Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:15:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to buy PUT options on ASICMiner  (Read 2636 times)
Vycid (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 02:47:20 AM

I've never bought or emitted options so far, but the offer is interesting and I'm considering it.
btct offers 84d (i.e. 12w) options.

However I've made some calculations, and locking 2.3 BTC for a 0.2 premium equals to a weekly gain of 0.01666667, which I think will be lower than the dividend that AM will pay during this period (assuming 0.0290 weekly dividends, that would be 0.01957273 adjusted to what I could buy now with 2.3 BTC), so I could as well buy some AM-PT shares with those coins and have a higher return.

Would you accept either:
 • 84d, 2.3 strike, 0.28 premium
 • 56d, 2.3 strike, 0.16 premium
?

Sorry, no. 0.2 is already a significant premium increase from where I was selling before (0.14). There are a lot of people who are VERY bullish on ASICMiner and don't seem to mind at all promising to buy cheap shares from me.

84 days @ 0.20 is acceptable though (since there is no way to write options for exactly 90 days on BTCT)

What I WILL consider is buying unsecured puts, but you must be a trusted community member and willing to sell at a discount.

"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
suryc

Activity: 298

Play2Live pre-sale starts on January 25th

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 03:14:59 AM

How do I write puts on BTCT?
I don't see a way to do it. Can someone provide a little guidance?

PLAY
            ▄██████████████▄
          ▄██▀▀██████████████▄
        ▄██▀    ▀██████████████▄
      ▄██▀        ▀██████████████▄
    ▄██▀   ██████▄  ▀██████████████▄
  ▄██▀          ██    ▀██████████████▄
 ███       ▄█████▀      ███████████████
  ▀██▄    ▐██         ▄██████████████▀
    ▀██▄  ▐██████▌  ▄██████████████▀
      ▀██▄        ▄██████████████▀
        ▀██▄    ▄██████████████▀
          ▀██▄▄██████████████▀
            ▀██████████████▀
LIVE
██████
███▀▀▀
███

███
███▄▄▄
██████
██████
▀▀▀███
███

███
▄▄▄███
██████
enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 05:24:31 AM

I will immediately purchase ASICMiner puts expiring September 1st, with a strike of 1.8BTC, and a premium of 0.14BTC.

You can use betsofbitco.in site for that (not affiliated).
Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 07:40:44 AM

Sorry, no. 0.2 is already a significant premium increase from where I was selling before (0.14). There are a lot of people who are VERY bullish on ASICMiner and don't seem to mind at all promising to buy cheap shares from me.
No problem!
However, please take no offence, but I don't understand why I should invest in selling puts when just buying more shares at current price will earn me more dividends...
Am I missing something?

Ok there is a little bit of diversification, but not so much, since after all the security is the same one...

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 07:41:50 AM

How do I write puts on BTCT?
I don't see a way to do it. Can someone provide a little guidance?
You click on the security, you go into the "options" tab, and at the bottom there is a collapsed table "Write Options — Please make sure you know what you're doing before writing options...".

If there isn't it might have to do with, I don't know, 2FA maybe?

Vycid (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 01:28:22 PM

No problem!
However, please take no offence, but I don't understand why I should invest in selling puts when just buying more shares at current price will earn me more dividends...
Am I missing something?

Ok there is a little bit of diversification, but not so much, since after all the security is the same one...

Puts are for people who have bought all they want at current prices but would buy more if the price comes down, and are more than happy to get paid in exchange for promising to do so.

sebastienurbain

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 02:37:13 PM

No problem!
Am I missing something?

Puts are for people who have bought all they want at current prices but would buy more if the price comes down, and are more than happy to get paid in exchange for promising to do so.

I don't get it. Why not just wait until the price goes down and then buy? Wouldn't this be the same?
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:18:32 PM

I would like to buy down, but if I have to keep the strike money locked, I would better invest it now instead...

Vycid (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 10:13:55 PM

No problem!
Am I missing something?

I don't get it. Why not just wait until the price goes down and then buy? Wouldn't this be the same?

No. I pay you for that promise (0.2 BTC).

In other news, this train has left the station. Price is at 3.9 so I'm now asking for a minimum strike of 2.7.

Vycid (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 10:16:09 PM

I would like to buy down, but if I have to keep the strike money locked, I would better invest it now instead...

Considering I'm offering significantly better than the interest rate, you could always borrow money to escrow.

Or if you're a trusted community member we can work something out.

Vycid (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 02:20:04 PM

Update:

(I am BUYING put options: you write them!)

Strike: 3.3 BTC
Expiration: 90 days
Premium: 0.3 BTC

I will honor this is up to a 4.7 BTC/share price level unless I state otherwise. BTCT only.

Vycid

runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2013, 09:10:32 AM

I've never bought or emitted options so far, but the offer is interesting and I'm considering it.
btct offers 84d (i.e. 12w) options.

However I've made some calculations, and locking 2.3 BTC for a 0.2 premium equals to a weekly gain of 0.01666667, which I think will be lower than the dividend that AM will pay during this period (assuming 0.0290 weekly dividends, that would be 0.01957273 adjusted to what I could buy now with 2.3 BTC), so I could as well buy some AM-PT shares with those coins and have a higher return.

Would you accept either:
 • 84d, 2.3 strike, 0.28 premium
 • 56d, 2.3 strike, 0.16 premium
?

This calculation assumes that the share price doesn't fall at all after you've purchased. If you make x in dividends from holding ASICMINER shares for 12 weeks, then you only earn this full amount if the share price doesn't fall. Otherwise the capital loss (buying_price - selling_price) would eat at your profit.

If you think the share price won't fall in the following 12 weeks, you can make the same amount of money right now, instead of over a period of 12 weeks, by offering 12-week put options with a strike price of the current ASICMINER price and a premium of expected_average_dividend*12.

So if you think 0.04 BTC/week is a high average dividend (I think it is), then you should be willing to sell 12-week put options for 0.48 BTC per contract with a strike price of 4.24 (current ASICMINER-PT highest bid).

If you do this you could buy 1 extra ASICMINER share, and increase your profit further, if the share price doesn't go down.

So in essence you'd be getting an instant, locked-in profit in exchange for a lack of profit in case the share price increases.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: