Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:36:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If the powerful governments wanted to, do you think they could stop Bitcoin?  (Read 4841 times)
nagatraju

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 10:47:17 AM

I think that everything is under control, no one will allow chaos in the states...and if bitcoin was a danger, it would have been covered long ago

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
racham02

Activity: 257
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:04:02 PM

For me i think they can stop the bitcoin by the goverment because they do not control the bitcoin or else they have no right to stop the bitcoin, there are so many people who help bitcoin especially those who do not have jobs or stable jobs.There are so many jobs for the people but the goverment does not give it.

Sled

Activity: 1680
Merit: 535

Bitcoin- in bullish time

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:15:20 PM

For me i think they can stop the bitcoin by the goverment because they do not control the bitcoin or else they have no right to stop the bitcoin, there are so many people who help bitcoin especially those who do not have jobs or stable jobs.There are so many jobs for the people but the goverment does not give it.
Government is the only organization that the people obey in a country and that is the reason why the government can stop bitcoin because if they will make a law that is strong enough to scare people and make them away from using bitcoin then i think that it will be very possible for them to just stop bitcoin and shutdown it completely by banning it.
Capt00

Activity: 938
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:22:59 PM

Government is the only organization that the people obey in a country and that is the reason why the government can stop bitcoin because if they will make a law that is strong enough to scare people and make them away from using bitcoin then i think that it will be very possible for them to just stop bitcoin and shutdown it completely by banning it.
Anyway, that's quite easy for them because they are in the authorities. But, maybe they consider also how bitcoin will affect the life of their people before implying their decision for banning bitcoin. The most important thing is that, there is no conflict of interest that cause problem in the future.
Omega Weapon

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 02:06:38 AM

I've watched the movie "bitcoin hacker". and there, the subject matter is:
the government is worried if bitcoin is used as a means of money laundering by the mafia. then, the government and the state police are trying to find the bitcoin holders. after watching the movie, I also became worried if it happened. hopefully nobody takes advantage of bitcoin for criminal purposes, so there is no problem with the government and bitcoin can continue to exist.
This already happened, have you not heard about the silk road and similar sites? And it is useless to hope otherwise, bitcoin is going to be used by criminals and unfortunately that is going to bring the attention of the governments, however if they try to deal with this by just punishing bitcoin users they are going to find that is going to become a lot harder than they thought, the best approach is to accept bitcoin and then prosecute those that are guilty of a crime.
Seeker#9

Activity: 658
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 06:57:39 AM

The only way to effectively ban the bitcoin is to ban the internet itself. Some governments like China have been trying to ban or regulate cryptocurrencies but to no avail. Powerful governments in the future might try to control or suppress the use of bitcoin by using technologies that used to create bitcoin like blockchain technology.
dharnamonitor

Activity: 448

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 07:10:54 AM

Did they stopped all the illegal usage of drugs or even the criminals lurking in the darkest market place? if not, then do you think they could completely stop this cryptocurrency? now that most of the people around the globe are investing, staking a lot of money with this thing?

benmartin613

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 07:12:30 AM

Well im not an internet expert but i think that they can put a stop to its people by regulating or putting a internet censorship over its population, just like China has over its citizen they have some internet censorship but i dont know to what extent.
barbara44

Activity: 2394
Merit: 605

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 05:38:04 AM

Maybe they can stop bitcoin.But they cannot really in a way diminish it for a very long time.And there are some things that a government should do instead of ruining bitcoin.
They can only do one thing that they can stop bitcoin usage in their region and nothing else and this is the best thing about bitcoin that it cannot be stopped by any specific region the recent example is china they banned bitcoin price goes down a bit and then clicked back, bitcoin nature is unstoppable and this thing attract people toward it and the most stupid government can try this to stop bitcoin in short stop progress.
Firstly, China did not ban bitcoin, but they shut down exchanges to come back to regulate it and they banned ICOs. Totally different from banning bitcoin as anyone can decide to go on doing P2P exchange. However, I agree with every other thing you said. Bitcoin is unstoppable and there is nothing any government can do to stop it. In fact, they tried all their best, they just could not.
aencarnaci

Activity: 448
Merit: 281

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 06:07:45 AM

I would hate to live in your world where you think governments are powerful. They have absolutely zero power in reality, but virtually people believe they do because of FIAT money. FIAT money has been taking power from the people and giving it to TPTB. No longer will they have power though because people are converting their worthless FIAT into BTC and that is taking power away from them.
It was actually the control they have over FIAT that gave them the power they have and enslaved people in the process. Those days are gone now and there is nothing they can do about it. Some of them have come to accept the reality and are already trying to see how they can regulate the activities, while some are still trying to prove stubborn, but they have no choice! They will definitely come around.
adamvp

Activity: 1246
Merit: 708

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:18:05 PM

I'm afraid yes,
of course not entirely, but they could lower bitcoin position for about 90% by demanding to register btc adresses and penalizing use of unregistered ones, then they can control use of bitcoins by criminalize transfer beetwen some adresses, so bitcoin will become useless for independent people.

I am looking for signature campaign Wink pm me
cheann20

Activity: 344
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:27:19 PM

This is something which I've beleived for awhile, which is the prospect that if big governments and banks worked heavily together they'd be able to remove Bitcoin from the face of the earth. They wouldn't ban it, as that would be a tough thing to swallow for the American people as they wouldn't see a good reason to do that ( at least in my mind here) But they could just go ahead and regulate Bitcoin into oblivion, making it hard for Bitcoin businesses (buying and selling, trading, etc) to operate within their countries, or be subject to insane taxes, KYC AML and such.

Do you think Governments could kill Bitcoin?
So for me, I think government could kill and stop bitcoin if they want and they can do it as fast as they can because they have unlimited source to do this and tey have power to do what ever they want .. But I think the government will thinking to not stop bitcoin or kill it and I also think that they are now studying about bitcoin, they have many questions about bitcoin and they need the answer,answer that they will encourage, so they let us to still use bitcoin because they know what about bitcoin and they can learn bitcoin from many ways and they want to see how bitcoin in future..
Omega Weapon

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:01:02 PM

They can stop bitcoin operation on their countries but the total usage of bitcoin, I doubt it they can stop it. There's a massive adoption that bitcoin has recently and gov't isn't taking any step of looking on it as something that can be stopped.
I agree to that. The only thing that a government can do is to stop bitcoin for the transactions that is going in their country and after that then there they can't do anything more than that. Bitcoin is just cryptocurrency and it is decentralized so even the governments can't do anything to fully stop it as a cryptocurrency.
Not really the US monitors all the Internet and many of the servers run through the US so they can in theory block a great degree of Internet traffic and that includes bitcoin as well, but at the end it does not matter as long as there are other countries that accept bitcoin, this is why I think in the future governments will have no other option but to accept bitcoin whether they like it or not.
Colt22

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:12:35 PM

Not at all cause bitcoin is still in some part anonymus, of course some of us won't invest more in it and they will just hodl this amount which they have now but for some it will be just next step to overcome barrier made by goverment.
It is also to be noted that governments follow the will of the public. A welfare state do not impose those rules on their public which are in harm for their public so if people will get prosperity with bitcoin then they will not ban it in their country but they will promote it more and more and they will legalize it just like Japan which know that it is beneficial for their people so they legalize bitcoin in their state.
Omega Weapon

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 12:38:57 AM

Did they stopped all the illegal usage of drugs or even the criminals lurking in the darkest market place? if not, then do you think they could completely stop this cryptocurrency? now that most of the people around the globe are investing, staking a lot of money with this thing?
Yeah, I'm sure governments will love to erase bitcoin from the minds of the people but they cannot do that and they understand very clearly they cannot make people to not adopt bitcoin, they have been trying to buy time but it seems they are finally realizing that is going to fail as well, so they are going to try to regulate exchanges and they are soon going to realize that is going to fail once again.
tinystone26

Activity: 434
Merit: 10

Unleash the Power of the World's Crypto Data

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:08:17 AM

I also agree that they can't stop bitcoin to live so long and help people like us because we know that all people that use bitcoin really trusted this for all years it comes.

▶ ▶ T O K E N D A T A   |   UNLEASH THE POWER OF THE WORLD'S CRYPTO DATA   |   T O K E N D A T A ◄ ◄
GET WHITELISTED [ REGISTER NOW ]   ❖   WHITEPAPER   ❖   ANN THREAD   ❖
■  TWITTER  ■  LINKEDIN  ■  TELEGRAM  ■  FACEBOOK  ■  MEDIUM  ■  DISCORD  ■  REDDIT  ■
gambitcoin53

Activity: 378
Merit: 25

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:47:28 AM

i think, yes they can, with the use of international laws regarding forex, tax and any laws stated in each country,  they can unite to form a law to halt mining by tax laws, with mobilized advertisement or blockout news regarding bitcoin and mis interpret it as illegal, they can, but let's us not give them the idea, let us enjoy bitcoin while we can.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
Omega Weapon

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 03:16:30 AM

Not at all cause bitcoin is still in some part anonymus, of course some of us won't invest more in it and they will just hodl this amount which they have now but for some it will be just next step to overcome barrier made by goverment.
It is also to be noted that governments follow the will of the public. A welfare state do not impose those rules on their public which are in harm for their public so if people will get prosperity with bitcoin then they will not ban it in their country but they will promote it more and more and they will legalize it just like Japan which know that it is beneficial for their people so they legalize bitcoin in their state.
Disagree, in theory governments should care about the well being of their people, but how many times have you seen misplaced policies that instead of helping people damage people and those policies are left in place, governments have learned to become self serving so even if they know that people are going to benefit from bitcoin they are not going to make it legal if they think bitcoin is going to affect their interests.
CHENIEN

Activity: 616
Merit: 11

Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 04:14:43 AM

Goverment is the higher power of all transaction in every country. We the people also are belong to goverment. We have also the power of freedom of speech so when times come that goverment leaders will try to stop bitcoin with the provision of the law of goverment, we the people also have the right to argue which the good thing to do that everybody will benifited not only the people but also we can support our country contributing taxes which we earn from bitcoin business transactions. For me goverment will not stop bitcoin, instead they force bitcoin to pay taxes. When taxes applied on bitcoin the big impact is on the big adjustment of bitcoin price. Because not only the leader of bitcoin will suffer of taxes but also the people using bitcoin.n

iBid    ▐    Decentralized Auctions on Blockchain   (❪  ► About us   ► Telegram  ❫)
◾ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬            AN  AUCTION    ❱    All auctions start at    $0
[   ◥   Google Play      ◥   App Store   ]  ██ SIGN UP ██  ❱   with no minimum reserve
mia khalifa

Activity: 476

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 04:15:42 AM

This is something which I've beleived for awhile, which is the prospect that if big governments and banks worked heavily together they'd be able to remove Bitcoin from the face of the earth. They wouldn't ban it, as that would be a tough thing to swallow for the American people as they wouldn't see a good reason to do that ( at least in my mind here) But they could just go ahead and regulate Bitcoin into oblivion, making it hard for Bitcoin businesses (buying and selling, trading, etc) to operate within their countries, or be subject to insane taxes, KYC AML and such.

Do you think Governments could kill Bitcoin?

are you kidding? the government will not be able and will not be able to stop bitcoin transactions, it is time to develop into a more efficient digital money than using paper not too efficient.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: