Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 09:26:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can a determined country block bitcoin?  (Read 218 times)
CryForA (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 04:04:32 PM

is there a way to block bitcoin by the government of some country?
willnotwas

Activity: 286

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 07:42:35 PM

In my opinion, the main restriction will be the prohibition of accepting payments to bitcoin and its exchange for national currencies.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 08:14:18 PM

No. Not completely anyway. There are different things a government can do to make it harder, they could always run after the Bitcoin users and the ways they transact their coins, but they will never be 100% successful. Blocking all Bitcoin nodes and the Tor network (Tor network is incredibly hard to block and is a challenge on it's own without removing the Internet itself) would be a start, but you would still find many people bypassing the restrictions, since Bitcoin blockchain is literally broadcasted all over the globe with Blockstream's satellites. They will just need to upload transactions to the rest of the network, which are very small and need to be done very rarely, especially with the introduction of the Lightning Network.

Bitcoin is getting harder to block every year and it already reached a massive point of no return where the biggest states would have enormous trouble of making that a reality, if they had economic incentive to do so in the first place.
geac.xraekhurcoe

Activity: 85

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2017, 08:46:22 PM

I think only countries with big firewalls like China can really do something. For the others they can ban and trust their people will not use just because they banned. But there is always ways to bypass any available method to block the network.

҉ Planet QYBB   ҉
Almat

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 03:47:59 AM

Shut down exchanges, don't let vendors accept it, and threaten citizens with jail time if found trading. They're not going to be able to get rid of it completely, but these should be enough to discourage 99% of the population to just drop it. Blocking Bitcoin itself at the protocol level alone would simply be too much of a hassle and has workarounds.
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 03:55:33 AM

Shut down exchanges, don't let vendors accept it, and threaten citizens with jail time if found trading. They're not going to be able to get rid of it completely, but these should be enough to discourage 99% of the population to just drop it. Blocking Bitcoin itself at the protocol level alone would simply be too much of a hassle and has workarounds.

I disagree. Regulations in a country can certainly prevent the running of exchanges in that country as well as foreign exchanges or similar providers from servicing that country, but it is effectively impossible to block it completely because of its decentralized nature. Even the Great Firewall would not be able to block new sites that transact in Bitcoin and even if the bitcoin protocol itself is blocked in a country, it would only affect full nodes running on people's computers. They would literally have to ban every site accepting bitcoin and even then, bitcoin can also be transacted in person thanks to the crypto technology being online-independent. All that is needed is a valid transaction to be generated, whether online or offline, and someone, not necessarily the sender, to broadcast that transaction.

There simply isn't enough reason that could discourage people from using Bitcoin.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
whitemacna

Activity: 123

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 01:23:23 PM

In my opinion, the main restriction will be the prohibition of accepting payments to bitcoin and its exchange for national currencies.Bitcoin is getting harder to block every year and it already reached a massive point of no return where the biggest states would have enormous trouble of making that a reality, if they had economic incentive to do so in the first place.
ALI AKBAR

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 09:14:48 AM

Only exchanges will be closed. So that the seller could not accept it. If the trading is available then the threat to the citizens. They are not fully freed from it. To reduce the 99% of this population, we have to work so that it can be dropping. Blocking it at protocol level only is a hassle and effective.
waitforme

Activity: 618
Merit: 100

BBOD The Best Derivatives Exchange

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 09:18:34 AM

Before my country banned Bitcoin, negative information appeared on national television. Bitcoin is considered an economic hot spot, but only as a negative impact on the economy and the nation.

jayveerastrullo

Activity: 266
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 09:24:41 AM

For a government or country block bitcoin there must be a valid and strong reason. Like, someone of there citizen has been hacked with big amount or users scam other users.

❤   humancoin   ❤ (https://www.humancoin.net/)
Join our whitelist!
█A new era of charity █
Gifolote

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 09:38:21 AM

it is only necessary for the country to prohibit bitcoin at the legislative level and responsibility for its use. I think not many people in this country will go for violation of the law
acha1217

Activity: 560
Merit: 104

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 09:45:11 AM

Government can Block Bitcoin by block website of market exchange, all website with buy and sell service blocked, so people at that country can't buy crypto coin, because all site was blocked.
But I think some country has their own trick to block it, but we don't know it!
And I think if many country Block or banned cryptocurrency, that's a bad thing for us and can make crypto price drop so far. And I hope will be more country legalize bitcoin, because I think Bitcoin can change our future life to be better, but if we can use it in a good way.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: