Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:58:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to buy PUT options on ASICMiner  (Read 2632 times)
Vycid (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:12:52 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2013, 12:54:52 AM by Vycid

Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out a way to buy PUT options on ASICMiner stock, or, less ideally, short sell it.

Ideally, I'm looking for options with an expiration of a few months and a strike in the range of 1.5 - 2.0BTC.

Is there any way to achieve this, or am I SOL? The options listed for sale on btct and bitfunder don't fit the criteria, and I'm looking to buy, so I can't write my own.

Update:

I will immediately purchase ASICMiner puts expiring September 1st, with a strike of 1.8BTC, and a premium of 0.14BTC.

3 BTC limit.

Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:33:46 PM

Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out a way to buy PUT options on ASICMiner stock, or, less ideally, short sell it.

Ideally, I'm looking for options with an expiration of a few months and a strike in the range of 1.5 - 2.0BTC.

Is there any way to achieve this, or am I SOL? The options listed for sale on btct and bitfunder don't fit the criteria, and I'm looking to buy, so I can't write my own.

I'll get some written then reply here. BTCT or Bitfunder?  What's your offer?

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
Vycid (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:41:37 PM

Hi there,

I'll get some written then reply here. BTCT or Bitfunder?  What's your offer?

I would be prepared to purchase 25 puts immediately at a price of 0.1BTC, strike of 1.8BTC, and expiration of Sep. 1st. BTCT preferred.

Maybe more later when some bitcoins come in.

TsuyokuNaritai

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:46:50 PM

Interesting. Why are you so bearish on AM?

(Don't worry about dissuading PUT-sellers, the discussion would attract more! Grin)

Vycid (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:47:38 PM

Interesting. Why do you think they're going to fall?

(Don't worry about dissuading PUT-sellers, the discussion would attract more! Grin)

I've done some statistics with the rate of difficulty increase and the anticipated hashrate increase. They're overvalued.

(I DON'T think they're gonna fail, but I think the odds of being below 1.7BTC before September are worth up to a 0.1BTC premium.)

wo0x

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 11:15:57 PM

1st of September is quite an interesting date, indeed. Basically, will AM proof sustainability or not...

What I think:

Your strike is reasonable, but the price too low to even start gambling Smiley
Maybe you find someone to PUT on date for 0.1 price, but not for immediate option.
Vycid (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 11:43:58 PM

1st of September is quite an interesting date, indeed. Basically, will AM proof sustainability or not...

What I think:

Maybe you find someone to PUT on date for 0.1 price, but not for immediate option.

Yeah, I was worried about that. Nobody wants their BTC tied up in options unless the premium is large...

I guess none of the exchanges will let you use your held ASICMiner shares as collateral against options? I'm imagining an arrangement where if ASICMiner starts trading near 1.7, then anyone using their shares to cover in the event of exercise will get a maintenance call.

I sense a business opportunity.  Smiley

In the meantime, that offer stands. I can't beat 0.1BTC per option for the moment. Maybe later I'll consider a higher strike in exchange for a higher price...?

Eric Muyser

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

You can't kill math.

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 03:08:10 AM

What I think:

Yah same thought here. I'd bullish on AM and would happily take some PUT options but I'm not tying up my BTC for months for basically 5%. Maybe 20%, minimum.

@EricMuyser | EricMuyser.com | OTC - "Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality" - Bruce Lee
statdude
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 09:00:07 PM

I've done some statistics with the rate of difficulty increase and the anticipated hashrate increase. They're overvalued.

(I DON'T think they're gonna fail, but I think the odds of being below 1.7BTC before September are worth up to a 0.1BTC premium.)

Such an option is worth about .25 BTC actually. I'd write you a few at that price at the lowest.

Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
bb999

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 01:40:36 AM

Hi there,

In the same vein, I have been wondering for some time now how to increase the volume of options traded on any BTC exchange related to BTC securities.  It seems like a ripe opportunity to generate further interest in the currency, but the options I have offered on BTC-TC regularly go without a bid. 

Any suggestions on how to increase traffic/volume in this area of BTC trading?
TsuyokuNaritai

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 01:51:56 AM

Any suggestions on how to increase traffic/volume in this area of BTC trading?

If you don't want coins kept locked up but you don't mind shares locked up, be able to offer shares as collateral to the exchange against the coins that are promised to the buyer if they exercise the option.

Or, have an option to let the exchange lend the coins out for interest (eg. to coinlenders.com) instead of having them just sit there gathering dust till the option expires.

bb999

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 01:53:14 AM

Such an option is worth about .25 BTC actually. I'd write you a few at that price at the lowest.

It's worth .25 BTC based on what?  That may be a reasonable number but you need to provide some backing not just your opinion stated as if it's fact.
bb999

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 01:58:14 AM

What I think:

Yeah, I was worried about that. Nobody wants their BTC tied up in options unless the premium is large...

I guess none of the exchanges will let you use your held ASICMiner shares as collateral against options? I'm imagining an arrangement where if ASICMiner starts trading near 1.7, then anyone using their shares to cover in the event of exercise will get a maintenance call.

I sense a business opportunity.  Smiley

In the meantime, that offer stands. I can't beat 0.1BTC per option for the moment. Maybe later I'll consider a higher strike in exchange for a higher price...?

The economics of the trade are debatable.  However .1BTC premium on 1.8BTC strike expiring Aug 30 (what is currently available on BTC-TC) is a 5.5% premium for 3 months (22% annualized without compounding) a solid nominal return.

statdude
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:31:51 PM

It's worth .25 BTC based on what?  That may be a reasonable number but you need to provide some backing not just your opinion stated as if it's fact.

Based on black scholes... with 45 day implied volatility of the stock + estimate of .017ish average div.

Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
murfshake

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:03:17 PM

Does anyone have any reading material or sources about the OP's topic that would be relevant to investing in BTC?
statdude
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:11:11 PM

Stock was trading at about 150% volatility before it got stuck at 2.5

hard to quantify now but technicall its now 100%

just using the same option pricing mechanisms as wall st.

Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
bb999

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:23:19 PM

Based on black scholes... with 45 day implied volatility of the stock + estimate of .017ish average div.

Thank you for citing a source, we can debate the usefulness of Black-Scholes separately (implied vs realized volatility for instance) but I appreciate you offering some stat backing
Vycid (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:25:26 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2013, 12:53:38 AM by Vycid

I've only gotten one acceptable offer for options so far, so I'm going to raise the premium a little bit. This is firm: do not bother asking for a higher premium/shorter time period/whatever.

I will immediately purchase ASICMiner puts expiring September 1st, with a strike of 1.8BTC, and a premium of 0.14BTC.

3 BTC limit.

Vycid (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 07:09:16 PM

Hey all,

I'm still buying about 7 more ASICMiner-PT put options.

Strike: 2.3 BTC
Exp: ~90 days
Premium: 0.2 BTC

(again, I am buying puts, you would need to write them)

BTCT please. If you decide to list, make sure to send me a PM.

Cheers,

Vycid

Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:16:32 PM

I've never bought or emitted options so far, but the offer is interesting and I'm considering it.
btct offers 84d (i.e. 12w) options.

However I've made some calculations, and locking 2.3 BTC for a 0.2 premium equals to a weekly gain of 0.01666667, which I think will be lower than the dividend that AM will pay during this period (assuming 0.0290 weekly dividends, that would be 0.01957273 adjusted to what I could buy now with 2.3 BTC), so I could as well buy some AM-PT shares with those coins and have a higher return.

Would you accept either:
 • 84d, 2.3 strike, 0.28 premium
 • 56d, 2.3 strike, 0.16 premium
?

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: