Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:21:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BOUNTY] Project: Private Key Label Printer for BitAddress.org  (Read 5582 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 07:14:59 PM

The Bounty: One bag of 500 stickerable Aluminum Casascius Coins, including shipping.  These have the Bitcoin logo on the front, and a blank space for a sticker (up to 1.15" / 29mm in diameter) for you to print the content of your choice.

The Project: Fork BitAddress.org so that it can be used for printing full sheets of private key labels.

The Labels: http://www.onlinelabels.com/OL1025.htm

How it should work:

• The user enters label count wide and high per page (in this example, 6 wide and 8 high)
  • The user enters width of label and horizontal distance between labels (as well as height and vertical distance)
  • The user enters a horizontal and vertical positioning offset (so it works with their particular printer)
  • The user should be able to print a sheet of private keys after having bought the product linked to above.

In addition, there should be an easy way for the user to copy a list of the Bitcoin Addresses to the clipboard, so he can bulk-fund the addresses with the amount of his choice.  The list should be available in two formats: one being a simple CRLF-delimited list of addresses, and the other being a preformatted command for bitcoind to fund all the coins in a single transaction, example:

Code:
sendmany "" "{\"1Address1\": 0.01, \"1Address2\": 0.01, \"1Address3\": 0.01}"

WHAT SHOULD GO ON THE LABELS:

This should be possibly up to user's discretion.  They will be a tight fit.  Some users will want QR codes and others will rather save the space.  Some users will want the Bitcoin address on the labels, others might view that as unnecessary.  I would think most users would want to enter a denomination to be printed, since the aluminum coins don't come pre-denominated.  I am open to any reasonable interpretation of what a user is likely to want.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitKoot

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 08:17:27 PM

May I ask why you want to fork BitAddress.org instead of using your own wallet generator software?

The wallet generator software is pretty flexible as well and could be altered to do this job.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 11:01:32 PM

May I ask why you want to fork BitAddress.org instead of using your own wallet generator software?

The wallet generator software is pretty flexible as well and could be altered to do this job.

Great question.  The software at BitAddress.org is cross-platform and gets enjoyed by a broader audience.  My own software tends to be used predominantly by those using Windows, and my wish isn't so much to create a simple tool for myself to use, but for others.  There's also a bigger community of developers willing to fork and work on the BitAddress code base versus mine.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 11:25:40 PM

Sent you a PM mate.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 01:11:43 AM

I cringe a little when I see BitAddress.org promoted. Yes, it's very convenient and awesome using client-side Javascript to generate addresses but most users of a site like that wouldn't know whether it was Javascript or something else generating the addresses.

While I agree with your concerns, this is offtopic here.

That's true. I deleted my post. I'll start a new topic.
kodo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:18:35 AM

This is definitly a great idea, good luck.
threeip

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 04:54:01 PM

https://github.com/threeip/casascius , demo version at http://rackverse.com/casascius/ . Any and all feedback welcome just don't laugh at my code (to my face Wink)

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 04:57:30 PM

This needs to be entirely in Javascript.  It cannot be based on server side code.

threeip

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 05:30:51 PM

This needs to be entirely in Javascript.  It cannot be based on server side code.

Ack. Ok, best of luck with it!

BitKoot

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 08:18:33 PM

I would like to give this a serious try. I believe I have the needed experience in html/js/css programming.

Is it possible to reserve the bounty for a few days, so I can put some serious time in it without the risk of being outperformed by an anonymous lurker?

If not I might try it anyway during the weekend (if by then nobody has made a serious attempt).
dave3k

Activity: 147

Realbitcoin.info

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 08:40:03 PM

I'll add 0.2 btc to the bounty (if thats ok), so that you can buy some labels to go with your new blanks Smiley
Think I would find this useful.

Realbitcoin.info
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:43:13 PM

I'll add 0.2 btc to the bounty (if thats ok), so that you can buy some labels to go with your new blanks Smiley
Think I would find this useful.
Noble Smiley

Good idea OP

I'm sure someone will have this finished for you with in a week. (POSITIVE VIBES!!! C: )
BitKoot

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:11:46 PM

I made a quick start:

The label generation works, but the labels are still empty. I will look into adding the private key's during the weekend.

Let me know if this is in the right direction.
Bitcoin Grid

Activity: 18

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 02:50:37 PM

I was going to code this anyway as i had the same idea!

I tried using the print button in browser but the margins kept changing depending on the printer used.

I have coded it in JSPDF (A Javascript PDF Creator) Which can be run in firefox or chrome (It works in firefox but takes forever, chrome it takes seconds).

PDF With Text Private Keys

PDF With QR Codes

The pdf generating code is done just got the GUI to do.
BitKoot

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:42:19 PM

I have added the keys to the labels (QR codes are the default):

If the user chooses the 'Use key text' option it adds the private keys as text to the labels:

Still to do:
Add the 'copy bulk fund to clipboard' and 'copy key pairs to clipboard' functionality.

I was also thinking about adding a third option for displaying the keys: show the textual key in combination with one row of text a user can specify (a denomination for example).
BitKoot

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:14:31 PM

It seems copy/paste is hard to do entirely in javascript if you want it to work cross-browser without security warnings.

I have added an expandable section below the generated labes with the bulk fund and key pair text:

piit79

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Time for Plan ฿

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 10:37:18 AM

Great work, watching.
Bitcoin Grid

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 02:00:48 PM

Which labels are we meant to be designing it for?

The link is for these ones http://www.onlinelabels.com/OL1025.htm

But the picture shows these ones http://www.onlinelabels.com/OL6000.htm

Not an issue for my script, as the sticker specs can be changed by changing the values in a few boxes. but knowing the right ones will make setting the defaults easier.
piit79

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Time for Plan ฿

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:04:20 PM

Not sure about the defaults but could you please also create presets for us metric folk for the following label sheets?

White 29mm diameter: http://www.labelplanet.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Round-Labels-White-Paper-29mm
Silver 25mm diameter: http://www.labelplanet.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Round-Silver-Labels-25mm

Thanks!
Bitcoin Grid

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 02:22:53 PM

Not sure about the defaults but could you please also create presets for us metric folk for the following label sheets?

White 29mm diameter: http://www.labelplanet.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Round-Labels-White-Paper-29mm
Silver 25mm diameter: http://www.labelplanet.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Round-Silver-Labels-25mm

Thanks!

Mines coded in mm not inches.

I can’t find the specs for those labels on the website.

Do you have the specs for them? I need these (in mm):
Top Margin
Left Margin
Circle Diameter
Horizontal Spacing
Vertical Spacing
Num Labels Across
Num Labels Down
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: