Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:52:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If the powerful governments wanted to, do you think they could stop Bitcoin?  (Read 4841 times)
Omega Weapon

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 07:08:54 PM

if the government is really that powerful maybe .just maybe . cause bitcoin only works thru internet plus we all know nowadays that theres a lot of people who knows how internet works.if they cant stop it in legal ways like make bitcoin coin illegal day can always hack all the accounts from bitcoin to atleast damage all the networks of bitcoin..
They don’t need to sit their ass down and stress themselves hacking accounts on bitcoin which is up to millions. There is already quantum computers, and they can use it to destroy every Bitcoin by simply using the addresses, and puff! Your money is gone. The government is interested in Bitcoin as for now, and they are making profit from it, so they don’t want it to end right now. If they want to end it, it will be when they realize that lots of people are losing money in it, then they will find a way to end it.
As far as we know quantum computers cannot do that, now maybe they have secret technology that can do that but at the same time the are already algorithms that are resistant to quantum computers, never forget that it is always going to be easier to defend from attacks than it is to attack, at some point our encryption technology will be so powerful there is not going to be a way to ever decrypt it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
USScrypto

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 07:16:44 PM

To kill a thing you have to know its central and whereas btc don`t have a central it is not logical to say they would kill it. But if they put high taxes on it and if some other governments adopt it they will face so difficulties.
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 07:36:53 PM

I don't think so, i think they cannot trace the transaction anymore. So it they will stop using bitcoin, how will they do it.
although they have the power and resoruces to do so, but i am sure that they will not do so, because they are also thinking about the legalization of bitcoin. In fact people are interested to in purchase bitcoin even in such a high price, they are confident about bitcoin that bitcoin has a good future therefore they want to invest more andmroe money in bitcoin and that is the reason that government are not going to bane bitcoin.
Feuerbach

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 09:50:40 PM

I think that if the government needs to kill bitcoin, and they take it seriously, they will succeed
MotulDiesel

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 10:06:25 PM

In reality, many powerful government and small government also have done many thing to stop bitcoin as banning, propaganda wrong information or execution for bitcoin owner. For example, China, big country really hate bitcoin, do all they can do to stop it but it seems law can not against bitcoin miners. The only way make bitcoin be stopped and dead is losing trust, when nobody use, believe and invest in bitcoin, this is the time bitcoin stop and retire. Therefore, you can see the strong of citizen, government can't control all thing they want, citizen always above the law.
Coral27

Activity: 184
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 01:48:59 PM

A powerful government can ban bitcoin in their country. For example the USA, if the USA ban bitcoin it could make other countries ban the bitcoin also. Since the othet countries adapt the american system. They possibly spread the ban in the world since they are the greatest country.
It seems like joke because if some countries and banks want to remove bitcoin from earth so n other hand some countries are trying to accept bitcoin and some of them make bitcoin legal and recently bitcoin is arrived to many big countries because they need and they support as well so I think it’s very hard for them to do so because bitcoin is now such fast growing economy in market and it will not allow anyone to stop it.
buxlover

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 01:55:04 PM

Do you think Governments could kill Bitcoin?

This can not happen because they know very well most of the business are now accepting the bitcoin as primary currency to transact because it easy to use and there is good population who is using it. If they fail the bitcoin then they will fail there people and no government would want to take the risk of putting themselves into position where their political career might just get ruined.

The things could be messy in that way. So I don't think that they have any good reason to shut it down. Also they will benefit in the future by implementing their own services by using the bitcoin as mode of payment and thus they will get more attention of people and wow everybody is happy now. So this is how it will work in the future.
kidsrock

Activity: 280
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 02:00:33 PM

the government can stop bitcoin as they have an unlimited source that they can use but I am not sure that people which using bitcoin will be stopped too because I think they will find another way to keep connected with bitcoin. and I don't think that the government will stop bitcoin because maybe they are learning bitcoin with secretly and they don't want the public to know about this. and if they think that they can find a gap to control bitcoin, I guess they can use this way to stop and trying to control bitcoin.
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 02:05:32 PM

This is something which I've beleived for awhile, which is the prospect that if big governments and banks worked heavily together they'd be able to remove Bitcoin from the face of the earth. They wouldn't ban it, as that would be a tough thing to swallow for the American people as they wouldn't see a good reason to do that ( at least in my mind here) But they could just go ahead and regulate Bitcoin into oblivion, making it hard for Bitcoin businesses (buying and selling, trading, etc) to operate within their countries, or be subject to insane taxes, KYC AML and such.

Of course they can.  We should abide by what our government say.  So if they want bitcoin to stop, then we should stop.  For sure they have better plans and maybe they know the reason why they asked to stop it.  But since bitcoin is successful and legalised in some part of the world, it cannot be stop.
Gabrieelle

Activity: 364
Merit: 267

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 02:11:39 PM

To kill a thing you have to know its central and whereas btc don`t have a central it is not logical to say they would kill it. But if they put high taxes on it and if some other governments adopt it they will face so difficulties.
If bitcoin will be taxed, it means the transaction fees will be double its price. If the government does thess act, not all users can afford expensive transaction fees. As of today they already complain about the high fees bitcoin  currently have
thedarksun

Activity: 639
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 02:45:21 PM

They can't stop it, they only could make the developing of it slower by some regulations in law which won't make everybody stop investing in it.
hajimasan

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 02:50:54 PM

This is something which I've beleived for awhile, which is the prospect that if big governments and banks worked heavily together they'd be able to remove Bitcoin from the face of the earth. They wouldn't ban it, as that would be a tough thing to swallow for the American people as they wouldn't see a good reason to do that ( at least in my mind here) But they could just go ahead and regulate Bitcoin into oblivion, making it hard for Bitcoin businesses (buying and selling, trading, etc) to operate within their countries, or be subject to insane taxes, KYC AML and such.

This is really a funny serious question , Here this is the truth that bitcoin can never be stop by any country because the truth behind is that they can make some rules to use or not to use the bitcoin ( regualtion or ban ) but they can't stop people to use internet for the bitcoin use purpose , Because in the current time many VPN services are available to use and in that way people will forcely use bitcoin to make profit , so here no chance for the any government to ban the bitcoin . And also another factor to stop the bitcoin is not possible because no one don't knows that from where it is operating and how the system is maintained by the team of the bitcoin and who is the owner behind the bitcoin ownership and also the security of the bitcoin is like totally unhackable , so no chance to stop the Network of the bitcoin .
SilverChromia

Activity: 357
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 02:51:32 PM

Well if you saying goverments they can stop bitcoins of course but do you think no one will continue to work on this and no one will continue to support this? of course this coins has change a lot of people lives and i think those people will protect and and to support bitcoins to those powerful goverments who wants to take down this bitcoins. Thats the disadvantage of the world even we have a goverment somebody will not follow the rules of the country because of what? to change his/her life because we know we are not doing anything wrong to other people and we know that we are not doing anything bad or hurting anyone just to earn this coin so i think thats the power of people of some nations that even powerful goverments cannot do anything to it.

DRIFE  ●●●●●●     Pre-sale: December 2018
██ BNEXGEN DECENTRALIZED RIDE HAILING PLATFORM ██
  ●●● Facebook ●● Twitter ●● Telegram ●● BTC ●● Whitepaper ●●● 
eloymjb

Activity: 247

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 03:38:43 PM

i dont think so to stop bitcoin but in the other side is it posible. like a government of north korea we all know that their government is very strict in many aspects in their beloved country if people their use bitcoin and the government wanted to stop all of them, then the bitcoin is easily stop on them.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
WORLDOPOLY ◈     ▐   FACEBOOKANN THREADTELEGRAM TWITTER INSTAGRAM           ▌    JOIN OUR ICO  26 Feb-21 Jun
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Malaya

Activity: 322
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:17:14 PM

As powerful as the governments and any other private banks, they can do as much as they can to stop or erase the face bitcoin in the society but I think they can't stop or kill it completely for as long people believe in it. For as long people's eyes are being opened to possibility of what bitcoin can do even to the near future. For now, bitcoin may sound absurd to some countries or government because they might not that knowledgeable about it. For this reason, most of the people in the government are in different generations than the millenials. Sooner or later, bitcoin eill be as popular as it can be and no one can even stop it.

████          O W N R   W A L L E T          ████   VISA PREPAID CARD    ████  Use crypto to pay in stores with OWNR  ████
❱❱❱❱ ❱❱❱ ❱❱ ❱     Buy, send, receive and exchange crypto        VISA    mastercard   SPA    UnionPay     ❰ ❰❰ ❰❰❰ ❰❰❰❰
BLOG       TWITTER     ██ █▌█ ▌     Manage crypto and VISA card in OWNR Wallet app    ▐ █▐█ ██     REDDIT   YOUTUBE
Xising

Activity: 910
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:48:52 PM

I think the most that they could is to start regulating bitcoin, because completely stopping it to function not that easy. However, implementing hard penalties, would be a game changer. The number of users would decrease because people would stay away from something illegal as much as possible. Governments can do crazy things, so for me, they can stop it but they would really have a hard time in doing so.
adiksau0414

Activity: 434

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 05:06:03 PM

Government have the power,  but not totally removed it in the existence. They could ban it like in China.  Bitcoin is circulating now worldwide and the government have no idea who are the holder of bitcoin. If they want to remove they need to ask their people or investigate their people who have bitcoins. Or they just have to shut their whole connection to avoid using bitcoin.  But the ugly part of doing this,  people will not give up their bitcoins and probably use underground means of holding or spending of bitcoin which will the government cant detect.  The government may affect this situation and its also their loss.

Omega Weapon

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 05:37:31 AM

I think no..because many people depending on Bitcoin because Bitcoin changes many lives..especially unemployed,less fortunate etc..
Governments do not care about such a thing if they perceive something as a threat they are going to do everything in their power to stop it even if that something helps people, it was not that long ago that it was illegal to hold gold in the US despite the fact that holding gold is something that can only benefit you and I will not be surprised if the US banned gold again and maybe banned bitcoin as well.
skillink

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 05:42:57 AM

bitcoin stands with a complicated peer to peer and blockchain system, if the government wants to stop bitcoin it must stop its users but in fact bitcoin users on earth is very much and difficult to detect.
MidKnight

Activity: 476
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 08:22:39 AM

I believe it could happen. US is the most powerful country and if their government will release an order for a total ban with bitcoin then it's really possible that bitcoin will be obsolete because a lot of  countries and especially mine look up on US and  just follow anything they are doing.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: