Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:07:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Motherboard Help Please?  (Read 1387 times)
Ace5high (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 10:46:04 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2013, 11:37:29 PM by Ace5high

In the process of building a secondary GPU miner and have ordered and tested two separate motherboards so far and neither of which I can get to post  Embarrassed

I feel like I am probably making some sort of foolish oversight and don't know why I cannot boot either one...
Ive tested all other components separate, and know that they all work. A good HD5780, goodf power supply, Good DDR2 Ram 2G's, Good CPU Core 2 Duo, Good Hard Drive... When I fire up the motherboard, all fans run normal but simply wont post any video to the HD5780. 

Were old monitors run off parallel ports? I cant recall, I didn't think so but I don't know why else it wouldn't post? Yes, Ive already tried removing ram, Hard drive, clearing the cmos, replacing cmos battery etc... Both boards are good and should work? What am I missing  Huh
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
computerparts

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 10:55:58 PM

reset the cmos using the jumper
Ace5high (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 11:13:19 PM

I said above I've already tried that. Any other ideas? Obviously I'm not using a case for the MB, I shouldn't need a floppy connected or anything for the MB to post right? Will it not post without a main system fan connected or something?

Its the Gigabyte GA-8I915P BTW...
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 11:37:15 PM

older hardware doesnt like high density ram, try low density. also i -have- gotten a doa cpu before (was an i3-2130 doa, and a newer i3-3120 worked fine), so its possible you have doa cpu instead

nottm28

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 11:41:17 PM

Check and re-check your wiring 99/100

donations not accepted
Ace5high (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 11:41:31 PM

Thanks, What's the difference with high and low density ram? I haven't heard of such a thing. Its brand new Crucial PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory 800MHz 240-Pin Non-ECC... I see that PC2700 and 3200 were often used with this 2007 motherboard... Maybe that's the issue?

Also, I ordered 2 CPU's assuming that one might now work just like I ordered 2 MB's so both combos with MB+CPUs and neither work.
Elements that are brand new out of the box would be the PSU, RAM and Graphics card (is used) but tested in my regular PC an works great.... Also, using brand new CMOS battery...

Check and re-check your wiring 99/100

What wiring? no case, so all I have is the main ATX the CPU power, the CPU fan and that's all the wiring...
Ace5high (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 01:08:59 AM

older hardware doesnt like high density ram

Okay, I managed to find some new DDR PC3200 low density, hooked it up and still the exact same issue... Simply no posting... How could all components be bad? 2 - MB, 2 - CPU's, 2 PSU, Tried multiple graphics cards, 2 sets of new ram... What the hell am I don't wrong...  Huh Embarrassed Lips sealed

Are modern pci-e graphics cards not compatible with these old MB's or something??
computerparts

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 04:27:37 AM

Okay, I managed to find some new DDR PC3200 low density, hooked it up and still the exact same issue... Simply no posting... How could all components be bad? 2 - MB, 2 - CPU's, 2 PSU, Tried multiple graphics cards, 2 sets of new ram... What the hell am I don't wrong...  Huh Embarrassed Lips sealed

Are modern pci-e graphics cards not compatible with these old MB's or something??

Looks like you have found your answer
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:18:42 PM

If that was his answer then the motherboard would post and give an error, 2007 era motherbaords and modern gpu's work fine (I actually use a 2007 era dual xeon workstation at home and work FB-DIMMS and all)

Old monitors never ran on paralell ports, they used VGA(DE15) starting in the late 80's and EGA CGA and MDA before that (all DE9)

As for your issue specifically, try posting the motherboard with no memory installed, you should get a bad ram beep code assuming the cpu is functional which limits the issue back to ram selection, if it won't do that either the motherboard or cpu itself is failed. (side note i've never seen a dead core 2 plenty of athlons though)

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Ace5high (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:57:36 PM

As for your issue specifically, try posting the motherboard with no memory installed, you should get a bad ram beep code assuming the cpu is functional which limits the issue back to ram selection, if it won't do that either the motherboard or cpu itself is failed. (side note i've never seen a dead core 2 plenty of athlons though)

Thx I checked the CPU compatibility specs for this MB and was really surprised to find that almost nothing but a P4 is compatible with it. Guy who sold me it said it works with core duo, Celeron's, Pentium D etc, but not according to my research... Hum...

Anyway  ordered a P4 to slap in here, ill update when arrives...
deslok

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 03:31:12 PM

Thx I checked the CPU compatibility specs for this MB and was really surprised to find that almost nothing but a P4 is compatible with it. Guy who sold me it said it works with core duo, Celeron's, Pentium D etc, but not according to my research... Hum...

Anyway  ordered a P4 to slap in here, ill update when arrives...

you'd probably have been better off with a new MB for efficiency sake(p4 wastes energy like there's no tomorrow) and not too different of a price range. Socket 775 covers a lot of chips and can lead to this kind of deception/lack of knowledge.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 06:12:06 PM

I have plugged in 7970 to a G41 chipset which uses DDR2 memory. It works no probs. The board also does not like high density ram (2gb stick with chips on only 1 side of the PCB = no post, but 1GB stick or 2GB stick with chips on both side = works)

Ace5high (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 07:20:17 PM
Last edit: June 08, 2013, 07:31:56 PM by Ace5high

I have plugged in 7970 to a G41 chipset which uses DDR2 memory. It works no probs. The board also does not like high density ram (2gb stick with chips on only 1 side of the PCB = no post, but 1GB stick or 2GB stick with chips on both side = works)

Thanks. Im out of Ideas.

My P4 processor came in and didn't make a dang bit of difference  Sad

So, im now using 1 stick of low density DDR 3200 with chips both sides didn't work either. So far I've tried 2 motherbaords (similar spec) with 3 different processors, 3 different types of DDR and DDR2 Ram, Two power supplies, 3 different graphics cards (all hd5870 and newer) and NO COMBINATION of anything will POST!!

Im so freaking frustrated at this point. Ive never seen anything like this happen in over 20 yeas of building computers Huh Huh

Do I ned to be grounding the whole motherboard or something like that? A MB should post as long as its got CPU +RAM + Graphics card + ATX power and CPU power + Battery even though its outside of a case...? RIGHT?
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:07:09 PM

Have you tried lowering the RAM-speed to the loves possible speed?
I have a MB that was early in ddr3, and I had to lower the RAM-speed to make it boot.

Does any of the MB's have onboard graphics?

The case it unimportant for booting. I and many others have done the classic "MB on table" trick.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
deslok

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 02:27:26 PM

Yes a board should post outside of the case, if you try booting with no memory but just a cpu in the motherboard do you get beep codes?

LinuxNut

Activity: 71

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 02:59:43 PM

Do you have the CPU fan plugged into the correct spot on the board? As I recall some boards will not prompt if the CPU fan is not correct.

BTCBTC SATOSHI KAROSHI - Win up to 9x your bet!BTCBTC
BTC:1LzEmGLrf5iPEaffEULFbSXdYU79imdPo9
camaro69327

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:41:11 PM
Last edit: June 12, 2013, 03:11:45 PM by camaro69327

How are you trying to Start these MB's outside the case?

Just flicking the switch on the back of the Power Supply? (normally will not work) (this will work , once you boot to BIOS , set power ON after power fail).

You have to short the pins to start a MB (unless it is newer and actually has a Start button on the MB)

I removed the power button from an old case to plug into an older MB to fire it up.

Edit : all the header pins are located along the lower edge of a MB ..they are labeled , Speaker, PW SW , Reset, and the like .  all that is necessary is to short the 2 pins that are marked PW SW (Power Switch) with a Screw driver or any metal object. 2 days ago i use a screw that was laying around, (to lazy to get up and get the Switch).

Edit 2: I missed this in your first post
When I fire up the motherboard, all fans run normal but simply wont post any video to the HD5780.

Thought you never had any post of any kind. But you wont get beep codes unless you add a small speaker to that header I mentioned. I use one like this   http://www.amazon.com/PC-Internal-Mini-Onboard-Speaker/dp/B002W4M0DW
NoBit

Activity: 326

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:47:41 PM

In the process of building a secondary GPU miner and have ordered and tested two separate motherboards so far and neither of which I can get to post  Embarrassed

I feel like I am probably making some sort of foolish oversight and don't know why I cannot boot either one...
Ive tested all other components separate, and know that they all work. A good HD5780, goodf power supply, Good DDR2 Ram 2G's, Good CPU Core 2 Duo, Good Hard Drive... When I fire up the motherboard, all fans run normal but simply wont post any video to the HD5780.  

Were old monitors run off parallel ports? I cant recall, I didn't think so but I don't know why else it wouldn't post? Yes, Ive already tried removing ram, Hard drive, clearing the cmos, replacing cmos battery etc... Both boards are good and should work? What am I missing  Huh

If the fans run and there is no video to the monitor, I am 80% sure there is a problem with the compatibility mobo/videocard Is the mobo making any beeps when trying to post:

1) try using the other HDMI/DVI Out of the video card
2) Update Bios
3) Check the PCI-e options in the bios try older video card
4) Post results
Huh
5)Profit?

Give us a link to your motherboard.  Is there an integrated GPU on the board

Bitrated user: nobit.
camaro69327

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 03:30:13 PM

monitor lets talk about that , are you using an adapter to get from your GPU's Dvi connector to an older monitor (VGA)?

A passive DVI-to-VGA adapter. This adapter will NOT work with a DVI-D output. It requires a DVI-I or DVI-A output to get the analog signal to a VGA input

Taken from  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface All the differant connectors are pictured their ,along with the Pinouts.

What you need is to have the 4 pins around the Blade side, (those are the analog pins (RGB) needed for VGA.

Just Guessing....lol
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: