Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:28:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D Printer for Bitcoin  (Read 4717 times)
Exocyst

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Science!

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:37:27 PM

I am on a replicator 2 from Makerbot. The tech is bleeding edge, so get ready to spend some time being frustrated. Also, you need to know how to 3D model, or you'll be somewhat limited on what you can make. When I finally taught myself to 3D model and worked out all the kinks on my replicator2, I made some pretty amazing things, though. Currently working how to copper plate my models to make interactive 3D circuit puzzles. You should email Makerbot and ask if they will take Bitcoin, it doesn't hurt to ask does it?

I should say, though, a replicator two will run you in excess of 20BTC

Best,

Exo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 01:00:07 AM

If they can print with metals (maybe lower melting point type) that would be fantastic.
Directed energy deposition can. Types of binder jetting can but cheatingly using an infiltrator.

If anyone wants advice on specifics, machines, materials, limitations etc then pm me. Just finished 2 semesters learning from one of the most advanced additive labs there are.

worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:56:25 AM

If they can print with metals (maybe lower melting point type) that would be fantastic.
Directed energy deposition can. Types of binder jetting can but cheatingly using an infiltrator.

If anyone wants advice on specifics, machines, materials, limitations etc then pm me. Just finished 2 semesters learning from one of the most advanced additive labs there are.

Are you into 3D printer design using copper?  If yes I guess we can form a virtual team Smiley
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 03:07:28 AM

Are you into 3D printer design using copper?  If yes I guess we can form a virtual team Smiley
I can't think of any method that could use copper. Copper's melting point is ~1100 and at those temps creates massive problems with oxidation which destroys its properties.
http://www.copper.org/publications/newsletters/innovations/how/howdo_tube.html

worldinacoin

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:15:52 AM

Using laser can melt however there are a lot of issues to be settled, there is a form of sand 3d printing especially when using such metals.
coinator

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:26:33 AM

I have personally built a reprap and mendel, not bad for 3d printing but I need to calibrate it once in a while to get it to print well. Fans in your room will affect the plastic build too, so make sure you keep the room air condition/wind/temperature in a "stable state".
worldinacoin

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 08:03:41 AM

Exone successfully printed in titanium I think that is 1,668°C .  But this will be specialized for industrial applications
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 12:30:05 PM

Using laser can melt however there are a lot of issues to be settled, there is a form of sand 3d printing especially when using such metals.

I am aware you can MELT copper, however there is sensible process for additively manufacturing with copper. Some people have tried it with SLS but its just.... no.... It doesn't work out too well and you need a KW laser. SLS machines are also not very office friendly due to the dust/atm control and lasers.

worldinacoin

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:02:19 PM

I am aware you can MELT copper, however there is sensible process for additively manufacturing with copper. Some people have tried it with SLS but its just.... no.... It doesn't work out too well and you need a KW laser. SLS machines are also not very office friendly due to the dust/atm control and lasers.

Not being office friendly is really an understatement Smiley
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 01:04:01 PM

There are a few SLS machines in our lab, and you *could* put one in an office in a side room. The only real problem is hacking in the ventilation system.

worldinacoin

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:26:15 PM

There are a few SLS machines in our lab, and you *could* put one in an office in a side room. The only real problem is hacking in the ventilation system.

Wow, that's extremely expensive stuff, you seen ExOne demo on titanium?  Their 3D Printers are at least 5 figures pricing.  You can get the cheapest ones from China, sub $1000 but that's only ABS and PLA.
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 08:32:08 PM

This is the best printer I could find for the money http://www.punchtec.com/

It's the Ord Bot Hadron. Very fast. I can print an entire AR lower at .2mm resolution in 8 hours, at 200mm/s. I can print with nylon as well, since the extruder is not lined.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 04:32:32 AM

It's the Ord Bot Hadron. Very fast. I can print an entire AR lower at .2mm resolution in 8 hours, at 200mm/s. I can print with nylon as well, since the extruder is not lined.

Its also quite large and expensive for FDM/ME. Remember that increased speed = decreased accuracy, regardless of what the max resolution is, and running at a better resolution = increased time. 3DP is all about tradeoffs.

tombob

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:03:50 PM

so is there any way Sad i want one too Smiley
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:25:56 PM

There are some relatively low priced (like, sub $15k) metal printers, but they are more for prototyping parts, and don't offer the machining tolerances and resolution your probably want in a production printer. It lays down layers of some sort of aluminum/plasticized binder and then laser cuts each layer to spec and starts on the next. Finished out by cooking off the plastic/binder and you're left with a 3D printed metal part, albeit a stratified, low-quality, fairly low-resolution metal part.

If anyone in the dirty south picks up a MakerBot 2, let me know. I will pay you to let me come over to your house and press the start button for you. Bam...made my own AR receivers, no firearm transfer in the mix. Wink
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 02:45:32 PM

Its also quite large and expensive for FDM/ME. Remember that increased speed = decreased accuracy, regardless of what the max resolution is, and running at a better resolution = increased time. 3DP is all about tradeoffs.

If everything else was equal, yes. If you want to compare screw driven, flimsy repraps to linear bearings and rigid frames... it's another story. It is not considerably larger or smaller than any other 200x200mm printable area model... and compared to anything else that's assembled and ready to print, it's not expensive. I wasn't interested in building a printer, I was interested in printing. I get great looking, dimensionally accurate parts. The only problems I've had have been with the QU-BD extruder.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 05:35:34 PM

If everything else was equal, yes. If you want to compare screw driven, flimsy repraps to linear bearings and rigid frames... it's another story. It is not considerably larger or smaller than any other 200x200mm printable area model... and compared to anything else that's assembled and ready to print, it's not expensive. I wasn't interested in building a printer, I was interested in printing. I get great looking, dimensionally accurate parts. The only problems I've had have been with the QU-BD extruder.

Its not about the bearings and frames, honestly. When you really look at the engineering of it, there are so many forces going on within the polymer melt. As you increase the speeds, the cyclindrical melt acts and deposits very differently.

worldinacoin

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 06:27:04 AM

My Cubify printer is extremely easy to use, and not too expensive.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 06:54:19 AM

You could print physical bitcoins with a 3d printer Smiley
worldinacoin

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 10:15:51 AM

But it is still ABS or PLA plastic coins have not much appeal Sad , I don't mind trying, anyone has a Bitcoin STL file where I can download? Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: