Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:26:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If the powerful governments wanted to, do you think they could stop Bitcoin?  (Read 4841 times)
Lorna t

Activity: 179
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 06:47:17 AM

I so not think it's possible, it can be okay. And if bitcoin can not stop the government because the two may even join if, the government wanted to stop the bitcoin. It's not easy to get a bigger bitcoin because bitcoin is one of the biggest company so difficult to make the government stop the bitcoin.... If just in case....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Daimon88

Activity: 397
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:27:45 AM

I think not because bitcoin is a digital item whose function is the same as gold that the price is not set by the government so the government can not prohibit the circulation of bitcoin. The government also can not freeze the ownership of bitcoin and bitcoin is also very easy to move to another wallet or can be easily taken out of the country so to ban the circulation of bitcoin is very difficult.
We all know this thing that bitcoin is decentralized in nature which actually means that there is no one who can actually control the bitcoin. As far as powerful governments are concerned, I really don’t think so that any government can do this thing.

Even if there is some government who can do this thing the government will not stop usage of bitcoin in their country as it is something which is helping their people a lot.
Yes you are right no one can stop bit coin as it have made place in the hearts of its investors due to its high profitability they are getting a good income through bit coin and they will never want that bit coin will be stopped. Besides this bit coin is getting more popularity and new people are knowing about bit coin and its profitability so they are also showing interest in bit coin by this strategy bit coin will become more strong.
shadowdio

Activity: 1876
Merit: 289

Zawardo

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 11:01:03 AM

I think they can stop bitcoin if they serious about that, you know goverment they have a power maybe they can increase the price of bitcoin and lower if they want to involved but i think bitcoin can help the economy, possible that they want to stop bitcoin.
tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 11:23:08 AM
Last edit: November 02, 2017, 06:36:48 PM by tee-rex

This is something which I've beleived for awhile, which is the prospect that if big governments and banks worked heavily together they'd be able to remove Bitcoin from the face of the earth. They wouldn't ban it, as that would be a tough thing to swallow for the American people as they wouldn't see a good reason to do that ( at least in my mind here) But they could just go ahead and regulate Bitcoin into oblivion, making it hard for Bitcoin businesses (buying and selling, trading, etc) to operate within their countries, or be subject to insane taxes, KYC AML and such.

Do you think Governments could kill Bitcoin?

I don't really think they could kill Bitcoin in the way you mean it by overregulating it, though I certainly see that as a legitimate point of concern. This is what now happens in China and will likely happen in Russia too in the next few months. Bitcoin and other cryptos depend on exchanges but such exchanges like Bitfinex, which seems to get most Bitcoin trading nowadays, are registered in territories which are rather liberal in this respect. In this manner, overregulation even in the US and EU may not have the effect the governments may be looking for.

Thus the answer is, no, they won't kill it by imposing insane taxes, KYC and AML policies, or whatever alongside these.
Technically stopping bitcoin is not possible till the last country on earth is allowing it. We need to understand that bitcoin is a peer to peer crypto currency. All it needs is a blockchain which keeps the ledger of transactions. Here no central authority could decide what can be modified or done once transaction is done(block is mined). The way govt has been controlling the economy by threatening a person or company was with there ability to  confiscate the cash and seize or froze the bank accounts. In other words govt could disable a person from using currency. And with help of other countries and organizations like InterPol they managed to force their action in other countries as well. Of course other countries also do the same. With bitcoin there is no such control available for govt. Thus they cannot kill it completely. However they could put curbs on bitcoin or crypto currency to the level that will demoralize people from using bitoin. Or they could even make it illegal to posses the coins. Or heavily tax the coins and companies which deals in bitocin.

It would be hard to stop bitcoin completely. Every country has strict laws against drugs and drug trafficking with severe punishments, and in many countries people are executed for selling drugs, but did it ever stop anyone who is involved in the business? It just made risk premiums higher. Of course, bitcoin is not drugs while bitcoin users are certainly not junkies, and its price will likely crash instead of rising if a universal ban is established, but they won't be able to eradicate it completely just like they can't weed out cannabis.
0t3p0t

Activity: 1554
Merit: 352

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2017, 12:14:31 PM

This is something which I've beleived for awhile, which is the prospect that if big governments and banks worked heavily together they'd be able to remove Bitcoin from the face of the earth. They wouldn't ban it, as that would be a tough thing to swallow for the American people as they wouldn't see a good reason to do that ( at least in my mind here) But they could just go ahead and regulate Bitcoin into oblivion, making it hard for Bitcoin businesses (buying and selling, trading, etc) to operate within their countries, or be subject to insane taxes, KYC AML and such.

As far as I know it can be possible in the future but for sure it will take so many years for the government to take down Bitcoin. Random people arround the world are holding different amounts of Bitcoins in their wallets and I think it is hard for the government to like collect all the twenty one million Bitcoins buy it all just to stop Bitcoin, Isn't it? Or it is hard for them to convince all countries to implement a total ban on Bitcoin. So I think the best thing they have to do is just regulate exchanges and let the people use Bitcoin freely according to the central banks regulations and live in a peaceful way of life.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
kaya11

Activity: 1302
Merit: 110

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 12:24:06 PM

No mate. Most of the government are in Federal and democratic state. The people holds the power not he leaders. China is different, the people wont be able to do nothing when prime ministers adresses to ban the BTC. But as we see nand experience, bitcoin adopters counts are vast day by day. So bitcoin can never be stopped.
armandoz

Activity: 162
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 01:34:23 PM

For me it defend in the country how stable the economy of country. in our country Philippines not so easy to decide, he need to think 10 times before he will stop it. now the unemployment starting slow down because of help of bitcoin. there is no better than the bitcoin did. n a very short time many Filipino now enjoying the income that receive as bitcoin member and continue increasing member.

thedarksun

Activity: 639
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 01:35:43 PM

If the government itself wants it, of course it could do it, but everyone just like it is now, illegal things are "movig and living" about the various ways and on the Internet it is even easier.
cryptoalfs76

Activity: 406

▰▰▰ MODULE ▰▰&#9

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 02:28:43 PM

If the government stop bitcoin in by hook or by crook  they can do it,because  they are the law,but they always remember that poverty in my country they didn't resolve it and every year always increasing,and when bitcoin comes helps decreasing the ratio of unemployment,without the contribution of the government. Mostly many of my countrymen will be benefited because of the bitcoin.

Kronos21

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 02:41:19 PM

If the government stop bitcoin in by hook or by crook  they can do it,because  they are the law,but they always remember that poverty in my country they didn't resolve it and every year always increasing,and when bitcoin comes helps decreasing the ratio of unemployment,without the contribution of the government. Mostly many of my countrymen will be benefited because of the bitcoin.
I disagree with you. Drugs prohibited by the laws of all States. But it's not helping. Trade this poison is everywhere. Even in Muslim countries where the death penalty for drug trafficking. I am sure that bitcoin will be the same. As the government is not fought with him there's nothing they can do. Therefore, most governments are considering the legalization of bitcoin. The ban are only the totalitarian regimes.
Osarman

Activity: 952
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 02:56:24 PM

Yes, governments can raise trouble for growing Bitcoin-friendly market environment. However, since the Bitcoin is no more a cryptocurrency/commodity limited in a single country, it is near to impossible for any government to complete evacuate Bitcoin without the collective efforts of each and every government out there. I haven't seen even a single topic on which the governments around the world unanimously agreed and acted to cooperate each other.
No I don’t think so because bitcoin is a decentralized currency and no government has any effect on it. Therefore I think that no government don’t care how powerful cannot stop bitcoin now. As bill Gates said that nobody in the world can stop bitcoin.

I agree with Bill Gates because the world is turning towards bitcoin and in the future there will be only one currency and that would be bitcoin.
trecore4

Activity: 658
Merit: 260

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 04:59:56 PM

I am always concerned about the government. They could really do so by implying new laws and regulation on how to handle the crypto currencies. However people can always plead in front of the law to make the life easier and humanly by putting the humble request. This is what law gives, a power to human rights. If bitcoin is feeding the hunger of people by working on it then how can government make it tough to earn. They will imply laws and they will put taxation terms on it but they will not ban it completely. That would be unpleasant decision and people may hate it and it will impact the political view also. So at least for next decade nothing really happens with it.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Ejanend

Activity: 460
Merit: 254

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 05:07:48 PM

Keep it from becoming even more popular and a currency used by most of the world's population? Yes.
Lower its popularity and potentially keep it to a small group of lawbreakers by making Bitcoin illegal? Yes.
Completely destroy the Bitcoin community? No.

Bitcoin is too large and too decentralized to be completely destroyed.
It can be made harder to use it, but it can't be stopped completely.

Regards,
Trump
It is true the bitcoin is not stoppable and the bitcoin value and the price is increasing with the passage of the time and a lot of the people are buying the bitcoin now and then it will grow more and more, a lot of the people are now increasing and it will not get down at any cost so you should say till the end of the year the bitcoin will help all the people and the government will say it as the regular currency.

BUY CRYPTO AT REASONABLE RATES
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
neonshium

Activity: 1134
Merit: 515

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 07:56:34 AM

I so not think it's possible, it can be okay. And if bitcoin can not stop the government because the two may even join if, the government wanted to stop the bitcoin. It's not easy to get a bigger bitcoin because bitcoin is one of the biggest company so difficult to make the government stop the bitcoin.... If just in case....
It all depends on whether that government has declared bitcoin as legal or not. If they have declared it as legal, then there are chances that they’ll be able to stop usage of bitcoin in their countries. In other case, it will not be possible for the government to do any such kind of thing as bitcoin does not come directly under the control of any single person or government. This cannot happen at all.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10211

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 08:07:40 AM
Last edit: November 02, 2017, 09:46:25 AM by JayJuanGee

It all depends on whether that government has declared bitcoin as legal or not. If they have declared it as legal, then there are chances that they’ll be able to stop usage of bitcoin in their countries. In other case, it will not be possible for the government to do any such kind of thing as bitcoin does not come directly under the control of any single person or government. This cannot happen at all.

Yep... exactly, and the more that the government may try to control these kinds of matters, then the more that the whole conduct will be pushed underground.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
websoftwareengineer

Activity: 364

Blockchain with VTOS energy

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 08:33:58 AM

I think they can stop bitcoin if they serious about that, you know goverment they have a power maybe they can increase the price of bitcoin and lower if they want to involved but i think bitcoin can help the economy, possible that they want to stop bitcoin.

They can really stop bitcoins because they are the leaders of the country but when they ban bitcoins then a low of complains will happen coming from huge bitcoin companies because they will lost all their investments if it happens.

⚫ ▬▬     V T O S   |   Decentralized CDN & Social Network     ▬▬ ⚫
  Whitepaper    JOIN OUR ICO  >  MAY 28th  <
FACEBOOK               MEDIUM               TWITTER               GITHUB               TELEGRAM
Hamstead

Activity: 805
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 08:38:09 AM

If the government itself wants it, of course it could do it, but everyone just like it is now, illegal things are "movig and living" about the various ways and on the Internet it is even easier.
Even though how powerful that country, it can't stop bitcoin at all as many other countries are supporting this. Only they can do is just banning it from coming in. Bitcoin is totally decentralized and nothing should take control with it.

Actually killing bitcoin isn't a good idea because a lot of people benefiting this, in fact this is a big chance for them to have a better life. And now, this kind o technology is a playing a big role as we are now in new generation.
Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 08:41:05 AM

Look what china tried to do.Governmetns dont have that chance and power to stop blockchain tecnhology. If they has they should finsih it.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
supandi wiharja

Activity: 420
Merit: 101

Earn crypto for being contacted

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 08:55:07 AM

I think the government will not be able to stop bitcoin, no matter how powerful the government is.
Because of the most powerful way to get rid of bitcoin, just by shutting down all the internet networks in the world, I'm sure, bitcoin will disappear and no longer be used in this world. And i think it's very unlikely, because everyone in the world is very dependent on the internet. So in conclusion, bitcoin will always exist as long as the internet network exists in the world.

ausbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:09:12 PM

You are right if the government wants then they can easily increase the power and the price of the bitcoin.  for this it will take the time and if once it happened the bitcoin will become the world famous currency and all the people will use the bitcoin and they will get the best return from the bitcoin users I hope in the future the bitcoin will grow more and more so the government will be in the favor of the bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: