Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:30:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How bad is breathing in air from GPU's?  (Read 2666 times)
davemanet (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 05:34:56 PM

I see many people have mining rigs in their rooms, some with 6+ gpu's.  Is the air quality bad?  I know that heated solder is bad for you.  So, isn't it unhealthy to breath in too much of the air coming out of a mining rig?
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:05:39 PM

Not an issue at all.
dagarair

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 06:06:14 PM

its just hot air.  Solder takes a ton more to melt than that

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027
dukemc

Activity: 431
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:10:58 PM

I see many people have mining rigs in their rooms, some with 6+ gpu's.  Is the air quality bad?  I know that heated solder is bad for you.  So, isn't it unhealthy to breath in too much of the air coming out of a mining rig?

The air is not unhealthy but i think i want sit with 6+ GPU´ Rigs in one room - it makes noise.
automobile

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:12:40 PM

How do people work at foundry then?
elissa

Activity: 233

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:13:29 PM

What about radiation or stuff like that? I have 20 GPUs in my apartment.
automobile

Activity: 36

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:16:49 PM

It's not about radiation, it's more about emission, but if it's grounded OK - it's more about the noise.
P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:23:10 PM

lets not forget about the hot stale air and strong electromagnetic field.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:25:32 PM

The radiation can be an issue if you live close to a cell phone tower. Happened a year ago to some forum member. The cell phone company told him he must shut down his rigs because it causes interference.

Also if the equipment is very new there is small contaminants due to the flux burning off. After a month or so it should all burn off.
elissa

Activity: 233

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:25:37 PM

At least you will not pay the bill for heating during winter Cheesy
Zakhal

Activity: 280

I love crypto

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:43:44 PM

Its not the GPU thats unhealty but you who are unhealthy. All that skin that you drop ends up into the nooks and grannies of the GPU. Thats why you should keep your GPUs in a room that is isolated from the rooms where the skin-droppers are living.
Aureliusy

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:44:40 PM

I just took a big inhale from my MSI aero 1070 Gtx's. Still alive and well.
Results may vary with different cards.
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2108
Merit: 1397

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:48:55 PM

What about radiation or stuff like that? I have 20 GPUs in my apartment.

Yes, hot air mixed in with extremely toxic chemicals, beta and alpha radiation emissions due to the ghz frequencies, as well as proton emission decays due to the unique ethereum algorithm computation that happens inside the GPU will most likely fry your brain within a week if you stay within 100ft of more than 10 GPUs.

With 20 you should be dead already...

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 07:01:40 PM

It really is no different than running a few computers in your home or office, same components. The miners may run a bit warmer and heat up and dry out your air, but other than that no real bad effect should come of it. As was mentioned, there may be some new component smell the first few weeks, but again that would be no different than any other new electronics in your house. If you are really concerned open up a window for some fresh air.

There may indeed be an increase in the RF noise floor which can cause some some other radio devices in your house to not function properly (RF remotes, WIFI, TV (off air) reception) but this usually only manifests once you get 20-30 GPUs running in a close area. I do not really think they will cause any health issues unless you are sleeping or living right next to a bunch of GPUs 24/7. By that I mean you would need to be within a couple of feet at all times, since RF radiation adheres to the inverse square law meaning every doubling of distance between you and the RF emitter, the power level decreases by a factor of 4. So the RF power at 2 feet will be 1/4 that of 1 foot, and the power at 4 feet will be 1/16th that and so on. If you put an obstruction in the way, such as a wall, this increases even more so just keep them in a separate room than where you spend a lot of you time.
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 07:02:19 PM

It is not a problem if you have enough of airflow from your windows or you have placed your mining rig(s) in a big basement which has a lot of surface in square meters. If you keep your rig inside a room , small one without windows so the air is to heavy, all the dust that the fan of the cards make it is not healthy for you. The rigs I have together with friends we keep them in a big basement surface which we have rented and with good airflow, rarely we stay them, we check them from teamviewer and go there when we have a problem.

The rig I have at home ,I have it in my room, I keep my window of my room always open to have good airflow. In other words it all depends at how good you have placed your mining rig and how good of airflow it has.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
iminethereforeiam

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 07:12:57 PM

It is not a problem if you have enough of airflow from your windows or you have placed your mining rig(s) in a big basement which has a lot of surface in square meters. If you keep your rig inside a room , small one without windows so the air is to heavy, all the dust that the fan of the cards make it is not healthy for you. The rigs I have together with friends we keep them in a big basement surface which we have rented and with good airflow, rarely we stay them, we check them from teamviewer and go there when we have a problem.

The rig I have at home ,I have it in my room, I keep my window of my room always open to have good airflow. In other words it all depends at how good you have placed your mining rig and how good of airflow it has.

That's also what I do also. Keep the window open and let the air flow.
Morgoth2k6

Activity: 57

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 07:36:50 PM

Heated solder is bad because of the flux fumes. So, unless the GPU is releasing the magic smoke from its internals, you should be fine even with a couple of rigs.
The noise however, that's real pollution  Grin
Miner4ever

Activity: 168
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 07:53:17 PM

Nah, so many unhealty product we are eating and drinking that this small amount of not so helty air will make no difference.
Mobile phone is much more damage tu us, radiation, non stop in touch with who know how dangerous materials made from...
Lanatsa

Activity: 2842
Merit: 654

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 07:59:42 PM

The radiation can be an issue if you live close to a cell phone tower. Happened a year ago to some forum member. The cell phone company told him he must shut down his rigs because it causes interference.

Also if the equipment is very new there is small contaminants due to the flux burning off. After a month or so it should all burn off.
There would really be residue specially on new miners which would eventually burn off later on. I cant see that the air been produced by these miners are healthy at all.Even it is just a warm air but thinking off those are being generated which do really have substance accompanied and the main concern is not actually the hot air but the noise that it do generates and since you are operating mining then expect these kind of things and get used to it.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
beebee187

Activity: 256

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 08:03:02 PM

I don't know that there is any major health concerns about emissions from the GPU cards. I do know that if you are in a small contained area that you better have a good air conditioner and a set of noise cancelling headphones. These rigs generate a heck of a lot of heat and noise, so more of a comfort concern versus a health concern in my opinion.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: