Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:00:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL creates new charity project to donate 1000 BTC to [ROFL!]  (Read 8492 times)
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 12:47:21 AM

Well ... I will say I find this thread amusing for a different reason.

It's an argument about what they should do with the 1000BTC - rather than many posts before in other threads about saying they wouldn't do anything Smiley

Personally, I do think it's great that they are giving it away, even if it isn't to those that specific people want it to be given.

Hell I'd say yeah why give any of it to Luke-Jr - I can't stand the guy - he is indeed a low life with an agenda.
But that's their choice ... IMO.

It doesn't matter who they give it to, there will be some who claim there are others more deserving of it.
But as for actually giving it away, there certainly is some amount of it that it has happened with so far, and it is easy to see the amount and where it is going by looking at that address

You may be a great programmer, but you are a terrible human being.

Who knew you could buy people over so easily? One Jally is all that it took to make someone bend. I understand Kano bending to the weight of a jally because he really does only seem to be out to cover his own ass in his own statements. I see it as a mere byproduct that his programming skills are put to good use in the BitCoin Community.

Luke though, as a Christian I can't help but wonder. It took "that little" to make you bend...

Make sure when you both throw stones at each other that it doesn't bounce off your heads and right back at you both.

Very Disappointing.

-------------------------

The only one who has come out clean despite all the "donations" and "gift" giving through programming was cklovias. The funny thing is people call him by his name Con, yet his actions are (as observed) nothing but above par in every respect.

Kano do me a favor, and never show up in the same thread as cklovias. You'd tarnish his name just by being present. Thanks.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 12:54:01 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1fq0kn/bfl_donates_1000_bitcoins_to_charity_after_losing/
erschiessen

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 01:04:58 AM

Could have been a bunch of horseshit, but there are dudes on this forum that are trying to do good via BTC.

Bicknellski (I think) helps a Montessouri school in Indonesia.

I recall someone with a signature line about building homes for the homeless, with BTC.

I hope these folks are helped out by the BFL "charity".

Your Message Here
12KHW3i2Hamk1irY8b181N4vMXUnVYL1ah
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 1635

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 02:45:29 AM

The only one who has come out clean despite all the "donations" and "gift" giving through programming was cklovias. The funny thing is people call him by his name Con, yet his actions are (as observed) nothing but above par in every respect.
Thanks.
Thanks very much for your kind words.

I did indeed receive 50BTC. It was a totally unsolicited and unexpected donation without any notification from BFL, so it took me half a day to figure out where it even came from. It is most welcome and admittedly I do request BTC "donations" in my documentation.

I can be easily convinced to work on code that I don't object to (e.g. I will not support botnet or cpu mining code) for donations but I will not be the spokesperson for anyone else, nor will I try to police a company or person's behaviour. I prefer to stick to code and the technical details only and let others debate the rest.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 03:01:54 AM
Last edit: June 06, 2013, 03:22:53 AM by Bicknellski

Thanks.
Thanks very much for your kind words.

I did indeed receive 50BTC. It was a totally unsolicited and unexpected donation without any notification from BFL, so it took me half a day to figure out where it even came from. It is most welcome and admittedly I do request BTC "donations" in my documentation.

I can be easily convinced to work on code that I don't object to (e.g. I will not support botnet or cpu mining code) for donations but I will not be the spokesperson for anyone else, nor will I try to police a company or person's behaviour. I prefer to stick to code and the technical details only and let others debate the rest.

+1

Respect. It may not be in your nature to police a company or person but at some point one has to take issue with certain behaviors in any community. Sitting idle and being a passive observer can also be damaging to that community. Some times leaders need to stand up and lead. Your actions may do that by sticking to code and tech details but at times it may require you to take a clear stand against predatory people and companies. That is not directed at you but the WHOLE community especially those with technical skills that often shape this community. Personally I would rather deal with those who provide value to the whole community but also demonstrate a strong ethical and honest stance on important matters in the community and that is who I want to work with.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Bicknellski

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 03:07:49 AM
Last edit: June 06, 2013, 03:18:38 AM by Bicknellski

Could have been a bunch of horseshit, but there are dudes on this forum that are trying to do good via BTC.

I recall someone with a signature line about building homes for the homeless, with BTC.

LOL! Do more than help. I own the school.

I don't think we need BTC from BFL to keep going but yes there are certainly many charities that could further bitcoin and altcoins in new places.

I was sort of tongue and cheek asking for BFL donations.

Our school will be building miners with students. The proceeds from the mining go into at scholarship fund for needy students and non-profit micro loan foundation that our students will administrate and then use to reach out in our local area to needy families.

The thing as a Montessorian and this whole affair is the whole inequity and lack of ethical behavior at every turn and it is shocking given the reality that a 6 year old can and will choose right from wrong each and every day given the right environment. At this point supporting BFL is not really productive for anyone but those with a vested interest in getting mining rigs they were promised delivered. Sickening they have waited this long and it is sickening they will continue to wait.

Honesty and ethics can be part of any environment... all one has to do is choose to be ethical and honest it is simple as that.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 04:07:38 AM

LOL! Do more than help. I own the school.

I don't think we need BTC from BFL to keep going but yes there are certainly many charities that could further bitcoin and altcoins in new places.

I was sort of tongue and cheek asking for BFL donations.

Our school will be building miners with students. The proceeds from the mining go into at scholarship fund for needy students and non-profit micro loan foundation that our students will administrate and then use to reach out in our local area to needy families.
You have my deep respect.

What you are doing with BitCoin is in so many way, what a real charity is supposed to be about. Building, not just handing out money for the sake of a tax break.

(Note: If people think a BitCoin is worth alot in Dollars, imagine how much it is worth in other nations where the income stream for the average person is well below what people enjoy in their home nation.)

The thing as a Montessorian and this whole affair is the whole inequity and lack of ethical behavior at every turn and it is shocking given the reality that a 6 year old can and will choose right from wrong each and every day given the right environment. At this point supporting BFL is not really productive for anyone but those with a vested interest in getting mining rigs they were promised delivered. Sickening they have waited this long and it is sickening they will continue to wait.

Honesty and ethics can be part of any environment... all one has to do is choose to be ethical and honest it is simple as that.
In light of your efforts, your words carry significant weight.

BFL? Well, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it never ceases being a pig. (In my opinion)
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 04:13:21 AM

I don't have an issue with BFL giving 50 BTC to Ckolivas and Lukejr for their time and effort coding mining software. I do however have an issue with them making said payments under the guise of a charity donation.

When the initial charity bet was made by BFL, I was under the impression the 1000 BTC would go to a REAL charity that helps people that are of REAL need to be helped. Charities help people in need... people that are starving, people that are thirsty, people that don't have homes, etc.

No offense meant by this, but it doesn't seem like either ckolivas or lukejr fit the mold as people whom a charity would help. It seems like the both have a roof over their heads, food, and water.

I'm disappointed to say the least, but not surprised at all considering we are talking about BFL.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 04:20:03 AM

I wonder if Theymos made the "Trust" segment in expectation of this and will just say "Okay, I finally agree that BFL are a bit shady but now we can just give their forum account negative feedback if you feel like it. Thanks for playing!"

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 04:30:39 AM

I don't have an issue with BFL giving 50 BTC to Ckolivas and Lukejr for their time and effort coding mining software. I do however have an issue with them making said payments under the guise of a charity donation.

When the initial charity bet was made by BFL, I was under the impression the 1000 BTC would go to a REAL charity that helps people that are of REAL need to be helped. Charities help people in need... people that are starving, people that are thirsty, people that don't have homes, etc.

No offense meant by this, but it doesn't seem like either ckolivas or lukejr fit the mold as people whom a charity would help. It seems like the both have a roof over their heads, food, and water.

I'm disappointed to say the least, but not surprised at all considering we are talking about BFL.

Let me ask this: How will BFL declare these two donations on their tax return forms? Since neither entity is a sanctioned NPO, I doubt it'll be filed as a charitable donation. And since it can't be filed as such, there's still 1000K BTC to be given away to charities that are approved as such in the IRS' eyes.

Looks to me, BFL fucked up again.
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 04:32:07 AM

I wonder if they are bothering to use old coins, or they're just throwing the new ones they made into it......

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 04:36:44 AM

I wonder if they are bothering to use old coins, or they're just throwing the new ones they made into it......

Keep in mind some of BFL Big players, ie multiple mini rigs etc are co located there and receive special treatment. That blip you see may be one or several of their prototype rigs and not BFL itself mining.
Bicknellski

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 04:42:47 AM

In light of your efforts, your words carry significant weight.

BFL? Well, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it never ceases being a pig. (In my opinion)

I take my lead in this community from the following people not in any order.

John K
Everyone on the Avalon Team
Those who continually 'Troll BFL' in order to educate the community about their unethical practices
Those who defend BFL but understand that they are shady and probably unethical (we need balance)
BKKCoins
Makku
Jtimon
Galambo
TheSeven and the team behind the X6500 fpga!

... and many many more people who do give back to this community that I do not know of yet.

The reason so many are pissed is the real beauty of the community. People are not here sitting back and taking the bullshit, they are fighting the hypocrisy in the community. There is also a healthy and respected core of humanity that far out weighs the scammers and douchebags which is pretty much the reality on this planet. Most people are honest, hard working and willing and able to share their knowledge and work and are respected and rewarded for the most part we can obviously do more for the likes for Ckolivas, Bkkcoins, TheSeven and JohnK as well as others who give back to the community. That is where I want to focus my students attention to those who have skills, who give to the community and are respected in their fields. I am just a teacher and I get all the respect I need or crave in the classroom when my students achieve anything.

Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 04:47:17 AM

Would be nice to toss come coins to Breast, Colon, Lung, Liver, and other Cancer Research Organizations.

Every little bit helps.

A friend of mine is going through a second round of battle with Colon Cancer that metastasized in his lungs and liver. Had surgery a week and a half ago to remove three nodules from his lungs. He's going to start on chemo for 6 weeks to shrink the tumor in his liver down to a more operable size before they put him under the knife a third time to cut this batch out. Then resume chemo for a few more months.

Imagine that. Getting Colon Cancer mets in your lungs and liver.

Didn't know cancer worked that way. Blows my freaking mind and learn something new every day.

Cancer fucking sucks.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 04:50:38 AM

http://imageshack.us/a/img196/103/globalhashmoststablemin.png

This conspiracy was debunked a while back. Notice the spike is right in the middle of the continental United States.

Apparently, this is how the data is displayed from all aggregate unknown sources in the US. It is drawn in the middle of the country, which coincidentally just happens to be near our favorite Bitcoin related company.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 05:01:42 AM

Let me ask this: How will BFL declare these two donations on their tax return forms? Since neither entity is a sanctioned NPO, I doubt it'll be filed as a charitable donation. And since it can't be filed as such, there's still 1000K BTC to be given away to charities that are approved as such in the IRS' eyes.

Looks to me, BFL fucked up again.

yeah but half of these aren't charities at all..  I have no doubt that BFL will bolt before next April to avoid dealing with an impossible tax filing

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 05:07:29 AM

http://imageshack.us/a/img196/103/globalhashmoststablemin.png

This conspiracy was debunked a while back. Notice the spike is right in the middle of the continental United States.

Apparently, this is how the data is displayed from all aggregate unknown sources in the US. It is drawn in the middle of the country, which coincidentally just happens to be near our favorite Bitcoin related company.
Ok, I have seen that.  Are these people masking their IP address?  If not we should be able to get the region, if so we wouldn't even know what country, right?

I'm not convinced of anything anymore.  There are already people publicly compromised by money in this situation.

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
btcusr

Activity: 405
Merit: 255

@_vjy

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 05:19:08 AM

Smiley

Received transactions: 12
Received BTC: 3 594.3929
Sent transactions: 9
Sent BTC: 2 820.4466

http://blockexplorer.com/address/1ERVh27gZfPSDaaagL9R3W12xpMJ38ZBA7

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4508
Merit: 1815

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 10:24:38 AM

Well ... I will say I find this thread amusing for a different reason.

It's an argument about what they should do with the 1000BTC - rather than many posts before in other threads about saying they wouldn't do anything Smiley

Personally, I do think it's great that they are giving it away, even if it isn't to those that specific people want it to be given.

Hell I'd say yeah why give any of it to Luke-Jr - I can't stand the guy - he is indeed a low life with an agenda.
But that's their choice ... IMO.

It doesn't matter who they give it to, there will be some who claim there are others more deserving of it.
But as for actually giving it away, there certainly is some amount of it that it has happened with so far, and it is easy to see the amount and where it is going by looking at that address

You may be a great programmer, but you are a terrible human being.

Who knew you could buy people over so easily? One Jally is all that it took to make someone bend. I understand Kano bending to the weight of a jally because he really does only seem to be out to cover his own ass in his own statements. I see it as a mere byproduct that his programming skills are put to good use in the BitCoin Community.

Luke though, as a Christian I can't help but wonder. It took "that little" to make you bend...

Make sure when you both throw stones at each other that it doesn't bounce off your heads and right back at you both.

Very Disappointing.

-------------------------

Kano do me a favor, and never show up in the same thread as cklovias. You'd tarnish his name just by being present. Thanks.
Amusing quote - the one part of my post you removed is the bit that shows BFL donating 75 BTC to a 'charity'

Funny. Yes I'm laughing at you - not with you Tongue

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 10:43:15 AM

Whatever as long as cgminer and armory get some, same thing

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: