and B07 - B12.
If more than 13 GPUs, it means you need to use lane C, in the case you have 2 PSUs which could power all your GPUs, use add2psu for lane C.

kriskarthik

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 02:32:32 PM

Ok. I’m restarting everything. No GPU to start with. Just MOBO, processor, RAM and I should get the bios screen. One psu with 24pin atx, 8 pin EATX. No power up. This is driving me nuts. Haha

My other rigs are with ASRock BTC H 110 with 8 GPU rig.

Permonik

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 08:06:27 PM

Ok. I’m restarting everything. No GPU to start with. Just MOBO, processor, RAM and I should get the bios screen. One psu with 24pin atx, 8 pin EATX. No power up. This is driving me nuts. Haha

My other rigs are with ASRock BTC H 110 with 8 GPU rig.
You need to plug 24pin atx, 8pin eatx and all 3x molexes to run. And if it´s not help, just try to reset bios. If it´s not help. You definetly have something wrong with PSU or mobo...
kriskarthik

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 10:37:30 AM

I’m using 2 silver stone psu and 1 cooler mater psu. Somehow I mixed up the wires and I used cooled masters 8pin EATX with silver stone. This is why when I unplugged 8pin EATX the psu fan started worked. All started working fine when used the wires correctly in their native psu. My rig is now up n running, cheers!

So lesson learned: don’t mix up cables in diffident PSUs.

Thanks for those who tried to help me, cheers !!

Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2017, 11:29:13 AM

Thats a really cool motherboard. At what prices did you guys get it at?
kriskarthik

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 04:31:46 PM

Thats a really cool motherboard. At what prices did you guys get it at?

Bought about a week ago in Singapore. I’ve paid SGD 220 which is about USD 160. It shows PCI slot status during not up whether it’s working or not.

kriskarthik

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 10:21:50 AM

Ok, my next set of challenges in B250 lol

1. How to set up “power on bootup”  in this MOBO?
2. How to turn of on-board graphics

Spent some time searching bios option and options seems hidden from my eyes lol

RIGED

Activity: 182
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 10:42:38 PM

i would not mess with the bios too much as its set for mining

read the restrictions on what GPU's you can use in conjuction ie no more than 8 VEGAs

ASUS just released a new bios patch for better stability

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/B250-MINING-EXPERT/HelpDesk_Download/

use the mobo monitor port and not from the GPUs

make sure that PSU powering A section GPUs is also powering their risers and B to B and C to C

you might want to keep this cool too:
https://imgur.com/r0tx9Fh

more info here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2549085.new#new

to mine or not to mine,
is not a question...
kriskarthik

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 01:43:47 AM

Man, really loved your post. Didn’t read them fully yet but just few post at the beginning. Thanks for sharing and I will read them thru. Cheers!!

kriskarthik

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 05:21:26 PM

You have mentioned few times that to keep the memory cool. Are you referring to the RAM or is it the one that you have circled in Red in below image ?

Permonik

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 09:45:54 PM

You have mentioned few times that to keep the memory cool. Are you referring to the RAM or is it the one that you have circled in Red in below image ?

Hi, it is not about to cooling RAM. This component inside the red circle became very hot. The best way is to use some small pasive heatsink 8x8mm is more than enough. I am not sure what exactly this chip is, but I think that it is something for pcie slots communication...
RIGED

Activity: 182
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 09:53:41 PM

Memory temp of the Vega

as gaming puts weight on the vegas cpu the temp you see in wattman and ntool is cpu temp not memory temp which can be 20C higher, because mining and especialy cruptonight puts weight on the vega memory modules

you can use GPUZ to see memory temp, but make sure you run it first before you start the miner (as its a bit heavy for the system to load), and then see your mem temp compared to cpu temp seen on the miner waterfall and wattman and ntool

adjust environment and fan speeds to keep mem temp well below 80C (i like the 50's), gives your cards a longer life too

thnx for the wishes

merry xmas and happy new year

to mine or not to mine,
is not a question...
kriskarthik

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 01:28:42 AM

Hi, it is not about to cooling RAM. This component inside the red circle became very hot. The best way is to use some small pasive heatsink 8x8mm is more than enough. I am not sure what exactly this chip is, but I think that it is something for pcie slots communication...

Yea sure, will do that. Thanks for the reply and tips. I noticed chip is there on the other motherboards as well, like ASTOCK H110 BTC. So the heat problem is only for ASUS B250 motherboard only or is it just a command good practice to keep that component cool?

kriskarthik

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 01:31:21 AM

Memory temp of the Vega

as gaming puts weight on the vegas cpu the temp you see in wattman and ntool is cpu temp not memory temp which can be 20C higher, because mining and especialy cruptonight puts weight on the vega memory modules

you can use GPUZ to see memory temp, but make sure you run it first before you start the miner (as its a bit heavy for the system to load), and then see your mem temp compared to cpu temp seen on the miner waterfall and wattman and ntool

adjust environment and fan speeds to keep mem temp well below 80C (i like the 50's), gives your cards a longer life too

thnx for the wishes

merry xmas and happy new year

Ok, I used GPU-Z only to check whether I got Samsung memory or Hynix memory lol. I check the GPU temp from the afterburner or miner log but never knew that we need to check and control memeory temp. Good information. Thanks.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: