Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:38:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser Engraver?  (Read 1035 times)
davidspitzer (OP)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:39:50 PM

Has anyone contemplated a cheap laser engraver to etch an offline wallet on aluminum or other material?- I thought it might offer more stable long term storage

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:49:19 PM

Drill

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:07:21 PM

label maker

http://sites.dymo.com/Solutions/Pages/Product_Details.aspx?SegmentName=Office(DYMO_US1)&cat=EmbossingLabelMakers(DYMO)&prod=12965(DYMO)&page=1
davidspitzer (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:42:02 PM

its really tough to print a QR code using one of those - I was thinking a paper wallet complete with Codes printed on aluminum or other metal stock (thin but not paper thin)
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 10:45:55 PM

its really tough to print a QR code using one of those - I was thinking a paper wallet complete with Codes printed on aluminum or other metal stock (thin but not paper thin)
No, it is not too hard to do a QR on one.  They will not be as durable as your metal version as even heat or light will make the Dymo fade, but you can pop out a clean QR from a Dymo in no time.

davidspitzer (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:48:09 PM

No, it is not too hard to do a QR on one.  They will not be as durable as your metal version as even heat or light will make the Dymo fade, but you can pop out a clean QR from a Dymo in no time.

your link was to their hand press engraver which only does letters (like the ones used in the 70's)
Geocen

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:58:25 PM

Has anyone contemplated a cheap laser engraver to etch an offline wallet on aluminum or other material?- I thought it might offer more stable long term storage

I've been considering etching like they do with circuit boards or possibly plating. 
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 11:15:26 PM

your link was to their hand press engraver which only does letters (like the ones used in the 70's)

no, it does letters (large and small), numbers, and symbols.
davidspitzer (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 11:43:19 PM

I would like to see how you print a QR code with that particular model  - perhaps one of their electronic, computer connected models but not that one - I suspect you are being intentionally obtuse though at this point
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 11:45:50 PM

I would like to see how you print a QR code with that particular model  - perhaps one of their electronic, computer connected models but not that one - I suspect you are being intentionally obtuse though at this point

QR codes are not the only way to store private keys.

for example, Armory seed and chain codes consist solely of small letters.
davidspitzer (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 11:50:26 PM

Yes you are correct but, But I stated that I wish to find a medium, that I could print QR codes on
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 12:12:28 AM

laser "engravers" are usually for drawing line art. They have really bad shading capability. Usually, if you want something shaded, you would use masking tape + sandblast.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 03:08:43 AM

Yes you are correct but, But I stated that I wish to find a medium, that I could print QR codes on

you did?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: