Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:50:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coins Killed By Cryptsy  (Read 902 times)
waya (OP)

Activity: 576
Merit: 250

Owns of Waya Wolf Coin - WW Supports the Wolf Park

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 10:55:00 PM

Hello All,

I was thinking about the coins killed by the ugly death of Cryptsy.  Many of us were left holding coins that suddenly had no value and no other exchanges with the developers walking away.  Currently some people are looking to bring back some of these coins, one being Flappy Coin has come back.  What I am curious about is what other coins would people like to see come back from the dead?

Cheers,
Waya 

Owner of Waya Wolf V2.0 Coin
Waya Wolf Coin Supports the Wolf Park in Battle Ground, Indiana!!
Join us and help Wolf Park an education, conservation, and research facility.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paulmusa25

Activity: 124
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 11:10:47 PM

What is cryptsy?

waya (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 11:40:05 PM

What is cryptsy?

cryptsy was an exchange that died in a scandalous ending with Big Vern, the owner fleeing the country and hiding

Choosewise

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 11:44:10 PM

Don't think most of the people here will know what cryptsy was. Or mintpal. They're just gonna continue keeping their funds on exchanges and keep getting fucked over time and time again

waya (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2017, 12:36:57 AM

Don't think most of the people here will know what cryptsy was. Or mintpal. They're just gonna continue keeping their funds on exchanges and keep getting fucked over time and time again

True. some hard lessons need to be learned.  But one thing special about cryptsy is that with its demise it took with it a number of coins.

I think I would like to broaden the topic to coins where the developers just walked away, but that is a way bigger list.  Many coins just get abandoned and the people holding them are simply fucked.  So if you have one of those coins feel free to mention it as well.

g4r1n1m

Activity: 238
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 12:44:07 AM

True. some hard lessons need to be learned.  But one thing special about cryptsy is that with its demise it took with it a number of coins.

I think I would like to broaden the topic to coins where the developers just walked away, but that is a way bigger list.  Many coins just get abandoned and the people holding them are simply fucked.  So if you have one of those coins feel free to mention it as well.

sorry for what happened with the exchange

i think that if people start to choose their coins after some research
they can avoid 95% of abandon chance..
so cant blame anyone for the second thing

StashCoin

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 12:59:50 AM

Nice work Waya. Any help let me know what I can do Wink
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1444

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 01:14:43 AM

If a cryptocoin depends on an exchange to make it live or die, then it does not deserve our time and bitcoins. A cryptocoin should depend on its own community. Without it a real community, then it should die.

Developers should also be dispensable. Read about the history of Monero. It became more progressive after smooth and others deposed the founder.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Vivisector999

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 01:30:30 AM

Yeah I lost a pile on Cryptsy. 

1 coin I would love to see in its former glory is Bottlecaps.   Not really sure if that died from Crypsy or other factors. 

Check out AC3  @ https://ac3.io/
lordnitro

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 04:18:31 PM

Yeah I lost a pile on Cryptsy. 

1 coin I would love to see in its former glory is Bottlecaps.   Not really sure if that died from Crypsy or other factors. 

Hey man, I've seen Bottlecaps on several other exchanges, but I will do some research

Thats a great project waya, I dont miss anycoin, was able to see whats going to happen and withdrawed all, lucky me.
But as always, contact me for help or anything
waya (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2017, 05:00:39 PM

Thanks to all who like this idea and want to help!

Dirgantara

Activity: 588

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 05:25:53 PM

The problem is most of coins on cryptsy are dead, no working blockchain, no further development, and there are tons of them. It will take a massive effort to bring them back from the dead. And i'm not really sure that most of people are willing to spend their time or money to do so while there are lots of altcoins out there which have a brighter prospect.
runner-f

Activity: 30

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 07:04:23 PM

Hello All,

I was thinking about the coins killed by the ugly death of Cryptsy.  Many of us were left holding coins that suddenly had no value and no other exchanges with the developers walking away.  Currently some people are looking to bring back some of these coins, one being Flappy Coin has come back.  What I am curious about is what other coins would people like to see come back from the dead?

Cheers,
Waya 

There are so many coins dying, besides cryptsy, I want Mammoth, Mastiff, Vootcoin, Bitleu & Digit back (just checked some of my dead wallets)
Vivisector999

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 07:43:52 PM

If a cryptocoin depends on an exchange to make it live or die, then it does not deserve our time and bitcoins. A cryptocoin should depend on its own community. Without it a real community, then it should die.

Developers should also be dispensable. Read about the history of Monero. It became more progressive after smooth and others deposed the founder.

I don't think you understand the scope of what Cryptsy "closing", and they way it closed had an effect on the coins.  At the same time, I don't really know if any of those coins have a hope of coming back, aside from maybe the name.

Back when Cryptsy was around, it was the largest and best set up altcoin exchange.  I think it at least felt bigger than Bittrex, it had more coins for trade, and people were more naive, as nothing of that magnitude happened before.   Everyone knew that Cryptsy was making a fortune on trade commissions, and thus alot of people felt safer keeping their coins on the exchange. 

Cryptsy didn't exactly "close", in the normal sense.  Instead Big Vern stole the coins stored on the exchange.  For alot of the smaller coins, he was probably holding onto the majority of the coins in the blockchain, thus being able to kill a coin because of an exchange.  Nothing the Developer or the community could do to save it, aside from maybe a total reset of the blockchain.

romec1701

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 07:46:02 PM

I never heard of Crypsy - but I am relatively new to crypto currency. How can the shutting down of one exchange cause the death of a coin (or many coins) I thought these things were supposed to be decentralised and immune to that sort of thing happening ?

Appreciate if someone could enlighten me cos I am worried about the future - if this happened once whats to stop it happening again??!

Vivisector999

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:04:21 PM
Last edit: October 26, 2017, 09:15:54 PM by Vivisector999

I never heard of Crypsy - but I am relatively new to crypto currency. How can the shutting down of one exchange cause the death of a coin (or many coins) I thought these things were supposed to be decentralised and immune to that sort of thing happening ?

Appreciate if someone could enlighten me cos I am worried about the future - if this happened once whats to stop it happening again??!

As I wrote above.  Cryptsy wasn't so much about an exchange "closing" as it was about a person/company stealing a majority of the coins.  

Imagine if that happened now, and imaging if it was an exchange like Bittrex.  Millions of dollars a day in trades.  All of a sudden if Bittrex claimed their wallet was hacked, and it closed and held/kept all coins in the exchange.  All of a sudden you would have coins with a $100 million Market cap that have say 70% of the coins sitting in a theif's wallet.    

The community could carry on like nothing happened, and knowing they are pouring $70 million into the theif's pocket to buyback the 70% coins that are stolen, or everyone could walk away stunned.   Also people like myself (Yes I was dumb/naive at the time) having a few thousand dollars worth of coins suddenly vanish in an instant,  just walk away from it all, killing any chance of having a community left to rebuild itself.   I pretty much left anything crypto related for about a year.

Also, the publicity of something of that magnitude pretty much crushed the rest of altcoin market at that point.  It was pretty much Altcoin's version of Black Monday.  

Edit:  Also to add.  Decentralized means that no one is in control of the coin, It's running on its own.  So when someone steals a decentralized coin, like if someone hacked your wallet and stole your coins, you don't have anyone to go back to in order to get things reversed.  Not even the developer.  Only option you (IE the developer) really has is the option of destroying part of the blockchain, or all of it, and doing a Hardfork, and seeing if it is accepted.  This has been done in the past to a fix/revive a few coins that were 51% attacked but its rare.  And with something like Cryptsy, there isn't a certain block that you can wipe to in order to fix anything,  As people were feeding that coin to the exchange over the lifetime of the coin itself.    

As for it happening in the future.  There really is no guarantee it can't happen again.  There is probably a good chance it WILL happen again.  This is why all of us that have been in crypto for years always tell others to never leave coins on an exchange wallet no matter how big the exchange is, or if you do, to not to leave more than you are willing to lose.    

eldub

Activity: 232
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 09:03:03 PM

For people who don't know Cryptsy, It was the biggest exchange of it's day. At that time Bittrex was tiny.  Like many of you new people I thought my coins were safe because I had a good password and  two factor authentication. But nothing can protect your funds from an exchange owner who sees so much money in his exchange that he figures he can make a runner to Thailand or somewhere and live on the beach forever. And Cryptsy wasn't an exception. I remember Mt. Gox, Cryptorush, Mintpal, Maxx etc. It will happen again. Please use the new hardware wallets, they are cheap compared to your capital and work great.

oaks05

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 09:15:46 PM

Hoboknickles I kind of liked back in the day I think its still on a exchange somewhere and klondike coin i also liked, I saw somewhere a while back you can claim certain coins from cryptsy for those who got screwed when they shut down.

█ █ █ █ █
         ██           ██
       ██     █ █ █ █   ██
     ██    ██        ██
   ██   ██               
  ██   ██     ████████                  ██████████
            ███          ██   █████████     ██      ██████  ██   ███████  ██    ███   ███████
 ██   ██    ███              ██      ███    ██      ██          ███       ██   ███  ██
 ██   ██    ███  ██████  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ███   ██
            ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██████     ███████
 ██   ██    ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ██           ██
             ██      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██   ███         ██
 ██   ██      ███████    ██   █████████     ██      ██      ██   ███████  ██    ███  ███████
  ██   ██                           ███
   ██    ██          ██            ███
     ██    ██ █ █ █ █   ██
       ██             ██
          █ █ █ █ █ █

Telegram     Facebook     Twitter     Medium
-------------------------------------------------------------------
.WEBSITE. |█| .WHITEPAPER.

......BOUNTY......
-----------------------------------
..ANN THREAD..
tranlapban

Activity: 8

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 09:18:23 PM

Why people want to bring the dead coin back?
I am just wondering
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 09:22:30 PM

For people who don't know Cryptsy, It was the biggest exchange of it's day. At that time Bittrex was tiny.  Like many of you new people I thought my coins were safe because I had a good password and  two factor authentication. But nothing can protect your funds from an exchange owner who sees so much money in his exchange that he figures he can make a runner to Thailand or somewhere and live on the beach forever. And Cryptsy wasn't an exception. I remember Mt. Gox, Cryptorush, Mintpal, Maxx etc. It will happen again. Please use the new hardware wallets, they are cheap compared to your capital and work great.

Their front-end design was slow, clumsy and a waste of time compared to btc-e.com, but Cryptsy was fun for trading many different coins in one place.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: