Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:06:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Friend gives wallet seed to stranger and bitcoins disappear from his wallet  (Read 927 times)
mr.mister (OP)

Activity: 299
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:09:29 PM

A friend who asked for instructions on how to use certain features of his wallet, was apparently tricked into divulging his seed to a stranger, and now his 2.6 btc are missing from the wallet, and so is the stranger. Does he have any recourse?

Bitcoin Cash (BCASH) is NOT the real Bitcoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Squidoogeek

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:12:23 PM

Not likely, unless he can track down the stranger and prove that the stranger stole his bitcoin. Why the hell would anyone give their seed to a complete stranger unless they don't know what the heck they're doing anyway?
Mallingo98

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:14:25 PM

I'd say the chances of him getting anything back is about 0%. It is definitely an expensive learning mistake though...
mr.mister (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:15:11 PM

Not likely, unless he can track down the stranger and prove that the stranger stole his bitcoin. Why the hell would anyone give their seed to a complete stranger unless they don't know what the heck they're doing anyway?

He did not know what the seed was for. The stranger gave him instructions on how to get it from the wallet.

mr.mister (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:17:38 PM

I'd say the chances of him getting anything back is about 0%. It is definitely an expensive learning mistake though...

Should he file a Police report on this? He has not done so yet. Is there a chance the stranger could get nabbed when he goes to cash in at an exchange?

V!cious

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:20:01 PM

How did that person get in touch with your chap? a person who has 2.6 BTC in his wallet should have been more careful the stranger probably ran away with the BTC by now the chances of getting his Bitcoin is close to zero.
KuromaYoichi

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:22:59 PM

Should he file a Police report on this? He has not done so yet. Is there a chance the stranger could get nabbed when he goes to cash in at an exchange?
The bitcoin is gone, he can't get it back. Treat it as an expensive experience and move on. He shouldn't tell anyone about his seed. I don't think police can do anything about it even with the chat log(if there's any), it will just waste your friend's time and more money.

.The DeFi for Bitcoin Platform.            ███   ███
           ███   ███
          ███   ███
         ███   ███
        ███   ███
       ███   ███
      ███   ███
     ███   ███
    ███   ███
   ███   ███
  ███   ███
 ███   ███
███   ███
▄  ▄██████████████████████▄  ▄
 ▀▄ ▀████████████████████▀ ▄▀
  ▀█ ▀████▀ ▄▄            █▀
   ▀█▄ ▀█ ████████████▀ ▄█▀
     ██▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ██
      ███      ▀█▄ ▀ ▄██
       ███▄ ▀█████ ▄███
        ████ ▀██▀ ▄███
         ▀███▄  ▄███▀
          ▀███▄ ▀██▀
            ████▄ ▀
             ████▀
              ▀█▀
SOVRYN███   ███
 ███   ███
  ███   ███
   ███   ███
    ███   ███
     ███   ███
      ███   ███
       ███   ███
        ███   ███
         ███   ███
          ███   ███
           ███   ███
            ███   ███
.300% APY on USDT Deposits.
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
mr.mister (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:23:45 PM

How did that person get in touch with your chap? a person who has 2.6 BTC in his wallet should have been more careful the stranger probably ran away with the BTC by now the chances of getting his Bitcoin is close to zero.

My friend apparently got in touch with the stranger at a bar that is known to have a lot of bitcoiners around.

Mallingo98

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:29:35 PM

It depends on which country. However, it is most likely that the Police will not able to do anything about it. I think I would personally give it a try though.

Considering how much money it is, I would also try and find out who this "stranger" is. It should be possible if they met in person as you described. Perhaps someone at the local bar knows the guy.
mr.mister (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:34:01 PM

It depends on which country. However, it is most likely that the Police will not able to do anything about it. I think I would personally give it a try though.

Considering how much money it is, I would also try and find out who this "stranger" is. It should be possible if they met in person as you described. Perhaps someone at the local bar knows the guy.

The value was over $15,000 my friend is out. He is majorly bummed right now. He is getting ready to call authorities as well as try to i.d. the stranger.

He just told me the bitcoins disappeared from his wallet within minutes of him giving out his wallet seed. He is in the states.

craZyLovE0916

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:54:58 PM

I cannot even begin to describe how accurately the title of this thread describes what happens when you give your wallet seed away to strangers! Cheesy
2girls

Activity: 1002
Merit: 254

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:59:31 PM

A friend who asked for instructions on how to use certain features of his wallet, was apparently tricked into divulging his seed to a stranger, and now his 2.6 btc are missing from the wallet, and so is the stranger. Does he have any recourse?

Well, how dump is your friend. Anyone who has bitcoin should know that seeds are the key of bitcoins( just like the key of the house). Would you ever give your keys to your house to a stranger. Then how can you give bitcoin seed to a stranger. He must be enjoying the free money  Sad

Mallingo98

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 07:01:17 PM

The value was over $15,000 my friend is out. He is majorly bummed right now. He is getting ready to call authorities as well as try to i.d. the stranger.

He just told me the bitcoins disappeared from his wallet within minutes of him giving out his wallet seed. He is in the states.

I totally understand his frustration... I wish him the best of luck with the police report and finding the guy who did this.
marjoree

Activity: 193

Presale is live!

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 07:02:31 PM

That would be so hard tracking him down since he is a Stranger! No name, nothing. Devastation is all I can see from the part of the person who gave his seed imaging Ive lost my bitcoin which I worked hard for

Frank0209

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 07:16:55 PM

If Bitcoin is legalized in your country you should go to the nearest police station to report about this but if it's not I think your friend should forget his 2.6 BTC cause there are no change to get it back. You and your friend should remember that wallet Sheet and Privatekey are two thing you should keep safe cause if anyone know these two thing they can easily steal your Bitcoin in your wallet.
asmythirl

Activity: 23

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 07:21:22 PM

Would your friend also give a stranger his fiat wallet with $10000 in it and then wonder if he will get it back?
mr.mister (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 07:23:51 PM

Would your friend also give a stranger his fiat wallet with $10000 in it and then wonder if he will get it back?

My friend is obviously an idiot, but I am waiting for the pain to subside a bit before I tell him.

Don Pedro Dinero
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1520

The first decentralized crypto betting platform

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2017, 07:26:14 PM

The story sounds quite difficult to believe for me, and I learned a long time ago that you shouldn’t believe everything you read in a forum. However, that there are some possibilities that that could have happened, whether to your friend or someone else.

What I don’t get is: did your friend go to the bar with the seeds written on a piece of paper? Always keep your money away from strangers. The fewer people know that you have money, the better, even acquittances.

Yes, I was thinking something like that. Not the fiat wallet but the password and the coordinates card or other security feature.

soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 07:28:55 PM

The lesson is expensive but at least it is clear. However, it is repeated very regularly, and above all it makes sense... But you should NEVER give away your private key or even your seed. As far as his chances of recovering his bitcoins are concerned, they are zero. This is one of the interests of the blockchain...
SM23031997

Activity: 1092
Merit: 582

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 07:38:23 PM

The lesson is expensive but at least it is clear. However, it is repeated very regularly, and above all it makes sense... But you should NEVER give away your private key or even your seed. As far as his chances of recovering his bitcoins are concerned, they are zero. This is one of the interests of the blockchain...
It's similar like I gave my bank details to a stranger and money gone after few minutes. I know your friend is tricked and thousand people are tricked every day. Hope your friend able to Identify the guy who was talking to him and able to prove he was the guy talking to me and stole all my money.

Your friend should go for all the possible ways to Identify him as he personally met him and this is quite rare, maybe we are able to find much more lost funds with the help of that guy.
Please keep us updated with the details I want to see the end of that scammer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: