Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:44:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you secure your bitcoins?  (Read 1660 times)
CoinChaos (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 03:13:35 PM

Hello everyone,

I have been doing research on securing bitcoins in wallets and I was wondering what everyone does. I am currently using a few paper wallets. I don't really like it because its a one way street if you want them secure. I was looking at the ledger nano s and was wondering what people thought about it. How many bitcoins can it hold? should I wait for the ledger blue? any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
CoinChaos
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etraderhart

Activity: 46

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 06:14:51 PM

First, you need to understand the different types of wallet. There are a variety, but here are the important ones.

Before that, you need to answer these questions: will you be trading often? Will you be using a mobile device or a PC?
It's important to know what your purpose of storing is. If you plan to just save your coins, then a cold wallet would be suggested, but if you're going to use it to do regular transactions, then a hot wallet is what you should use.

1. Bitcoin Clients
These were the pioneers of Bitcoin storages. BitcoinQt, for example was the very first wallet to be created, and was used by 'Satoshi Nakamoto' hmself.

2. Desktop wallets.
These are downloadable softwares that allows you to store Bitcoins. Very easy to access and use even when you're not connected to the internet.

3. Mobile wallets.
Basically this wallets are used to ease transactions. Security will vary in the type of service you avail from the storage provider.

4. Online wallets.
These are companies that provide storage and security in exchange for a commission when doing transactions. Most online wallets provide exchange services, as well.

5. Hardware wallets.
These are portable devices whose main purpose is to store and/or trade bitcoins.
Dilladupak

Activity: 630
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 06:16:40 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2017, 08:27:02 PM by Dilladupak

Hello everyone,

I have been doing research on securing bitcoins in wallets and I was wondering what everyone does. I am currently using a few paper wallets. I don't really like it because its a one way street if you want them secure. I was looking at the ledger nano s and was wondering what people thought about it. How many bitcoins can it hold? should I wait for the ledger blue? any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
CoinChaos
with we have a lot of my bitcoin I save some in my wallet. and most of my invested in bitcoin for more secure and long term to get butcoin lagi.dan with which I tradingkan for everyday requirement for my family
https://www.ledgerwallet.com/products/ledger-nano-s
it's also great for storing your bitcoin. and all altcoin.
erep

Activity: 2282
Merit: 589

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 06:17:01 PM

Best solution is to buy trezor or ledger nano s and cold storage all your Bitcoins, if that is too costly for you then buy an android device, setup a wallet, take the backup of private keys and all then shut it off. Send all your bitcoins and hold.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
riaruhs09

Activity: 184
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 06:29:26 PM

I also feel confused about it, but maybe for me the most important way to save it is to convert it into fiat and save it in a savings account at the bank.

andrew24p

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 06:33:19 PM

I think the best solution is a hardware wallet just randomly hidden somewhere in a fireproof safe or bag. Maybe your attic, basement, whatever and just leave it there.

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█                                                                                                                         █
█                                                                                                                         █
█          ██     ██       ▄█▄        ██        ██     ▄██████▄    ██████████    ████████    ██████▄                      █
█          ██     ██       ███        ██        ██     ██     ██       ██        ██          ██    ██                     █
█          ██     ██      ██ ██       ███      ███     ██     ██       ██        ██          ██    ██                     █
█          ██     ██     ▄██ ██▄      ████    ████     ██              ██        ██          ██    ██                     █
█          █████████     ██   ██      ██ ██  ██ ██      ▀█████▄        ██        ███████     ██   ▄█▀                     █
█          ██     ██     ██   ██      ██  █▄▄█  ██            ██       ██        ██          █████                        █
█          ██     ██    ▄███████▄     ██  ████  ██     ██     ██       ██        ██          ██   ██                      █
█          ██     ██    ██     ██     ██   ██   ██     ██     ██       ██        ██          ██    ██                     █
█          ██     ██    ██     ██     ██   ██   ██     ▀██████▀        ██        ████████    ██     ██                    █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
M   A   R   K   E   T   P   L  A   C   E  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

The first token offering total buyback
─────❯❯❯ICO Starts : 28th of November 2017❮❮❮─────

❖TWITTER
❖TELEGRAM
❖WHITEPAPER
❖FACEBOOK
❖ANN THREAD
SLACK
Cindy1983

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 06:34:11 PM

The amount of Bitcoin ledger nano s can hold depend on the amount of Bitcoin you have Smiley). If you have 1 BTC it can hold 1 BTC, if you have 1000 BTC it can hold 1000 BTC Cheesy. But for me the price of ledger nano s is a little bit high and if I buy it, the shipping fee will cost more than the price of it so I only use web wallet and off wallet of course with two-authentication factor Cheesy
CoinChaos (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 07:22:57 PM

Thank you everyone for the responses. It looks like the hardware wallet is the only way to have the security and flexibility. I'm happy to hear there is no limit on the amount of coins a wallet can hold. What is the best way to get one in the US? I want to order it from https://www.ledgerwallet.com/, but I can get a better deal and faster on amazon. Is it safe to buy one from amazon?
jak3
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 07:46:28 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank you,
CoinChaos
Ofcourse the wallet can store infinite amount of coins(at least the max amount allowed on the network) if you don't like paper wallets then you can try encrypting your private keys using passwords and making a small maze or chipper so no one can ever try to even find the hints which can refer to your private keys.Or try multisign wallets.
Hach

Activity: 110

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 08:01:14 PM

I'm securing my bitcoins by securing my keys. I saved paper wallets in many copies in safe places. I never keep copies in computer or mobile in case they are stolen.

Bitcoinjheta

Activity: 798
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 08:51:37 PM

I'm securing my bitcoins by securing my keys. I saved paper wallets in many copies in safe places. I never keep copies in computer or mobile in case they are stolen.

The best way to secure your bitcoin is Offline wallet known as a cold storage it provides the highest security saving. This not costly compared to other tool devices. It is not connected to the network with a very good protection against computer vulnerabilities.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 10:30:33 PM

Well, I'm not doing anything special to secure my btc. I keep mostly of my btc in offline wallet, which never been connected to online, desktop or mobile wallet. And offcourse, I'm trying to keep my private keys safely. I have saved it in several places to be guaranteed that if my device will crash, I wouldn't not loose all my btc.
Hodling btc in hardware wallet is a good idea. And on hardware wallet you can keep as many btc as you have or want to keep. Hardware, same like all other wallets doesn't have limit of btc allowed to keep.

CoinChaos (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 10:44:13 PM

Well, I'm not doing anything special to secure my btc. I keep mostly of my btc in offline wallet, which never been connected to online, desktop or mobile wallet. And offcourse, I'm trying to keep my private keys safely. I have saved it in several places to be guaranteed that if my device will crash, I wouldn't not loose all my btc.
Hodling btc in hardware wallet is a good idea. And on hardware wallet you can keep as many btc as you have or want to keep. Hardware, same like all other wallets doesn't have limit of btc allowed to keep.

How do you get the bitcoins transferred without compromising the offline wallet? Do you create a new offline wallet and transfer all your coins-x. X being the amount you are sending to another wallet(maybe a hot wallet). Even then you are compromised in the time you are making the transfer because your wallet that was cold is hot for a moment when you make this transfer. Huh
pat4cryptoreal

Activity: 630
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 10:46:02 PM

No matter where you  store your bitcoin you still need to be extremely careful in order to avoid being hacked. make sure you do not log into your wallet in a public computer or another persons mobile phone. Use google authenticator to ensure notification before any one can gain access to your wallet.
Bolt Brownie

Activity: 700
Merit: 350

Betting Championship betking.io/sports-leaderboard

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 10:50:34 PM

Right now I'm using a normal wallet, Electrum in my case, but I think you are heading the right way. Buying a ledger nano or a trezor are the best options for sure. Not saying Electrum is a bad wallet, but there is always the risk of malware and keyloggers on your PC, so the seed or PK could be at risk. With those hard wallets, you should be completely safe. I need to buy one myself.
ubeng07

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 11:06:01 PM

No matter where you  store your bitcoin you still need to be extremely careful in order to avoid being hacked. make sure you do not log into your wallet in a public computer or another persons mobile phone. Use google authenticator to ensure notification before any one can gain access to your wallet.
Yes exactly what ever or whenever you store your bitcoin the secure of it is in your hand the security of it might be with the owner on how he secure her coin on how he make a lot of security of this coin.
Feri577

Activity: 277

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 11:07:26 PM

I have not done anything special to secure my BTC I have saved most BTC trumpets that are not connected to my wallet online.destop or mobile trying to keep my private key safely. to keep it in some places to be guaranteed that someday my device is no interruption I will not lose my bitcoin.
ibrohim

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 11:13:15 PM

there are many ways to secure wallet but the professional security of wallet usually is not free, we have to pay for it. for example cold storage, it is offline wallet that provides you the highest security saving, or you can buy a ledger nano or a trezor.
hynext

Activity: 350
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 11:14:36 PM

Nothing is impossible to be hack if we are using internet. I suggest you can use hardware wallet to be more secured.
Qiuyue201

Activity: 537

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 11:36:40 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank you,
CoinChaos
Ledger or Trezor should be the best choice for you. You can hold thousands of bitcoin in there as long as you can still try to keep your ledger still safe and never try to do a big fault that has made your trezor or ledger will be broken. Rather than the paper wallet and it seems the hardware wallet quite interesting for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: