Author Topic: dot.tk  (Read 1820 times)
smeagol (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:55:32 PM

DOT.TK SPYWARE ALERT
I visited dot.tk on my company computer and it detected spyware.  Not sure if real or not but be careful!  Smiley
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:57:32 PM

Can you be more specific? That's a legitimate registrar.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:01:10 PM

probably a competitor such as subdomain.com or co.nf, co.nr etc. i just visited dot tk and nothing from chrome, Avast Internet Security or Malware Bytes Pro. Its very possible however that a hacker injected malicious code into the form by some groundbreaking sql injection, but if thats the case it was obviously caught and contained by dot. tk

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:02:55 PM

This

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
neurobox

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

Getting too old for all this.

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:06:06 PM

It's a legit registrar, but it's subdomains are frequently abused for spyware. WOT and the likes have cordoned off the whole .tk domain as an elevated risk of a threat, which seems more lazy than fair.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:08:15 PM

This

in his defense although dot tk has cleaned up their act, in the past they were notorious for allowing scam customers. there are still many dot tk paid domains that point directly to spyware and banner farms. they dont terminate paid accounts for abuse of TOS. that being said the claims of dot.tk(their oficial registrar site) being infected with malware i didn't get nothing when i went their in chrome. normally chrome will alert followed by Avast Int Security a few seconds later. usually a scam with Malware Bytes Pro reveals details about the mode of delivery. i've found that 99 percent of the time it is cross site scripting, meaning a page has been compromised by spyware

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 08:09:36 PM

I don't know. I used dot.tk domain services and I have never had any malware problems. It's like saying that a domain registrar is full of malware because he registered a .com domain that has a infected website associated with it.

neurobox

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:34:54 PM

.tk is a bit different than other TLDs in that the one registrar has a lock on the market, and gives out domains without strong traceability. Try getting a .ca anonymously, then tell me which TLD a script kiddie would try first.
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:36:06 PM

All this is true, but the OP specifically said dot.tk, and I'd be rather surprised to see the registrar itself distributing malware.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 08:38:17 PM

All this is true, but the OP specifically said dot.tk, and I'd be rather surprised to see the registrar itself distributing malware.
Yeah, that's highly unlikely.

neurobox

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:29:55 PM

Yep, that's my point. The OP's company computer was probably running something that works indiscriminately, as I've seen done. That said, WOT does now make the distinction, and dot.tk itself checks out as "Trustworthy."

The other possibility is that you are running malware that is hosts-redirecting your attempt to access dot.tk, redirecting to a spoof server that does have malware on it... do you get 77.243.130.175 when you ping dot.tk?
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:30:19 AM

Yep, that's my point. The OP's company computer was probably running something that works indiscriminately, as I've seen done. That said, WOT does now make the distinction, and dot.tk itself checks out as "Trustworthy."

The other possibility is that you are running malware that is hosts-redirecting your attempt to access dot.tk, redirecting to a spoof server that does have malware on it... do you get 77.243.130.175 when you ping dot.tk?

The second is what I'd think it is -- if the issue is with visiting dot.tk itself.

They used to be a lot worse than they are now; while still used by a lot of scammers/hackers, they're not nearly as bad.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 08:01:38 AM

The second is what I'd think it is -- if the issue is with visiting dot.tk itself.

They used to be a lot worse than they are now; while still used by a lot of scammers/hackers, they're not nearly as bad.
I don't think so. It seems to me that it has the same, low scam rate

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 08:05:16 AM

It's possible that the ratio is the same and that it's the fact that there's so many more people using TK's now that it doesn't "feel" the same. Kind of like if there's 1:100 rate of crime, you will feel that there's a lot more criminals when there's 100k people vs 1k, when really it's the same.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 09:02:26 AM

It's possible that the ratio is the same and that it's the fact that there's so many more people using TK's now that it doesn't "feel" the same. Kind of like if there's 1:100 rate of crime, you will feel that there's a lot more criminals when there's 100k people vs 1k, when really it's the same.
Well at least I'm trying to contribute by showing tyat not every .tk website is a scam/malware-overrun website.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 09:08:39 AM

Well at least I'm trying to contribute by showing tyat not every .tk website is a scam/malware-overrun website.

I get ya. I actually started up a few tk's on my own after doing research on them again. And I'm not a scammer/malware abuser, :p.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 09:12:37 AM

I get ya. I actually started up a few tk's on my own after doing research on them again. And I'm not a scammer/malware abuser, :p.
As moth of my sites are experiments which don't earn enough to be able to sustain even a .com domain, I use a free .tk domain which allows me to experiment freely without worrying that it'll be suspended.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 09:18:38 AM

As moth of my sites are experiments which don't earn enough to be able to sustain even a .com domain, I use a free .tk domain which allows me to experiment freely without worrying that it'll be suspended.

True, that's another good reason to use them, Smiley. Also, the benefit of .com over .tk is solely about SEO. Other than that there are no differences. And that only matters because .tk is a country-based domain and .com is universal.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 09:28:55 AM

True, that's another good reason to use them, Smiley. Also, the benefit of .com over .tk is solely about SEO. Other than that there are no differences. And that only matters because .tk is a country-based domain and .com is universal.
Aoso .tk gives more privacy. In a .com domain, you have to pay for whois protection while .tk gives it for free. That might be a negative point of the domain too.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 09:29:56 AM

Aoso .tk gives moreprivacy. In a .com domain, you have to pay for whois protection while .tk gives it for free. That might be a negative of the domain too.

Actually, a lot of registrars give free privacy. The problem is if you're running an actual business (or really anything where you want authority) you need to leave it public as transparency (stores, authority blogs, etc.).

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: