Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:32:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If the powerful governments wanted to, do you think they could stop Bitcoin?  (Read 4841 times)
JL421

Activity: 812
Merit: 510

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 02:43:15 PM

yes they can they have been threatening that anytime soon they will ban bitcoin but i feel that the community might resist it and force the government to revoke their decision again im not sure this might happen
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogandogru

Activity: 481
Merit: 256

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 11:21:32 PM

Experts says that Bitcoin is unstoppable. Decentralized systems is hard to stop especially when it is running on internet. Only way to stop BTC is to arrest all the miners and the suspicious ones or shut the internet. But that will create a revolt. Even China's banning did not work and so other countries.
Bitcoin is clearly the future of payment, No matter central authorities accept it or not.
aftab.436

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 06:57:49 AM

Experts says that Bitcoin is unstoppable. Decentralized systems is hard to stop especially when it is running on internet. Only way to stop BTC is to arrest all the miners and the suspicious ones or shut the internet. But that will create a revolt. Even China's banning did not work and so other countries.
Bitcoin is clearly the future of payment, No matter central authorities accept it or not.

It is now hard to stop the bitcoin because of its high popularity and high security system. the popularity make the trust of the people which bitcoin got and getting day by day. the trust make attraction toward its trade buying and selling. in this bitcoin is going stronger and more stronger and it is not possible for even a powerful government wanted too.
davinchi
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1058

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 10:00:00 AM

The government has the right to do so and we can't do nothing but to obey them because they are the one making and implementing laws if this will happen many are affected maybe they will create another one
The government and the banks are already one (the government is the one that controls banks) so they won’t let anything work in disfavor of them, and the country if I might say. And for if they can stop bitcoin– yep, they actually can stop bitcoin. There is already something that can stop bitcoin easily out there, but bitcoin is working in favor of the government so they won’t stop it yet until things turns out to go the direction they don’t like.
Psynthax

Activity: 2296
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 10:31:12 AM

A powerful government can ban bitcoin in their country. For example the USA, if the USA ban bitcoin it could make other countries ban the bitcoin also. Since the othet countries adapt the american system. They possibly spread the ban in the world since they are the greatest country.
US already tried to ban the bitcoin in so many times and all of the US's effort seems to be useless, The bitcoin as the decentralized currency which can't be controlled by anything. This will be applied to all of the cryptos. The main concern about the centralized exchange.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
Vastraint

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 10:42:19 AM

i think government could kill and stop bitcoin if they want and they can do it as fast as they can because they have unlimited source to do this. but i think the government will thinking to not stop or kill bitcoin and i think they are now is study about bitcoin, they have many questions about bitcoin and they need the answer. so they let us to still use bitcoin because they know that they can learn bitcoin from many ways and they want to see how bitcoin in future.

I agree to you that each of our governments are still on the process of recognizing bitcoin to it's deepest details and functions, so they can know if bitcoin really can brings such change in the future. But I hope they won't value the threat that bitcoin can bring, but rather to value the help it can bring to every people and just regulate it to lessen the threat it can bring on a country. Because also for me, they can stop bitcoin if they want through eliminating/removing all transactions related bitcoin.

CodyAlfaridzi

Activity: 1708
Merit: 541

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 10:43:43 AM

This is something which I've beleived for awhile, which is the prospect that if big governments and banks worked heavily together they'd be able to remove Bitcoin from the face of the earth. They wouldn't ban it, as that would be a tough thing to swallow for the American people as they wouldn't see a good reason to do that ( at least in my mind here) But they could just go ahead and regulate Bitcoin into oblivion, making it hard for Bitcoin businesses (buying and selling, trading, etc) to operate within their countries, or be subject to insane taxes, KYC AML and such.

Do you think Governments could kill Bitcoin?

They could if Bitcoin wasn't as big as it is right now. Bitcoin has been growing so big that "fighting" Bitcoin right now is like fighting a losing battle. I'm sure it is also not in their best interest to stop Bitcoin completely. That will require too much work and little to no benefit.

What government should do, instead, is regulate Bitcoin loosely. The government could classify it as an asset or anything else and start taxing profit from Bitcoin trading if they haven't already. Instead of forcing rules that is against the interest of most people, they could just be the "good guy" and earn a lot of benefits (money) from it.

When China ban Bitcoin exchange in their country, their people would simply use proxy to trade them. I read somewhere that people in China didn't get too much trouble because of the banning.
patt0
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1005

Betting Championship betking.io/sports-leaderboard

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 11:20:45 AM

What government should do, instead, is regulate Bitcoin loosely. The government could classify it as an asset or anything else and start taxing profit from Bitcoin trading if they haven't already. Instead of forcing rules that is against the interest of most people, they could just be the "good guy" and earn a lot of benefits (money) from it.

When China ban Bitcoin exchange in their country, their people would simply use proxy to trade them. I read somewhere that people in China didn't get too much trouble because of the banning.

I think you made a good point here. If governments try to ban bitcoin or make it illegal, people can still try to use it underground anyway, and they will spend a lot more time and money, trying to catch those who are using it illegally. If they just regulate it, to make it harder to use it for illegal activities, like they try to do with fiat already, then they will be able to get tax revenues for those that have no intentions of doing any illegal things with it, and just want to use it because they find it convenient.

I don't think bitcoin will ever die from the hands of governments, so we should be safe on that matter.

beej

Activity: 476
Merit: 108

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 11:33:51 AM

A powerful government can ban bitcoin in their country. For example the USA, if the USA ban bitcoin it could make other countries ban the bitcoin also. Since the othet countries adapt the american system. They possibly spread the ban in the world since they are the greatest country.

Banning or stopping bitcoin is a nonviable actuality at the moment. People wouldn't allow it, they
would protest to the idea. It would only strengthen bitcoin's popularity and prevalence.
Governments on the other-hand could influence and interfere on bitcoin's course, possibly
taking an interest on it, who wouldn't? they are probably working on it.
It's worth more than 8 thousand dollars now.
darewaller

Activity: 2800
Merit: 634

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 11:37:48 AM

Lol, every government is strong, even if they want to do it and can’t do it or figure out how, they will actually seek for the help of another government to assist them in doing so. By the way, we have already seen some countries ban bitcoin, which I believe was due to Bitcoin impacting negatively to their economy. We don’t know which one might follow next, but I pray that no other fool, even if they will, it will be no time soon.
Sled

Activity: 1680
Merit: 535

Bitcoin- in bullish time

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 01:55:28 PM

Lol, every government is strong, even if they want to do it and can’t do it or figure out how, they will actually seek for the help of another government to assist them in doing so. By the way, we have already seen some countries ban bitcoin, which I believe was due to Bitcoin impacting negatively to their economy. We don’t know which one might follow next, but I pray that no other fool, even if they will, it will be no time soon.
They are just afraid of bitcoin that it might surpass the other type of investment that they have in their country so they banned bitcoin to be safe from that threat and just continue their way of investing which is the natural way or traditional investment types. They couldn't stop bitcoin because there is a lot of big people that are in bitcoin and also there is a lot of people who are supporting bitcoin so i think that it is just impossible for them to totally stop bitcoin.
robinsonnde

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 01:56:56 PM

The power of goverments only can banned Bitcoin , put Bitcoin in the prohibited list . They do not have enough power to shut Bitcoin down. Decision isn't in their hand so the answer is no.
Diablesfunis

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 02:00:08 PM

They don't have the power to completely shut it down. They can hinder bitcoin development by banning bitcoin trading in their country but there will be some people that will keep trading even though it is banned and it is hard to completely remove something like. They can make agreements with other countries to stop bitcoin but i doubt all of them will agree to that decision.

♦      GΞMΞRA      ♦     Crypto-Token Backed by Colombian Emeralds     [  WHITEPAPER  ]               
     ▬▬▬    PRE-SALE  ▶  Sep 10th - Oct 24th     JOIN NOW & get 20% BONUS!    ▬▬▬     
♦          TELEGRAM        TWITTER        FACEBOOK        YOUTUBE         MEDIUM         GITHUB         LINKEDIN          ♦
ask
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 02:41:11 PM

Its impossible for todays technology. I know too many country trying to ban TOR network but as you know no one able to block TOR traffic.
Also we have nice VPN gateways to access eveywhere.
Gameroid

Activity: 798
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 11:45:02 PM

Yes I think this is possible, if powerfull government want to stop bitcoin popularity because they have the courage to stop everything they want like they can stop bitcoin by ordering that to their neighboring countries to do not invest and I know they will do like that, but Also we know that bitcoin is a decentralized cryptocurrency and have the power to spread out over the world without any hesitation.
brainape

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 11:46:01 PM

I think a power full government does not stop bitcoin as a recent example of China they banned Bitcoin in their country but people use it. In other If they opposed bitcoin they will create some issue such as bane on bitcoin exchange but for life time they can’t stop it now of its popularity and the people interest of worldwide.
I agree, government cannot stop bitcoin only by ban bitcoin. They have to stop the all miners who process the bitcoin transactions, and it's hard to do. The decentralized system is very good in this case.

That's going to be quite a crackdown if governments seriously want to do it but they can. Of course governments have all the means to completey illegalize and supress bitcoin if they want to even though it may be quite umpopular to the people.
Of course we see that when some country ban bitcoin then the price of bitcoin decreases so means that bitcoin gets effected by rejection, and when a powerful government try to ban bitcoin then I think bitcoin will lose a lot and possibility to have bright future decreases and weak.
MommyElsa

Activity: 387

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 11:53:23 PM

I don't think so, i think they cannot trace the transaction anymore. So it they will stop using bitcoin, how will they do it.

🥤🧊🥤🧊        ONLINE SOCIAL COMMUNICATION & DATING APK         🧊🥤🧊🥤
Jeremiesaranza

Activity: 252
Merit: 101

EMMARES – Email as you know it, will never be the

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 04:47:06 AM

I think no..because many people depending on Bitcoin because Bitcoin changes many lives..especially unemployed,less fortunate etc..

E M M A R E S  ❍ .... Email as you know it, will never be the same.
EMMARES ICO  |   TELEGRAM  |   REDDIT   |   LINKEDIN   Twitter  | MEDIUM  FACEBOOK 
deniskiely

Activity: 130
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 05:07:02 AM

I don't think so, i think they cannot trace the transaction anymore. So it they will stop using bitcoin, how will they do it.
They can see the transaction but they can't 100% know who made that transaction , that 's the most amazing feature made bitcoin can not being under control of goverment.
Kevin77
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 05:16:44 PM

This is something which I've beleived for awhile, which is the prospect that if big governments and banks worked heavily together they'd be able to remove Bitcoin from the face of the earth. They wouldn't ban it, as that would be a tough thing to swallow for the American people as they wouldn't see a good reason to do that ( at least in my mind here) But they could just go ahead and regulate Bitcoin into oblivion, making it hard for Bitcoin businesses (buying and selling, trading, etc) to operate within their countries, or be subject to insane taxes, KYC AML and such.

Do you think Governments could kill Bitcoin?
Government cannot do nothing about bitcoin. Bitcoin is decentralized and no one can stop it aside from internet. Internet is the heart of bitcoin, without this bitcoin is useless. But, we also know that no one owns internet and even government can't stop it. They might shutdown in but they cannot do it worldwide because we are now in modern world and internet is the first part of it.
Certainly, without the internet, bitcoin is totally useless. Secondly, we are in control now and anyone can decide to place the value they want on their currency as long as they want it rather than being enslaved by the government and then they end up throwing inflation bullshit at us based on their control at the detriment of the masses.

Their time is over mate and bitcoin being a global decentralized currency, there is nothing they can do about it. Like a friend of mine always says, Bitcoin is a currency by the people, to the people and for the people.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: