Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 02:51:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL creates new charity project to donate 1000 BTC to [ROFL!]  (Read 8492 times)
iammagicmike

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 10:53:21 AM

OK... This should do it for a scammer tag.

cedivad,

It's refreshing to finally agree with you on something.  Today, our cynicisms are parallel.

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

LTC: LPGSryKuT2BaEcDBg6VWHwusXj5N8ynu3M
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 11:57:47 AM

Guys! You are way to negative!

Look at the comments on Butterfly Labs forum. Their shills BFL staff faithful customers are quite happy with BFLs "charity project":

Why not donate a coin or two? To the "More hookers for Sonny & Josh" charity fund:

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
Stack

Activity: 238

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 01:14:16 AM

Why not donate a coin or two? To the "More hookers for Sonny & Josh" charity fund:

Finally! someone commenting not on where the 100btc is going, but the fact that BFL are ASKING FOR DONATIONS! That's the real WTF.
They actually managed to twist the words "we will donate" all the way around into "please donate to us"

FCTaiChi

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 02:43:32 AM

Someone mentioned trust.  (marketplace trust)

Unfortunate that trust will totally fail us in this situation, as they aren't actively promoting themselves through a specific user name.  Inaba is of course the name of the CEO, but unless that was consistently promoted the newbs buying from BFL won't know.

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:59:09 AM

Inaba is of course the name of the CEO

COO.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 03:53:29 AM

I just took the time to read it and found somebody questioning my integrity pertaining to Bitcoin100.org, therefore I had to reply.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 03:56:09 AM

I just took the time to read it and found somebody questioning my integrity pertaining to Bitcoin100.org, therefore I had to reply.

Ooooo Gossip.

You, my friend, don't have a clue. I'm probably one of the few bitcoiners that could be fully trusted.
As seen in the post below this by Rassah, I gave up Bitcoin100 and am working with them for a smooth transition, with myself being part of it in a lesser capacity.
Rassah, who I believe is a very trusty guy, takes care of all the money transactions, with me not being able to touch a single satoshi, as intended when I set it up to show trust.
Currently, I'm out over $100K due to the InstaWallet fiasco, all because I put faith in people I thought I could trust.
I believe you owe me an apology.

Bruno K.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 03:57:12 AM

Ooooo Gossip.

But it hurt my feelings and made me cry.  Grin
computerparts

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 04:52:38 AM

smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 06:30:42 AM

PG you would think BFL would actually donate to your charity huh?

Nope. I wonder why.  Roll Eyes

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 06:57:04 AM

PG you would think BFL would actually donate to your charity huh?

Nope. I wonder why.  Roll Eyes

About a month ago I received a PM from a bitcoiner who approached Josh with this and in no uncertain terms he said that he wouldn't as long as I was I at the helm, so I stepped down.
Mabsark
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 01:55:25 PM

Yeah, BFL are proper scummy! They donated 75 BTC to SeansOutpost to feed the homeless! THE HOMELESS! Can you believe that? What more proof do you need that BFL are scammers and their "charity foundation" is simply their latest scam!
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 02:01:33 PM

The way they do it is shady and to benefit themselves. They do it through their foundation and for press.

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:19:18 PM

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
vlaoou321

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:38:45 PM

butterflylabs Cheater

Reputation https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=198808.new#new
Tip: 1CtNCGTyhVkp6AzRwhTsqjkWgwCqk1vSjA
FloridaBear

Activity: 260

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:57:48 PM

The organization they have set up seems to only deal in BTC, and therefore could operate completely unregulated--it's not a true "charity" or 501(c)(3) non-profit. It's just made-up.

The IRS has no record of a "Bitcoin Development Fund" as a tax-exempt organization (or even anything with "bitcoin" in the name). I seriously doubt they have actually created a charity, but rather a website that claims to be a "charity," and is in reality just a project by BFL. Until I see evidence that they are truly a 501(c)(3) organization, this is totally bogus. BFL itself calls it a "project," with a web site, and not a charity. I assume that means it's entirely administered by BFL. They can literally pay whomever they want without any scrutiny by any government or other organization, or even anyone outside BFL. How is that a charity?

Now, if this "project" donates to actual tax-exempt charities, that would qualify in my mind towards the 1000 BTC donation promise. But until such time as they have donated 1000 BTC of their own profit, this "promise" is not fulfilled.

Shame on you, BFL, for such a horrible effort. The proper way to do this would have been to set up a true 501(c)(3) (preferably managed by person(s) outside of BFL), and then used Bitpay (or whatever) to donate the USD equivalent to the new organization. It needs its own EID and tax-exempt status for donations from others. It would only be able to donate to other 501(c)(3) charities, or do actual charitable work. They could have immediately satisfied the 1000BTC promise by doing that, but instead created this "pseudo-charity" under the BFL umbrella. Of course, their way lets them control (e.g. hold) the vast majority of that 1000 BTC for as long as they want.
chiropteran

Activity: 348

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 02:59:35 PM

This thread is hilarious.  BFL did as agreed.  You don't like how they did it? Go cry me a river.  If you wanted the 1000 BTC bet to apply to a SPECIFIC charity, it should have been described as such in the original bet.  Only an idiot would agree to a non-specific bet and then complain about the results.

Mabsark
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 03:05:08 PM

The organization they have set up seems to only deal in BTC, and therefore could operate completely unregulated--it's not a true "charity" or 501(c)(3) non-profit. It's just made-up.

The IRS has no record of a "Bitcoin Development Fund" as a tax-exempt organization (or even anything with "bitcoin" in the name). I seriously doubt they have actually created a charity, but rather a website that claims to be a "charity," and is in reality just a project by BFL. Until I see evidence that they are truly a 501(c)(3) organization, this is totally bogus. BFL itself calls it a "project," with a web site, and not a charity. I assume that means it's entirely administered by BFL. They can literally pay whomever they want without any scrutiny by any government or other organization, or even anyone outside BFL. How is that a charity?

Now, if this "project" donates to actual tax-exempt charities, that would qualify in my mind towards the 1000 BTC donation promise. But until such time as they have donated 1000 BTC of their own profit, this "promise" is not fulfilled.

Shame on you, BFL, for such a horrible effort. The proper way to do this would have been to set up a true 501(c)(3) (preferably managed by person(s) outside of BFL), and then used Bitpay (or whatever) to donate the USD equivalent to the new organization. It needs its own EID and tax-exempt status for donations from others. It would only be able to donate to other 501(c)(3) charities, or do actual charitable work. They could have immediately satisfied the 1000BTC promise by doing that, but instead created this "pseudo-charity" under the BFL umbrella. Of course, their way lets them control (e.g. hold) the vast majority of that 1000 BTC for as long as they want.

Butterfly Labs / Bitcoin Development Fund just bought 7300 meals for the homeless
FloridaBear

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 03:08:44 PM

This thread is hilarious.  BFL did as agreed.  You don't like how they did it? Go cry me a river.  If you wanted the 1000 BTC bet to apply to a SPECIFIC charity, it should have been described as such in the original bet.  Only an idiot would agree to a non-specific bet and then complain about the results.

Did as agreed? Absolutely not. The agreement was to "donate to charity," not to start some pseudo-charity fund that is not even a real charity. FAIL.
FloridaBear

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 03:15:57 PM

Yes, and I commend that donation--even though I don't think Sean's Outpost is an actual 501(c)(3), they're doing good work. The EFF is also a legit donation. Donations to cgminer and BFGminer are very questionable and have conflict of interest written all over them. So I will give them credit for 126 BTC (12.6%) of their agreement. Since they "wasted" 100 BTC, I believe they will never fulfill their 1000BTC agreement.

My point was that since they are not an actual charity, there is no oversight, and BFL still "owns" nearly 800 BTC of the initial "endowment." We will see where that goes, and how long it takes to get there.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: