Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:07:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Airdrops. With its impact on value of coin, good time to sell?  (Read 1170 times)
jmigdlc99 (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2017, 08:05:31 AM

I'm hoping to get some advice from people with much experience trading airdropped tokens or coins.

Let's say a token/coin is about to distribute a big airdrop to many users, doesn't that usually mean that more people (those receiving the airdrop) will immediately sell their new token/coins and therefore cause negative movement of token/coin value? Given this, is it then best practice to SELL before airdrops are distributed?

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
soham

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 11:25:51 PM

I'm hoping to get some advice from people with much experience trading airdropped tokens or coins.

Let's say a token/coin is about to distribute a big airdrop to many users, doesn't that usually mean that more people (those receiving the airdrop) will immediately sell their new token/coins and therefore cause negative movement of token/coin value? Given this, is it then best practice to SELL before airdrops are distributed?

That depends on the token actually. If the token in only obtained through airdrop and not through ICO, that means the coin may have a very little value in the market. Because it is available for free of cost so why would people pay a price for obtaining it? That will become a pump and dump scenario. Even though we have few exceptions like DeepOnion, but that's very very rare case.

I usually don't look much at the tokens but it is wise to investigate well about a token before you invest anything. And if you are getting free coins through airdrop, it is wise to sell it off at the first place while buyers are available in the market. Because later it may have no value.

▄████▄       
██████       
▀████▀       
▀██████      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
▄▄█████  ▄██████████████████▄
▄██████▀██  ████████████████████
▄█████▀    ▀  ████████████████████
▄█████▀         ███ ████████████ ███
██████▀          ███ ████████████ ███
███████           ███ ████████████ ███

▄████▄                  ███████   
██████                 ▄██████     
▀████▀                ▄█████▀     
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄    ▄█████▀       
▄██████████████████▄  ██▄ █████▀         
████████████████████  ██████▀▀           
████████████████████  ██████▄             
███ ████████████ ███                     
███ ████████████ ███                     
███ ████████████ ███                       
  [    |    ████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███            ▀████████
███  ███████  ▄  ▀██████
███           ██▄  ▀████
███  ███████  ████▄  ███
███                  ███
███  ██████████████  ███
███                  ███
███  ██████████████  ███
███                  ███
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
  ] 
FACEBOOK  )   (  TWITTER  )
  SUBSCRIBE NOW!!! 
INSTAGRAM  )  (  LINKEDIN  )
anti-scam

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

COINECT

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 11:34:52 PM

Airdrop like rain, scattered everywhere.
everyone is hunting coins, hard to predict.
I always sell it right away, it is the best way to earn money quickly. there is no reason to hold a coin that has no future.

▄▄▓▓▄▄   ▄▓▓▓▄
            ▄▄▓▓▀    ▀▓▓▓▀   ▀▓▓▓▄
         ▄▓▓▀▀        ▐▓         ▀▓▓▓
         ▓▓   ░▓▓▒    ▐▓     ▓▓░   ▐▓
         ▓▓    ░▀▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▀▀    ▐▓
      ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░  ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
    ▓▓▀     ▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▄   ▀▀    ▀▓▓░
    ▓▓        ▓▓▓░    ▐▓     ▀▓▓▄        ▓░
    ▓▓▄▄▄    ▐▓░   ▄▓▄▓▓▒▄▓▄   ▓▓░   ▄▄▄▄▓░
    ▓▓▀▀▀    ▐▓░   ▀▀▀▓▓▒▀▀    ▓▓░   ▀▀▀▒▓░
    ▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄   ▐▓    ▄▓▓▓▀       ░▓░
    ▀▓▓▄▄  ▄▓▄   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓▒   ▓▄   ▄▓▓▓░
        ▀▓▓▓▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓░   ▀▀▓▓▓▀░
         ▓▓    ▄▓▓▓   ▐▓    ▓▓▄░   ▐▓░░
         ▀▓▄   ▀▓     ▐▓     ▀▀   ▄▓▓░
           ▀▓▓▓▄      ▓▓░      ▄▓▓▀░
               ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▀░▓▓▓▄▓▓▓░
COINECT
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
AI-based decentralized
arbitrage trading system
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄
                        ▄▄█████▀▀███
                    ▄▄████▀▀     ███
              ▄▄▄████▀▀    ▄▄   ▐██
          ▄▄█████▀       ▄█▀    ██▌
     ▄▄████▀▀▀       ▄███▀      ██▌
    ████▀        ▄▄████▀       ▐██
     ██████▄▄  ▄█████▀         ██▌
          ▀████████           ▐██
            ▀████▌            ███
             ▀███  ▄██▄▄     ▐██▀
              ███▄███▀███▄   ███
              ▀███▀▀   ▀▀███▄██▌
                          ▀▀█▀▀

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ███████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ▐▓███████▄
█              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
dx_twisted

Activity: 294
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 12:01:14 AM

There are two different kind of scenarios on when is the right time to sell an ICO token.

1. If obtained through bounty, airdrop or premine and no ICO. Then, it is wisely suggested to sell them earlier once they hit thru exchanges. I usually sell them at the price that I feel but not thru the 1st exchange site. Maybe, wait for it to hit around 2 to 3 exchange site. This may happen in the span of around 3 to 6 months.

2. If you bought an ICO, then they are worth for long-term investment but with risks. They are times that a short-term ICO may succeed compared to long ones due to the projects hype. I usually monitor the price of the ICO's that I bought same w/ the span of #1. Not directly selling it but studying the chart first. Once I feel it or conclude that the price may rise up for a few more months then I just hold them until the price is right for me.

After all, investing in an ICO have some risks. Some tokens, with or without investors may rise and fall depends on its project roadmap and people backing.
Buntel168

Activity: 854
Merit: 100

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 10:05:50 AM

I always sell it right away, it is the best way to earn money quickly. there is no reason to hold a coin that has no future.

I a gree with you, i always sell it too, without risk and earn money quickly, but sometimes we must have a strategy to hold the coin or sell it quickly.

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     SPORTS ICON   │   NFTs WITH THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
[     Telegram     ] [       Twitter       ] [      Discord      ] [    Instagram    ] [      YouTube      ] [      Medium      ]
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬  Powered by BOUNTY DETECTIVE  ▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 1220

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2017, 10:17:52 AM

In most cases as far as I have seen, people who receive airdropped coins simply sell them on exchanges causing a massive dump just after being listed on the exchanges. However if you are going to participate in any airdrop be on guard for phishing links and social engineering scams.

Though there are many legit airdrops as well so not all are scams. But there have been some recent coins with e-prefixes which are simply pump and dump schemes. Those who became greedy for free cash joined them and made some money from selling. However potential investors who bought the coin are now in loss. So its totally your discretion about how to deal with airdrops. I personally stay away from them unless the developers are legit and real.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
scott btc

Activity: 356

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 11:40:01 AM

That depends on the token actually. If the token in only obtained through airdrop and not through ICO, that means the coin may have a very little value in the market. Because it is available for free of cost so why would people pay a price for obtaining it? That will become a pump and dump scenario. Even though we have few exceptions like DeepOnion, but that's very very rare case.

I usually don't look much at the tokens but it is wise to investigate well about a token before you invest anything. And if you are getting free coins through airdrop, it is wise to sell it off at the first place while buyers are available in the market. Because later it may have no value.
how about the coin who can be mint ? it's a problem or not, will the coin survive for a long term ?

but afaik after i(we) got paid from airdrop they just sell it,  why ? because it's free then we can get our money from it, do you need money ? so do i. But they are not thinking before they can claim over then they get(by hold then sold in top price). Money, Money, and Money..
titima

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2017, 12:04:30 AM

thanks for this topic i find answer for question in my mind about airdrop
d0r10n

Activity: 217
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 12:44:20 AM

Yeah if the airdrop is a good project, HOLD. I'm doing that with DeepOnion (great privacy coin with good team, community and feature roadmap).

If it's some scammey eBTC type airdrop, that's a money grab by the creators, might as well dump that crap ASAP.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ░░▓▓ AXE Coin ▓▓░░   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  
Masternodes › › ›   ░░▓▓▓▓░░   ‹ ‹ ‹  X11 Algo
DecentralizedACTIVE GITHUBAnonymous
pinoyden

Activity: 756
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 01:37:23 AM

ive been joining lots of airdrop lately but i still hold my coins/token because most of them has a little to less value and i'll end up paying more for the gas fee rather than earning a profit. yet not not all tokes/coins have a low value after you recived it, infact there are others like ebtc has pump immediatley and
some people actually earn easy money on it. overall i think its better if you can just hold it for a longer time  or until it it is listed on 2 to 3 exchanges or major exchanges for a reasonable price.
Klausi

Activity: 536

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:05:07 AM

Mostly people who received tokens including me will immediately sell the coins especially if the value in the market are very poor. As you can see in the market their are already thousand kinds altcoins are now competing in which some are considered a crap anymore. If you luckily maybe to receive airdrop coins, you should check right away in the market value to see if their are big investments pouring in so that you could decide to pump or dump it.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
jcowallace1968

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 04:23:12 AM

I think how can people get token to sell before airdrop. Can only dev team have Sad Thats big question about airdrop

willietjie

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 07:41:22 AM

Patience is key....
Just do you homework on the project.
cobs27

Activity: 322

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 11:06:50 AM

Hello Guys,

I am wondering how can I know if the coin having an airdrop will have a great value and has the potential to be
listed on the different exchangers and can be listed on coinmarketcap. As I experience, Normally after I receive airdrop and
listed on Etherdelta then sometime ill buy that coin in low price then wait to increase but some time I waited so long but still
the price did not increase , the price stays the same or becomes lower so I loose. Any one who can advise what items to consider
in buying a coin on ether delta normally coins from airdrop. How can I assure that the price of the coin that I will buy will increase?
dunfida
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1129

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 12:41:20 PM

This is a usual thing on which airdrop participants will actively sell their free coins once it hits exchanges because on this way they can able to make money on just simply signing up on those airdrops.It would depend on a certain individual if he would decide to hold up and let those dumpers take profit because there are instances on which some airdropped coins did already to pump out which if you do hold it then it would really be a worth thing since you can really make some serious cash out of your free coins been given by them specially if its being hyped up then it would really put a smile on your face.

BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 01:02:43 PM

when people receive free shit they tend to want to use them not store them away. and when they receive an airdrop for free they want to dump it. and even if a small number of them dump it, the price will come down a little and that is enough for the rest to start panic selling and that is when prices come down real big.
that is why most people dump their coins as soon as they receive the free things.
and when the airdrop is big and is giving lots of coins away that means they are practically creating that much bigger sell pressure.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
eann014

Activity: 1078
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:05:58 PM

I don't think that a lot of Airdrops has no future. Maybe also depend on how they market their coin, just like some altcoins, (Ethereum, litecoin or dogecoin) it is not bad ti hold them also but it is up to us of course if we really need to sell it right away.
ddurand

Activity: 47

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2017, 02:35:06 PM

Most of the time you have to sell the airdrop coins on the FIRST pump since they are just scams but sometime it's a valuable project and you have to wait a bit in order that the team start developing it.
FrueGreads
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 03:20:02 PM

I actually think that there are some guys that actually buy some coins before an airdrop, to maybe try to influence the market and see if they can "initiate" a pump of that coin. This way, they will probably get more out of the sell, when the airdrop is done. The news from an airdrop actually generate some attention to the coin, so maybe some people will get to know the project, and then will buy some coins after that. Byteball price normally increases before every airdrop, but of course it goes down after it. If you just want to trade, and don't really care about holding the coin, then I would say you should carefully monitor the market when you are getting close to an airdrop. If it's getting a pump, like Byteball normally gets, you should hold for a while, and sell before the airdrop is finished.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

burliko

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 05:56:40 PM

acts like a dividend/offering in the stock market - 1 effect is dilution 2nd is anticipated price drop post the distribution. The effects aren't as cut-dry in the cryptosphere as the equity markets but the general tendency is definitely notable.
b
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: