Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:19:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Safety first?  (Read 247 times)
Murloc (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 07:20:10 AM

Hey everyine. I'm using my laptop in various places  and I log on different payment services and wallets from it so it seems to be a good idea to set a strong password so just in case it would be stolen no one could take any information out of it. Can anyone advice me some good software for it? At least something better then the usual passwords in windows.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
onnz423

Activity: 840
Merit: 508

Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 07:34:28 AM

I wouldn't trust windows with services and accounts that are important to you because of all the possible malware.
However if you meant password vault, i can recommend Lastpass because your passwords are synced to their service and you don't have to worry about backups. The password vault of yours is stored encrypted on their servers, so in case of data breach the person won't get access to your passwords in case you actually have a decent password. If you can afford to put some money into your security, you can buy Yubikey 4 for OTP authentication which is really secure. Yubikey uses smartcard so it's pretty much "hacker proof" as you may call it. Alternatively you can use Google Auhtenticator, Authy and so on for 2FA codes. If you wish to try Lastpass, let me know and i'll send you a invite link in PM so we both get 1 month of free premium. The premium version only costs 12$ a year so i guess it's pretty affordable Smiley

▄▄██████▄▄
  ████████████
███▄▄
 ██████████████▀▀▀██▄
████████████████   ▀██▄
████████████████     ▀██
██████████████       ██▌
██████████████        ▐██
██▌▀▀██████▀▀         ▐██
▐██                   ██▌
 ██▄                 ▄██
  ▀██▄             ▄██▀
    ▀██▄▄▄     ▄▄▄██▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

███████████████████████████
████████▀▀       ▀▀████████
█████▀   ▄ ▀███▀ ▄   ▀█████
████  ▄████▄ ▀ ▄████▄  ████
███  ▄ ▀███▀ ▄ ▀███▀ ▄  ███
██  ▄██ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ██▄  ██
██  █▀ ▄█ ███████ █▄ ▀█  ██
██   ▄███▄ █████ ▄███▄   ██
███  ████▀ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████  ███
████  ▀ ▄ ▀█████▀ ▄ ▀  ████
█████▄  ▀▀▄ ███ ▄▀▀  ▄█████
████████▄▄       ▄▄████████

█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
Murloc (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:12:10 AM

The password vault of yours is stored encrypted on their servers, so in case of data breach the person won't get access to your passwords in case you actually have a decent password.
Just curious. What if I make a super strong password, forget it and their servers will be shut down for some reason? On their website they are saying something like    "You can set any kind of passwords without worrying about anything". Also it it possible to set password for example for bitcoin core or it works only with popular online cervices?
Yubikey looks just cool! Definetely gona search for some more information about it and maybe order one Smiley
Anyway thanks for advices!

MarioLuck990

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:14:58 AM

Hey everyine. I'm using my laptop in various places  and I log on different payment services and wallets from it so it seems to be a good idea to set a strong password so just in case it would be stolen no one could take any information out of it. Can anyone advice me some good software for it? At least something better then the usual passwords in windows.

Always use a VPN when you login in public networks, this is what you need first!
Veracrypt, you can encrypt all your data, never loose you password because recovery won't be a choice.
onnz423

Activity: 840
Merit: 508

Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 12:46:05 PM

Just curious. What if I make a super strong password, forget it and their servers will be shut down for some reason? On their website they are saying something like    "You can set any kind of passwords without worrying about anything". Also it it possible to set password for example for bitcoin core or it works only with popular online cervices?

I doubt that. Also since they are backed up by a pretty big company, they would notify you about that for sure. Im not sure, but i think you can recover the account somehow.
Also you can always write a backup of the passwords somewhere, or type a hint incase you forgot sometimes. Also saying that "worrying about anything" is kind of advertisement talk because on technology there are some certain risks involved. Nothing is bullet proof. You can save the password for bitcoin core on the vault yes, however the possible autofill option only works on browsers, so for bitcoin core you'd have to copypaste the passwords into the client. It is possible to save anything on the vault, even some notes if you want to.

▄▄██████▄▄
  ████████████
███▄▄
 ██████████████▀▀▀██▄
████████████████   ▀██▄
████████████████     ▀██
██████████████       ██▌
██████████████        ▐██
██▌▀▀██████▀▀         ▐██
▐██                   ██▌
 ██▄                 ▄██
  ▀██▄             ▄██▀
    ▀██▄▄▄     ▄▄▄██▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

████████▀▀       ▀▀████████
█████▀   ▄ ▀███▀ ▄   ▀█████
████  ▄████▄ ▀ ▄████▄  ████
███  ▄ ▀███▀ ▄ ▀███▀ ▄  ███
██  ▄██ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ██▄  ██
██  █▀ ▄█ ███████ █▄ ▀█  ██
██   ▄███▄ █████ ▄███▄   ██
███  ████▀ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████  ███
████  ▀ ▄ ▀█████▀ ▄ ▀  ████
█████▄  ▀▀▄ ███ ▄▀▀  ▄█████
████████▄▄       ▄▄████████

█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
JanpriX

Activity: 1708
Merit: 606

Buy The F*cking Dip

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 01:22:37 PM

Many people around the net put their trust to several password management software and it appears that they are not having problems with it. But on the other hand, I try to avoid them as I don't trust any software that manages password for someone else. What I would advice to you is to create some password guidelines for yourself only and use it when creating a strong password for your accounts. For example, use series of words that are not related and put them in a sentence that would only make sense to you. This will be very hard at the start but it would payoff in the future use. You also saved yourself some penny as some of those software comes with a price.
13abyknight

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 03:03:06 PM

Your best bet would be to back up all of your passwords offline on a piece of paper and keeping it safe. Make sure passwords are alphanumeric and aren't something too obvious to be guessed. (which belong to combo lists of brute forcers)
Other than this, use an antivirus software like MBAM (free) and conduct frequent full scans of your PC to ensure there is no malware that is keystroking the passwords being entered.
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:54:58 PM

Just what others recommending, I bet saving your passwords on a sheet of paper or offline are much better tho you can put your password online but don't ever give a hint about it or hide the beginning or the last character like if your password is "@041d428e3f3e9a9a1fe17643dcd98648~", then you should stash the "@" and "~" or its either between the two of them. But I still prefer on saving it offline.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: