Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:35:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is Bitcoin an Asset, Currency or Both?
Asset - 4 (25%)
Currency - 3 (18.8%)
Both - 9 (56.3%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin an Asset or Currency?  (Read 685 times)
longminh123

Activity: 432
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 12:43:29 PM

Bitcoin is still considered currency as it can be used to trade commodities and this is often the case in Japan as it was the first country to accept Bitcoin. I think if Bitcoin is listed on stock exchanges, there will be a lot of possibility to compete directly with USD.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
muffinsboat

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 12:44:45 PM

NYU's 'Dean of Valuations' Says Bitcoin Is a Currency, Not an Asset
https://www.coindesk.com/nyus-dean-of-valuations-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency-not-an-asset/

I’ve watched Aswath many times on CNBC over several years. I’ve used his spreadsheets to value companies and stocks. He seems to be the go-to guy to value specific companies on CNBC.

I agree that you cannot value Bitcoin, but only price it and trade it.  However, I disagree with him that it’s not an asset.  I think Bitcoin can be both a currency and asset.  In fact, it is more of an asset than currency right now.  I disagree with him that an asset has to “generate cash flow”.  Gold does not generate cash flow.

What does the community think?  Is Bitcoin an asset, currency or both?
I feel that it's both.  It could go up or down a lot more than a currency, which makes it an asset, but it's also a currency as it's used as money.
Wagako

Activity: 249

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 12:57:03 PM

Actually both, you can collect coins as an asset and you can use it for local or online shopping or a payment for services and even send it to someone the same with cash remittance.
Yes. Bitcoin is a currency that we can use to shop online and it is really called most as a virtual currency. Many of us use bitcoin as an asset because bitcoin price is now increasing and i think it is the time for the people to invest.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
dewi91

Activity: 490

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 02:19:26 PM

both.. bitcoin as an asset and currency.. if we look at the bitcoin price more increase day by day, we can saving bitcoin as an asset. and bitcoin can use as a payment methode, right now some online shop accept bitcoin as a payment, and bitcoin can use in some countries who accept bitcoin..
ruthbabe

Activity: 966
Merit: 275

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 05:06:51 PM

To me, I believed it's an asset and also a currency. However, after reading the following articles, I began to doubt my belief.  Roll Eyes

Bitcoin Is An Asset, Not A Currency

Bitcoin - An Asset Or Currency?

MetalGear

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 05:22:44 PM

Actually both, you can collect coins as an asset and you can use it for local or online shopping or a payment for services and even send it to someone the same with cash remittance.
Indeed. It is both because you can use it as an asset and as an currency. I prefer to use it as currency where I can exchange it in valuable things. In addition to that, you can also use it as investment and we all know that it is good for long term investment and its because of the price.
Passive Coin

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

Passive Coin - low supply coin with backing fund!

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2017, 05:34:23 PM

When people send BTC to pay for something or move money, it's currency.
When I see people save already in BTC long-term (even for retirement) it's asset.

So, this way, we know Bitcoin is both and even more.
It's also grand crypto-fund, you can exchange all altcoins for BTC and vice-versa.
There is not bigger foreign exchange office around the World that could compete with Bitcoin.

◄ Passive Coin Project Website ►
 ◄ Low 500K Supply Coin with Growing & Diversified Backing Fund! ►
●  Passive Coin Bitcointalk Topic  ●  Buy & Sell Passive Coin  ●  Passive Coin Twitter  ●  Passive Coin Facebook  ●
mifanmuzny

Activity: 294
Merit: 16

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 05:51:33 PM

Its like kind of both actually little bit of both in my opinion....
Shreek

Activity: 476
Merit: 112

IDENA.IO - Proof-Of-Person Blockchain

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 10:08:09 PM

I see from the development of bitcoin to date whose value has reached more $ 7500, that bitcoin is an asset and currency. why asset? because now many people start to trust bitcoin for investment and take advantage of bitcoin as assets of their property.
why the currency? because many people who use bitcoin to meet their wants and needs, ranging from paying electricity, shoping, and others.

Dexion

Activity: 812
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 10:29:51 PM

I would argue that bitcoin is a currency, not an asset. we see in some countries, bitcoin has been used as currency. maybe in the future also the world will make bitcoin as the only currency. to be called an asset, I think there are still many people who do not understand the bitcoin, so to make future assets is still small possibilities.

DewiKirana

Activity: 378
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2017, 10:45:21 PM

To me, bitcoin serves both, as money and assets. Because I can buy something using bitcoin and can hold bitcoin until the highest price as an asset.
Eugenar

Activity: 1274
Merit: 278

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 10:48:29 PM

https://www.coindesk.com/nyus-dean-of-valuations-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency-not-an-asset/

I’ve watched Aswath many times on CNBC over several years. I’ve used his spreadsheets to value companies and stocks. He seems to be the go-to guy to value specific companies on CNBC.

I agree that you cannot value Bitcoin, but only price it and trade it.  However, I disagree with him that it’s not an asset.  I think Bitcoin can be both a currency and asset.  In fact, it is more of an asset than currency right now.  I disagree with him that an asset has to “generate cash flow”.  Gold does not generate cash flow.

I believe that it is both an asset and a currency but is really a currency, it is just that its market value is continuously increasing unlike any other currency which made it an asset. Users and investors are earning huge profit because of the increase of its value. It is only an asset to those who live in countries where it is not yet legal. And i think this simply explains, that the function of Bitcoin varies on the country you're at.
soham

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 10:53:25 PM

I too agree with your statement here. Bitcoin can serve both purposes with equal efficiency. However, with the rising price of bitcoin around the world, I have chosen bitcoin as an investment asset over the transaction medium. Because the growth of bitcoin has simply outrun any other asset around the world. No other conventional investment can fetch that much return what bitcoin can get us. So even if bitcoin can facilitate transaction over the network, it looks brighter as an investment asset to me.

▄████▄       
██████       
▀████▀       
▀██████      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
▄▄█████  ▄██████████████████▄
▄██████▀██  ████████████████████
▄█████▀    ▀  ████████████████████
▄█████▀         ███ ████████████ ███
██████▀          ███ ████████████ ███
███████           ███ ████████████ ███

▄████▄                  ███████   
██████                 ▄██████     
▀████▀                ▄█████▀     
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄    ▄█████▀       
▄██████████████████▄  ██▄ █████▀         
████████████████████  ██████▀▀           
████████████████████  ██████▄             
███ ████████████ ███                     
███ ████████████ ███                     
███ ████████████ ███                       
  [    |    ████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███            ▀████████
███  ███████  ▄  ▀██████
███           ██▄  ▀████
███  ███████  ████▄  ███
███                  ███
███  ██████████████  ███
███                  ███
███  ██████████████  ███
███                  ███
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
  ] 
FACEBOOK  )   (  TWITTER  )
  SUBSCRIBE NOW!!! 
INSTAGRAM  )  (  LINKEDIN  )
timikulit

Activity: 196
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:20:46 PM

of course it is both a currency and an asset,
but it is growing more as an asset and less as a currency.
i am reading more and more of new investors getting into bitcoin and these are not using it as a currency!

this is an example taken from https://newsstand.google.com/articles/CAIiEM4K9XByPgCQTeiPrSVJ_zQqFAgEKg0IACoGCAowxIEBMKAYMNk_

"Bitcoin Surges To New Record High As CME Launches Bitcoin Futures In Q4Zero HedgeTyler Durden · Oct 31, 2017

As the mainstream continues to embrace cryptocurrencies - much to the chagrin of Jamie Dimon et al.
in the establishment - CME Group is "responding to client interest" and launching a Bitcoin Futures contract in Q4.

CME Group says new contract will be cash-settled, based on the CME CF Bitcoin Reference Rate (BRR) which serves
as a once-a-day reference rate of the U.S. dollar price of bitcoin.

This news has sent Bitcoin back up to record highs..."

Nice thank you for this news. I also noticed that some major foreign exchange like fxtm is now adding btcusd pairs. This is great because it will add more volume and demand for bitcoin. maybe this is the reason why is btc is at the peak now

Kidmat

Activity: 774

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:24:34 PM

To me, bitcoin serves both, as money and assets. Because I can buy something using bitcoin and can hold bitcoin until the highest price as an asset.
I can considered both because bitcoin can be an asset and as currency. It has a lot of advantages to the users we could buy goods and services. And we can say it is currency and as an asset ofcourse a lot of more to offer.
sumonrud

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 08:16:24 AM

Actually, you can say asset and currency both but it a currency because you can use it as an asset and as a currency.it has market value.I chose bitcoin as an investment asset Because the growth of bitcoin.its price is going up day by day.

moola_

Activity: 267
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 08:27:26 AM

It's an asset rather than a currency, but always have a strategy in whatever you put your money.
Aryanto28

Activity: 211
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 08:35:03 AM

I think bitcoin is an asset not a currency. because bitcoin is used not to replace the currency but bitcoin is used as a means of exchange to buy an item or another. that's why bitcoin can be said to be a valuable asset if its value is large.
MyIdeas

Activity: 734

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 11:07:27 PM

I see from the development of bitcoin to date whose value has reached more $ 7500, that bitcoin is an asset and currency. why asset? because now many people start to trust bitcoin for investment and take advantage of bitcoin as assets of their property.
why the currency? because many people who use bitcoin to meet their wants and needs, ranging from paying electricity, shoping, and others.
Yeah your opinion is good. Bitcoin is like both asset and currency. Bitcoin is proves itself better than any other assets. Bitcoin is also digital currency. Bitcoin is the best crypto currency in the world. If anyone need of money, he/she can sell Bitcoin at any time and get the money at once. So Bitcoin is better than real money because there is no need of banks to save Bitcoin. Bitcoin is also the best asset at this time. Because the price of Bitcoin going toward its peak. Any person who buys Bitcoin can earn a lot of money than any other asset.
Kokoy

Activity: 201

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 11:11:42 PM

Actually, it come to me as both currency and an asset since bitcoin has already undergone certain and various improvements, it has already started to cater both characteristics currency and an asset possesses. This only show and implies that bitcoin cryptocurrency is getting flexible to be able to meet up our needs and wants.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: