Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:51:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 90 »
  Print  
Author Topic: I lost 80% of my bitcoins in alts, What can I do now?!  (Read 21856 times)
MyIdeas

Activity: 734
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 10:53:30 PM

If you really want to live life on the wild side, you could try selling your alt coins now to buy back cheaper tomorrow.  As long as bitcoin keeps going up the alts SHOULD keep going down.  It's a risky maneuver though, as the alt rebound could occur at any time.
Makes sense somehow. You can never be taking the altcoins up and up because they are reciprocal to bitcoins. As long as bitcoins are going higher, altcoins are going down and down. So better is to sell altcoins, although you wouldn’t be having any solid or much profit form it but still buying more at low prices are more valuable.
richcorner100

Activity: 616
Merit: 100

https://exip.live/

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:13:07 PM

In my opinion hold and take profit until you get 30% profit more. After that review the mistakes that you did, learn about technical and fundamental analysis and also psychology in trading. But if you want to buy crypto for long-term investments, Bitcoin and Ethereum is the best choice.

EXIP PROJECT
A Decentralized Domain & Top-level domain service where your domain and TLD identified by a NFT
────────  Whitepaper ⬝  Twitter ⬝  Telegram⬝   Facebook ⬝  Medium    ─────── 
bigdogdan2

Activity: 252
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:17:15 PM

Look at your current coins and look at their roadmap.  Do they have something coming out in the very near future (1 month or less).  If not, I would probably put them in another coin that has greater publicity or are close to releasing something.  The whole market will rebound after the btc fork, and the more popular coins will rise faster.  So personally I would prefer to move money to those.

OPEN Platform | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱Blockchain's First Payment API❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱❱
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram
_Dawid_

Activity: 196

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:29:46 PM

It is very hard to help you.
80% loss is very very much, even is you sell it and buy other coin which will pump then you could regain max 20-40% but IF you succeed in your pick and investment(otherwise you will lose more). Of course you could invest in coin who could rise 100% but It would be not coin from top 100 so then you take more and more risk.
You should make a decision which is the best for you we can only tell you what probably could happen. I know a lot of people who bought sia for 0.009$ and sell when 0.007$ but now is 0.004$, lots of people say that it should grow soon and regain some lost price but the most important question now is WHEN and HOW LONG will you need to wait for. But it is maybe the most safe option here. You can take part in signature campaign and earn some coins.
BTCANAN

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:31:35 PM

I am in the same situation.

Newbie in the crypto i put almost everything into OMG NEO LSK EDG PAY before the big dump.

I didn't sell anything during the fork. I will hold no matter what.

This is heavy, i take it as a lesson but at the end holding is probably the best way to go.
LeonardoDiCrypto

Activity: 340

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:36:06 PM

If you really want to live life on the wild side, you could try selling your alt coins now to buy back cheaper tomorrow.  As long as bitcoin keeps going up the alts SHOULD keep going down.  It's a risky maneuver though, as the alt rebound could occur at any time.
Makes sense somehow. You can never be taking the altcoins up and up because they are reciprocal to bitcoins. As long as bitcoins are going higher, altcoins are going down and down. So better is to sell altcoins, although you wouldn’t be having any solid or much profit form it but still buying more at low prices are more valuable.

Yes, unless you are so precise as to catch the bottom, so that shortly after you sell the market goes up again, and you hesitate and hesitate and hesitate to rebuy until you finally decide and buy exactly when it has reached the top. That's called the strategy to sell low and buy high.
FutureC0in

Activity: 48

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:41:56 PM

That's absolutely mental, why on earth would you invest even more in a token that's lost so much? Cut your losses and learn the lesson.

A better strategy is buy in chunks not all your eggs in one basket. Say a coin is worth 10 and you think it may go up to 12. Buy 25% of what you wanted to invest.

Day 2, it's now at 8 ok buy another 25%

Day 3, it's now worth 5 - At this point you can either go the full remaining 50% if you think it's at it's bottom or continue with the 25% investment again.

At end of it say the ending price is 7 by time you've blown all your funds. You got some tokens above that price and some below so you may be slightly up or slightly down.

Of course this also works in reverse, profits will be less as well. But your not going 'all in' at a certain price.
[/quote]

Thanks. This is the better method to staggerred your purchase.
Sometimes, we newbies have no patience and make the purchase in one shot.
JungleBook

Activity: 183

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:51:07 PM

Talk about a blow to your bankroll... If it were me, I'd try to do a little more research on what I'm investing in before hand. Take a little time to think it through. Don't buy into pumps, and be careful with hyped projects. One or two good investments, you'll be back to where you were.
angaper

Activity: 966
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:58:37 PM

Most of the altcoin traders I know (including myself) have gone through the same problem and each one has solved the situation in very different ways. Since I have always been a very conservative trader, my losses have actually been minimal (about 20% of my investment), so I have no problem in continuing to hold all the acquired altcoins, because maybe in the medium term gradually recover. But when you lose as much as 80% maybe you should pause to rethink your strategies before continuing in this business.
inthelongrun

Activity: 1792
Merit: 598

The Martian Child

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 12:00:45 AM

Hey there

In june & July I bought Digibyte & Stratis & Siacoin with all my bitcoins, till now I lost almost 80%

What can I do, HOLD or Sell or What!

It is sad that these very known coins are the ones that caused your almost 80% lost. If you have seen some other trusted coins that will probably pull up your portfolio value, you may decide to cut loss. But if you want to continue holding on to these coins, you may also do so. These are big coins that have working teams behind. There are no worries that these are mere shitcoins.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Nerman

Activity: 364
Merit: 107

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 12:11:42 AM

Right now because of the loss I will suggest to just hold it and if you have extra bitcoin/satoshi or cash buy more to average down. If you do not average down it may take months for you to break even. If you average down it will be easier to sell once the price hit your average cost.

Just learn and always have a stop loss on you next trade so that you would not accumulate big losses.
a7594li

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 12:41:56 AM

just wait till after the hard fork that is when alts will recover. most probably november will be very bullish for alts.

also you do not lose any btc until you sell your alt coins, so tip 1 dont sell. wait for recovery.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀████████▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ██████████   ▀▀██▄
▄██▀     ████████████     ▀██▄
██▀      ██████████████      ▀██
██▀      ████████████████      ▀██
██▀      ██████████████████      ▀██
▄██      █████████  █████████      ██▄
██      █████████    █████████      ██
██     █████████      █████████     ██
██    █████████        █████████    ██
██   █████████          █████████   ██
▀██ ██████████████████████████████ ██▀
████████████████████████ ███████████
██████████████████████   █████████
████████████████████     ███████
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  .A.P.H.E.L.I.O.N.  [    ] 
▄████████████████████████▄
████████████▀     ████████
███████████       ████████
███████████    ███████████
████████          ████████
████████          ████████
▀████████████████████████▀

██████████████████████████
████▀  ▀██████████████████
████▄  ▄██████████████████
████    ██    █▀    ▀█████
████    ██     ▄▄     ████
████    ██    ████    ████

███████████████▀▀▀▀███████
████ ▀███████▀      ▀▀▀███
████    ▀▀██▀        ▄████
████▄               ██████
█████▄             ███████
██████▄           ████████
███▀██▀▀        ▄█████████
████▄▄       ▄▄███████████

██████████████████▀▀   ███
██████████████▀▀  ▄█▀ ▄███
██████████▀▀    ▄█▀   ████
██████▀▀      ▄█▀    ▄████
██▀▀        ▄█▀      █████
████▄▄    ▄█▀       ▄█████
████████▄█▀         ██████
██████████   ▄     ▄██████
██████████ ▄████▄▄ ███████
  ▶  Whitepaper
▶  Website
▶  Register
TheRealCypher22

Activity: 18

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 07:21:36 AM

Well, there is strategy called Average down! If you had been using the strategy you may not have lost so much. It is not late now. Double the units you have in all these coin. Any 10 % to 20% increase in price will automatically put you in profit! Keep buying the deep and you won't lose a dime at the end of the day!

A Perfect advice for those who are holding Altcoin

That's absolutely mental, why on earth would you invest even more in a token that's lost so much? Cut your losses and learn the lesson.

A better strategy is buy in chunks not all your eggs in one basket. Say a coin is worth 10 and you think it may go up to 12. Buy 25% of what you wanted to invest.

Day 2, it's now at 8 ok buy another 25%

Day 3, it's now worth 5 - At this point you can either go the full remaining 50% if you think it's at it's bottom or continue with the 25% investment again.

At end of it say the ending price is 7 by time you've blown all your funds. You got some tokens above that price and some below so you may be slightly up or slightly down.

Of course this also works in reverse, profits will be less as well. But your not going 'all in' at a certain price.

If you think 5 is the bottom, why on earth were you buying at 10? 

Phalo

Activity: 224

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 07:28:50 AM

Whatever you do, do not sell. You will lose out even more. I suggest you hodl.. Lock those coins away in a paper wallet and forget about them. Start a new portfolio. Those coins will rise again, just not at your own pace. So try to be a little patient. Do not chase hype coins when you start afresh, you will end up in the same situation.
lady Royal

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2017, 07:31:46 AM

Hey there

In june & July I bought Digibyte & Stratis & Siacoin with all my bitcoins, till now I lost almost 80%

What can I do, HOLD or Sell or What!

Looks like your loss is really high you should wait for these coins price to increase.
First you should see that market and some reviews etc on these coins and see if they are going up, if you see nothing but loss then I would suggest you should sell all and keep the money you get from them, Because something is better then nothing. You will have some money then no money.

Holding is not a good option when there is no future of these coins except loss and zero value.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
■   .PRIVATE SALE is LIVE.   ■
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Whitepaper   ■   Bounty   ■   Bitcointalk

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                        ███
                     ▄▄ ▀▀▀ ███
                     ██▀ ▄▄ ▀▀▀
                   ▄▄    █▀▀ ▄▄ ██
                   ▀▀ ▄█  ▄▄ ▀
                  ██  ▀ ▄ ▀
                  ▄▄ █▄ ▀▀
                  ▀▀  ▄ ▀
   ▄▄              ██ ▀ ▀
   ██▀               ▄ ▀
  ▄  ▄█         ▄ ▄   ▀
 ███  ▀ █▄ ▄▀ ▀▄  ▀  ▄ ██ ██
  ▀▀ █▄ ▄  ▄█ ▀ █▀  ▀ ▄ ▄▄  ▄█▄
███     ▀▀   ▄█▄       ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄
▀▀▀ ██ ██ ██  ▀         ▄▄ ▀▀ ▀██
                         ▀ ▄█  ▄▄
                        ▄█ ▀▀ ▀██
                        ▄ ▄█▄
                       ▀▀ ▀▀
                      ██
..Skynet..
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram   ■   Facebook   ■   Twitter   ■   Medium   ■   Reddit   ■   LinkedIn
.CREATING THE INTELLIGENT MACHINE ECONOMY.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
feelideb

Activity: 770
Merit: 101

fLibero.financial

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 07:32:15 AM

I am sure your paper 80% loss must have reduced to let say 20% if you haven't sold ! Crypto market is huge and deep. If there is temporal decline in our fortune especially if it is on paper, One must strive not to make hasty decision!

LeonardoDiCrypto

Activity: 340

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 12:24:06 AM

Well, you'd be right if he had lost 20% and would still have 80%, but once you have lost 80% the losses that you can cut are quite minuscole compared with the ones you have already swallowed.
shimbark123

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 12:32:10 AM

This is what I want you to do: HODL. Just hodl bro, your alts are just dying because of the rise of bitcoin Smiley. There is nothing to worry about now, before the fork bitcoin will go down so JUST HODL.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Zeeks

Activity: 180

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 12:52:16 AM

This is what I want you to do: HODL. Just hodl bro, your alts are just dying because of the rise of bitcoin Smiley. There is nothing to worry about now, before the fork bitcoin will go down so JUST HODL.

If you say it like that it doesn't sound too hopeful Tongue "they are just dying".
I'd say the money is elsewhere right now, but it will all come back around soon enough.
YackBallz

Activity: 236
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 01:04:21 AM

i suggest hold
never sell bitcoin for alts,the dev team of altcoin,they just want bitcoin or eth!that is why bitcoin price would keep up up up!
you like altcoins, no problem, because it could be a big chance, but never put in  more than 10% of your all bitcoin or eth!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 90 »
  Print  

Jump to: