Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:27:15 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin will route around damaged parts of the system.  (Read 6280 times)
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 04:46:37 PM
Last edit: June 08, 2013, 12:47:23 AM by DeathAndTaxes

(Just a random guys reflection on Bitcoin four years later and the vanity of needing to make the 10,000 post important)

If you have been involved in the Bitcoin community for any period of time you likely have heard the phrase "Bitcoin is the most disruptive technology since the internet" or something similar at least once.  Have you ever thought deeply about what that means?  Bitcoin is disruptive because it doesn't need the blessing or support of established interests.  In that respect Bitcoin was successful as soon as people voluntarily began using it. It only requires voluntary association to grow and flourish and that is a powerful thing. The future is unknown and the growth of Bitcoin is almost certainly going to be painful.  Certain actions taken by established interests can slow adoption, degrade the value of the network, and even destroy the Bitcoin protocol.  Well at least the form of the protocol we call "Bitcoin" today.  Bitcoin however will route around damaged parts of the system and make no mistake, our financial and political systems are horribly damaged.  Bitcoin interfaces at the edges with those systems and that will make things chaotic for a while.  If states adopt punitive legislation then wealth, innovation, employment, and yes even tax revenue will flow to states that don't.  If banks are reactionary they will lose to banks that are forward looking.  Today the amount loss is negligible but what about in a decade or two?  Like water of electricity Bitcoin will organically find the path of least resistance.

The concept of cryptocurrency is now unstoppable.   Today Bitcoin is the dominant system but regardless of the success or failure of Bitcoin, the thing of far greater note is the larger concept of decentralized currencies have been proven viable.  Economic systems secured by math and logic not fallible humans and political will.  People will never stops improving it.  Even if established entities succeed in crippling the Bitcoin network, future cryptocurrencies will evolve from the lessons learned in Bitcoin's destruction.  It has always been a possibility that Bitcoin will be the Napster of cryptocurrencies.  Innovative, new, and ultimately fatally vulnerable from the day it launched.  The media industry struck the Napster network at the vulnerable point and for a short time they enjoyed success, but the concept had already taken root.  People were already thinking, creating, evolving the concept.  What spawned from the death of Napster wasn't carbon copies, that would have been futile.  Instead it was a technological petri dish, with various new forms of file sharing being created, competing, and mutating into forms that were increasingly more resilient to control and censorship.  The same will happen to Bitcoin, there is no need for a replacement to start from scratch.  A future protocol could start from a snapshot of the Bitcoin blockchain at a point in time before it was attacked, gaining at launch stakeholders who have a vested interest in the success of this alternative.  Will the process be chaotic, scary, unmanageable?  Of course.  A cacophony of competing ideas, networks, and participants.  However like file sharing the genie is now out of the bottle.  We may in twenty years look back and find cryptocurrencies are very similar to what exists today or they may be so radically different as to be unrecognizable.  Nobody know if Bitcoin will remain viable and resilient over an extended time frame.  If someone says they know, they are lying, either to you or themselves.  Of one thing that I have no doubt, is that  cryptocurrencies in some form will exist in the future.

We should take a look at how far we have already come.  The very fact that you even have people talking about cryptocurrency all over the world, a word which didn't even exist a few short years ago, is profound.  Even when people are criticizing Bitcoin for its flaws or limitations they are still talking about it as a functional network, not an abstract idea which maybe could happen someday.  Compare that to the reaction Satoshi would have received, if he appeared on CNBC to discuss the still theoretical concept of decentralized currencies.   It would have been painful.  From an idea that many self proclaimed experts wrote off as impossible or unworkable, to a money supply valued at over a billion dollars in less than five years.  All that growth occurring in a chaotic, organic and at times dysfunctional fashion, open to anyone with an idea and a drive.  Unlike fiat currencies nobody is forced to accept Bitcoins, nobody is locked into keeping the coins they already hold.  Fiat currencies coerce populations through the use of legal tender laws and even with that advantage Bitcoin is already larger than the money supplies of dozens of nations.

Cryptocurrencies have breathed new life to a very old concept.  Private money has existed for at least as long as currency issued by the force of the state, but it has been held back by the seemingly insurmountable limitation of a trusted central authority.  The concept of decentralized currencies breaks that limitation and will enable the usage of private money on a scale that has never before been seen in the history of mankind.  The nature of Bitcoin makes any attempt to control the "Bitcoin proper" as futile as attempts to stop peer to peer file sharing.  At best the state can exert influence on the periphery, the edge where the crypto and fiat worlds meet; however this influence will wane with time.  As a circle expands the area inside the circle grows exponentially relative to the circumference.  In the same respect, even if states around the world clamp down, their influence and power is directed at periphery, an area of shrinking importance as more of the voluntary transactions occur inside the network.

On a personal note I don't know the exact future of Tangible Cryptography, we have been discussing various plans and contingencies.  Over the last week I have switched back and forth many times between disillusionment and defiance.  After deep reflection I am as energized as I have ever been.  Regardless of what happens we will remain involved in the cryptocurrency ecosystem.  In the modern age defiance doesn't necessarily require one to violate the laws of the state.  If the state says X is unlawful, well I can do Y instead. Individuals and companies can route around the damaged parts of the system just like Bitcoin does. Tangible Cryptography employees citizens at a time when jobs are scarce, it pays a substantial amount in taxes at a time when shortfalls are never ending.  Our government should be thankful for the prosperity that our company has brought.  If they don't, well there are other ways to do Bitcoin related commerce, and there are other states.  The power of collocation, virtualization, private networks, and telecommuting makes the world smaller and will allow a marketplace for governance.  The states just haven't realized it yet.

P.S. I hear Canada is nice this time of year.  
Equilux

Activity: 353
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 04:57:00 PM

Pretty cool 10000th post Smiley

Good to see a levelheaded opinion which points to problems and opportunities in Bitcoin's future.

wksantiago

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 05:02:18 PM

Great read and I agree that cryptocurrency is here to stay and will also benefit in other areas as well not just in currency.

If my posts has been helpful, thank me here:
BTC: bc1qp0xtvck64qhvg6man0fjgy2jl3l6vwkctngjc4
Bitrated user: wksantiago.
(PGP Fingerprint: 2199 0685 3d0f 29eb f0aa 40a5 1cd9 d426 66ae a802)
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 05:14:17 PM

The concept of decentralized currencies will enable the usage of private money  on a scale never before seen in the history of mankind.  Who knows the amount of innovation and progress that will unlock.  The nature of Bitcoin makes any attempt to control the "Bitcoin proper" as futile as attempts to bring peer to peer file sharing under control.  At best the state can exert influence on the periphery, the edge where the crypto and fiat worlds meet. However as a circle expands the area inside the circle grows faster than the circumference.  In the same respect, even if states around the world clamp down their influence and power is directed at periphery of shrinking importance.

I see Bitcoin as one of many technologies which are placing greater power in the hands of individuals and lessening the amount of control that a central authority can exert.  It's going to be a wild ride as everyone gains the ability to create/buy/sell any object or piece of information in total privacy.  We'll likely see a state-led war against general-purpose computing, as Cory Doctorow has suggested.

On a personal note I don't know the exact future of Tangible Cryptography, we have been discussing various plans and contingencies.  Over the last week I have switched back and forth many times between disillusionment and defiance.  After deep reflection I am as energized as ever before, and regardless of what happens we will remain involved in the cryptocurrency ecosystem. 

I'm sorry that I've missed the news.  What happened?  In my experience, you've always conducted your business in the highest standards of professionalism.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 05:24:44 PM

After deep reflection I am as energized as ever before, and regardless of what happens we will remain involved in the cryptocurrency ecosystem.  

Awesome! This is why Bitcoin will succeed sooner than later. People are actively engaged with it. You are not alone.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 08:07:50 PM

10000 posts, most of which have high quality, balance, and good insights.  I thank you for the time you take to write here.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 08:23:59 PM

We'll be happy to have you. It may take you some effort to get used to the idea of not having to worry about your health insurance anymore, though  Grin
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 08:26:35 PM

I completely agree.

For example, they issued a warrant to block a few (sharing) sites in the UK recently. Providers bowed down and dns-banned those sites. Couple hours after, they were all accessible again through dedicated proxies.

Another example is the complete internet shut down they decided in some middle east countries during the revolutions. Resistants found a way to relay internet through radio communication, using the backbones of bordering countries.

The network is like a brain, today, very adaptative. If a part gets damaged, another route emerges.

Which makes me think, I was having this theory when I was younger that we actually gave earth awareness.
The network infrastructure is actually pretty close to a brain, with data propagating from a node to another, with activation thresholds, inhibition, etc... She might be thinking now, without us knowing... Smiley

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:59:53 PM

The biggest takeaway I got from the San Jose conference and the events that have followed is that Bitcoin's center of gravity needs to move outside the US and Europe as rapidly as humanly possible.

I want to see the Bitcoin network become a heterogeneous system, built from many independent implementations created by programming teams in China, Russia, Latin America, India and Africa, in addition to the reference implementation to protect it from malicious changes implemented by a small group of coerced developers. I want to see Bitcoin economic activity in the BRIC nations reach par and then exceed activity in North America and Europe so that the currency is no longer in danger of being attacked by any single government, or group of governments who could plausibly be expected to work together.

The doorstep of the financial rulers of the world might not be the best place to build and promote a disruptive technology to replace them.
World

Activity: 743

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 10:19:41 PM

I want to see the Bitcoin network become a heterogeneous system, built from many independent implementations created by programming teams in China, Russia, Latin America, India and Africa, in addition to the reference implementation to protect it from malicious changes implemented by a small group of coerced developers. I want to see Bitcoin economic activity in the BRIC nations reach par and then exceed activity in North America and Europe so that the currency is no longer in danger of being attacked by any single government, or group of governments who could plausibly be expected to work together.

awesome post

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 01:00:14 AM

Nice post, D&T, thank you.

Eric Muyser

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

You can't kill math.

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 03:10:57 AM

It really is. Cool

@EricMuyser | EricMuyser.com | OTC - "Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality" - Bruce Lee
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 04:48:36 AM

*Applause * Very well said! I find myself extra motivated every time I come across some type of banking-related piece if stupid, too!
Bitco

Activity: 746
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 05:04:54 AM

It really is. Cool

But if you're looking to avoid money transmitter laws, Pennsylvania or West Virginia is a bit closer. Wink
Spekko

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 06:43:03 AM

The biggest takeaway I got from the San Jose conference and the events that have followed is that Bitcoin's center of gravity needs to move outside the US and Europe as rapidly as humanly possible.

The doorstep of the financial rulers of the world might not be the best place to build and promote a disruptive technology to replace them.

this is fast happening Smiley, i am from south africa, we have a nice exchange to convert btc to fiat, bitx.co.za its even worth slightly more cuz our currency is currently being run to shit by our stupid ass government. was even able to buy a gpu recently for btc from someone in south africa Smiley.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 06:44:42 AM

WOW that's quite a sum even at my pace doubt I will see that level for a long time
Also nice choice for the 10000th post

Canada is nice this time of year Smiley

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Ares

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:34:21 AM

Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 08:06:38 AM

+10000 Smiley Nice post OP

The revolution has certainly begun, the Great Financial Reckoning is coming down the track like a freight train on meth, and we will soon be witness to the biggest paradigm shift our world has ever seen. The world as we know it today is about to change drastically, be ready   Shocked

Anyone thinking they missed the boat with Bitcoin shouldn't worry, it is only just getting started.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:47:10 AM

Awesome post, DeathAndTaxes. Thank you.

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007