Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:22:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recomendations for a good breaker to handle all of my rigs.  (Read 1790 times)
hendo420 (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 01:46:39 AM

My current breaker gets hot and doesn't trip when it blows, power goes out and switch is still on -.- , I'm worried about this breaker causing problems so I'm going to replace it. What should I be looking for? I don't want to just go to ace and pick up a cheapie, I want one that is going to do good by my rigs. Cheesy

Looking for recommendations.

ebmarket.co

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:51:09 AM

Get an electrician.
Hephaestus

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:53:19 AM

Get an electrician.

+1 this.

If I'm remembering correctly, most residential-grade breakers aren't designed to run at 100% of their rated capacity all the time.  Ask for commercial grade, perhaps.
hendo420 (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 03:28:07 AM

Would it be worth it to get a GFCI breaker?

Something like this.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/electrical/circuit-breakers/molded-case-circuit-breakers/siemens-breaker-20a-1p-120v-10k-qpf-gfci-5ma?utm_source=google_pr&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=VL-Molded-Case-Circuit-Breakers-google_pr&infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CNOIve2A0bcCFWcV7Aod5GQAgA

ebmarket.co
sveetsnelda

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 03:51:33 AM

Would it be worth it to get a GFCI breaker?
Not trying to discourage you, but if you're asking these types of relatively simple questions, then you may need to:

Get an electrician.

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:07:34 AM

goto home depot and get a new breaker with next greater amps rating.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:20:19 AM

THIS IS THE WORSE POSSIBLE ADVICE - DO NOT DO THIS.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Breakers are there to stop the wires in your wall going on fire.  Replacing a breaker with a higher rated one leaves you at risk of burning your house to the ground.

suryc

Activity: 298

Play2Live pre-sale starts on January 25th

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:28:51 AM

Breakers are there to stop the wires in your wall going on fire.  Replacing a breaker with a higher rated one leaves you at risk of burning your house to the ground.

+1

PLAY
            ▄██████████████▄
          ▄██▀▀██████████████▄
        ▄██▀    ▀██████████████▄
      ▄██▀        ▀██████████████▄
    ▄██▀   ██████▄  ▀██████████████▄
  ▄██▀          ██    ▀██████████████▄
 ███       ▄█████▀      ███████████████
  ▀██▄    ▐██         ▄██████████████▀
    ▀██▄  ▐██████▌  ▄██████████████▀
      ▀██▄        ▄██████████████▀
        ▀██▄    ▄██████████████▀
          ▀██▄▄██████████████▀
            ▀██████████████▀
LIVE
██████
███▀▀▀
███

███
███▄▄▄
██████
██████
▀▀▀███
███

███
▄▄▄███
██████
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:25:25 AM

Get an electrician.

+1 Assuming you even figured out which one to purchase, watching you try to remove the old one would probably give me a heart attack.
ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 01:21:04 PM

As an interim solution, I would split your rigs in 2 clusters and make sure you run one cluster from a different fuse.

I'm planning on taking over the spare guest room (different fuse).

I've already taken over the office. Muhahahaha !

My wife complains that "It's a different microclimate" in there.

Duh ! There's 4 graphics cards hashing !

Cheesy
hendo420 (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 05:44:25 PM

As an interim solution, I would split your rigs in 2 clusters and make sure you run one cluster from a different fuse.

Cheesy

I have 8 cards hashing atm with a cheapie window ac unit keeping it all relatively cool in my bedroom. One side of my room is 10+ degrees hotter than the other side. Its rly weird to move 2 feet and feel the temp change. Laying in bed its about 75f, sitting at my computer by the rigs its atleast 85f. lol

Get an electrician.

+1 Assuming you even figured out which one to purchase, watching you try to remove the old one would probably give me a heart attack.

I've changed breakers b4, I was just looking for something better than the ace/homedepot $10 special. You don't have to know a hell of a lot to change a breaker.

ebmarket.co
suryc

Activity: 298

Play2Live pre-sale starts on January 25th

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:31:02 PM

Slight warmth in circuit breakers is normal if you are operating the circuit continuously at near the max current. Circuit breakers have a thermal cut out that heats up when there is any current going through it, the more current the warmer it will get, up to a certain point, when the circuit exceeds the rated amperage, then it will trip. But, circuit breakers should never get "HOT", so you should definitely replace it. Also, be sure to check the wires feeding the circuit breaker to make sure none are loose, that is often the cause of heat/fires. (And, I agree with you, if you have a little experience and you're comfortable with it, you don't need an electrician. Replacing a breaker is probably easier than replacing a light switch or electrical outlet. )

If you want to be really safe, get a CAFCI breaker, but they are expensive and it is really not necessary, the regular ones you get at Home Depot are fine, but after continuous operation at near the max load, they may eventually have to be replaced.

As for a replacing with a higher rated breaker ***I would strongly advise against doing this***, but the code requirement is to have 12-gauge wiring throughout the ENTIRE circuit. Most 15-amp circuits use 14-gauge wire, which is a pretty serious fire hazard if operated at 20amps.

Good luck.

PLAY
            ▄██████████████▄
          ▄██▀▀██████████████▄
        ▄██▀    ▀██████████████▄
      ▄██▀        ▀██████████████▄
    ▄██▀   ██████▄  ▀██████████████▄
  ▄██▀          ██    ▀██████████████▄
 ███       ▄█████▀      ███████████████
  ▀██▄    ▐██         ▄██████████████▀
    ▀██▄  ▐██████▌  ▄██████████████▀
      ▀██▄        ▄██████████████▀
        ▀██▄    ▄██████████████▀
          ▀██▄▄██████████████▀
            ▀██████████████▀
LIVE
██████
███▀▀▀
███

███
███▄▄▄
██████
██████
▀▀▀███
███

███
▄▄▄███
██████
goxed
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 09:53:21 AM

Speed limits are there to keep you safe. Better drive below the speed limit.

If the wiring gauge supports the given amps it does no harm to reach the limit. 

goxed
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 09:58:35 AM

Cheesy

I have 8 cards hashing atm with a cheapie window ac unit keeping it all relatively cool in my bedroom. One side of my room is 10+ degrees hotter than the other side. Its rly weird to move 2 feet and feel the temp change. Laying in bed its about 75f, sitting at my computer by the rigs its atleast 85f. lol

Get an electrician.

I've changed breakers b4, I was just looking for something better than the ace/homedepot $10 special. You don't have to know a hell of a lot to change a breaker.

Usually the next greater amps rating breakers handle the the load of the lower amp breakers well.
Just make sure you are not overloading the circuit amps rating by checking wire gage, and metering your power usage of your circuit.
 Also if u have good power strips, they themselves will limit power drawn at each socket due to a reset switch which pops, so that should take care of some simple overloading anyways.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 02:58:57 PM

My current breaker gets hot and doesn't trip when it blows, power goes out and switch is still on -.- , I'm worried about this breaker causing problems so I'm going to replace it. What should I be looking for? I don't want to just go to ace and pick up a cheapie, I want one that is going to do good by my rigs. Cheesy

No offense, but if you have to ask these types of questions, you really need to get an electrician. It is obvious to me you don't know what you're talking about.

I mean come on.... your question about if you needed GCFI breakers was so lol. You are going to hurt yourself or someone else.
Hephaestus

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 03:33:52 PM

Usually the next greater amps rating breakers handle the the load of the lower amp breakers well.
Just make sure you are not overloading the circuit amps rating by checking wire gage, and metering your power usage of your circuit.
 Also if u have good power strips, they themselves will limit power drawn at each socket due to a reset switch which pops, so that should take care of some simple overloading anyways.

Of course they can handle it "better" but that does not make it safe.

Breakers on power strips are irrelevant, they only protect what's plugged into the strips.  They do NOT protect the wiring in your wall.

How many times does everyone in this thread have to repeat DO NOT USE A BIGGER BREAKER, IT IS A FIRE HAZARD?

If you're having this much trouble with it, have an electrician install additional circuits.  I had a large outlet installed right next to the panel in the basement, and I run a subpanel off it.  Hell, just have two or three 20A circuits installed there and move your rigs to the panel.  But for the love of all that is in your house, don't go putting bigger breakers on things because they're tripping.
EngMan

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 10:15:12 PM

Hephaestus is correct! 100%.

Do you know what happened before breakers (and the fuses that preceeded them)? A crap load of house fires.

When your house was wired, a certain gauge (size) wire was used for each circuit that was run to a breaker that would PROTECT that wire from being overloaded and causing a FIRE within your walls where the wire is run next to (most likely) WOODEN studs.

So when I needed more power for a setup I had an electrician put in a couple more independent circuits in the computer room. Buy a power meter (example a "Kill-a-Watt" available for less than $20) and measure your actual usage. Don't exceed 80% of that usage continuously for that circuit or you'll have popped breakers due to heat problems. The electrician was cheaper than my home owners insurance deductible... If there is a fire, will your insurance cover you when it is determined that dangerous electrical modifications were made to your house/apartment/shack?

BTW I'm not an electrician, but minimal research will show you I'm right. Those breakers tripping are saving you and your house from a potential fire. While I'm on my soapbox....do your smoke detectors work? Do you have a fire extinguisher readily available in different parts of your house?

Sorry, I'm all sold out of x6500's.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: