Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:37:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-06-03 Rawstory Federal Reserve studying effect of Paypal and Bitcoin on ..  (Read 1231 times)
bitbitcoins (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

bitbitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 09:34:51 PM

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/03/federal-reserve-studying-effect-of-paypal-and-bitcoin-on-banking/

btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 09:45:43 PM

From the ibtimes on the same story,
The U.S. Federal Reserve is investigating the possible risks in online payment systems like PayPal Inc. and the virtual currency bitcoin, as bankers worry that new online players could disrupt the financial system, officials said at a conference on Monday.

http://www.ibtimes.com/federal-reserve-investigating-bitcoin-paypal-other-online-payment-services-security-breaches-1288785

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
Swapster

Activity: 131
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:37:28 PM

It is absurd that Pay Pal was mentioned in that story, but what really made me angry was that there is a concern by the Fed to protect the banksters and their ripoff fees. They want the fleecing to continue.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:49:34 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2013, 11:16:57 PM by marcus_of_augustus

It is just a pretext they are trying to establish to warrant future criminal intervention to prop up the contract law debt US Federal Reserve note racket.

Basically BitCoin is outside their jurisdiction, their boundary properly ends at dollars. The ECB was trying to use the same gambit. It is a matter for the people (through elected representatives) to decide not unelected bureaucrats guarding their rackets.

They are trying to establish that they have jurisdiction over decentralised crypto-currencies in general as fait accompli when they clearly do not have any legal authority and that debate in Congress has not even happened. It is the same game when they took paper currencies off the gold standard ... do you know anybody who voted on that? The Federal Reserve should have been charged with racketeering when that happened.

Edit:
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who makes its laws."

Mayer Amschel Rothschild 2.0

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:55:00 PM

"Give me control of a nation's world's money bitcoin supply, and I care not who makes its laws."

Mayer Amschel Rothschild 2.0
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 12:11:46 AM

From the ibtimes on the same story,
The U.S. Federal Reserve is investigating the possible risks in online payment systems like PayPal Inc. and the virtual currency bitcoin, as bankers worry that new online players could disrupt the financial system, officials said at a conference on Monday.

http://www.ibtimes.com/federal-reserve-investigating-bitcoin-paypal-other-online-payment-services-security-breaches-1288785

Anyone into etymology or semantics?

The bankers are worried that BTC will disrupt their system. Presumably that implies that they, the bankers, want to "rupt" it.

"rupt-, -rupting, -ruption. (Latin: break, tear, rend; burst)."

http://wordinfo.info/unit/1875

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 01:31:44 AM

The bankers are worried that BTC will disrupt their system. Presumably that implies that they, the bankers, want to "rupt" it.

Actually, that is the etymology of the word "disrupt": the prefix "dis-" can also be an intensifier, as in "disgruntle" (from gruntle to complain) or "distend" (from tendere to stretch).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 01:53:38 AM

It is absurd that Pay Pal was mentioned in that story, but what really made me angry was that there is a concern by the Fed to protect the banksters and their ripoff fees. They want the fleecing to continue.

The Fed is nothing more than a cartel of banks, it shouldn't surprise you that they're trying to protect their own.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
aigeezer
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 02:19:15 AM

Actually, that is the etymology of the word "disrupt": the prefix "dis-" can also be an intensifier, as in "disgruntle" (from gruntle to complain) or "distend" (from tendere to stretch).

I walked into that one but I have an excuse (sorta). Some fifty years ago a philosopher I admired at the time used "gruntled" (for fun) to mean "satisfied", and the usage stuck for me. I didn't realize until just now that he got it from Wodehouse.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-dis1.htm

I'll have to think of some other way to mock the bankers.

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 04:51:08 AM

Federal Reserve Study Meeting - All-Day Session

Topic: Payment System Threats

Agenda
1) Paypal
2) Bitcoin

(Meeting commences)

Chair: "Item 1, Paypal as a payment system threat"
Attendee X: "I have been researching this one. Paypal blacklists not only the Axis of Evil, but dozens of other countries with troublesome banking systems. They dropped Wikileaks like a hot potato. When we say jump, they ask 'How high?'"

Chair: "OK, so that's wrapped up. Item 2..."

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 08:47:24 AM

Federal Reserve Study Meeting - All-Day Session

Topic: Payment System Threats

Agenda
1) Paypal
2) Bitcoin

(Meeting commences)

Chair: "Item 1, Paypal as a payment system threat"
Attendee X: "I have been researching this one. Paypal blacklists not only the Axis of Evil, but dozens of other countries with troublesome banking systems. They dropped Wikileaks like a hot potato. When we say jump, they ask 'How high?'"

Chair: "OK, so that's wrapped up. Item 2..."

attendee y:

"Uh sir, we've got a problem. "
aigeezer
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 11:39:15 AM

Chair: "Have the DHS team arrest the ringleaders. Set up the press conference for Tuesday."
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 11:47:46 AM

"Give me control of a nation's world's money bitcoin supply, and I care not who makes its laws."

Well, good luck with that.

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 11:56:31 AM

The U.S. Federal Reserve is investigating the possible risks benefits in online payment systems like PayPal Inc. and the virtual currency bitcoin, as bankers worry that new online players could disrupt the financial system, officials said at a conference on Monday.

FTFY  Cheesy

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 06:30:59 PM

Well, good luck with that.

I would absolutely LOVE to see a government try to "corner" bitcoin, then realize what they've done. The price swings would be legendary. I have zero fear of a "corner", just knowing what the market dynamics would be.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: