Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:56:45 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about Bitcoin ATMs?  (Read 1315 times)
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1401
Merit: 1008

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2017, 10:31:55 AM

Have you ever used one?

No, I never used one yet, but I would like to, more than one time i would used it if i had one of them near me.

Is there one nearby where you live?

Some days ago one of mine was asking me this question, if I had had a cashier I would have used it, I think that there are many people with the same problem, there is not enough ATMs at the moment, I'm pretty sure that if people have ATMs near them they will use it more often.

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
cioloxl

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 10:34:12 AM

I used one when traveling because I knew about it and just wanted to try it.
I already knew about the astoundingly high fees and for that reason I would never use it again. The fees are ridiculous, so I just used it for the experience, which wasn't bad.

Yet there aren't many people who know about Bitcoin and they need to cover their expenses somehow, it's not like they can do anything else.
Otherwise I agree with the idea and I find Bitcoin ATMs very convenient, but as I said they should have reasonable fees. The one I used was around 15-20%.

The machine itself and the maintenance are quite costly. Add the fact that usage is rather low, those operating these machines need to cover their costs somehow and make their investment profitable. That being said, I'm not ok with 15-20% fee. That's outrageous. The only thing that can greatly lower fees is adoption on a larger scale.
Fundalini

Activity: 644
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 10:49:08 AM

There are only 4 bitcoin ATM's on our country and most of the time, they are offline. I wonder how a machine seldom used can get so used up, talk about inefficient. Also, as said by the other, fees are high and is almost used only for decoration as not many bitcoin users utilize its services. IMO, bitcoin ATM's although not wrong, the idea doesn't feel quite right with me since in the first place ATM's are used for fiat withdrawals--even though fiat and bitcoin are completely different. 
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 10:56:43 AM

A long time ago I was in the Cryptoanarchy Institute in Prague.  They have a cafe that accepts only BTC, some meeting rooms where a lot of edgy groups like Anonymous meet on problems like net neutrality, and of course an ATM to help people get involved.

It's useful to help people get interested and it's a very convenient way of getting BTC.  There are usually very high fees, but to just walk up to there and deposit some cash it's considered acceptable.

They're very good for criminals as well, since all you have to deposit is cash (or BTC) and it doesn't involve verifying your identity.  As well as keeping the source of your BTC anonymous, it also means that there's no limits to the amount you can deposit and withdraw from the ATM.  If you're someone who buys drugs or other illegal goods on a regular basis, or you just need privacy for other reasons, it's ideal.

I suppose what they're best for though is the companies that create them, with the fees that they have.
Cacaparg

Activity: 835
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:06:01 AM

Why not it is convinient and easy and also it is a one step to bitcoin populrity. Also this weekend i used first time online exchanger from btc to fiat. It took me 5 minutes- i was pleasent surprised.
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:10:46 AM

Have you ever used one? What were the fees and the experience like, and would you use one again? Is there one nearby where you live?

Never used any bitcoin atm before since there is no bitcoin atm here in our country.  If ever there would be a bitcoin atm here in our country, it will raise awareness to other people who never heard of bitcoins before.  I will glad to try withdrawing or buying bitcoins to that machine since I want to be part and to know how to do transactions with bitcoin atm.  In any case and as of now, wallets that I have been using for the past two years is great.  Since it have a lot of features.
flag39

Activity: 364
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:12:05 AM

Bitcoin ATMs are part of easy access development. The problem is that to justify using the service you should have some hundreds of USD worth of BTC or you want to buy some hundreds of USD worth of BTC
CisColtz

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:12:34 AM

I used the first bitcoin ATM back in 2014 and what to say ? they are a great thing in some countries like mine and I like it much more to withdraw on a BTC ATM instead of an exchange. I once saw a europe map with bitcoin ATMS and there are over 20 atms in hole europe maybe now are more , I don't know.
Palider

Activity: 1273
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:16:40 AM

I dont have any expirience in bitcoin atms because banks dont recognize bitcoin yet because or country has lot of problems thats why government dont give attention to bitcoin.
Asmonist

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:31:22 AM

Have you ever used one? What were the fees and the experience like, and would you use one again? Is there one nearby where you live?

I haven't use it yet. But if that would happen in our country it will be so helpful. We can easily access or convert our bitcoins. I believe it will happen soon!

moamin77

Activity: 310
Merit: 102

JACS.tech

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:43:09 AM

No & No as I live in a country where BTC isn't yet friendly but I look forward to using BTMs when I travel to one of these countries where they exist

fishbonez11

Activity: 322
Merit: 116

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:26:56 PM

Never have I used, and never have I seen bitcoin ATMs. There is none in my country. Though I think it could be cool, it defeats the purpose of bitcoin being digital.
Hachijuusan

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:40:36 PM

I have used one for transfer EUR to BTC and it was nice, but expensive.
Would be interesting if there is a "Home"-Currency shown if change back to Cash.
Thinking about buying BTC in austria in a cheap way and then pick up YEN at an ATM in Tokyo next year.
Have to check the prices and compare with currency exchange at local dealer.
Crypdon

Activity: 616
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:42:50 PM

Haven't used it yet, but i can see the convenience of using one. When BTC becomes mainstream then i'm sure they will be on all the major high streets.
cryptoid2017

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:50:40 PM

Very good idea. Quick, simple, anonymous (at least for small amounts). However, can be pretty expensive, therefore always check the fee very carefully.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
eann014

Activity: 1078
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:50:52 PM

nope, there is no atm bitcoin here. If there is, it is good if there is no fee at all. Especially when we use what btc wallet we are using and they are offering atm. It is good if there is no fee. Fee for an atm is quite okay, but everytime we want to cash out maybe much better if there is no fee.  So many users will use that btc wallet for them to have easy transaction for cash out.
dasdo

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:54:44 PM

In my city there is still no bitcoin of ATMs. They are just starting to appear in the country. But personally, I would not use them in the near future. This technique is new and modern, and therefore still far from perfect. Perhaps we should wait a year or two.
SmallBit

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 04:03:02 PM

There are only a few of them and they are charging at least 10% fee or more... It's quite high, so I'm not surprised that the usage is low. You can't rely on them, because they're offline randomly. If the mass adoption of bitcoin happens, and paying by smartphones will be the part of the everyday routine, maybe the ATMs will be more popular
PhucS

Activity: 742
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 04:09:57 PM

I have heard about ATM Bitcoin, this is quite interesting. In my country there are also but I have not been directly used because it is only placed in a limited number of places. As far as I know, these machines do not actually extract the Bitcoin, but it just changes the Bitcoin you have in your local currency to use. I think these machines are probably for promoting, introducing Bitcoin to everyone. There will be many people who are excited and curious about Bitcoin ATMs, which makes Bitcoin more and more popular. I think so  Grin
denulh

Activity: 300
Merit: 10

Borderless for People, Frictionless for Banks

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 04:11:47 PM

i used to think if we have an bitcoin ATM, that would be very great, now there are many bitcoin ATMs on the world, however, very little people willing to use it because they think it is not secure, and bitcoin ATMs charge fees so high that made people dont want to used it, i hope there will be more bitcoin ATM around the world, making bitcoin ATM more popular to people.

T r a x i o n                                                            TRADE AND EARN DURING PRE-ICO
TRANSITIONS YOU TO A CRYPTO-READY SOCIETY       Pre-Sale starts April 15, 2018
Github     Telegram     Medium     Facebook     Twitter     Reddit     Youtube
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: