Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 1512 times)
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 04:44:39 PM

Can anyone point to any successful sales of high denomination coins like these in recent times? All I can see are examples that appear to linger for years on end.

I suspect that many holders of 10s are unwilling to accept a BTC price lower than what they paid for the coin. This means many are unwilling to let them go for less than 16-18.

I also suspect that the phenomenon of Casascius coins holding their premiums in terms of BTC is over, and that sellers turn down any reasonable offers at their own peril. I expect BTC premiums to continue to drop.

But hey, what do I know?

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 04:56:22 PM

But hey, what do I know?

I think you know more than enough. The big buck coin owners are either going to have to get realistic or enjoy their coins for all eternity.

It's interesting how invisible they've become. I'm wondering whether it's a trough or whether they'll remain rather obscure.
astrocity1981

Activity: 343
Merit: 254

From The New World

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 06:33:44 PM

I think the premiums will continue to  drop as well, but for many people that do not have a casascius coin. May be willing to pay a premium just to own a part of BTC history.
dazedfool (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1127

derp

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 06:49:55 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2017, 07:06:52 PM by dazedfool

Can anyone point to any successful sales of high denomination coins like these in recent times? All I can see are examples that appear to linger for years on end.

therealNano sold one to mindtrip back in June of this year: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1965489.0

and one sold on ebay last month for $46K apparently: https://www.ebay.com/itm/272851711978
dazedfool (OP)
Legendary

derp

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 06:57:42 PM

I suspect that many holders of 10s are unwilling to accept a BTC price lower than what they paid for the coin. This means many are unwilling to let them go for less than 16-18.

I also suspect that the phenomenon of Casascius coins holding their premiums in terms of BTC is over, and that sellers turn down any reasonable offers at their own peril. I expect BTC premiums to continue to drop.

But hey, what do I know?

Lol @ "sellers turn down any reasonable offers at their own peril".

How do you define reasonable? What might the peril be? Stuck with a terribly shiny token for a few more years?  Tongue

It's just a thin market with unmotivated sellers. They have a rare and desirable thing, so they can ask whatever they want, for as long as they want. Maybe a motivated buyer will come along and meet their ask, maybe not. Maybe it sits in storage for a few more years.
Gatorelf

Activity: 845
Merit: 267

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 07:26:12 PM

But hey, what do I know?

Lol @ "sellers turn down any reasonable offers at their own peril".

How do you define reasonable? What might the peril be? Stuck with a terribly shiny token for a few more years?  Tongue

It's just a thin market with unmotivated sellers. They have a rare and desirable thing, so they can ask whatever they want, for as long as they want. Maybe a motivated buyer will come along and meet their ask, maybe not. Maybe it sits in storage for a few more years.

I thought that was your coin Smiley   These things will just be swapping with millionaires now and in the future. Im a little salty the tax man got most my collection but I have a couple of super tenths and some other cool coins. It wont be long (couple years) before these 10 btc and higher loaded coins will have to sell at Sotheby's  like rare cars sell.  Congrats on your investment !
cryptoheadd

Activity: 1022
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 09:31:38 PM

Hey stranger! I aim to please... if/when BTC cracks $6000, I'll up the price to $150K  Grin

Time to up the price?  Wink
dazedfool (OP)
Legendary

derp

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 10:14:07 PM

Hey stranger! I aim to please... if/when BTC cracks $6000, I'll up the price to $150K  Grin

Time to up the price?  Wink

Done  Cool
Ticked

Activity: 1526
Merit: 473

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 05:10:00 AM

But hey, what do I know?

I agree with this...for a period of time...after which - when and if classic numismatic collectors get interested...we may see unfathomable premiums. Or at least sustained.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2017, 06:19:45 AM

I escrowed a sale of 2 x Cas 10 coins last week. I will see if the seller is good with me stating prices...
nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 11:20:49 AM

But hey, what do I know?

"Reasonable" is subjective; the peril is unrealized gains. Tinfoil is shiny -- but if someone offers me $50 for a piece of it, I'm not gonna hold out for $100.

We all have different motivations, all I'm saying is that if you are hoping to maximize your dollar return, sitting on this coin isn't the way to do it. Best of luck with the sale Smiley

dozerz
Legendary

Activity: 2215
Merit: 1057

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 11:43:06 AM

interesting that premiums for casascius coins have remained mostly steady even with the rise in bitcoin value. will the trend continue post $1k usd remains to be seen. some would say this is already due to numismatic value but without pcgs or ngc gradings it maybe some time before crypto coins go mainstream if ever.

space for rent, shilling for sats
nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 12:15:40 PM

interesting that premiums for casascius coins have remained mostly steady even with the rise in bitcoin value. will the trend continue post $1k usd remains to be seen. some would say this is already due to numismatic value but without pcgs or ngc gradings it maybe some time before crypto coins go mainstream if ever.

Just saying, 1BTC silvers were selling for >3 for a while...

dozerz
Legendary

Activity: 2215
Merit: 1057

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 12:20:09 PM

Just saying, 1BTC silvers were selling for >3 for a while...

at peak hype yes, errors also went >4 at one stage.

interested to hear if blazed can share the prices.

space for rent, shilling for sats
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 12:27:43 PM

at peak hype yes, errors also went >4 at one stage.

If I remember rightly people were asking for over 6 fairly regularly. I suppose it didn't matter all that much when BTC was $200 ish. It certainly does now.
OneNattyLitecoin

Activity: 356
Merit: 335

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 12:33:00 PM

Last price publicized was Mindtrips 16.25BTC. BTC was in the low $4ks if I recall correctly.

you were offered ~$30k for a piece of silver in this thread, and you said sorry, too low. Couple that with most believe BTC is going to $7k, 10k, etc, it’s nothing short of lunacy.

bavicrypto
Copper Member

Activity: 1848
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 01:02:56 PM

It all depends on what the btc price does. If it goes down, the coin might gain value in btc. Also don't forget that these coins will hold all the new crypto coins from the forks. So a cas will hold btc/bch/btg and segwit 2x next month already. Not just btc. Add that to the collectable aspect, and these these coins might outperform btc. Again, it all depends on how fast btc rises/drops.

The only way is up ~bavicrypto
nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 05:55:24 PM

So a cas will hold btc/bch/btg and segwit 2x next month already. Not just btc.

Yeah, but so will paper wallets. Should we pay a $35,000 premium for those?

Gatorelf

Activity: 845
Merit: 267

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:28:51 PM

another thing to look at as far as should I sell part of my collection/investment is, what % of my net worth is in crypto. Is it 40% or more...

If you have increased your net worth 10 x or so on a particular investment in a relative short time you would want to start to diversify your assets. Protect your capital, Land (Tree Farm) / rental property, Stock, a business, Silver/Gold and other collectibles.

just my 2 satoshi  Smiley
dazedfool (OP)
Legendary

derp

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 09:09:41 PM

So a cas will hold btc/bch/btg and segwit 2x next month already. Not just btc.

Yeah, but so will paper wallets. Should we pay a $35,000 premium for those?

Should you? Up to you. Might you? If you want it badly enough...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: