Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 03:11:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH and ICO's  (Read 439 times)
Appie34 (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 12:09:31 PM

I was looking at ETH and as far as I understand, this coin is mainly successful because of the ICO's nowadays.

ICO's are booming and it looks like it never ends. But what if all ideas are gone and the amount of new coins which use/ need ETH are decreasing. Would this have much effect on the price?

Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CodyAlfaridzi

Activity: 1708
Merit: 541

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 02:02:33 PM

Correct. Currently, ICO is the main reason people buy Ethereum and keep the price flying. What happens when people are getting enough of ICO? ETH price would go significantly lower, I would say. Remember what happen to ETH price when China banning ICOs? Yeah, that's proving that ICO has much influence on ETH price. I think the same would happen when ICOs bubble is over unless there is a new trend hype involving ETH, just like what ICO is right now.

This is speculative and no one can give you a definite answer.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 02:06:48 PM

Correct. Currently, ICO is the main reason people buy Ethereum and keep the price flying. What happens when people are getting enough of ICO? ETH price would go significantly lower, I would say. Remember what happen to ETH price when China banning ICOs? Yeah, that's proving that ICO has much influence on ETH price. I think the same would happen when ICOs bubble is over unless there is a new trend hype involving ETH, just like what ICO is right now.

This is speculative and no one can give you a definite answer.

For now ETH's only usecase is indeed hosting ICO's, but as the project further develops, they might add new things which keep them valuable.

Better mining systems, better scalability, and even if all those ICO's are over, the projects are still hosted in ETH's environment ( ERC20 Tokens ).

So unless all these projects die out, ETH is still going to have value, since it keeps these projects running. ( Their tokens, not the product necessarily).

And if these projects succeed on their platform,  the ETH "platform" will get more usecases, say for example golem succeeds into making this decentralized megacomputer, you'd still need eth -> golem to use it.

I suspect that if ETH fails, alot more crypto's are going to fail. Surely it's market price / cap will go down and up, but i don't see them being replaced anytime soon yet.

Boseda

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 03:10:44 PM

It's true ETH is mainly used for ICOs nowadays, but that's not the only reason price is quite high. There are lots of people who believe in Ethreum platform and ETH is getting a quite good amount of investments for long term. Also, you assume ICOs will end quite soon. I don't think so, maybe in the future ERC-20 tokens will be less than now and all the stupid/useless project will tend to disappear. But ICOs and pre-sales will continue to be on the market.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 03:10:48 PM

ICO's are booming and it looks like it never ends. But what if all ideas are gone and the amount of new coins which use/ need ETH are decreasing. Would this have much effect on the price?

Currently ICOs are definitely the #1 reason on why ETH is being used, besides using it for trading. The thing is, as long as people are willing to offer up ETH to ICOs, then I don't think ICOs are going anywhere. They're making good money even without a working product. But yea, if ICOs were to stop, ETH will definitely go lower in price, unless there's some huge ETH update that makes it very useful or something along those lines.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
949miner

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Stake & Vote or Become a IoTeX Delegate!

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 08:26:46 PM

A lot of projects are only using ethereum to raise funds for their project, and this is because it is so easy to use and develop a new contract. And ethereum contracts seems more professional, that is why it is so used by the community to create new icos.
And probably more than 40% of the total marketcap of ETH is because of ico's, and all the money that ethereum based ico's are raising right now.

`^cder.         
          '-`ryRQQ#@@#O}-      
       .)ydi`!]PQQ#@@@@@#d}!   
  `:'`rU9660ZL:')TZ@@@@@@####O)
  `lVx<,:xWg@@@#g)iQB##@@##@@@M
  `lVcyWRBsy@@Q8Z*iQQQQB##@@@@M
  `x|G#@@@m)T<:<v~iB##@@#QQB#@M
     `)I$#m,-' `>]ZB#@@@#QQQB#3
  .>LKlxxxx_`<YUaKOQQQB#BB####P
:V5MMMTx^=*` .~xeaOQQg$RB@@@##P
 .<}ab*' .QQK\_`;<YMRO66B@@@@B}
     .`  .Q#@#Q3v`rcvvY3B#Mx_  
         .OKx*rxv`x66OX]=`     
               .!`xRdyr,       
                  !<'

IoTeX

▬▬INTERNET OF TRUSTED THINGS▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬BECOME A MEMBER TODAY▬▬▬▬.

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
███     █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
██████  █████████████████████
███     █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██  
  ▐██▌                      
   █▌

TWITTER
MEDIUM
REDDIT
TELEGRAM
FORUM
BITCOINTALK
elbez

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 03:37:46 AM

Today there are about 120 ICOs going funding. Most of them - scam. But there will be more and more.
krauzzer02

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 06:59:11 AM

That's one of the reason why etheruem stays on the number two spot of the market and increase it's price for the same time but let us not forget that it is not the ICO alone that make's it alive and healthy, using a blockchain to replace internet third parties that keeps track of complex financial usage, Investors and ethereum Enthusiast make it also alive that have a %100 support to its great potential to the crypto market and blockchain technology.
Gambit1306

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 08:18:26 AM

I expect more use cases from Ethereum after the Constantinople and Byzantium updates. Not a bad idea to hold Eth through those, don't expect a downward movement this year
RoommateAgreement

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

Bazinga!

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 09:03:07 AM

I was looking at ETH and as far as I understand, this coin is mainly successful because of the ICO's nowadays.

well ethereum and many other similar ones are platforms for smart contract. and nowadays the market for these ICOs is pretty hot and they keep being created. the ideas will never end though. idea is something that never ends. there will always be a new thing to be created.
and since the ICOs that currently come out are mostly jokes rather than real ideas, there will always still be room to improve.

as for price 2 things will change in the future.
first the huge number of useless ICOs will cease to be created and there will only be the good ones remaining.
then there will be more competition. as i said ETH is not the only platform. bitcoin will soon have RSK which enables smart contracts for it. with that the market will be distributed among all these.

result will be big price dumps in those coins that were rising only because of all these ICOs.

Buying the dip...
Raegorl

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

★Jetwin.com★

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 09:06:49 AM

Ethereum's project and roadmap is much wider and complex than just ICOs. This is just the start of something great, keep reading about it! Ethwaterloo is about to end in a few hours, i think we are gonna see some nice projects come up.

ryanben

Activity: 266
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 09:17:19 AM

ETH is created and maintained by the  Smart Contract, which allows projects to easily create their coin, which means that every project will have to depend on ETH, in the future the price of ETH will grow more than it is now. I think next year the price of ETH will increase to $ 700-1000. ETH is a long-term project, so long-term investment in ETH is the right choice

drwhobox

Activity: 756
Merit: 133

- hello doctor who box

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 09:31:56 AM

Indeed! Eth is successful because some ICO's use Etherium to host their project. The demand for eth just keeps getting higher and higher as more ICO's are om trend right now.
Pasutinmeur

Activity: 302

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 09:44:59 AM

Nope, about the icos that just like a bonus because a lot of people are feeling convenience to use the ethereum caused by the network is ease for use. But that will give any impact to the price. Ico's booming make people are buying ether more and more.

OIKOS.CASH      Decentralized finance on Tron   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Collateral-backed stable-coins
         github  telegram    twitter    discord           synthetic asset trading and trustless token exchange on TRON
Mi5h0

Activity: 560
Merit: 273

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 10:47:15 AM

There is no doubt that ICOs will evolve and morph. We may even see companies built for helping setting up ICOs. Some new standards may appear. But I have no doubt that the ICOs are here is to stay. We will see an acceleration over time and one day it will become the standard to start a digital business.
Once this powerful new paradigm evolves a bit more, we may have finally created the global answer to Silicon Valley -  only this time on the internet.

sweerty1

Activity: 453
Merit: 251

Presale Starting May 1st

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 11:05:57 AM

Ethereum isn't all about ICOs. Yes icos really helped ethereum to gain more transaction and even higher prices. But remember what made Ethereum create these icos. Smart contracts! So it will live above this legacy.

▄▄██▄▄
 ▄▄██████████▄▄
████████████████
████████████████
█████▀▀  ▀▀█████
█▀▀          ▀▀█
     ▄▄██▄▄
 ▄▄██████████▄▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
 ▀▀██████████▀▀
     ▀▀██▀▀
INVESTA████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████
     ▄▄██▄▄
 ▄▄██████████▄▄
████████████████
████████████████
█████▀▀  ▀▀█████
█▀▀          ▀▀█
     ▄▄██▄▄
 ▄▄██████████▄▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
 ▀▀██████████▀▀
     ▀▀██▀▀
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2017, 11:09:41 AM

this is actually one of the biggest fears among ETH investors.

we all know that the ICOs played a key role in the current Ether price. and this makes the price very dangerous. which is why many believe Ethereum is still in a big bubble that needs to burst first.
and it is not just about "running out of ideas" issue. we have all seen that recently many different countries started banning ICOs and announcing them as "illegal". this can eventually put an end to Ethereum too.

--looking for signature--
Blakscorpion

Activity: 215

CryptoFan

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 11:14:33 AM

If you really think that ETH success is only because of ICO, I think you should read a bit about this coin...
ETH fame is due to something called "smart contract" that has never been made before in a coin, allowing you to link a service/project to your coin, with rules.
This coin became famous for that. Then , there were a lot of ICO around that, and it increased the fame.

Don't mix all the things please...

▐▐   ▬▬▬▬▬   DeepOnion   ▬▬▬▬▬   ▌▌
████    40 PUBLIC AIRDROPS COMPLETED    TOR INTEGRATED    ████
▬▬▬▬   (✔) DeepVault Blockchain File Signatures  •  VoteCentral Your Vote Counts  •  deeponion.org   ▬▬▬▬
sheepXcat_sk

Activity: 45

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 11:37:40 AM

I don't think that the world will run out of ICOs soon Smiley
altercreed

Activity: 434
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 11:55:39 AM

Yes it's true and ICO's are one of the major reasons why ETH sits atop next to BITCOIN. Since only few ICO's are asking your bitcoin address rather than asking your ETH address whenever you join any campaigns from a bounty means a significant push to ETH's market value.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: