Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:58:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: brave new world  (Read 1695 times)
FoBoT

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:17:15 PM

Autarchism (from Greek, "belief in self rule") is a political philosophy that upholds the principle of individual liberty, rejects compulsory government, and supports the elimination of government in favor of ruling oneself and no other. Advocates of the philosophy are autarchist (from Greek, "one who believes in self rule"), while the state in which everyone rules themselves and no one else is called autarchy (from Greek αὐταρχία autarchia, "state of self rule")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autarchism
Ralph Waldo Emerson, although he did not call himself an autarchist, is considered to have espoused autarchy. Philip Jenkins has stated that "Emersonian ideas stressed individual liberation, autarchy, self-sufficiency and self-government, and strenuously opposed social conformity.".

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/30200/pg30200.txt
FoBoT

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 09:52:03 PM

and this

DEMOCRACY. The theory that two thieves will steal less than one, and
three less than two, and four less than three, and so on _ad infinitum_;
the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to
get it good and hard.
- H.L. Mencken
hawkeye

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:20:00 AM

Maybe everyone gets to vote! massive voting system an all major issues, lets not have a Government because that implies we need governing like inmates, What we need is an administration to get done what the voters demand.
Brave new world based on a tamper proof voting system.

Isn't that just the tyranny of the majority?  Who cares what 49% of people think, they should be forced to go along with what the 51% want?

God help you if you are in a minority group.

It seems you would prefer tyranny of the minority instead. The end-game of such a system would be 0.000001% being the smallest minority, and therefore the dictator, or should I say Dear Leader.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that democracies are better than dictatorships. So yeah, god help you if you want to be a dictator because I sure won't.

Roll Eyes
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:37:49 AM

Roll Eyes

The feeling is mutual.  It's beyond grasping straws at this point.

blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 09:27:57 PM

Roll Eyes

The feeling is mutual.  It's beyond grasping straws at this point.

Zero imagination you lot. Do I have to explain all the intermediate steps between a 49 million person minority and a 1 person minority? Dictators and kings are a minority -- they are considered special and wholly different from their peasant subjects. So stop being so closed-minded and stupid. Roll Eyes right back at you.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 11:33:34 PM

Zero imagination you lot. Do I have to explain all the intermediate steps between a 49 million person minority and a 1 person minority? Dictators and kings are a minority -- they are considered special and wholly different from their peasant subjects. So stop being so closed-minded and stupid. Roll Eyes right back at you.

What I meant is this:

Hawkeye never mentioned a thing about dictatorship; he only said that 51% of a nation having control over 100% of the nation is unfavorable.  Of course a Dictatorship is worse.  Either systems suck.  The best method is when one person has control over one person's life, their own, and only their own; by no other means can we achieve liberty, which, as you've shown, you're completely against, but that's okay because that's another argument which I won't go in circles with you again.  By saying you're grasping at straws, I mean, you're taking something, twisting it into something else, and then attacking people on your modified version, essentially putting your words in his mouth, in the hopes that someone will argue with you so you can point out why the status quo is fuckin' rad.

With all of this in mind, it's hard not to simply Roll Eyes, because it gets old, and you do it a lot, whether or not you realize you're doing it.

hawkeye

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:25:40 AM

Yeah, I want to be a dictator.  I want to dictate my own actions.  We all should want that.

Democracy leads to dictatorship.   An economy gets wrecked, because of central planning which then makes the people ripe to want a leader to look after them.  That process is happening right now in America and across the West.  People are crying out for "leaders".   People should consult history to see what that means.  Do I need to mention how certain groups are getting demonised in society.  This is all very reminiscent. 

Power is dangerous.  If we disperse power around society it becomes much less dangerous.

But I've said this before.  If you feel safer in your own little commune or democratic type system group, if you want a leader/s, that's fine with me.  Freedom of association.  You just don't have the right to subsume me and my property into your system just because I live in the same general geographical area.
blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 08:48:17 AM

What I meant is this:

Hawkeye never mentioned a thing about dictatorship; he only said that 51% of a nation having control over 100% of the nation is unfavorable.  Of course a Dictatorship is worse.  Either systems suck.  The best method is when one person has control over one person's life, their own, and only their own; by no other means can we achieve liberty, which, as you've shown, you're completely against, but that's okay because that's another argument which I won't go in circles with you again.  By saying you're grasping at straws, I mean, you're taking something, twisting it into something else, and then attacking people on your modified version, essentially putting your words in his mouth, in the hopes that someone will argue with you so you can point out why the status quo is fuckin' rad.
Yeah yeah, attack the messenger, ignore the message. You seem to be putting words in my mouth, hypocrite.
supernovax

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 01:23:14 PM

I've used this a few times. If I don't have the votes to, say, move it to my city then I'll use my votes to give it to someone else and get a diplomatic boost.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: