Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:50:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If the powerful governments wanted to, do you think they could stop Bitcoin?  (Read 4841 times)
pallang

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 08:01:27 AM

Bitcoin is very popular right now and it is becoming more popular but i think government can banned Bitcoin because they have the power to do so but as long as we keep on joining and investing it will not stop.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
caseback

Activity: 133
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 09:15:24 AM

We can sense that the government and banking officials is now on offensive by painting cryptocurrency as a fraud/scam. But they can’t or investors never trust them because we all know about they’re own interest and profits that’s why they’re doing such move on bitcoin. With the help of internet and social media they can’t manage to stop it and that’s the truth.
Its true government will stop bitcoin through stop also the internet,and i think its impossible.,they can only provide some rules but they can never stop bitcoin.
Carlsen

Activity: 910
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 09:23:34 AM

I don't see that stoping bitcoin completely is possible.
You would have to decomission every computer that runs bitcoin mining software, and those are distributed all around the globe.
What governments can do is to make it harder for the people to exchange bitcoin into the local fiat. But that's it.
Luckily most governments don't want to do that. Many governments have recognized the potential crypto currencies provide, and they see that most users are willing to pay taxes on their crypto profits.
That makes crypto currencies an aditional source of income for a government, while banks too often nearly pay no taxes at all and sometimes even have to be rescued with taxe money.

It's me!!!
Gustafio

Activity: 350
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 09:25:41 AM

As many people says bitcoin is unstoppable and I believe that so. Whether the government like it or not, Bitcoin (or some other crypto) is clearly the future of payments.

Decentralized systems is hard to eradicate it is owned by people and if the government do something to stop it people will revolt. But I don't think it will happen, even China's banning did not work and so other countries.
coinxwife

Activity: 167

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 09:30:45 AM

Well, we saw how China was able to really make a dent on bitcoin's value. If every country does this, very few will continue to use bitcoins, essentially stopping it. One country cannot do it itself.
Exactly! They can never stop bitcoin because many unfortunate people are now better.,,so why must this be stopped,lets just support this kind of helpful forum/campaign so we may all  be achieve our better life.
keeee

Activity: 574
Merit: 267

" Coindragon.com 30% Cash Back "

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 09:38:04 AM

This is something which I've beleived for awhile, which is the prospect that if big governments and banks worked heavily together they'd be able to remove Bitcoin from the face of the earth. They wouldn't ban it, as that would be a tough thing to swallow for the American people as they wouldn't see a good reason to do that ( at least in my mind here) But they could just go ahead and regulate Bitcoin into oblivion, making it hard for Bitcoin businesses (buying and selling, trading, etc) to operate within their countries, or be subject to insane taxes, KYC AML and such.

Do you think Governments could kill Bitcoin?
Of course government has the power to stop bitcoin. They can also prohibit its use. It depends to the government of a specific country if they will support or not the idea of bitcoin because bitcoin has its own advantages and disadvantages towards the country and also to the people.

Dissident991

Activity: 490
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 09:45:44 AM

Governments can stop Bitcoin only if they all will unite for it, but it is impossible. Always will be some countries that will want to earn profit from cryptocurrencies. But if lead countries like USA will ban Bitcoin price will fall and people will lose interest for a long time.
atomicgroup

Activity: 370

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 10:38:58 AM

No matter how powerful the Government is, they would not be able to stop Bitcoin because of the way through which Bitcoin is designed with the Blockchain uncontrollable features and until all Governments in the world sit at a round table agreeing together on putting total ban on Bitcoin which shall so much be difficult to do.
Boknoi321

Activity: 119

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 11:36:40 AM

i think government could kill and stop bitcoin if they want and they can do it as fast as they can because they have unlimited source to do this. but i think the government will thinking to not stop or kill bitcoin and i think they are now is study about bitcoin, they have many questions about bitcoin and they need the answer. so they let us to still use bitcoin because they know that they can learn bitcoin from many ways and they want to see how bitcoin in future.
There is a big possibilities that they can stop the process of bitcoin, because they have the power and the technology to track the btc. I think they're still studying of what will btc bring to  the economy and if they think they can get benefit to it they will keep studying on how btc work. The investments which I think is helping the government and the bank through the process knowing it more.
Freddie Aguiluz

Activity: 401

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 12:22:26 PM

This is something which I've beleived for awhile, which is the prospect that if big governments and banks worked heavily together they'd be able to remove Bitcoin from the face of the earth. They wouldn't ban it, as that would be a tough thing to swallow for the American people as they wouldn't see a good reason to do that ( at least in my mind here) But they could just go ahead and regulate Bitcoin into oblivion, making it hard for Bitcoin businesses (buying and selling, trading, etc) to operate within their countries, or be subject to insane taxes, KYC AML and such.

I think a really powerful country can stop bitcoin when ever they say so. Or if multiple nations agreed to stop using it then it will be gone and extinct. Even though we say that bitcoin is forever and it cannot be stopped, A great nation that can stand up to it will be a great problem to bitcoin world.
queenlaurel

Activity: 182
Merit: 1

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 10:21:09 PM

If the government wants to stop btc, they can. It about going through the right channels buy all and shot it down for good. On another hand, they might not reason been that some of them might be into bitcoin trading and investing, which might make it difficult for them to stop it.

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN www.wppenergy.io
Scavagers

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 06:33:55 PM

if the government is powerful, they can easily eliminate bitcoin in your country. If the government see bitcoin and cryptocurrency as a threat, they may order a law that counteracts the usage of bitcoin and any other forms of digital crypto currency like alt coins. Trading would not be possible and accessibility to bitcoin will also be eliminated.
It also depends on the system of the government, if it is democratic like in my country, many people will protest so that it will not continue. In democratic government, they listen to people so if it has not valid enough,it will not be enacted and be a law.
amzadabir

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 12:33:22 AM

I do not think the government will kill Bitcoin. Because bitcoin can be very beneficial.People on this sub don't believe in central banking. Clearly millions of average people do or we'd be doing away with it.So seperate blockchain as a technology, it can be used for multiple things," Dimon said."
FreshMoff

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 03:14:03 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2018, 01:53:11 AM by FreshMoff

Of course. There are many attack vectors - all of which are unwieldy and brutish. So if motivated enough, it could be done... but certainly ticking off a good chunk of their citizens (not just the crypto kids)
1battermainsheet3

Activity: 32

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 04:58:56 AM

Yes ofcourse the nations could have done so but they are not applying their full power to do so.
v3liana

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 05:40:53 AM

Well, they can buy down 21 million BTC and keep all of them to themselves, essentially 'killing' Bitcoin. Smiley On a serious note, no, I feel that it is difficult for them to do so. Even if countries like China tries to ban Bitcoin in their own country, they cant exactly do so to the whole world, and there will always be a use for Bitcoin somewhere else.

Bitcoin is still gaining popularity, and its community is growing, so unless all the governments team up and say NO to BTC, it would not happen (I hope).
Citizens > Government, and we need to believe this as well.
Yes bitcoin will never die so the altcoins. There will be big event in this month which G 20 will have some conference about cryptocurrency in argentina. I hope it would not make cryptocurrency even worse than now.

ethergod

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 05:44:13 AM

The one government that could theoretically threaten bitcoin, I suppose, is China, given that a large percentage of the mining is done in that country. However, I think the probability for that is very low.
genmauer

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 06:19:03 AM

I think killing the bitcoin and altcoins is impossible, but they can cripple the communication, blocking websites like bitcointalk, forbid exchanges, and so on.

maydna

Activity: 2912
Merit: 556

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 08:08:43 AM

I think the government can stop bitcoin with their power and shut down the internet because the internet is a way for people to use bitcoin. but I don't think that the government wants to do this because if they shut down the internet or stop bitcoin, then it will be a chaos in every place and they will face many demonstrations from the people.
mickeybuddy27

Activity: 429
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 10:35:32 AM

I think the government can stop bitcoin with their power and shut down the internet because the internet is a way for people to use bitcoin. but I don't think that the government wants to do this because if they shut down the internet or stop bitcoin, then it will be a chaos in every place and they will face many demonstrations from the people.
I think it is more impossible to shutdown the internet just to stop bitcoin. All new technology are works through internet and even all the company and industry are dependent to internet which it cannot work without it. Bitcoin can ban by the government but will not totally stop it.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: