Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:57:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 gram .999 fine silver "bitcoin" rounds *********type 2***********  (Read 56019 times)
kgo

Activity: 548
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 08:07:47 PM

These are cool little items.  I wouldn't mind having a few for souvenirs or to use as party favors or put in Christmas stockings.  But as an investment?  Probably not, at least not in any great quantity. This is why.

The coins are 1 gram silver, costing 1.5 GPB each.  So I did a bit of calculating to come up with the price in dollars per ounce, which are the most common units cited in commodity pricing....

1 gm * 28.35 (conversion to ounces) = 28.35 oz
28.35 * 1.5 GPB = 42.525 GBP per oz
42.525 * 1.639 (conversion to USD) = 69.7 USD/oz

Today's commodity price for silver of this quality is just under $39 US per ounce.  Coins do cost a bit more than the commodity price for a precious metal.  However, American Eagle 1 oz silver coins were just over $43.00 apiece on Friday.  I didn't find any other commodity silver coins available for purchase, but for comparison, the gold commodity price was at $1,649/oz this morning.  1 oz Krugerrands were running from 1,680 to 1,750 apiece, with Canadian Maple Leaf and American Eagle 1 oz gold coins priced similarly.

Purely from the standpoint of an investment in precious metals, the $43 silver American Eagles are worth exactly the same amount as between 28 and 29 1 gram bitcoins costing around $70.   Only you can decide if the coolness factor is worth paying the premium, of course. :-)  But I recommend keeping in mind that, if the 1 gm silver bitcoin is considered as an investment, it is an investment in something akin to artwork or jewelry.  The metal value alone (as with jewelry) isn't worth the price.

This has been discussed a few times in the thread already.  I won't get into whether they are a good or bad investment.  But the price and premium is comparable to other 1 gram bars and rounds if you search around.  You're paying the premium for the size, not for the bitcoin artwork.  You get that for free!

P.S. Just an FYI, coins silver is weighed in troy ounces, so there are 31.1 grams in an ASE or Maple Leaf.  Worth knowing if you invest in precious metals.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mjbmonetarymetals (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 08:32:41 PM

I quite agree that a 1 gram round wouldn't be the product to build a core position in silver , also as these are shipped from the uk , they have also being subject to 20% v.a.t. which we pay across the board over here on our silver bullion  Angry
By way of a comparison Monarch precious metal in the US produce a 1gram round , admittedly this appears to be hand rolled hand stamped etc. http://www.monarchpreciousmetals.com/.

There pricing is -
Quantity   Price
1 - 249   $2.83 (£1.72)
250 - 749   $2.51 (£1.53)
750 - 9999   $2.19 (£1.33)

As the rounds are designated with weight and purity, they could be considered investment grade  , each round has metal value + premium , the metal value may rise or fall depending on the Market , the premium in effect is paid for when you buy and is passed on when you sell , as the price of silver rises the the premium portion will look less apparent. it could be classified as jewellery perhaps if it were drilled and hung on a chain ( I did design the text on the round to allow for a small hole to be drilled avoiding the text on both sides)

Im in general agreement with the view of the post above , I hope that this 1 gram silver round acts as an introduction to silver for somebody who up to this point is unfamiliar with the idea of storing away bullion  , which may prompt that person to begin a collection.
And to anyone who already has there core position in place , a 1 gram round could in the future, in a worse case senario of world economic meltdown , fiat money implosion , be a very handy tradable size .

Bitrated user: Mick.
ErgoOne

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 08:35:53 PM

Oops, right -- I got the wrong ounce in the calculations.  :-)  However, the right ounce actually makes the silver bitcoins a bit worse as an investment.  

I didn't check prices on silver by the gram as actually available from dealers, but I did check the prices of coins as available from dealers and delivered to you.  (In other words, you own not pieces of paper saying that you own them, but the objects themselves.)  So at least at the 1 oz level, the premiums on individual coins are not all that steep.  They probably would be steeper for smaller purchases, however.

At any rate, that was a good exercise in using a spreadsheet, something I don't do as often as I probably might. Wink
Kermee

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:44:16 AM

Another picture...

On a business trip this week.  Thought I'd take two of them with me.

Cheers,
Kermee
sirky

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 12:18:47 AM

If anyone wants to see a few more pictures, or is interested in purchasing a number less than 10 in the United States, please check out my thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=35778.0

And if you want to buy 10 or more, I suggest you go to Mick. These rounds really are very beautiful!

Kyle
digibo

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 01:06:31 AM

Just received mine.

https://i.imgur.com/yZerp.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/boEsB.jpg
Mjbmonetarymetals (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 10:02:39 PM

Above is a very close up image of one of the rounds from the 1st batch of 1000
The image below is my original artwork
The red and blue areas are where the die makers deviated from the design . The second batch should have the area marked in blue removed and the area in red included . The die will also be given a mirror polish which will be reflected on the rounds surface (unlike batch 1), which in turn should make the "B" stand out more. . I will post fresh pictures of the next batch when they arrive. I was keen for the die makers to make new dies for the next batch , this does not mean batch 1 were in error rather they were a Mark 1 , with a run of 1000 , with the next being Mark 2 , run?.........
I have made enquiries about a 1/4oz silver round , sizing on those would be approximately 1 inch , minimum production run is 500 , (125oz total) this would require an approximate outlay of over £4000 or $6500.

kgo

Activity: 548
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 10:10:32 PM

this does not mean batch 1 were in error rather they were a Mark 1 , with a run of 1000 , with the next being Mark 2 , run?.........

I don't care if it's an error or not.  I actually think it's a good thing that I can now prove I have a batch from the first 1000!
zerokwel

Activity: 464

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 01:58:42 PM

yea I think its fantastic that the first "block" of silver coins are different from the second lot.

Damm but now I will end up buying some of the second lot.. DAMM YOU MICK  Cheesy Cheesy

2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 06:25:52 PM

my 100 rounds arrived today.
looking marvellous.
each round packaged individually!

had i known there'd be another batch, I would've opted for 50/50.

JBDive

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 06:41:24 PM

I quite agree that a 1 gram round wouldn't be the product to build a core position in silver , also as these are shipped from the uk , they have also being subject to 20% v.a.t. which we pay across the board over here on our silver bullion  Angry
By way of a comparison Monarch precious metal in the US produce a 1gram round , admittedly this appears to be hand rolled hand stamped etc. http://www.monarchpreciousmetals.com/.

There pricing is -
Quantity   Price
1 - 249   $2.83 (£1.72)
250 - 749   $2.51 (£1.53)
750 - 9999   $2.19 (£1.33)

As the rounds are designated with weight and purity, they could be considered investment grade  , each round has metal value + premium , the metal value may rise or fall depending on the Market , the premium in effect is paid for when you buy and is passed on when you sell , as the price of silver rises the the premium portion will look less apparent. it could be classified as jewellery perhaps if it were drilled and hung on a chain ( I did design the text on the round to allow for a small hole to be drilled avoiding the text on both sides)

Im in general agreement with the view of the post above , I hope that this 1 gram silver round acts as an introduction to silver for somebody who up to this point is unfamiliar with the idea of storing away bullion  , which may prompt that person to begin a collection.
And to anyone who already has there core position in place , a 1 gram round could in the future, in a worse case senario of world economic meltdown , fiat money implosion , be a very handy tradable size .

Don't forget that there is some just reasoning for a premium on price. If your buying these with BTC which were mined on your own rig then you know the cost of those BTC and it's not likely the current BTC price so say your cost is $4/BTC and the going rate is $9BTC your already to the good. Second your transferring those BTC more or less anonymously to a third party in another nation who is converting those bits of data into a solid physical item which you can then resell. Lastly you can sell that silver and unless your doing it in bulk to can do it just like the rest of this entire transaction, under the radar. There is some value in anonymity.

Has anyone had these coins appraised for purity and weight?
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2011, 08:26:17 PM

I just received mine via sirky and these are AWESOME. I was surprised by how small they are, but then again they are just a gram! The detail is fantastic! I can't wait for the next batch!

Mjbmonetarymetals (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 09:25:35 PM

kgo - good point !

Zerokwel -   Grin

2weix - glad to hear they arrived , the die makers agreed to make fresh dies at no charge , if there had of being a cost , I would have been happy to keep them as they are . Maybe there might be someone who would like to buy 50 from you?

Jbdive - if anybody who has the silver rounds , has a way of accurately testing the rounds for purity. I will offer a few free rounds from the next batch to cover chemical tester costs (wiithin reason). I know there .999 fine silver but a post regarding this from a respected member can only be a positive thing in view of the recent issues with scams and dishonest practices etc .

Naypalm : thanks for posting there arrival  Cheesy   

zerokwel

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 11:46:42 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2011, 12:46:13 AM by zerokwel

I might have a test kit sitting around from ebay silver buys (I don't trust ebay). Will dig it out as I moved house and its packed somewhere. The coins sound right for being silver (if you know what I mean) they have a different sound than normal coins. (don't worry about the extra coins)
sirky

Activity: 404

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 01:24:59 PM

I might have a test kit sitting around from ebay silver buys (I don't trust ebay). Will dig it out as I moved house and its packed somewhere. The coins sound right for being silver (if you know what I mean) they have a different sound than normal coins. (don't worry about the extra coins)

Yes, this is why I generally only bought US Currency on there, normally not in pristine condition. I do not trust the really sterling looking rounds on ebay AT ALL
JBDive

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 03:35:51 PM

kgo - good point !

Zerokwel -   Grin

2weix - glad to hear they arrived , the die makers agreed to make fresh dies at no charge , if there had of being a cost , I would have been happy to keep them as they are . Maybe there might be someone who would like to buy 50 from you?

Jbdive - if anybody who has the silver rounds , has a way of accurately testing the rounds for purity. I will offer a few free rounds from the next batch to cover chemical tester costs (wiithin reason). I know there .999 fine silver but a post regarding this from a respected member can only be a positive thing in view of the recent issues with scams and dishonest practices etc .

Naypalm : thanks for posting there arrival  Cheesy   

Certainly not suggesting you are scamming anyone but any type of certificate from a known source or a trusted minter can only add value. The only thing that's kept me from buying silver in bulk from various sources vs. strictly minted US coins is with US coins you can trade outright vs. having to have silver rounds assayed. Ditto for gold.

Case in point I have a 2002 and 2003 American Silver Eagle, Uncirculated Dollars. These are 99.93% Silver. Bought for the overpriced value of $12 each, now worth $50+ or $40 in melt value. Typically with US coins, some foreign ones as well such as Krugerrands, there is no need to have an assay or certificate when trading. If selling for melt it would depend on who you traded with but unless silver explodes in pricing there will remain more valuable as coins than as silver melt. On the flip side I have silver coins in bulk that would be traded for their simple melt value and not as a 1959 dime for example, kind of sad actually.

Have you considered using a known mint and doing bars with a certificate?

newminerr

Activity: 147
Merit: 11

The day to rise has come.

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 07:45:18 AM

I will pay 1BTC for one coin of those, shipped to Egypt  Cool Grin
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 02:32:57 PM

I will pay 1BTC for one coin of those, shipped to Egypt  Cool Grin

PM me!
I will be at the office tomorrow and might be able to send rightaway.
newminerr

Activity: 147
Merit: 11

The day to rise has come.

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 05:56:27 PM

PM me!
I will be at the office tomorrow and might be able to send rightaway.

I am sorry, thirdlight already made a deal with me.

I will be sure to contact you when/if i need more  Smiley
zerokwel

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 05:24:56 PM

Mick. Don't know if you answered this already. But how long before the second block is mined (sorry wanted to keep it with the bitcoin theme Smiley )

is it the same 6 to 8 weeks from the last lot ?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: