Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:29:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SMOS Linux Plug-In & Mine - The simplest mining OS based on Linux  (Read 94533 times)
pumpANDdump

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:42:45 PM

is it possible to set auto reboot when the rig hangs?
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dloganbill

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 03:58:10 PM

What are the differences between SMOS and Litecoin BAMT?  I'm leaning towards BAMT since it seems more transparent and no hidden mining scripts. Are there any advantages worth going with SMOS? I'll be running 6 tri-x 290s.

Its all clean and transparent, if you want to read it, you have all on official web. Dont listening someone else...

I guess we have different ideas of clean and transparent.  If you had a blatantly obvious message at first boot that said something like,

"hey, if you don't mind, I would like to add a script that will mine for 15 minutes every night.  This will help me support development.  Do you Accept?  Yes or No?" 

Instead, you chose to leave any mention of that from your original post and point us to read about your scheme by digging through a lengthy paragraph in the donate section.  You've been getting LOT's of negative feedback on this and still march to the same tune.  As far as lack of transparency, where are the source files on github?

Lastly, I need you or someone to give me some reasons to actually use this OS.  What advantages do you you offer over Litecoin BAMT?

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
gnomegawd

Activity: 134

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 04:03:45 PM

odd but you broke mgpumon totally... i know i have tested all of your versions.  If you make claim to fixes, list the fixes you did.
gnomegawd

Activity: 134

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 04:05:20 PM

What are the differences between SMOS and Litecoin BAMT?  I'm leaning towards BAMT since it seems more transparent and no hidden mining scripts. Are there any advantages worth going with SMOS? I'll be running 6 tri-x 290s.

Its all clean and transparent, if you want to read it, you have all on official web. Dont listening someone else...

I guess we have different ideas of clean and transparent.  If you had a blatantly obvious message at first boot that said something like,

"hey, if you don't mind, I would like to add a script that will mine for 15 minutes every night.  This will help me support development.  Do you Accept?  Yes or No?" 

Instead, you chose to leave any mention of that from your original post and point us to read about your scheme by digging through a lengthy paragraph in the donate section.  You've been getting LOT's of negative feedback on this and still march to the same tune.  As far as lack of transparency, where are the source files on github?

Lastly, I need you or someone to give me some reasons to actually use this OS.  What advantages do you you offer over Litecoin BAMT?

are you serious this guy still stealing power from users via donation? hmmmmmm about to format off the only smos linux running.

anyone else notice this distro kicks the eth0 offline randomly?
BayCoins

Activity: 13

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 05:31:19 PM

Please add this feature  Grin.. This would really make hosting remote rigs which do not have port forwarding much more self sufficient and hands off.
BayCoins

Activity: 13

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 05:37:23 PM

anyone else notice this distro kicks the eth0 offline randomly?

Funny how this seems to be a huge headache for many BAMT and SMOS users yet it remains.. How can you promote a reliable system when Network Manager boots cgminer offline?

The fix is here..

From Pitobread on Reddit..

"remove network manager

apt-get install wicd
apt-get remove network-manager*

That will most likely fix it. Network manager crashes and in turn crashes the computer"
conderus

Activity: 19

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 12:43:25 PM

Hello.

I installed it and have got some problems.

After log in by remote desktop,screen is black,there are no IP adress,infos about GPU-s,SMOS-1 writing is miss and other things,as I say whole screen is black,when I log in to Web monitor,it looks as on screenshot - do not work,but cgminer working fine also I get shares on pool Web monitor,so all work great on this side.

How fix this? I haven't got idea.Sorry for my enaglish best regards.

http://conderus.starkom.eu/foto/ScreenShot006.png
raydenx

Activity: 6

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 03:42:07 PM

hi,
Does anyone else have this problem that SMOS kills cgminer ever ~24h because of smos running out of memory?(8Gb ram, 6GPUs)
Yes I know it changes server each night for the 15min donate mining but it doesn't crash cgminer.
conderus

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 04:22:13 PM

When I added these two lines to my config,Web stats start work but still I have got black screen,but this is no problem.

Code:
"api-listen" : true,
"kernel" : "scrypt",

How can I change password to remote desktop (smosuser),there are only explanation how change "donation" password.
raydenx

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 04:40:51 PM

When I added these two lines to my config,Web stats start work but still I have got black screen,but this is no problem.

Code:
"api-listen" : true,
"kernel" : "scrypt",

How can I change password to remote desktop (smosuser),there are only explanation how change "donation" password.
Talking about SSH access because I didn't know that smos had remote desktop installed?
Anyway if its SSH access then you can change it by using the "passwd" command.
wolfpackmars2

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:13:06 PM

I want to weigh in about the donation.  As someone who has spent time and money putting together a viable turnkey mining OS, 1% is a small fee and probably barely compensates the OP for his time.  I would assume the OP has some experience with Debian to put this together, which is worth money in itself.  The time spent weeding through good and bad information online, investing in hardware which is compatible with the OS (and doesn't have unexpected quirks!) and patching oddball problems that no one would ever even think about...  For those unfamiliar with Linux and uncomfortable with compiling software and chasing down good drivers and SDKs, 1% is a small fee to save yourself the time and trouble.

I would suggest the statement here: http://www.smos-linux.org/donate/ be posted in the original post, otherwise it can come as a surprise to some people, which hurts trust.  If you don't want to donate 1%, use bamt.  If Bamt doesn't work, spend the time trying to make it work if your time isn't worth 1% of your mining power.

Disclaimer: I don't use SMOS and I don't intend to use it.  I just sympathize with the OP, having spent the last 4 weeks working to get a stable Linux OS together.  I would not share what I've learned for free.  Doing so makes it easier for people who haven't devoted their lives to computing, not to mention lowers the value of my mining equipment (ultimately costing me money) as the network hash rate climbs ever faster.  I've wondered why anyone would share something like BAMT or SMOS for free, given that doing so ultimately leads to more people mining, which ultimately leads to lowering the value of current mining equipment, leading me to believe there must be something else on the OS secretly taking at least a small cut of my mining.  Had the OP not said anything (or admitted to it) most people probably wouldn't even know it was happening.

In a few months, I will hopefully feel differently.  Right now, I'm only concerned about whether my mining will cover the cost of my equipment or not.

About the random eth0 disconnects, that is more likely a quirk between Debian and your network chipset.  For me, dealing with these types of issues has caused me the most headache.  Long story short, the easy solution is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033  -- this isn't the "cheapest" solution, but it is the easiest.  You pay one way or another, either with time or money.  SMOS is the easy solution.  It's not the cheapest solution.
M!tch

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:33:50 PM

after spending a lot of time to have trouble with litecoin bamt i started using smos and everything is fine.

for me it's okay to donate 1% but i also think it would be better to make it more transparent.

i'd like to know if the "donation-mining" starts at the same time everyday to know if there's a problem with my pool/rig or i'm just donating if my hashrate is broken.
Demontager

Activity: 60

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 05:30:14 PM

Does SMOS 64 bit exist ?  I wanted to install amdoverdrivectrl to undervolt GPU, but it available for 64bit only.
Now i got SMOS running fine with 2xR9 270 for 1 day. Only i don't understand why system does not load if Xserver disabled, what for you made this mandatory ? I have ssh + webcontrol, DM not needed absolutely.
SirGeekalot

Activity: 156

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 07:50:58 PM

Xserver is required for mining in Linux regardless if you want a GUI or not.

i've got 2x R9 270s running at 460KH/s each solidly on an AMD sempron 145 (64 bit). gimme a shout if you want a hand.

AMD Overdirve doesnt seem to work with our cards, but i've managed to undervolt using VBE7, but you can overclock using SG/CGminer settings.
Demontager

Activity: 60

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 08:39:43 AM

Regarding xServer understood now, thanks. Anyway LXDE draws small resources.
Without any tweaks mine R9 270 running at 480kHs http://simplest-image-hosting.net/png-0-mine
My reason to undervolt is to reduce temperatures and do keep same hashrates.
For VBE7, could someone share stable BIOS for R9 270 Gigabyte card ? Card view http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/150214/gigabyte-r9270-2048-131028.html
ckopobapka

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 10:02:09 PM

There is good thing for this, it's called "cgmon" - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=353436.0
M!tch

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:36:05 PM

How can i install No-ip on this? 

Thanks  and keep the good work  Grin

http://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/installing-the-linux-dynamic-update-client/

could anybody tell me, how many traffic a rig with five r9 280x (3.6mH/s) mining at a autoswitch pool (e.g. wafflepool) uses? will it work properly with 3g or even just edge? which data plan will i need for a month?
santapedofil (OP)

Activity: 201
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:08:13 PM

How can i install No-ip on this? 

Thanks  and keep the good work  Grin

You have video about it:
http://www.smos-linux.org/video/
raydenx

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:24:00 PM
Last edit: February 25, 2014, 06:40:35 PM by raydenx

There must be a backdoor or weakness in SMOS because my cgminer config got changed.... My Guess its the web part that has the weakness because my passwords was not changed and there was online change of cgminer config in syslog.

paulcipher

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:45:15 PM

What logs are worth looking at to debug issues when mining? For example I had a problem with a miner I just put together. It was mining pretty well for about three days then I had to shutdown to reroute some power cables. When I booted back up two of my four GPUs weren't hashing at all and the other two were running at like 30%. In a situation like this where should I start debugging? I know my way around a command line but by no means a linux expert. Any general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
PC
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: