Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:05:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Bitcoin manipulation by banks  (Read 924 times)
hypersonic1 (OP)

Activity: 311
Merit: 109

Endless Horizons!

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 07:54:59 AM

So now that large Banks and investment firms are starting to get involved, do you think they will try to manufacture crash and correction scares to trigger more doubt and an exodus of "the weak hands"? For some reason I feel like we may see this kind of game play involving bitcoin, unless the exchanges try and do something about it. I know many exchanges have limits to help both themselves and market fluctuations. But imagine a massive sell off that kpe bitcoin at the same price for years or made it go down severely enough to trigger worry among even veteran users.

is this possible?
should more precautions be taken against greedy abuse of the system.
is the system already to resilient to be messed with by them.

thoughts please. Smiley

Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 08:10:48 AM

So now that large Banks and investment firms are starting to get involved,
getting involved with what?
with bitcoin? where is your reference?
with blockchain technology? that has nothing to do with bitcoin. don't confuse the two.

do you think they will try to manufacture crash and correction scares to trigger more doubt and an exodus of "the weak hands"?
the manipulations have been happening all along. or maybe you missed all the recent "China banned bitcoin and mining" FUD! or maybe you missed the previous "Bitcoin will split and die" FUD! or maybe you missed other "China banned bitcoin" FUD, or the last year "Bifinex was hacked bitcoin is dead" FUD Cheesy

you see, manipulation is nothing new. you think that JP Morgan CEO who said some BS was not manipulation?

is this possible?
it is possible and it is happening but severity of things like this have a limit. you can't really push price down after some point the same as you can't push it up after some point. there is a whole lot of market, and it becomes harder as it grows bigger.

Only Bitcoin
Marileno

Activity: 215
Merit: 101

✔ Crypto portfolio | ✔ Telegram/APP

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 08:16:14 AM

Of course some market participants (banks or otherwise) will play the game and look for edge. It would be naive to think this is not already occurring in some shape or form, but will obviously increase as the market grows. This should only be of concern to you if you are a trader and basically competing with them. For everyone else who is just holding what they do short term will have no long term bearing on the value of our assets.
pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2017, 08:17:08 AM

So now that large Banks and investment firms are starting to get involved, do you think they will try to manufacture crash and correction scares to trigger more doubt and an exodus of "the weak hands"? For some reason I feel like we may see this kind of game play involving bitcoin, unless the exchanges try and do something about it. I know many exchanges have limits to help both themselves and market fluctuations. But imagine a massive sell off that kpe bitcoin at the same price for years or made it go down severely enough to trigger worry among even veteran users.

is this possible?

thoughts please. Smiley
Banks are getting involved with block chain technology is because they are interested in it and a unique terminology they haven't seen yet. They want to develop their own crypto and oppose it against bitcoin because they don't like bitcoin but they like block chain at the same time, such a wuss, officials from centralized institutions turn out to be in real life.

Christian13

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 08:38:05 AM

is this possible?

thoughts please. Smiley
I don't think the users will appreciate the involvement of banks since it is one of the main reason why people use bitcoins, to have freedom. If the banks can greatly affect the value of BTC, users might not like using it anymore.
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1263

So anyway, I applied as a merit source :)

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2017, 08:42:48 AM

Banks and other financial institutions consider bitcoin as a threat to their economy since the appearance of a transparent blockchain only makes their corrupted nature more visible. That is why they also cannot accept blockchain technology in their work as well. So they will pay people or themselves work to tear down the image of bitcoin and use scare tactics to make people sell bitcoin and get out of the market. This has been happening for a long time and then people are nowadays becoming more tolerant towards such propaganda. People assume these things to happen and only buy more bitcoin during dips and this is good for the economy.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
hypersonic1 (OP)

Endless Horizons!

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 08:53:40 AM
Last edit: October 08, 2017, 09:17:20 AM by hypersonic1

So now that large Banks and investment firms are starting to get involved,
getting involved with what?
with bitcoin? where is your reference?
with blockchain technology? that has nothing to do with bitcoin. don't confuse the two.

do you think they will try to manufacture crash and correction scares to trigger more doubt and an exodus of "the weak hands"?
the manipulations have been happening all along. or maybe you missed all the recent "China banned bitcoin and mining" FUD! or maybe you missed the previous "Bitcoin will split and die" FUD! or maybe you missed other "China banned bitcoin" FUD, or the last year "Bifinex was hacked bitcoin is dead" FUD Cheesy

you see, manipulation is nothing new. you think that JP Morgan CEO who said some BS was not manipulation?

is this possible?
it is possible and it is happening but severity of things like this have a limit. you can't really push price down after some point the same as you can't push it up after some point. there is a whole lot of market, and it becomes harder as it grows bigger.

(I apologize as i've just gotten of work so i'm in a short answer mood)
No where in my first post I never uttered the words blockchain I know the difference.

JP Morgan has bought some bitcoin, it's all over the forums and reddit and apparently was verified on the ledger. if i'm wrong someone speak up and i'll withdraw this statement. Other banks are on the sidelines considering or putting plans in the works. As for the open ended question, the whole post is about bitcoin on a bitcoin forum, what could they possibly be getting involved in, I bet you it's probably bitcoin.

Getting away from this snarky tone.

Basically they do in fact have the power to buy into bitcoin, my question is does that mean they have the power to boost and dump, that would create far more severe peaks and valleys than we've seen before as opposed to the somewhat gently ones we've seen even considering the 300% rise this year. me personally i'm holding till the cows come home bull or bear market. They have the billions to do such a move is what i'm saying. now at what rate, I don't know. that's something to ask exchanges.

I am worried the banks will try to make one of a few self fulfilling prophecies, and they haven't shown their true strength. Right now they are whining like preschoolers and I hope it stays that way. I worry too about people leaving because of their involvement when it comes to negative actions. I see bitcoin as fairly resistant to it for a whole host of reasons, but is it resistant to a massive 1 billion dollar sell off by one entity? That's more of what i'm worried about.

talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 09:00:23 AM

the thing is bitcoin market is big and it is still getting bigger. "banks" getting involved will be one force in the market, alone. unless they can come up with a way to pool all their resources together and do something in the same direction, it is impossible to manipulate bitcoin more than usual.

also in my opinion when you talk about involvement and manipulation you should also consider their benefit. they don't just do stuff. crashing a market can also mean no recovery, you lose a lot of money if that happens. pumping a market can also mean crash and no recovery and you lose a lot of money again.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
erickkyut

Activity: 1176
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 09:03:34 AM

It is impossible for banks to manipulate Bitcoin. Bitcoin is decentralized. Therefore, banks has no control over it. Aside from that, banks are against Bitcoin. They hate its concept because it is their mutual enemy. I cannot see any possibilities that banks can manipulate Bitcoin even in the future. In fact, Bitcoin can possibly overcome banks.
13abyknight

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 09:08:34 AM

Unless a big bank comes up with a million BTC buy in, it is almost impossible to control and manipulate the price of BTC. I've read instances of banks actually trying to do this kind of a move and have miserably failed in their attempt and ended up settling for a significant loss. Opposing the decentralisation system, any attempts at assessing authority will end up in huge losses for whoever tries.
hypersonic1 (OP)

Endless Horizons!

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 09:18:46 AM

Unless a big bank comes up with a million BTC buy in, it is almost impossible to control and manipulate the price of BTC. I've read instances of banks actually trying to do this kind of a move and have miserably failed in their attempt and ended up settling for a significant loss. Opposing the decentralisation system, any attempts at assessing authority will end up in huge losses for whoever tries.

very interesting! I was wondering if you can link me to a post or tell where you observed this. I would love a fun read haha.

BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2017, 09:35:02 AM

in some countries like China, it is illegal for banks to invest in bitcoin. (this was a law set in motion back in 2011ish). possibly in other places too.

additionally things that are considered manipulation of any market is considered highly illegal in almost all countries. and this is a serious financial crime.

with these said, it is not easy for banks which are heavily regulated and watched to enter bitcoin market and try to manipulate it. and banks' money is borrowed money. it is not their own which makes it worse!

--looking for signature--
capensis

Activity: 96
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 09:39:31 AM

The price of the entire market , BTC and all alt coins , is now totally controlled by one large blue whale who have many tens of billions of dollars to play with and this whale is skimming massive profits using trading bots/volatility software. I would say that 90% plus of all of the trading volume is the whales creating activity in the market place. The exchanges allow these whales to operate on their platforms b/c it is more profit for them. See topic below.

The Truth about Cryptocurrency

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1931694.0
matuson

Activity: 420
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 09:44:08 AM

The price of the entire market , BTC and all alt coins , is now totally controlled by one large blue whale who have many tens of billions of dollars to play with and this whale is skimming massive profits using trading bots/volatility software. I would say that 90% plus of all of the trading volume is the whales creating activity in the market place. The exchanges allow these whales to operate on their platforms b/c it is more profit for them. See topic below.

Maybe you're right but what difference does it make. People who have the ability to trade on the bitcoin exchange happy that the roller coaster can make good money and they are not whales. B prevents will learn to understand the trends and copy the behavior of robots if there are any.
aoluain
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1282

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 09:51:50 AM

Inwould have thought that the markets are being manipulated
to some degree either directly and/or indirectly.

I dont know but maybe as the market gets bigger its harder
To manipulate or the effects wont be as severe, thats just
Me thinking out loud, i have no scientific proof for this  Undecided

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Zorbak

Activity: 167
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 09:55:45 AM

All markets are manipulated so Bitcoin will not be an exception.

And since private banks can create money without any backup would be easy for them to manipulate but as BTC gets mature will be more difficult for them.
capensis

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 10:02:10 AM

Maybe you're right but what difference does it make. People who have the ability to trade on the bitcoin exchange happy that the roller coaster can make good money and they are not whales. B prevents will learn to understand the trends and copy the behavior of robots if there are any.

agree you can still trade following trends to make profit.
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 10:02:30 AM

is this possible?

thoughts please. Smiley

They won't actually need scare stories - the banks have so much money in their propritary trading accounts they can move the price by themselves without needing weak hands to do it.

They're super whales if you like.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
frowsiter

Activity: 714
Merit: 261

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 10:09:20 AM

Let me tell you bitcoin and banks are real enemy of each other and banks will try to create conflicts against bitcoin for sure. No doubt bitcoin is being used by big firms and exchanger to make their ways easier through the transaction portal. But there are banks who comes in the picture when the transaction is to be made into fiat currency. They will just bring up all the questions against the the transaction do that they can not allow the system to flow in multidirectional ways.

Exchangers can not and will never be able to do anything about it in the first place because they are already outlawed by regulatory authorities. So for them it's like nil before me situation and they will just get manipulated by the big bankers. Who knows where this will lead in the future.
capensis

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 10:16:57 AM

All markets are manipulated so Bitcoin will not be an exception.

And since private banks can create money without any backup would be easy for them to manipulate but as BTC gets mature will be more difficult for them.

I do not see that the whale who has the bot , whether it is a bank/s ,hedge fund/s , or whoever will let the market grow past a certain point before they crash it time and time again to grab the profits to pay investors .Then at the bottom they also buy up a lot of the cheap coins and play the game again. With the volume of money at their disposal to play with they have complete control.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: