Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:03:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Overclock.net finally lifted the Bitcoin ban.  (Read 3727 times)
Remember remember the 5th of November (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 08:37:35 PM

For the last 2 years, talking about Bitcoin was not allowed on Overclock.net, from where I first learned about Bitcoin in April 2011. Just 3 hours ago this ban was lifted. Expect more newcomers.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 08:40:06 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2013, 09:40:50 PM by Singlebyte

Here is their statement:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1398189/overclock-net-welcomes-bitcoin

EDIT..for some reason OC removed link or is now hiding it behind "access needed" wall.  It was working.

EDIT 2 updated link
http://www.overclock.net/t/1398181/welcome-to-the-distributed-computing-section

Thanks OP for new link.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 08:41:55 PM

Yay  Cheesy

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
dkameleon

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 08:53:18 PM

For the last 2 years, talking about Bitcoin was not allowed on Overclock.net, from where I first learned about Bitcoin in April 2011.
who was that dumbass?  Grin
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 08:55:13 PM

For the last 2 years, talking about Bitcoin was not allowed on Overclock.net, from where I first learned about Bitcoin in April 2011.
who was that dumbass?  Grin
reflex99 from OCN. I am grateful to him. I even mined two blocks, with impossible luck thanks to him.

str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:19:02 PM

Amazing how their ignorance has suppressed it for so long
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:24:03 PM

The new threads there make for amazing reading.  So many members literally have no idea what bitcoin is.
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:26:33 PM

The new threads there make for amazing reading.  So many members literally have no idea what bitcoin is.

Well they did censure hardcore
For a bunch of overclockers thats a bit funny

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:27:56 PM

Yeah, I don't get anything and can't find the article there.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:29:46 PM

Maybe this one then. http://www.overclock.net/t/1398181/welcome-to-the-distributed-computing-section/0_20

pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:30:19 PM

Dead link.

who was that dumbass?  Grin

Lol.

Lol.

If this is true, now they need to work on their censoring of Freedom of speech without acting like a bunch of douchebags. They still can suck it, for that all I know. Banned btc once, and ban freedom of speech, all I can say is fuck off. To late *********.net.
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:32:22 PM

Someone must have moved it was working before

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:37:20 PM

If this is true, now they need to work on their censoring of Freedom of speech without acting like a bunch of douchebags. They still can suck it, for that all I know. Banned btc once, and ban freedom of speech, all I can say is fuck off. To late *********.net.

Agreed.  If the site owners didn't believe in free speech before, it's not likely they do now; they've simply allowed one thing to be spoken of, and they'll continue to silence users who speak in ways they do not like at their own discretion.

Reminds me of websites who ban talking about piracy.  I understand why they do it, but it doesn't make it any better.  I assume *********.net was trying to save their hide by avoiding something which could've gotten their website in trouble, but lets look at it objectively: if you need to silence your members to stay in existence, it's not the fault of the members, it's that which threatens your existence.  *********.net, then, is exactly what it wants to avoid.

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 10:02:06 PM

Agreed.  If the site owners didn't believe in free speech before, it's not likely they do now; they've simply allowed one thing to be spoken of, and they'll continue to silence users who speak in ways they do not like at their own discretion.

Reminds me of websites who ban talking about piracy.  I understand why they do it, but it doesn't make it any better.  I assume *********.net was trying to save their hide by avoiding something which could've gotten their website in trouble, but lets look at it objectively: if you need to silence your members to stay in existence, it's not the fault of the members, it's that which threatens your existence.  *********.net, then, is exactly what it wants to avoid.

So 4 Hours of hmm ok we fail then move it to some obscure area of the forum
Going to agree with you guys about free speech lol

mr.n00blar

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 10:40:11 PM

Dead link.

Lol.

Lol.

At the beginning, they were unsure of what this project would mean so, they decided to protect themselves from it. It is far from the case of "they want to censor us". The amount of knowledge on this forum is quite staggering, hopefully we can all benefit :)I can understand how you might be angry that it was once banned but the fact is that until recently, nobody took the time to explain to the staff about bitcoin, they didn't have much to go on. Overclock.net is an incredibly large forum that requires a lot of time and effort the way it was, anything new will undoubtedly add to the amount of work the management has to do, hopefully you can understand the delay.

As for the place where the discussion is set to occur, it is the best place. Bitcoin is a distributed computing project, it does not belong anywhere else, its a new topic there.
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 10:51:58 PM

Dead link.

Lol.

Lol.

As for the place where the discussion is set to occur, it is the best place. Bitcoin is a distributed computing project, it does not belong anywhere else, its a new topic there.

This forum wins for that hands down at least we know our moderators issues XD

mr.n00blar

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 10:56:17 PM

I don't think you guys frequently visit Overclock.net. They have a very specific Terms of Service agreement that every member (including the moderators) are required to observe. Until recently when it was explained better, they believed it was in violation of the ToS plain and simple.
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 10:58:03 PM

I don't think you guys frequently visit Overclock.net. They have a very specific Terms of Service agreement that the moderators are required to enforce. Until recently when it was explained better, they believed it was in violation of the ToS plain and simple.

True but when it comes to bitcoin the site that has been supporting it for years and has first starter status and a developed forum for all bitcoin traders beats a new start any day hands down
Remember if they started two years earlier in 2011 a lot of Overclockers would be rich by now

Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 11:02:26 PM

Freedom of speech applies to real life and governments. Individual site owners have every right to control the topics discussed. After all, the minecraft forums are probably not the right place to talk about Star Wars.

That being said, this is a very good choice.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
mr.n00blar

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 11:09:54 PM

I don't think you guys frequently visit Overclock.net. They have a very specific Terms of Service agreement that the moderators are required to enforce. Until recently when it was explained better, they believed it was in violation of the ToS plain and simple.

True but when it comes to bitcoin the site that has been supporting it for years and has first starter status and a developed forum for all bitcoin traders beats a new start any day hands down
Remember if they started two years earlier in 2011 a lot of Overclockers would be rich by now
Ah, I see what you're saying. I would imagine the bulk of bitcoin traffic will remain here lol.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: