Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:49:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Biggist Threat To Decentralized Crypto-Currency And The Bitcoin Ideology  (Read 3661 times)
JuenoMT (OP)

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

Founder of The Bit Bit Forum

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 11:48:08 AM

Therefore, I was only trying to be less wrong through clarification, I think this is the process in any honest debate,... No?

Then why not just make another post with clarifications, or make your edits clear so newcomers to the discussion would see both he original and the edited? To do otherwise smells of intellectual dishonesty, but that's just my 2 satoshis.

Got it, I detest Intellectual dishonesty so your advice carries great weight with me. I will endeavor to bring clarity to future clarification with the use of the profound "EDIT:" tag.

Thanks for your advice, your 2 satoshis hold great value in my eyes.

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JuenoMT (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 12:17:51 PM

By the way, I'll just add that ideally, or at least long-term, bitcoin mining profit should approach zero. It doesn't matter if you are mining with CPU, GPU, or ASIC, as long as there is any profit at all, more people will start mining, until the difficulty gets high enough to where everyone only makes just enough to cover their costs. So in that sense, even if you do get an ASIC, you will rapidly be left in the cold, still, as other people also get more ASICs, and then you may end up with an expensive hardware device that you have no means to pay off.

Human nature dictates that breaking even is not sufficient. Currently bitcoin transitions must be confirmed and the higher the confirmation fee paid the faster the transaction. Confirmers can set the priority of confirmations based on the amount confirmation fee. This can create the same issue even if all bitcoins have been mined. Those with large confirmation capacity have the advantage. They could charge less because of the volume and speed they offer yet make more money. Over time you may end up with large "clearing houses" and few if any smaller operations. At that point the stage is set for a monopoly and price fixing/gouging.

Also, what you express, if true, only holds true with the assumption that only bitcoin is involved or even exists in the future. Even now there are many alt-coins and new alt-coin are being created almost constantly. It is easy to see how relying on bitcoin alone cannot be the answer.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 01:59:44 AM

Regarding your other posts, we haven't paid for people efforts and labor in centuries. We pay people for the products of their minds. Those that know best, earn most. Which I believe is not only fair, but beneficial. We wouldn't want people who pour plastic and aluminum into molds designing the style and features of an iPhone, or the people who dig holes in the ground figuring out where to dig for oil and how best to transport it to the market where you can get top dollar, where it's needed most.

Human nature dictates that breaking even is not sufficient.

Of course. We all always strive for more, but there is usually only so much to get, and it's just natural for all our combined striving to eventually reach equilibrium with what we actually get out of it. This is the way it is in all business: long-term profit tends towards zero, because other companies join in to compete, and drive your prices down until you can sell your stuff only for exactly what it cost you to make it. This is also what drives people to innovate and figure out how to get just a little bit more than what has been previously available. This can be a more efficient production method, cheaper material, or more innovative product. Those people are the ones who earn more, because they discover something new, that others want, and that benefits everyone, and they do this by using their heads, instead of just their brawn.

Currently bitcoin transactions must be confirmed and the higher the confirmation fee paid the faster the transaction. Confirmers can set the priority of confirmations based on the amount confirmation fee. This can create the same issue even if all bitcoins have been mined. Those with large confirmation capacity have the advantage.

I don't think "confirmation capacity" is an issue. You can store an enormous amount of confirmations in 2 gigs of ram, and that's a fairly cheap thing for anyone to own.

They could charge less because of the volume and speed they offer yet make more money.

Miners don't charge, they just accept whatever fees are available. They can choose to only accept higher fee transactions, but that would exclude the lower fees from their profits. Everyone else will likely include all the fees, including the lower ones, too. So the only way they can make more money is by having more hashing power.

Over time you may end up with large "clearing houses" and few if any smaller operations. At that point the stage is set for a monopoly and price fixing/gouging.

Clearing houses? For what, mining transactions into a block? How would that lead to price fixing? Unless you are talking about the price everyone has to pay to get a transaction processed (mining fee), and they have a monopoly on mining power (51% of the hashing power), in which case it's a 51% attack that has been discussed at length. Someone having that power will put uncertainty in the Bitcoin system itself, possibly causing Bitcoin value to crash, and would hurt them in the process, too.

Also, what you express, if true, only holds true with the assumption that only bitcoin is involved or even exists in the future. Even now there are many alt-coins and new alt-coin are being created almost constantly. It is easy to see how relying on bitcoin alone cannot be the answer.

Try to find and read some information online about "network effect." It's what explains eBay, Facebook, Windows, Blue ray, etc. Bitcoin has it, and it's why alt-coins will likely always fail, or at most be second best.
JuenoMT (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 07:18:24 AM

we haven't paid for people efforts and labor in centuries.

I'm not sure what may be happening here. I am wondering if I have somehow connected to a blog from the future! The following statement doesn't seem like the familiar world I have grown up in... "we haven't paid for people(s) efforts and labor in centuries"...? Were do you live cause I want to live there!

Obviously you have not worked much as a laborer, I can attest to having to work at mindless, physically demanding jobs that do not justly compensate for the blood (literally) sweat and brawn that I had to provide to make an income, and I assure I am not a centurion so I did not hold those jobs "centuries ago". There are MANY jobs that pay only on your ability to do physical labor and require VERY LITTLE knowledge beyond perhaps knowing what day of the week it is, how to tell time, how to set an alarm clock, how to dress oneself and performing MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO tasks like mashing a few buttons/icons (illustrated with simple cartoon like pictures to make sure you know what the button/icon is for.) In addition, there are a large number of jobs that involve very intensive physical tasks that over time cause damage to the health of the laborer. Indeed such jobs are rapidly changing with advances in technology such as automation and mass production and there is a trend to reduce some of the negative consequences of working under less than ideal conditions, but this is besides the point. Somehow I don't think a college degree is a prerequisite to hold a position as a garbage collector or janitor... umm... I mean "sanitation technician", food service employee, lawnmower (grounds keeping) or to haul/move goods like furniture, office equipment, etc... Regardless of all this (and more), you could only come close to saying such a thing in the context of a modern society. What of the people from third world countries, do their efforts not count?

Focusing on to many specifics serves as a red herring and does not address the issue.

Human nature dictates that breaking even is not sufficient.

Of course. We all always strive for more, but there is usually only so much to get,...

Hummm... This is actually part of my point and I will further this concept with quotes from what you yourself have written.

This is the way it is in all business: long-term profit tends towards zero, because other companies join in to compete, and drive your prices down until you can sell your stuff only for exactly what it cost you to make it...

Yes and no. Generally speaking, people do not put forth effort if there is a guarantee of a loss for their efforts, specifically in terms of not being able to achieve bare basic returns, e.g... making a basic living. Individuals (including those who own or work for a company) who produce a product or provide a service will also try to protect their resources which includes their incomes so there is an incentive to inflate prices, manipulate markets, bolster advertising with exaggerated or false claims and will use many other tactics to at least stay at a level income.

This is also what drives people to innovate and figure out how to get just a little bit more than what has been previously available. This can be a more efficient production method, cheaper material, or more innovative product. Those people are the ones who earn more, because they discover something new, that others want, and that benefits everyone, and they do this by using their heads, instead of just their brawn.

Exactly on target, but not quite there. One misconception is the fact that most innovations do not benefit the innovator as much as those innovations line the pockets of savvy business types that pray on optimistic people who have invented something new. Most often what occurs is that a new idea is evaluated by an entity and if its profit potential looks good, that entity will make an offer to the ideas creator to purchase or license the idea. To maximize profit potential, the entity usually understates the ideas potential value, convinces the ideas creator that the entity is doing them a favor by taking a SUBSTANTIAL RISK that may loose money for the entity. Which is just a old salesmens trick used to justify a shockingly low offer for an idea that has amazing potential.

Currently bitcoin transactions must be confirmed and the higher the confirmation fee paid the faster the transaction. Confirmers can set the priority of confirmations based on the amount confirmation fee. This can create the same issue even if all bitcoins have been mined. Those with large confirmation capacity have the advantage.

I don't think "confirmation capacity" is an issue. You can store an enormous amount of confirmations in 2 gigs of ram, and that's a fairly cheap thing for anyone to own.

Perhaps, but I do not see how that negates my statements. So lets say at some point memory is free to all, even then being faster than someone else at confirming transactions through the use of more advanced hardware still makes you faster than someone else and that means more volume and higher volume means higher profit even if you have the lowest price (think Walmart). The confirmer at a disadvantage is not the one who charges the least, but the one who has to charge the most.  I don't see what storage capacity has to do with confirmations, at least not for new transactions. Every transaction must be confirmed, so a new transaction must still be confirmed even if the value included in the new transaction was confirmed in a prior transaction. A confirmation uses (strictly speaking) compute cycles just the same. Couple this fact with your statement above about competition and how that spurs innovation and I think you have gone a long ways to proving some of my assertions.

They could charge less because of the volume and speed they offer yet make more money.

Miners don't charge, they just accept whatever fees are available. They can choose to only accept higher fee transactions, but that would exclude the lower fees from their profits. Everyone else will likely include all the fees, including the lower ones, too. So the only way they can make more money is by having more hashing power.

I'm sorry, but I do not see the distinction, the ability to choose a payment level for the confirmation service is tantamount to the same thing. Even though miners may passively confirm transactions its still part of the profit incentive to mine and will be the only way to earn money when all bitcoins are mined. So what do you think a miner will do with all that hardware they had invested in so that they could mine? And what will the miner do to maximize their return? Easy, refuse to confirm any transaction unless it is some X% of the transaction, or at least set transaction fees much higher than they are currently. Seems like something you get in the mail from your bank telling you that they are unilaterally raising every fee they have and saying its necessary. Once enough people decide to do the same, then you have a base rate that almost all charge for the service. Except those who have the fastest confirmation speeds, they might charge around 3% less. Even though 3% doesn't sound like much, its still the lower fee so do you think most people will decide to pay that 3% more or the 3% less? Thats how it works today in all the fiat systems.

Over time you may end up with large "clearing houses" and few if any smaller operations. At that point the stage is set for a monopoly and price fixing/gouging.

Clearing houses? For what, mining transactions into a block? How would that lead to price fixing? Unless you are talking about the price everyone has to pay to get a transaction processed (mining fee), and they have a monopoly on mining power (51% of the hashing power), in which case it's a 51% attack that has been discussed at length. Someone having that power will put uncertainty in the Bitcoin system itself, possibly causing Bitcoin value to crash, and would hurt them in the process, too.

Yes, thats correct, but rather it is more apt to call it a "confirmation fee." On the 51% attack, as I understand it, thats more like theft. Think more along the lines of "The Big Three." Most major industries have three top selling companies that control the majority of the market for their product. A 51% theft would require a collusion of the top confirmers to agree to conduct the theft and is less likely. But why bother with a 51% attack when the largest confirmation clearing houses silently agree to fix prices? Will it happen that way? I duno. There is historical precedence for this type of activity, so, would you prefer to just close your eyes and pretend the risk isn't there or would you prefer steps are taken early enough to negater the risk as much as possible?

Try to find and read some information online about "network effect." It's what explains eBay, Facebook, Windows, Blue ray, etc. Bitcoin has it, and it's why alt-coins will likely always fail, or at most be second best.

What makes you so sure that bitcoin will be the sole survivor. You don't think crypto-currency can be innovated any further? What makes you so sure miners will not abandon bitcoin in droves when you can't mine it anymore in favor of some other crypto-currency that lets them return to mining for profit ? If to many jump ship who will confirm all those transactions? Do you think people wont just switch to the new pop currency or do you think people will just love bitcoin to much to let that happen?

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 04:48:13 AM

we haven't paid for people efforts and labor in centuries.

I'm not sure what may be happening here. I am wondering if I have somehow connected to a blog from the future! The following statement doesn't seem like the familiar world I have grown up in... "we haven't paid for people(s) efforts and labor in centuries"...? Were do you live cause I want to live there!

Obviously you have not worked much as a laborer, I can attest to having to work at mindless, physically demanding jobs that do not justly compensate for the blood (literally) sweat and brawn that I had to provide to make an income, and I assure I am not a centurion so I did not hold those jobs "centuries ago".

Perhaps tat was a bit too much of an extreme statement. I guess "we do not pay almost anything at all for people's labor" and more specifically "labor, alone." Those food service employees, groundskeepers, movers, and even garbage collectors, know how to do their specific skill, and after training know how to do it well. We pay them for their knowledge, and to apply their knowledge, and we pay those who know how to apply it, the most. Especially so in third world countries, where people have to know how to survive. Incidentally, I worked in fast food, retail, and other menial jobs as well.

This is the way it is in all business: long-term profit tends towards zero, because other companies join in to compete, and drive your prices down until you can sell your stuff only for exactly what it cost you to make it...

Yes and no. Generally speaking, people do not put forth effort if there is a guarantee of a loss for their efforts, specifically in terms of not being able to achieve bare basic returns, e.g... making a basic living. Individuals (including those who own or work for a company) who produce a product or provide a service will also try to protect their resources which includes their incomes so there is an incentive to inflate prices, manipulate markets, bolster advertising with exaggerated or false claims and will use many other tactics to at least stay at a level income.

People put effort until the loss from their effort equals the gain. As to companies. As for making a basic living, that is typically a market force, outside of people's control. If my skill set, be it labor or products, only allows me to make $10 a day, and I need $20 a day to survive, I can't simply demand a job from someone else that pays me $20, or demand that customers buy my products when they don't want to. I can only get paid what I, or my products, are worth. Inflating prices won't work, because everyone will buy cheaper from my competitors. Manipulating markets won't work, because I would get caught for the crime, and I probably can't afford to, anyway. Advertising might work, but that adds to my expense, and can hurt me if the claims are false.

This is also what drives people to innovate and figure out how to get just a little bit more than what has been previously available. This can be a more efficient production method, cheaper material, or more innovative product. Those people are the ones who earn more, because they discover something new, that others want, and that benefits everyone, and they do this by using their heads, instead of just their brawn.

Exactly on target, but not quite there. One misconception is the fact that most innovations do not benefit the innovator as much as those innovations line the pockets of savvy business types that pray on optimistic people who have invented something new. Most often what occurs is that a new idea is evaluated by an entity and if its profit potential looks good, that entity will make an offer to the ideas creator to purchase or license the idea. To maximize profit potential, the entity usually understates the ideas potential value, convinces the ideas creator that the entity is doing them a favor by taking a SUBSTANTIAL RISK that may loose money for the entity. Which is just a old salesmens trick used to justify a shockingly low offer for an idea that has amazing potential.

Speaking from some experience, that's actually what happens the rarest, but is just heard about most often. What actually happens most often is that the innovation is done by the very people who run or start the business, or that those with a lot of money fund and hie innovators, giving them loads of money in hopes they create something for them. The few cases involving inventors coming up with something and getting help from an entity that tells them they are taking a substantial risk, they aren't lying. Most businesses fail, and most venture capital investments fail. I know this because I deal with business, I deal with venture capital, and I have an invention I am also trying to sell. This isn't something I can simply "prove" to you, without spending an enormous amount of time looking for sources, but I hope may be intuitive to you if you think about how large businesses actually compete. That is where a lot of innovation happens, most of the time in small tweaks and adjustment to process here and there, not in tinkerer's garages.

Perhaps, but I do not see how that negates my statements. So lets say at some point memory is free to all, even then being faster than someone else at confirming transactions through the use of more advanced hardware still makes you faster than someone else and that means more volume and higher volume means higher profit even if you have the lowest price (think Walmart). The confirmer at a disadvantage is not the one who charges the least, but the one who has to charge the most.  I don't see what storage capacity has to do with confirmations, at least not for new transactions. Every transaction must be confirmed, so a new transaction must still be confirmed even if the value included in the new transaction was confirmed in a prior transaction. A confirmation uses (strictly speaking) compute cycles just the same. Couple this fact with your statement above about competition and how that spurs innovation and I think you have gone a long ways to proving some of my assertions.

Sorry, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Why would a confirmer charge anything? Do you mean "accept transactions with fees?" Why would someone not accept certain cheaper fee transactions, if the effect of including them in the block they are mining are negligible?

I'm sorry, but I do not see the distinction, the ability to choose a payment level for the confirmation service is tantamount to the same thing. Even though miners may passively confirm transactions its still part of the profit incentive to mine and will be the only way to earn money when all bitcoins are mined. So what do you think a miner will do with all that hardware they had invested in so that they could mine? And what will the miner do to maximize their return? Easy, refuse to confirm any transaction unless it is some X% of the transaction, or at least set transaction fees much higher than they are currently. Seems like something you get in the mail from your bank telling you that they are unilaterally raising every fee they have and saying its necessary. Once enough people decide to do the same, then you have a base rate that almost all charge for the service. Except those who have the fastest confirmation speeds, they might charge around 3% less. Even though 3% doesn't sound like much, its still the lower fee so do you think most people will decide to pay that 3% more or the 3% less? Thats how it works today in all the fiat systems.

Ah, I sort of see. First, how would someone have faster confirmation speeds? Speeds are locked to 10 minutes per block. Do you mean someone who has more hashing power to find a higher percentage of blocks? As for the idea that "once enough people decide to do the same," that idea will be spoiled as soon as someone decides to make more that everyone else by taking the 2% and 1% fees that are lying around that no one else is taking. Banks can get away with it because you can't switch easily. You, as a customer, have what is called a "switching cost," which is also why you can be locked into an iPhone and be gouged by ridiculous music prices and app restrictions. With mining, all the customer knows is that higher fees put the transaction at a higher priority within the code, so higher fees should be pad for fast transactions, and lower or zero fees for money you don't mind taking hours to move. Someone, somewhere, will be mining and accepting zero fee transactions, and ruining it for all the other organized price gouging miners.

Yes, thats correct, but rather it is more apt to call it a "confirmation fee." On the 51% attack, as I understand it, thats more like theft. Think more along the lines of "The Big Three." Most major industries have three top selling companies that control the majority of the market for their product. A 51% theft would require a collusion of the top confirmers to agree to conduct the theft and is less likely. But why bother with a 51% attack when the largest confirmation clearing houses silently agree to fix prices? Will it happen that way? I duno. There is historical precedence for this type of activity, so, would you prefer to just close your eyes and pretend the risk isn't there or would you prefer steps are taken early enough to negater the risk as much as possible?

Well, 51% would be really bad for the Big Three, since people would lose faith in the system they are making money off of. As for fixing prices, it might happen. Personally I still doubt it. Mainly because the actual mining is easy to get into (no barriers to entry is the business term). Anyone can (or will be able to) go out and buy an ASIC, and it won't be all tat much worse than what the Big Three have. Sure, you won't have terahashes at your disposal, but the proportion of costs to returns will likely be close enough. I expect there will be hobbyist miners around the world. The other big thing is that, while it may eventually take a lot of capital to support the blockchain files, that, again, doesn't apply to the actual mining. So what I suspect we will have is the same pool structure we have now, with pools providing the infrastructure, and anyone with an ASIC being able to freely join and contribute. In this case it won't be a collusion between Big Three as to what to do, it will be the thousands of miners arguing and debating about what fees the pool should take, and the pools competing for miners just as much as for the fees.

What makes you so sure that bitcoin will be the sole survivor. You don't think crypto-currency can be innovated any further?

Of course it can be. And it will be. It's just that all the innovators will innovate on the currency that everyone else is using, too. And everyone else will be using the currency their friends are using, and which is being the most innovated on. Bitcoin is just a set of communication protocols, with some software to make it work, but the software can be changed and improved upon. Why replace it when you have an established network of users and contributors already? Again, look into network effect.

What makes you so sure miners will not abandon bitcoin in droves when you can't mine it anymore in favor of some other crypto-currency that lets them return to mining for profit?

What makes you so sure other currencies will give them a profit? First, miners don't make a currency. No one using dollars or euros cares what kind of printing presses that cash goes through. People who use currency only care about what kind of software, hardware, and services are available (hardware wallets, point of sale systems, web wallets), and whether everyone else they know, like their friends and stores they shop at, use it to. Second, what do you think will happen when miners leave in droves to mine elsewhere? I would think that mining difficulty will drop, making bitcoin mining profitable again.

If to many jump ship who will confirm all those transactions?

If they are jumping ship because ASICs are too powerful and are contributing more hashing power that these miners can, then I would suspect those same ASICs would confirm those transactions. The miners are basically being kicked out because they are insignificant, and at the same time you are suggesting that the network won't be able to work without them.

Do you think people wont just switch to the new pop currency or do you think people will just love bitcoin to much to let that happen?

See above regarding miners not being important and network effects for rest of users.

P.S. It's late and I have a headache, so sorry if this came out sounding a bit too strongly argumentative. Please let me know if you have any more objections and such.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 08:39:31 AM

You SERIOUSLY need to spend much more time in the Economics/Politics section of this forum. You have a lot to learn. This was a very long and very thought out post, and you should be proud of it, but there are just so many misconceptions in it regarding the way people and markets work that it would take for ever to address them all. Sorry.

Well, yah.  That's what I was thinking.  Obviously intelligent and capable, but not having read Hyack, Simons, Grisham, ... wait...

That's a lot of work.  How about just checking out some Peter Schiff youtube videos?

or some other youtube?  What's the quickie intro to economics of the under?

The most painless way to learn basic economics is still Irwin Schiff's original comic book, How an Economy Grows and Why it Doesn't:

http://freedom-school.com/money/how-an-economy-grows.pdf (PDF)

http://home.earthlink.net/~schiffeconomics/01.htm (HTML)
johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 04:00:22 AM

I am a college student studing for a double major (computer enginering and physics) and working towards an eventual PHD.
You must be a freshman LAWLZ
jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 10:29:57 PM

The proof of work mining should be used to balance the network, otherwise the network with naturally clump into larger and larger nodes. That's why a good businessman is all about connections.

I'm not talking about penalising nodes for being big, I'm talking about load balancing to cancel out the natural network effect.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 01:19:39 AM

The proof of work mining should be used to balance the network, otherwise the network with naturally clump into larger and larger nodes. That's why a good businessman is all about connections.

I'm not talking about penalising nodes for being big, I'm talking about load balancing to cancel out the natural network effect.

You have any ideas how?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: