Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:52:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do run a Bitcoin Core FULL NODE Now!  (Read 8479 times)
Bestcoin-fan (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 03:04:06 PM

It's not enough to run a full node in some raspberry pi that you will never use. You should use it to transact too, so it becomes an economic node and you are in charge of your money 100%, knowing what you are doing. The problem is keeping your bitcoins safe.. which is why im asking what is the best operating system to run a full node that is also used as a wallet:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2332405.msg23830612
please help.

You may point your lightweight wallet to connect to your own full node.
Personally, I signed transactions in my electrum cold wallet (I run it on always offline system that starts from a flash card, the OS used doesn't actually matter much, most important it could never go online), then I just imported the transaction into my electrum read-only wallet to just send the previously signed transaction

Donate BTC: 1EeAXetny8pdoAZ4gyhDwnoMUxoTNGyKSz

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 03:07:06 PM

It's not enough to run a full node in some raspberry pi that you will never use. You should use it to transact too, so it becomes an economic node and you are in charge of your money 100%, knowing what you are doing. The problem is keeping your bitcoins safe.. which is why im asking what is the best operating system to run a full node that is also used as a wallet:

please help.

Linux of course.
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 03:09:52 PM

please help.

Personally, I signed transactions in my electrum cold wallet (I run it on always offline system that starts from a flash card, the OS used doesn't actually matter much, most important it could never go online), then I just imported the transaction into my electrum read-only wallet to just send the previously signed transaction

But Electrum in an SPV wallet, how does this work exactly? and where does your full node enter the picture on that setup? you just said you use electrum cold wallet then electrum read only wallet to transact. So wheres your full node there??

please help.

Linux of course.

What distro? and what do you think about OpenBSD?
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 03:10:04 PM

As I understand it, according to the original plan, ALL of the wallets were supposed to be full nodes, so naturally there was not provided any reward only for that. Moreover! All of the nodes (wallets) were supposed to be MINERS as well! And as miners they would have gained the reward! .....

That does not sound like what Satoshi wrote. At all.

Agreed. Did this guy even read the white paper? Lmao. Satoshi wrote a whole chapter on how merkle roots should be implemented to help streamline the system for average users.

He then specifically says, that if you are a business etc. and SHOULD NEED extra security, it would be better to run a full node.

Do your research bro.

OK, I shouldn't have used the words "were sopposed to be", but I'm sure Satoshi, knowing the actual situation today, would support me in what I said  earlier :

Anyway, every smart and responsible Bitcoin holder, fan and enthusiast should:

1. Run his/her own full (maybe pruned) node.

2. Even much better if he is also a miner (now also signaling NO2x).
http://bitcoin.org/en/bitcoin-paper
ScripterRon

Activity: 136
Merit: 120

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 03:11:51 PM

please help.

Linux of course.
I think a good choice is Ubuntu (which is derived from Debian).  This is what I run on my VPS and it is very easy to maintain and upgrade (I just upgraded to 17.10).  My SPV desktop wallet (Windows 10) connects to just my VPS node, so I know that wallet transactions have been verified.
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 04:22:46 PM

please help.

Linux of course.
I think a good choice is Ubuntu (which is derived from Debian).  This is what I run on my VPS and it is very easy to maintain and upgrade (I just upgraded to 17.10).  My SPV desktop wallet (Windows 10) connects to just my VPS node, so I know that wallet transactions have been verified.

So would you consider your Windows 10 desktop wallet (I guess it's Electrum?)? If it's in Windows 10, you are still expose to Windows 10's viruses and so on, not to mention which is closed source, with in-built spying stuff etc. Why would you consider this safe even if it connects to a node that is on Linux? Also can you really trust Canonical Ltd? Richard Stallman called Ubuntu "spyware" at some point.
Bestcoin-fan (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 04:45:44 PM

please help.

But Electrum in an SPV wallet, how does this work exactly? and where does your full node enter the picture on that setup? you just said you use electrum cold wallet then electrum read only wallet to transact. So wheres your full node there??

Last time I sent some bitcoins (on 0.37 seems to me, which were actually stolen by a scammer fake shop)  just from mobile lightweight wallet. I didn't use the cold storage scheme then. I didn't think yet honestly how to set up the electrum to connect to a specific Bitcoin Core wallet (mine). When I try I think I'll find a solution (I have no time now, tomorrow I go for the first time to my new job, I have to concentrate deeply on that from now on

Donate BTC: 1EeAXetny8pdoAZ4gyhDwnoMUxoTNGyKSz
jnano

Activity: 301
Merit: 74

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 06:06:36 PM

2. Even much better if he is also a miner (now also signaling NO2x).
Could be nice if it were possible, but nowadays it doesn't make much sense if you don't have special hardware.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 06:44:09 PM

please help.

Linux of course.

So would you consider your Windows 10 desktop wallet (I guess it's Electrum?)? If it's in Windows 10, you are still expose to Windows 10's viruses and so on, not to mention which is closed source, with in-built spying stuff etc. Why would you consider this safe even if it connects to a node that is on Linux? Also can you really trust Canonical Ltd? Richard Stallman called Ubuntu "spyware" at some point.
Debian is considered potentially much more secure, but if you have no experience with Linux, Ubuntu is much closer to the ideal than anything Windows.

The remainder of the chatter above such as running one thing on Windows or PI and hooking it to the Linux machine is meaningless complexity.

You asked what was the best OS to run Core on "which was also a wallet."

Snub

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:36:32 PM

As I promised, I have tryed to launch a node on Raspberry pi zero, that was not a very good idea at all))
soy39

Activity: 82
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:02:19 PM

I'm also curious about the Nov. 16 fork.  I run two copies of Bitcoin-QT and one is a full node.  I see Coinbase is going to be calling the chain with the highest difficulty Bitcoin.  So, if one needs or wants to change to 2x after the fork how would one convert?  Thinking each of my Bitcoin-Qt's to run a different chain.

soy39
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:11:20 PM

I'm also curious about the Nov. 16 fork.  I run two copies of Bitcoin-QT and one is a full node.  I see Coinbase is going to be calling the chain with the highest difficulty Bitcoin.  So, if one needs or wants to change to 2x after the fork how would one convert?  Thinking each of my Bitcoin-Qt's to run a different chain.

soy39
There is a very simple safe answer which is "Do Nothing and Wait."

Can't go wrong this way. Think about it. A crypto coin, Bitcoin 1x - 2x - cash whatever, needs wallet support. Programmers change programs to make and allow that.

Yes there are ways to do it earlier just as there are ways to post transactions to the blockchain without going through a wallet.
soy39

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 10:02:44 PM

I understand.  Besides I've no mining involved with the blockchains I maintain.  I do however mine with pools when it's cool enough and that's off and on now.  

If the difficulty proves 2x is the Coinbase choice as Bitcoin, failing to have the higher difficulty will see it called Bitcoin2x there, if 2X, will it require any change to my miners other than where they're pointed at?  Could I have one blockchain as a primary and the other as a secondary?  Work is dumped when one updates choices so why not if the machine can do either or?
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 01:34:09 AM

I understand.  Besides I've no mining involved with the blockchains I maintain.  I do however mine with pools when it's cool enough and that's off and on now.  

If the difficulty proves 2x is the Coinbase choice as Bitcoin, failing to have the higher difficulty will see it called Bitcoin2x there, if 2X, will it require any change to my miners other than where they're pointed at?  Could I have one blockchain as a primary and the other as a secondary?  Work is dumped when one updates choices so why not if the machine can do either or?

You're correct, of course....almost everybody mines with pools, which means pieces of work are sent you you, and your ASICs run a bunch of calculations.

I imagine that means the pool operator's software examines incoming transactions, rejects some for wrong chain, insufficient fee, whatever, accepts others and sends them to the pool members.

Given that, hard to see how a miner could do two chains, except with separate hardware with separate pools.
soy39

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 03:32:09 AM

hard to see how a miner could do two chains, except with separate hardware with separate pools.

So, the hardware for each of the forked Bitcoin chain would be different?

What I had considered is like what I do with two pools currently.  I change the pool address, login and password, mash Save and Apply and Bob's your Uncle you're on the other pool.  But if 2x will require different hardware, e.g. Bitcoin Cash, then it wouldn't work.

I maintain two blockchains but my mining is with pools and don't bother with my blockchains except as a destination for payouts. 
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 01:18:02 PM

hard to see how a miner could do two chains, except with separate hardware with separate pools.

What I had considered is like what I do with two pools currently.  I change the pool address, login and password, mash Save and Apply and Bob's your Uncle you're on the other pool.  But if 2x will require different hardware, e.g. Bitcoin Cash, then it wouldn't work.

I maintain two blockchains but my mining is with pools and don't bother with my blockchains except as a destination for payouts. 

If you wanted to do two at the same time, you'd need two computers each with it's group of ASIC miners.

lf one of the forked products had a different mining algorithm, like Bitcoin Gold, obviously that's a different miner.
ScripterRon

Activity: 136
Merit: 120

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 02:08:15 PM

please help.

Linux of course.

I wrote my own wallet and I trust it Smiley

I doubt that Ubuntu has 'spyware'.  And even if it does, there isn't much to spy on in my VPS ...
TechPriest

Activity: 377
Merit: 282

Finis coronat opus

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 02:26:48 PM

As I understand it, according to the original plan, ALL of the wallets were supposed to be full nodes, so naturally there was not provided any reward only for that. Moreover! All of the nodes (wallets) were supposed to be MINERS as well! And as miners they would have gained the reward! .....

That does not sound like what Satoshi wrote. At all.

Do you think so? Please, read Bitcoin whitepaper more attentively. Here is it:

https://github.com/trottier/original-bitcoin/blob/92ee8d9a994391d148733da77e2bbc2f4acc43cd/src/main.h#L795
// Nodes collect new transactions into a block, hash them into a hash tree,
// and scan through nonce values to make the block's hash satisfy proof-of-work
// requirements.  When they solve the proof-of-work, they broadcast the block
// to everyone and the block is added to the block chain.  The first transaction
// in the block is a special one that creates a new coin owned by the creator
// of the block.

In science we trust!
soy39

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 02:57:04 PM

If you wanted to do two at the same time, you'd need two computers each with it's group of ASIC miners.

lf one of the forked products had a different mining algorithm, like Bitcoin Gold, obviously that's a different miner.
[/quot

Will running a full node will have an effect on difficulty?  Or will the difficulty only be raised or raised more slowly by the number of miners working the chain in pools or solo mining?  e.g. the number of bitcoin blockchains that are up and current doesn't in themselves effect the difficulty and therefore doesn't change the probability of one chain or the other having the higher difficulty and getting the Coinbase nod?
soy39

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 03:20:24 PM

If a pool goes to 2x, will my Block Erupter or Jalapeno be able to mine satoshi on that pool?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: