Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:34:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SegWit2x seriously losing support?  (Read 3089 times)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 03:21:04 PM

If some exchanges hand the BTC ticker to the 2x chain people who are new to the space might be buying 2x coins instead of the legacy bitcoin. And I am not sure if that will be beneficial to the whole ecosystem.

Well, that's exactly what I said, except I imagined the secondary consequences.

Except you're suggesting the information will never reach newbies that when buying BTC at Coinbase, one actually receives B2X or whatever it's called. People will learn, and react as they see fit. There's nothing we can do to stop Coinbase behaving like this, but we can control our response. Spread the word: certain exchanges are planning to change what BTC means on their platform.

Vires in numeris

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kristiano92

Activity: 68
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 03:32:15 PM

They are losing support and I hope there will be no fork. It isn't necessary to introduce 2mb block. Look at bitcoin cash.
xFiber

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 07:32:13 PM

If some exchanges hand the BTC ticker to the 2x chain people who are new to the space might be buying 2x coins instead of the legacy bitcoin. And I am not sure if that will be beneficial to the whole ecosystem.

Well, that's exactly what I said, except I imagined the secondary consequences.

Except you're suggesting the information will never reach newbies that when buying BTC at Coinbase, one actually receives B2X or whatever it's called. People will learn, and react as they see fit. There's nothing we can do to stop Coinbase behaving like this, but we can control our response. Spread the word: certain exchanges are planning to change what BTC means on their platform.
Exactly, there's nothing we can do to stimulate some exchanges to recognize the legacy chain as the one and only bitcoin. The only thing we can do in such a scenario is to spread to word to newer 'investors' and heavily advise against using the platforms of Coinbase and other companies who've shown interest in supporting the 2x chain. Whatever happens I will try to support the legacy chain unconditionally.
ronypro

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 07:39:18 PM

The market is very sensitive right now but as per my knowledge this  hard fork should happen for goodness of the community.
Colorblind

Activity: 392
Merit: 41

This text is irrelevant

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 09:25:38 AM

The market is very sensitive right now but as per my knowledge this  hard fork should happen for goodness of the community.

Yet, as usual, it looks like it's moving in a direction of a benifit of few.
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4358

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 03:02:02 PM

I'm extremely disapointed in Bitcoin's open-source nature. I always supported Core's roadmap but i also welcomed new update/scaling solutions.

It turned into a major shitshow from each of them; XT/Classic/BU/ABC/Bcash/2X etc... they where all disgusting, cheap, bugged, hostile take overs.

But the open-source nature is situated in the Core's team, hundreds of people working day/night to get the job done is something i really admire and i'm so gratefull we got that team working on Bitcoin. Most of them dont get paid they do it as a hobby. They know how important Blockchain will be for all of uss. Core doesn't talk into there own personal agenda but they talk for commen interest aka; for the people while keeping the mainchain decentralised and secure as possible.

Clearly, nothing can beat Core's team because it's already a decentralised open-source development team! Thats why other scaling solutions are doomed to fail by rushing it with agrassive business model like Roger Ver version(s).

2x is one of those pathetic/disgusting/cheap/hostile/agressive take over. Jeff was one of the good guys but he's getting paid to play a sneaky snake.

I see 2x as a smoke screeen to save face for any future 'agreements' in this case just to activate Segwit that also open the doors for 2e layers.

- Very low community support.

- No real nodes.

- No real development team.

- 2x is way to rushed.

I want to see Core team pumping every singel potential out of Segwit before considering a (mb) hard fork and i'm sure Core can deliver uss a smooth hard fork when that time comes.
Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 07:38:55 AM

In november or early in 2018 the fork will happen.
Its just a matter of time.

The fork will happen in rougly 4000 blocks, therefore you can expect it to happen in the middle
of November.

http://bashco.github.io/2x_Countdown/

On this link you can find a countdown until the actual fork date.
desmodiAN

Activity: 164
Merit: 19

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 11:46:35 AM

some members of Pro-segwit2x group are publicly withdrawing their support
yes, i guess supporters realize that bitcoin is on a stable and good lookout now.
transaction fees not increasing, segwit already allowing more tx per day, if people use it.

who needs more btc forks? only high speculating or manipulating people.
Virtual miner

Activity: 728
Merit: 275

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 11:58:12 AM

Something strange is happening right now.
 I do not fully understand what yet but it seems some members of Pro-segwit2x group are publicly withdrawing their support for SegWit2x

Could this mean the hard fork won't be going on again? Seems they aren't too happy the way Bitcoin price is shooting up or it is just normal and expected withdraws?

I have this same confusion. Just a month ago it was thought as a magical remedy which could end up all the problems relating to bitcoinm People were thinking this to be capable of even overthrowing bitcoin. And now there are so many people criticizing it. Lets see what happens to it.
J. Cooper

Activity: 294
Merit: 125

Alea iacta est

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 11:05:39 PM

I'm extremely disapointed in Bitcoin's open-source nature. I always supported Core's roadmap but i also welcomed new update/scaling solutions.

It turned into a major shitshow from each of them; XT/Classic/BU/ABC/Bcash/2X etc... they where all disgusting, cheap, bugged, hostile take overs.

But the open-source nature is situated in the Core's team, hundreds of people working day/night to get the job done is something i really admire and i'm so gratefull we got that team working on Bitcoin. Most of them dont get paid they do it as a hobby. They know how important Blockchain will be for all of uss. Core doesn't talk into there own personal agenda but they talk for commen interest aka; for the people while keeping the mainchain decentralised and secure as possible.

Clearly, nothing can beat Core's team because it's already a decentralised open-source development team! Thats why other scaling solutions are doomed to fail by rushing it with agrassive business model like Roger Ver version(s).

2x is one of those pathetic/disgusting/cheap/hostile/agressive take over. Jeff was one of the good guys but he's getting paid to play a sneaky snake.

I see 2x as a smoke screeen to save face for any future 'agreements' in this case just to activate Segwit that also open the doors for 2e layers.

- Very low community support.

- No real nodes.

- No real development team.

- 2x is way to rushed.

I want to see Core team pumping every singel potential out of Segwit before considering a (mb) hard fork and i'm sure Core can deliver uss a smooth hard fork when that time comes.
I completely agree with you. It's sad if you think about it. I haven't been in the space for too long but even I recognize the fact that 2x is just a plain attack on bitcoin and what it stands for. We've got one shot to make this exciting technology work. Let's do it right.
nokati

Activity: 312
Merit: 111

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2017, 08:05:47 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2017, 08:20:26 AM by nokati

This is what I have understand , please correct me if wrong;

So when the forks happens, we will have bitcoin and bitcoingold. The new chain is called bitcoin gold.

So every time there will be a fork, the new one gets a new name... this way you can actually never do a fork and keep the same name as there is always a big community that are for and against the fork.
when eth was forking the new chain was eth and the old one was eth classic. This help new people have less confusion as eth was still eth for the outside world.

Lets say that in the next 10 year there are couple of forks again....  at the end once you want to buy or trade or use your coins you have to ask the other person do you want btc, bcc, btc 2x, btc xxx, btc gghh, btc hdgdh, btc blabla.... you get the point Smiley this isnt helping at all.

The majority of the dev core are not supporting seg2x, right? So what do they support? the original one? Do they have any planning to solve the slow and high fees? or is their standpoint dont fuck with the chain which I am 90% agree with to a certain point.

Main problem is that I dont see anyway to soft fork the chain and get everybody on board so you can evolve the bitcoin in the right direction without having a big fight in the community. My grandma don’t care and cant care what you called, she just want to use here btc, simpel, not going to read 1000 pages first to decide which chain is beter.

So let say the fork goes live, it will be called bitcoin gold.... not good as its just another altcoin again like bitcoin cash.
If it don’t go live.... we still have the same problem with the slow transctions and high fees... so whats the backup plan of de dev team?

edit: digging more in the rabbit hole it appears that the bitcoin gold is something else than segwit2x..... puhhhhh.... this shit is getting pretty complicated. but still the question remains... what the dev solution to this mess?

Pab
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:22:46 PM

I am the same confused like you with all that forks,in a case of soft forks looks like new fashion,creating new premined btc,bittrex rule is no premine,most serious is 2x btc war escalation,looks like final battle die or alive
Final effect can be negative sentiment for btc and people like Dimon will walk in glory,After all that years of gaining trust we have that chaos,greedy,wha dev can do,so i ve been reading that 2x may even attack core
and core i dont know,but maybe 2x will not happen

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
jman0war

Activity: 78

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 06:08:05 PM

The majority of the dev core are not supporting seg2x, right? So what do they support? the original one? Do they have any planning to solve the slow and high fees? or is their standpoint dont fuck with the chain which I am 90% agree with to a certain point.
I certainly don't speak for Core but I believe that the solution lies with more Full Nodes.
If the block size is increased, it will put pressure like bandwidth and space requirements on users with Full Nodes.
This will result in few people running them, which will result in more centralization in mining pools and mining companies.
Which makes bitcoin less decentralized and more prone to government shutdown and a 51% attack.
dzelenyanskiy

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 06:12:38 PM

I expect an event of SegWit2x with impatience! Free coins will prevent nobody!
Hyperme.sh

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 08:26:03 PM

One of my conjectures is that 2x dying was always part of the plan to make Bitcoin immutable by destroying Core and all the fools who accepted SegWit transactions:

I predict someone will do this in 2018, which some are calling "the year of bitcoin forks" where we will have "bitcoin whatever" left and right.

That is the long-range chain reorganization I am positing. A fork that starts from say August and steals all the SegWit booty that has accumulated enriching the miners.

I wonder why no one has come up yet with a bitcoin hardfork that goes back to no-segwit and continues with 1MB and keeps same hashing algo etc, so you get the original bitcoin

I am glad that someone else has noticed they did not offer us that option. Was it on purpose?

And I conjecture one possible reason that no one has offered it yet, because TPTB in my conjecture would want to offer it as a rollback to August, after they divide-and-conquer the community with a proliferation of forks. If they offered it without a rollback earlier, they would not be able to get as much support for their coming rollback (if my theory comes to fruition).

TPTB amass more BTC with the rollback and immutability is restored.

Those (more or less economically irrelevant) sheep who lost BTC to the rollback can continue on one of those many forks to own their more or less worth-much-less “BTC”. Any way, that is my theory but not with even 80% conviction of likelihood.

As you say, 2017 to sometime in 2018 appears to be the year of the forks. So the potentially frenzied end to this forkathon mess is probably not going to be in November 2017.

Again I posited a wild conjecture that any such forkathon is being fostered behind the curtain to create the environment that will be ripe to accept the rollback as a savior from a forkathon mess coupled with a hypothesized insecurity mess of SegWit. Everyone could grow weary of the endless forking and beg for immutability.

That is a lot of potentially cockamamie theory and conjecture. Might all end up being hair-brained. Except all I can say to that is study my sources and make your own determination to quality of my sources and analysis thereof.

I hope everyone remembers there are apparently millions of BTC that would love to see the mob of sheep who supported SegWit, lose their BTC as a punishment and education. They believe the immutability (i.e. resistance against rule by the mob) is one of the key attributes that gives Bitcoin its value as reserve currency.

My wild conjecture is TPTB are in the process now of demonstrating what happens when ”rule by the mob” is allowed. In this conjecture, I posit they want to demonstrate how it ends up as a divided-and-conquered and insecure mess. I believe they put a decade (or more) of research into creating Bitcoin and they know that it should not be fundamentally altered because they know there is no such thing as a democracy. There is only a power vacuum that results in chaos until TPTB step into the power vacuum and create order.

[…]

When someone talks about an unproven rock star, they usually have drunk some Koolaid. Btw, I listened to this Elizabeth Stark in a few YouTube videos and she has errors in her remarks (e.g. that LN can be decentralized, etc). (Frankly I got so bored by her verbiage, I couldn’t listen for very long)

Okay, so here is my thought.

The Chinaman got together with the WallStreet folks and did the NYA to foster a bubble. But I have posited in this thread (and the companion thread) that the Chinaman has a scheme up his sleeve (and he is backed by very very powerful players behind the curtain who play both sides of the coin).

We’re obviously in a phase transition right now, and the big money is starting to notice. But how long will this phase transition go on before it reaches nosebleed and needs to take dive? $8000 - $10,000 within a month? Then we’ll get some exhale (not dive) into altcoins because of the risk of the 2x fork in November (and my bets are still on LTC and BCH for the reasons I already explained because I expect 2X to fail to be adopted). Then $25,000 by Q1 2018? That would take us to ~$0.5 trillion market cap (perhaps $1 trillion overall including all altcoins), which would presumably set the gears into motion to insure the institutional players want in. And will the catalyst for any subsequent dive be dire (e.g. the SegWit attack I posited) and create a winter? Will the big money get the “custodian insurance” they need in time to come in and support this phase transition before any such crypto winter?

And whether SegWit, Lightning Networks, and ICOs (i.e. the current paradigms that the current phase transition are hinged on) are the paradigms that will take us to this future?

It seems the vehicles are being created to allow more speculative players into the market, but afaics the institutional players will not be able to buy into this bubble within the next few months:

[…]
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: