Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:01:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and generation gap  (Read 1147 times)
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 08:58:20 PM

It's a real phenomenon indeed, although, it doesn't only occur with Bitcoin, it occurs with everything that is digital/online. From online banking to browsing the internet, the older generation has trouble when it comes to online or computer related work. Many people over 40-50 are not used to technology, while almost everything requires access to the internet.

Explaining Bitcoin to most of the people of older generations won't possibly change their view towards it, most won't understand its concept, others will think it's a scam or it's a utopia to become a millionaire. The root of this issue is far broader, the older generations weren't born with computers and all this technology we have now.

You do realise that the people who are in their 40s,50s and sometimes beyond are the ones who built everything that surrounds current tech from the ground up? Mobile phones are now over 30 years old. They weren't developed by goblins and leprechauns.

Someone who is now 50 would only have been in their mid/late twenties when the internet started to become a thing.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ultegra134

Activity: 1554
Merit: 744

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 10:36:27 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2017, 10:51:20 PM by Ultegra134

It's a real phenomenon indeed, although, it doesn't only occur with Bitcoin, it occurs with everything that is digital/online. From online banking to browsing the internet, the older generation has trouble when it comes to online or computer related work. Many people over 40-50 are not used to technology, while almost everything requires access to the internet.

Explaining Bitcoin to most of the people of older generations won't possibly change their view towards it, most won't understand its concept, others will think it's a scam or it's a utopia to become a millionaire. The root of this issue is far broader, the older generations weren't born with computers and all this technology we have now.

You do realise that the people who are in their 40s,50s and sometimes beyond are the ones who built everything that surrounds current tech from the ground up? Mobile phones are now over 30 years old. They weren't developed by goblins and leprechauns.

Someone who is now 50 would only have been in their mid/late twenties when the internet started to become a thing.
Don't compare yourself and your acquaintances with possibly the majority of the population, at least most I've met have little knowledge of the internet and technology. It could be your area/country being more advanced in these sectors. It's not impossible, it's just not that often to come across. I've seen both ends in the exact same age group.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
carlerha

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 11:21:50 PM

Nowadays the “identity” of bitcoin is known well only amongst people, who are pretty much “into” the computer technologies and crypto-world. Others, especially the elder generation (people from 40’, for example), imagine bitcoin as something mysterious, fake and dangerous, though it is not. 
It’s technological contents are more than real and very helpful for the modern world. So, in terms of this situation, I would highly appreciate your help with coming up with easy and understandable lines for changing people’s thoughts and points of view on bitcoin. 

Sadly it's very hard to explain the concept of bitcoin and blockchain. Like every new technologies, generations are left behind and cannot grasp the full concept of these things. I think the best way of explaining it to someone is with visuals, you won't be able to with words only
In light of the past experience we may say that introducing new technology amongst the people is difficult because new technology takes some time to fully introduce himself in an society and among people but if we examine the bitcoin history so we may easily conclude that bitcoin has not taken much time to introduce himself in a country/society as compare to other technology. I don’t think so that bitcoin and new generation has much gap between each other. 
Norihiro (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 102

APOLLOX Protocol

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 11:34:32 PM

Thank you for such lively responds to the topic, I really appreciate that. At first – I want to apologize, if my words insulted someone in any possible way, that’s not what I intended to do. To clarify – I raised up this question basing on the personal experience, but now I’ve got a glance on the another side of reality, from your responds.
Nonetheless, in my opinion, the question is still actual. I really want to change some people’s opinion about crypto-world, but I’ve not found perfect words for that…
Also, I think, this topic will be useful not only for me, but also for other forum users as well.

PERSISTENCE   //   BUY XPRT now!
●✦●───●✦●───  Protocol Powering Next-Gen Financial Products  ───●✦●───●✦●
│██ ██ ███ █████   DeFi    NFT    PoS  █████ ███ ██ ██│
benh

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 12:16:33 AM

I suspect people in Europe and other countries "get" Bitcoin more than most Americans -- old and young. Something like half of all Americans never travel to another country, so multiple currencies are something they never deal with. In contrast, travelers are probably more familiar with the use of multiple currencies, exchanges, etc. That makes it easier for them to approach a new currency like Bitcoin I would imagine.
tweetbit

Activity: 560
Merit: 112

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 12:43:45 AM

If I were you and everyone else’s, I will not assume that the one with younger generation are the one dominating the cryptocurrency are 40 years old and below. If there were s link for you to show about a chart about this particular issue this would be tackled easier. But we all know that statistics about bitcoin users age and gender are being studied for its anonymity features.

HODL
Vendetta666

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 01:51:52 AM

You are right that the elderly today are hard to believe in this trend. And if they believe they will also have difficulty using computers. So I see that the next generation of technology is the one who rules.uAnd maybe the community would be cashless. And the world has no conflict.
andrew24p

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 02:13:03 AM

There is a saying that says something like for every dead person we advance a tiny step. People, especially older generations simply wont get it and never will. This is part of the reason why technology partly advances in waves.

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█                                                                                                                         █
█                                                                                                                         █
█          ██     ██       ▄█▄        ██        ██     ▄██████▄    ██████████    ████████    ██████▄                      █
█          ██     ██       ███        ██        ██     ██     ██       ██        ██          ██    ██                     █
█          ██     ██      ██ ██       ███      ███     ██     ██       ██        ██          ██    ██                     █
█          ██     ██     ▄██ ██▄      ████    ████     ██              ██        ██          ██    ██                     █
█          █████████     ██   ██      ██ ██  ██ ██      ▀█████▄        ██        ███████     ██   ▄█▀                     █
█          ██     ██     ██   ██      ██  █▄▄█  ██            ██       ██        ██          █████                        █
█          ██     ██    ▄███████▄     ██  ████  ██     ██     ██       ██        ██          ██   ██                      █
█          ██     ██    ██     ██     ██   ██   ██     ██     ██       ██        ██          ██    ██                     █
█          ██     ██    ██     ██     ██   ██   ██     ▀██████▀        ██        ████████    ██     ██                    █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
M   A   R   K   E   T   P   L  A   C   E  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

The first token offering total buyback
─────❯❯❯ICO Starts : 28th of November 2017❮❮❮─────

❖TWITTER
❖TELEGRAM
❖WHITEPAPER
❖FACEBOOK
❖ANN THREAD
SLACK
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6142

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 02:20:07 AM

I think that depends on the country. I know two countries pretty well, Germany and Argentina, and I got different impressions from the age structure of the Bitcoin community.

In Germany, I think most Bitcoiners are ~35 and above; many 50+ as well. Many come from communities related to fintech and trading, and some are "serious" investors that have a good salary and regularly use it as a "savings account" speculating on a price rise. There are also younger Bitcoiners, but they seem to be a minority. So I don't see a real generation gap here.

In Argentina it seems to be different. Here it is clearly the younger generation that has something to do with Bitcoin, although not all are twenty-somethings or teens, but I got the impression there are few over 50. This may have to do that most "non-techies" from the older generation in Argentina only recently (in the 5-10 years) got really connected to the Internet. I can imagine that in other "emerging" countries like India or China it may be similar.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
andrew24p

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 02:23:58 AM

Most of the kiddies I know, have nothing to do with Bitcoin and most people that invested are 40+.

What are we considering a kiddy? I mean im 24 and I would agree most people my age have zero idea what bitcoin is, but also most people in their 40s have no idea what it is either. If we take it a step futher I would claim but people my age and in their 40s dont even know what the S&P500 is. The vast majority of people are terrible with investing knowledge.

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█          ██     ██       ▄█▄        ██        ██     ▄██████▄    ██████████    ████████    ██████▄                      █
█          ██     ██       ███        ██        ██     ██     ██       ██        ██          ██    ██                     █
█          ██     ██      ██ ██       ███      ███     ██     ██       ██        ██          ██    ██                     █
█          ██     ██     ▄██ ██▄      ████    ████     ██              ██        ██          ██    ██                     █
█          █████████     ██   ██      ██ ██  ██ ██      ▀█████▄        ██        ███████     ██   ▄█▀                     █
█          ██     ██     ██   ██      ██  █▄▄█  ██            ██       ██        ██          █████                        █
█          ██     ██    ▄███████▄     ██  ████  ██     ██     ██       ██        ██          ██   ██                      █
█          ██     ██    ██     ██     ██   ██   ██     ██     ██       ██        ██          ██    ██                     █
█          ██     ██    ██     ██     ██   ██   ██     ▀██████▀        ██        ████████    ██     ██                    █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
M   A   R   K   E   T   P   L  A   C   E  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

The first token offering total buyback
─────❯❯❯ICO Starts : 28th of November 2017❮❮❮─────

❖TWITTER
❖TELEGRAM
❖WHITEPAPER
❖FACEBOOK
❖ANN THREAD
SLACK
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 1213

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 02:35:06 AM

There is a saying that says something like for every dead person we advance a tiny step. People, especially older generations simply wont get it and never will. This is part of the reason why technology partly advances in waves.
Yes, that might be true. But I believe in future the saying will be changed, for every new born the technology gets updated. An example for the same is the blockchain technology. To fulfill the needs of the growing population its not just possible with the traditional system and in such a manner can experience tremendous growth in technology over the upcoming years.
yojodojo21

Activity: 420
Merit: 171

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 02:38:44 AM

Basically, There are almost 1 Million Members of This Forum, and We do not know if all of members are continually Logging in.
In other words, there are people who uses Gadgets just to entertain themselves through Social media.
And we, who has the Ability to understand what is  crypto currency is a big advantage to them.
Seedify

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 02:55:31 AM

Nowadays the “identity” of bitcoin is known well only amongst people, who are pretty much “into” the computer technologies and crypto-world. Others, especially the elder generation (people from 40’, for example), imagine bitcoin as something mysterious, fake and dangerous, though it is not. 
It’s technological contents are more than real and very helpful for the modern world. So, in terms of this situation, I would highly appreciate your help with coming up with easy and understandable lines for changing people’s thoughts and points of view on bitcoin. 

I think that might be a generalization. Certainly if you look at the rank and file, you're correct. However, there are people over 40 with money who pay people with knowledge of disruptive technologies. They sometimes get into the game big, and make a killing. Others will get into the game, but focus on ways of exploiting it in a nefarious way. Still others will try to control it by any means possible. That last group is the one that should worry us most.
wilhb81

Activity: 224

Any store can buy, sell, and accept Crypto

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 03:48:00 AM

I somehow disagree with your opinion. Actually, there's no any obvious generation gap in Bitcoin's world. It's all about the "Investment's mindset" of the person.

Everyone is unique and they all have their own "investment mindset". Many of my friends (who are over 40s) have been getting involved with Bitcoin before of me (not to mention that they're now financial freedom Smiley)

However, some of the younger generation I met, especially my nephews they all knew about Bitcoin and cryptocurrency. In fact, they've started to mine and invest on it.

Conclusion - Bitcoin is only for those that have "Faith", "Dedication" and "Perseverance" Grin

________Any Store Can Buy, Sell and Accept Cryptocurrency________
█████████ ██ ███ ██      PUNDI X      ██ ███ ██ █████████
Whitepaper      Twitter      Facebook      Telegram      Medium      Youtube
taiwww

Activity: 588
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 03:54:18 AM

Whenever a new technology is introduced it get hit by a gap between two generations.
Young people are always ready to accept new things but older generation try to stick to the current technologies they are using.
Bitcoin is a quiet complex process to understand.
Though people are using Smartphone's and  computers at office or in home this concept/ technique is entirely new for many.
Even though many people over the age of 40 have adopted bitcoin concept in their lives. But a large number of people all over the world will always stay away from cryptocurrencies like bitcoin.
mmmmyah

Activity: 157

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 03:57:10 AM

Rather than going into the technical aspects of the blockchain right away, have you tried explaining the benefits .e.g digital cash, instant international transfers, etc. These are the items that can be used to broach the conversation regardless of how old your audience is. And as they slowly warm up you can go into the technical details.
newlone

Activity: 140

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 04:38:22 AM

In my country many elderly people know virtual currency but in a pooshit way. They were led by the bad guys into the market, but the words about wealth, and finally the elderly they were appropriated property.
DaddyMonsi
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2017, 04:45:09 AM

I admire people who are aged 40 and above who are still open for new things, who still loves to read instead of just watch video, but unfortunately not everyone are open to new technology and would rather give out the reason " you cant teach old dogs new tricks. I am over 40 but still love to learn new technology, I tried to introduced Bitcoin to my older brother but he refused to learn and understand how Bitcoin works.
bubblebit

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 04:57:06 AM

I’m an age sensitive person even I’m below 30 right now. In a world we’re age discrimination is criminalised and who portray age requirement is a weakness. I’m more than positive that 40’s and above individuals have more experienced, more  knowledgeable, much discipline than anyone who were same at my age. I know more investors running at that age than any younger generation who are busy on social media sites.
NavI_027

Activity: 1232
Merit: 186

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 05:03:53 AM

It’s technological contents are more than real and very helpful for the modernwayrld. So, in terms of this situation, I would highly appreciate your help with coming up with easy and understandable lines for changing people’s thoughts and points of view on bitcoin. 

Sad but this is true, it's very hard to bridge the gap between us and the old generations because they can't easily cope to the technological advancements that we have today. Actually this is also my problem right now, I hesitate to withdraw all of my bitcoins because I'm a little bit nervous in what my relatives would think of me if they saw me having lots of money. I'm not sure if they will understand if I explain to them that it came from bitcoins, a decent way of earning an income.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: