Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:06:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: we're going to be discussed at the world bank 6/14  (Read 11413 times)
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 12:02:47 PM

Time to merge the 10 threads we have on this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:14:06 PM

They are coming https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Horsemen_of_the_Infocalypse

Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:36:29 PM

just saw this on twitter
  • Ernie Allen, International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children

Hmm. What is he doing in a World Bank forum?, and look at what this site thinks of him...
http://bringvarvarahome.org/ernie_allen.php

More than likely he is going to speak to the fact that virtual currencies are being used to fund human trafficking.  A legitimate concern.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
suryc

Activity: 298

Play2Live pre-sale starts on January 25th

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 04:41:47 PM

^
This is a different event that was held yesterday at USIP where the Director of Fincen made a speech mentioning bitcoin

This thread is about a forum held at World Bank Headquarters yesterday.

Interestingly, both were co-sponsored by the International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children

PLAY
            ▄██████████████▄
          ▄██▀▀██████████████▄
        ▄██▀    ▀██████████████▄
      ▄██▀        ▀██████████████▄
    ▄██▀   ██████▄  ▀██████████████▄
  ▄██▀          ██    ▀██████████████▄
 ███       ▄█████▀      ███████████████
  ▀██▄    ▐██         ▄██████████████▀
    ▀██▄  ▐██████▌  ▄██████████████▀
      ▀██▄        ▄██████████████▀
        ▀██▄    ▄██████████████▀
          ▀██▄▄██████████████▀
            ▀██████████████▀
LIVE
██████
███▀▀▀
███

███
███▄▄▄
██████
██████
▀▀▀███
███

███
▄▄▄███
██████
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 05:02:12 PM

I think the idea of PedoCoin is pretty cool, it sure is better than ButtCoin.
I heard you can exchange either of these using nipple.

This is super funny

but does anyone know how the proceedings are proceeding?

worldtreasurefinders

Activity: 315

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:13:53 PM

I love how they put "value" in quotation marks when discussing bitcoin, as if this free market voluntary money is not really valuable when compared to the endlessly printed paper and digital fiat money they hold so dear.

The good news is, it doesn't matter what they think or how they decide to respond to any "challenges" posed by bitcoin, they can't stop it and we will all laugh as they try.

Architect, Anarchist, Numismatist, Crypto-Enthusiast.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:43:44 PM

I love how they put "value" in quotation marks when discussing bitcoin, as if this free market voluntary money is not really valuable when compared to the endlessly printed paper and digital fiat money they hold so dear.

Extra irony is courtesy of new-er price fixing revelations: the currency markets are also rigged.

Vires in numeris
suryc

Activity: 298

Play2Live pre-sale starts on January 25th

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:42:16 AM

From one of the presentations at the World Bank yesterday.

Quote from: Emery S. Kobor, Deputy Director, Office of Strategic Policy Terrorist Financing and Financial Crimes Department of the Treasury, USA
Virtual currencies are not necessarily riskier than any other electronic payment system

I think this is a positive although the rest of his presentation is talking about how electronic transactions in general make money laundering easier.

Full presentation here: http://globalforumljd.org/docs/events/061413/061413_ppt_kobar.pdf

PLAY
            ▄██████████████▄
          ▄██▀▀██████████████▄
        ▄██▀    ▀██████████████▄
      ▄██▀        ▀██████████████▄
    ▄██▀   ██████▄  ▀██████████████▄
  ▄██▀          ██    ▀██████████████▄
 ███       ▄█████▀      ███████████████
  ▀██▄    ▐██         ▄██████████████▀
    ▀██▄  ▐██████▌  ▄██████████████▀
      ▀██▄        ▄██████████████▀
        ▀██▄    ▄██████████████▀
          ▀██▄▄██████████████▀
            ▀██████████████▀
LIVE
██████
███▀▀▀
███

███
███▄▄▄
██████
██████
▀▀▀███
███

███
▄▄▄███
██████
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:58:29 PM

Quote from: Emery S. Kobor, Deputy Director, Office of Strategic Policy Terrorist Financing and Financial Crimes Department of the Treasury, USA
Virtual currencies are not necessarily riskier than any other electronic payment system

I think this is a positive although the rest of his presentation is talking about how electronic transactions in general make money laundering easier.

Full presentation here: http://globalforumljd.org/docs/events/061413/061413_ppt_kobar.pdf

This is ultra bullish. Exchanges must comply with AML regulation, that's all.

moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:51:47 PM

They will create an ultra complicated regulated exchange policy then somebody will release a decentralized exchanger complete with USDcoins for instant trading which will make this all fall apart.
molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 11:58:54 AM

It might be positive in some way but it's mainly a gross miscategorization of cryptographic money.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:37:21 PM

what the...

Today I had the great pleasure of moderating a panel discussion at a conference on the “Virtual Economy” hosted by Thomson Reuters and the International Center for Missing and Exploited Children. On my panel were representatives from the Bitcoin Foundation, the Tor Project, and the DOJ, and we had a lively discussion about how these technologies can potentially be used by criminals and what these open source communities might be able to do to mitigate that risk.

Jerry Britto seems to have hosted this. thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233823.0

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:59:36 PM

De Jong’s presentation went on to describe three different functions of money — as a medium of exchange, a unit of account and a store of value — and added, “Bitcoin does not meet any of these functions.”
http://www.coindesk.com/world-bank-forum-weighs-pros-cons-of-virtual-currencies/

How can he say such a thing?

He either:
- Has no idea what he is talking about
- Somehow tries to protect Bitcoin by talking it smaller then it is
- Blatantly ignores the well researched publication "Virtual Currency Schemes October 2012" by his own expert committee:
In essence, virtual currencies act as a medium of exchange and as a unit of account within a
particular virtual community. The question then arises as to whether they also fulfil the “store of
value” function in terms of being reliable and safe, or whether they pose a risk not only for their
users but also the wider economy.
http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/other/virtualcurrencyschemes201210en.pdf

- Is mirepresented by the source I am citing (coindesk)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:01:15 PM

De Jong’s presentation went on to describe three different functions of money — as a medium of exchange, a unit of account and a store of value — and added, “Bitcoin does not meet any of these functions.”
http://www.coindesk.com/world-bank-forum-weighs-pros-cons-of-virtual-currencies/

How can he say such a thing?

He either:
- Has no idea what he is talking about
- Somehow tries to protect Bitcoin by talking it smaller then it is
- Blatantly ignores the well researched publication "Virtual Currency Schemes October 2012" by his own expert committee:
In essence, virtual currencies act as a medium of exchange and as a unit of account within a
particular virtual community. The question then arises as to whether they also fulfil the “store of
value” function in terms of being reliable and safe, or whether they pose a risk not only for their
users but also the wider economy.
http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/other/virtualcurrencyschemes201210en.pdf

- Is mirepresented by the source I am citing (coindesk)
- doesn't want to speak in any way that could legitimise the properties of the system that could remove him of his job and status

(you missed one)

It's the same reason why people are even interested in what the World Bank has to say, their opinions are thought to be amongst the most authoritative available

There is a long, long list of people that lose their job and status in a world where Bitcoin is gaining adoption

Vires in numeris
molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:21:32 PM

http://www.thegenesisblock.com/town-hall-discussion-with-gavin-andresen-and-patrick-murck/

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 12:53:04 AM

Wow - How many people knew this little tidbit?

(PM) ALL miners are considered MSBs, since they are enabling transactions for a profit. The guidance is completely backwards – at a local bitcoin exchange the exchange itself is unregulated, however the people there are required to be registered as MSBs. The proper action for FinCEN to have taken is to clarify their guidance, especially related to product as technical as bitcoin, is to solicit public opinion to fully understand the matter. This step was ignored, and MSB regulation from the 90s had a virtual currency clause tacked onto it. Both the public exchange and miner issues should have been clarified in a public forum.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 12:13:41 PM

(PM) ALL miners are considered MSBs, since they are enabling transactions for a profit. The guidance is completely backwards – at a local bitcoin exchange the exchange itself is unregulated, however the people there are required to be registered as MSBs. The proper action for FinCEN to have taken is to clarify their guidance, especially related to product as technical as bitcoin, is to solicit public opinion to fully understand the matter. This step was ignored, and MSB regulation from the 90s had a virtual currency clause tacked onto it. Both the public exchange and miner issues should have been clarified in a public forum.

this is where a guy in the bitcoin foundation patrick Murck. is failing as a bitcoin fanboy..

he is living on the rules of a country that bitcoin is not owned by

bitcoin is not US property or Euro property or British property. so how can a country that does not own bitcoin say that mining is considered MSB..

its not in any countries remit to categorise another economies actions under their own laws.

Fincen can only control and categorise the Dollar....

patrick Murck needs to hand in his resignation letter for this mega boo boo of not understanding bitcoin.

think of it this way. if i made some poker chips would i need a licence. no

if i was hasbro and made monopoly money would i need a licence. no

if i was a world of warcraft player making gold would i need a licence. no

if i was all of these companies/people above and sold coins/paper play money or virtual game tokens for fiat. would i need a licence. Yes (if doing more then $1000 per customer per day, and over 100,000 total income(as that is then classed as a FIAT Business))

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
hacknoid

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 12:34:20 PM

Even if it were true that miners would be considered MSBs, I can't see how that would possibly apply if you were mining in a pool. I don't receive newly minted coins for the work I do for a pool... The pool does. They then pay each miner based on their contribution of work. So while I am working for the pool, all I am doing is processing what they are asking me to process. They then pay me for that work.

I guess it could be argued I am still enabling transactions, but in an indirect way. I get paid to solve work for the pool. The pool gets paid for the work, and then they choose to pay me. More like a subcontractor.

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
newtothescene

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:25:53 PM

Even if it were true that miners would be considered MSBs, I can't see how that would possibly apply if you were mining in a pool. I don't receive newly minted coins for the work I do for a pool... The pool does. They then pay each miner based on their contribution of work. So while I am working for the pool, all I am doing is processing what they are asking me to process. They then pay me for that work.

I guess it could be argued I am still enabling transactions, but in an indirect way. I get paid to solve work for the pool. The pool gets paid for the work, and then they choose to pay me. More like a subcontractor.

I tend to agree with this line of thinking.  If I worked for a company generating physical items with my tools/hands that contributed to a larger product that the company sold for profit then it would be a similar situation.  Maybe they pay me for my work in portions of that larger product.  I can see the company being required to register as a MSB, but the workers??  Seems to be a case of "doing something with computers, so we need to regulate it more heavily than if it was only done in meatspace." Obviously more of a gray area since the product is a type of currency but still...
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:54:18 PM

I can see the company being required to register as a MSB,

MSB is a product of US government and Euro government laws.

bitcoin is not owned by them

however a "data miner" that creates items for a FIAT value.,. then that would involve MSB.

i live in england why should english miners have to follow american laws such as what you interpret it to be.

other people in thailand will also ask why should they follow the laws of euro and USA..

now i hope for the 5th time you realise bitcoin is not owned by europe or america. so it does not have to follow those laws

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: