Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:44:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4G LTE Cellular mining connection  (Read 204 times)
JaredKaragen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2017, 10:50:31 PM

So;  I have finally finished the second phase of hardware setup for using a cellular WWAN card in any windows 10 or Ubuntu/Debian machine.

My current endeavors have lead me to have a solution for configuring these two modems:

Gobi2000 (2G/3G/'4G')
Gobi5000 (Sierra EM7355 LTE)

It was quite a mess getting to the point of where they worked;  even as much as the sellers of the M.2 NGFF to USB adaptors telling me the 7355 isn't compatible.... yet it works now.  finally.

My whole thing was being able to have my cellular internet connection via USB.... not stuck to one particular machine like a laptop.  I have a Dell Precision R5500 that I would like to take over the job of being my local node.  I still use the lenovo for now;  but I have it's gobi2000 in a USB enclosure and remote up to where signal is better.... and im not quite done setting up that rack cabinet.  I still need to add filtered vents, a grommeted power cord port, extra power distribution, etc.

If there's an interest over the cellular on USB thing.... Ill write up a list of steps to get it all installed.  I myself was using a lenovo thinkpad as the test machine, and used the lenovo hardware ID for the EM7355 so I could just use the easy to get lenovo driver.  I am sure its as simple as figuring out which hardware ID's are for the generic sierra device so you can use the generic driver if you wish.

To sum up:
The Gobi2000 is pretty painless to get set up compared to the Gobi5000/EM7355.

For the Gobi2000 on linux;  you just need to install wine1.3 or greater, a networkmanager patch, and install the windows gobiinstaller.msi file using wine.  Patch over [and select] the modem firmware in the terminal, and you are done.  For windows 10;  you need the lenovo driver (if you have the lenovo device) and manually install in windows 7 before upgrading to 10.  This is necessary for enabling the radio on the device be default.

For linux with the EM7355, you need to install networkmanager 1.6 (or install Ubuntu 16.10, which I believe comes with networkmanager 1.6).  Networkmanager1.6 has the ability to send the "on" packet to the wireless radio.  You also have to assign the proper hardwareID for the device if you wish to use it in windows, by sending it AT commands... but to do that, you need to use a special utility to send it commands and enable the different system device ports/options such as the com port on it.

Mine was originally from an HP;  but it now has Lenovo hardwareID's.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: