Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:27:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Hack Bitcoin - Let's Talk Real How its Done - Being Done  (Read 586 times)
bitfools (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 02:57:31 AM

There are many elements of hacking BTC,

1.) fake web sites that look real, which harvest private keys ( most common easy way to make $5 Million USD in one afternoon )

2.) mt-gox type infiltratin of exchanges where private-keys are held, another easy way for 'hackers' to gain access to millions quickly

3.) the mother of all of course is breaking the sha-256 hash, "Google Brain-Flayer", its been done, but that gig is over, there are many advanced NSA tricks for breaking ECDSA, which is how FBI can any time it wants get the private key for any address ( think silk road BTC auction )

https://github.com/ryancdotorg/brainflayer

[ while BTC people no longer use 'brain wallets' many alt-coins still push this shit, so bloom-filter cracking is still possible across the crypto-currency universe. ]

4.) The theory of experts is that NSA created BTC to wait and see when the PUBLIC would/could break SHA-256, I speculate it will be broken by public within 2-3 years, before that GOV will send out a policy statement and tell all GOV to use SHA-512; banks will be kept on easy to hack stuff forever (DES,AES,RSA), and they'll keep public on SHA-256 as long as they wish. Remember possessing or distruting crypto that GOV can't crack is still possession of a 'lethal weapon' aka bomb in USA criminal-code. In USA its only legal transport crypto that the NSA can crack.

5.) Large Bitcoin Collider - this project if it gets 1k, or +10, users, all targeting their asic/gpus farms towards any specific address say 'satoshi1', then selective hacking will be gold, and just like mining pools, people will be paid a share of the profit as high value coins are hacked,.. How soon? Again it just depends on how quick he can get ppl aboard.

https://lbc.cryptoguru.org

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1573035.msg23690150

Eventually BTC will update itself to SHA-1024, so this is all no big deal, for safety keep your wallet in cold storage and printed, keep your BTC's off of these 99% fraudulent exchanges that just churn your BTC's for "FEES"

Lot's of people working on hacking SHA-256, I know the NSA can do it, and I suspect that folks 'private' in Israel are doing it on as-paid basis, just a matter of time before we get a little better HW, and sometime discovers a new ALGO for SHA-256, in general what the public see's is 15 years behind advanced industry and GOV, FYI in 1968 Tooley published "FFT", but Standard Oil discovered it in 1956 and was sharing with NSA, 17 years it took before Academi caught up with adv-gov-tech

In summary its easy to ROB BTC community, its probably easier to mine BTC's with an antminer rather than 'brute force' find a valid private-key with BTC funds.

Smart math people will be the best bet for private software that breaks bitcoin, google stuff like "EDCSA sorting" and rings, ... stuff that drops the search space from 2**128 to 2**32 makes it doable, thats the right way to think about the problem.

Google "blockchain parser", or better yet write your own in python, hell if people want I will post one, generate your own addresses that have high value, know which addresses to attack.

Much work in machine learning is very promising,

Long before I took up GPU mining, I already had a GPU FARM for doing machine-learning CUDA, so it was easy to recommission the hardware over to mining alt-coin for easy money.

One of the things about ML is patterns, and if you study the researchers who wrote brain-flayer, you will see that they study the patterns of addresses and Private-Keys, using Machine-Learn algo's and GPU miner-farms is an ideal way to study the block-chain, and the addresses. Years after 'brainflayer' these researchers are still studying the pattern's of the block-chain, and addresses. Especially 'fashion/vanity keys' are an easy target for researchers.

The SHA256/ECDSA is a TRAPDOOR algo, which means one-way, private-key to public-key; You can never get an PRIV-KEY from an address, so the way to study the problem is have the ML system learn how private-keys generate addresses, that "LEARNING", and its easy directory.io, or write your own ALGO to train the ML.

IMHO the future of all this non-sense will be in machine learning, better to have a machine be trained from the block-chain ( for any crytpo ), and then just query the system for high wealth accounts, or priv-keys or anything you wish to know.

James Garwin one of the fathers of the atomic bomb once said "The most dangerous thing was little people know that the atomic bomb worked", once people ( governments ) knew it worked, then any jack-ass would be confident to refine uranium and make a bomb.

Same now with crypto-banks and hacking, once people understand its possible, and not by brute-force, but by building machine's that learn and see patterns that humans don't see, and then the problem is solved.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 03:00:26 AM

Way easier ways have been found, which is basically to call up your phone's service provider, provide them with your information, get a new sum card, pop it in, pretend to be you and steal everything. Your bitcoins your contacts, absolutely everything that's worth anything will be compromised. This is way easier than a lot of what you described, and cell phone companies give this information away so easily it's a joke.
pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 03:22:31 AM

I would like to indicate that 1 and 2 are not BTC hacks, but direct hacks on the users and the exchanges, not on the code or the protocol. The rest of the hacks you mentioned are possible but thats only in theory and they will remain that way until someone has demonstrated that it can be done in practice.
nareshrohra

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 03:45:57 AM

By the way, the reason for conspiracy theory in point #3 is sort of based on this article

https://siliconangle.com/blog/2014/08/12/did-the-nsa-create-satoshi-nakamoto/

That could just be a coincidence. Although, I won't deny the possibility that the person "Satoshi Nakamoto" was a former CIA or any other intelligence agent

bristlefront

Activity: 225
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 04:00:25 AM

This is a good thread to make bitcoin users aware about what could hackers do to their bitcoins. As they said prevention is better than cure so prevent as early as we could.

bitfools (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 04:12:14 AM

I would like to indicate that 1 and 2 are not BTC hacks, but direct hacks on the users and the exchanges, not on the code or the protocol. The rest of the hacks you mentioned are possible but thats only in theory and they will remain that way until someone has demonstrated that it can be done in practice.

I would like to point out to you that 'hacking' is what ever it takes for Party A to "STEAL" BTC from party "B"

We could change the word from hack to steal, almost always all the items 1-N involves "CODING", so thus they're all hacking, 1&2 involve faux websites, but its still hacking ( coding html/js  )

IMHO 1&2 would be ordinary theft and easy to trace, just see who owns the faux website, ... easy for LEO to find.

The other's especially cracking the SHA-256 and discovering Priv-Keys, that can never be traced back to 'U', unless you spend the stolen COIN say on a known address like 'coinbase'.

I think people who do item's 3+ are professional science people who just like puzzles and right now cracking/hacking BTC was one of the biggest challenges on earth.

I would like to rhetorically ask, how many people here who read this shit have actually wrote code to do this?

It seems that 99% of this forum doesn't know how BTC works and just posts dribble from MSM,

Have any of you actually ran brain-flayer? Have any of you written your own LBC?? Have any written a blockchain-parser? Havey any you rolled up your sleeves and tried?

It seems that common sense is that your always told 'its best to mine', but who said that? Is that really true?

IMHO it may be MORE profitable to re-target your GPU-RIGS to cracking high-value addresses

Again it doesn't matter, just trying to see the level of knowledge on this forum, certainly only 1 in 1,000 even code the block-chain here I can see that,

Here's a question, since the level of tech knowledge on this site is so low, anybody know that best site for this subject??

Brain-Flayer (#3) has been demonstrated in  public, and people are still using it, as idiots are still using brain-wallet tech to make private-keys ( wallets )

LBC has no desire to brag about what it finds.

People have lots 10's of millions to date in BTC, and its ignored,  it seems that the GOV is running BTC, for the same culture exists where when people are robbed the other told to ignore the robbery.

Personally as someone who does write code to hack BTC, I find it valuable to know weaknesses, and to know the most secure way to generate my wallet ( private key address ), had I not done these I would have NEVER known for real what is weak and what is strong, because the rumor and bullshit that is discussed in public is always 100% bullshit. People argued for years that brain-wallets couldn't be hacked, it took a public demonstration to put that practice to an end.

I think that NOBODY who hacks BTC is going to brag or take anything public, at the very least they can sell their service, and make a lot of money, it would be in nobody interest to 'open source' this, just like now the best mining software is all closed source and has fees, nobody gives shit away for free.
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 04:12:59 AM

you are indeed a fool and you are misleading people.

1&2) the first 2 options are not even "hacking bitcoin"!

3) option number 3 is a brainwallet and again has nothing to do with bitcoin. it is like breaking a weak password.

4) you think SHA256 or eliptic curve cryptography is only for bitcoin? no, they are being used in most places. even banks and other security related places. if there was the smallest chance of them being broken all these places would have switched in a heartbeat.

5) that is a joke made to do two things: first to run through a list of private key from 0, 1, 2,...., 10000, 1million,... and so on and in that list find the private key which were placed there to be found by a puzzle and take the reward of that puzzle. and secondly to use the backdoor that the script has to run malicious code on the computer of users who are fool enough to run that collider

In summary its easy to ROB BTC community, its probably easier to mine BTC's with an antminer rather than 'brute force' find a valid private-key with BTC funds.
it is always easier to "rob" people. but it is impossible to hack bitcoin, and you will have a much much much easier time mining bitcoin with the same power than you have hacking it.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 04:27:23 AM

In regards to BTC ever being hacked or SHA256 algo ever being compromised will always be a real threat to BTC and everything currently being protected by it.

Just how many years/decades we are off from having enough power and machines learning programs with the capacity to do such a thing will remain unknown to just about everyone, until it actually happens.

We only have a window view into intelligence agencies and what individuals have actually created.

Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 11:25:01 AM

1.) fake web sites that look real, which harvest private keys ( most common easy way to make $5 Million USD in one afternoon )
This is just scamming.  It happens with fiat currency (and all other currencies) as well.
2.) mt-gox type infiltratin of exchanges where private-keys are held, another easy way for 'hackers' to gain access to millions quickly
This is based on weak and centralised third parties.  It doesn't hack BTC, it just finds weaknesses in one central system.
4.) The theory of experts
And by experts you mean idiotic conspiracy theorists?  The NSA do not have the technology to break 256-bit security, nor do the public.  No one does yet, and if anyone does in the future, there can just be a hard fork to a more quantum-secure BTC.
is that NSA created BTC to wait and see when the PUBLIC would/could break SHA-256, I speculate it will be broken by public within 2-3 years
The cryptography standard ENCRYPT II considers BTC safe until at least 2030.
5.) Large Bitcoin Collider - this project if it gets 1k, or +10, users, all targeting their asic/gpus farms towards any specific address say 'satoshi1', then selective hacking will be gold, and just like mining pools, people will be paid a share of the profit as high value coins are hacked,.. How soon? Again it just depends on how quick he can get ppl aboard.
False.  No current computers are capable of getting anything other than a negligible amount of keys and coins from people with poorly randomised (or not randomised) private keys.
bitfools (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:39:20 PM

This is just scamming.  It happens with fiat currency (and all other currencies) as well.
This is based on weak and centralised third parties.  It doesn't hack BTC, it just finds weaknesses in one central system.
And by experts you mean idiotic conspiracy theorists?  The NSA do not have the technology to break 256-bit security, nor do the public.  No one does yet, and if anyone does in the future, there can just be a hard fork to a more quantum-secure BTC.
is that NSA created BTC to wait and see when the PUBLIC would/could break SHA-256, I speculate it will be broken by public within 2-3 years
False.  No current computers are capable of getting anything other than a negligible amount of keys and coins from people with poorly randomised (or not randomised) private keys.

Can U backup a single one of your insipid assertions?

The NSA has never blessed an ALGO they didn't own their entire adult lives.
TIDOVEE

Activity: 1246
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:46:47 PM

As good as this topic is, I hope it won't be an eye opener to those who wish to be an hacker, it is needed though to reveal those areas where one needs to be very vigilant to guide against hackers.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 2091

Cashback 15%

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 03:54:01 PM

The NSA has never blessed an ALGO they didn't own their entire adult lives.

1) It is called phishing and fairly well known phenomenon. [1]

2) Mt.Gox was hacked due to transaction malleability, which could be exploited due to a problem with Mt.Gox's accounting implementation. [2]
Other noteable cases such as Bitstamp and Bitfinex happened due to either server breaches [3] or insufficient security procedures [4]. None of which has to do with Bitcoin itself.

4) I love NSA conspiracy theories as much as everyone, but that's just silly. Matter of fact, the NSA has already started working on quantum-secure encryption recommendations [5], at which points Bitcoin's hashing algorithm is the least of our worries, because regarding Sha256 it would only lead to faster miners at best. Also Sha512

5) The Large Bitcoin Collider is not about robbing people, but rather about the technical challenge [6]. So far mostly puzzle trophies have been found [7]. Even if the Large Bitcoin Collider would be about robbing people, it is vastly more profitable to simply mine instead.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

[2] https://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/file/7e4a7f3f2991784786037285f4876f5c/malleability.pdf

[3] http://www.zdnet.com/article/bitstamp-bitcoin-exchange-suspended-amid-hack-concerns-heres-what-we-know/

[4] https://news.bitcoin.com/bitfinex-us-regulation-cold-storage/

[5] https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/08/nsa_plans_for_a.html

[6] https://lbc.cryptoguru.org/about

[7] https://lbc.cryptoguru.org/trophies

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 03:54:25 PM

Yes.  First two are objective fact, so I'll move on to my more opinionated points.
And by experts you mean idiotic conspiracy theorists? 
In this I was pointing out your inability to name any actual experts - it's common to appeal to authority using people that don't exist, like "scientists" and "cryptographers" and in this case, the far more generalised "expert".
The NSA do not have the technology to break 256-bit security, nor do the public. 
Well you agree that the public don't.  The NSA could not be using Bitcoin as a "test" to see who breaks it, because 256-bit security is already used in other major systems, namely SSL.  That's something which people have a significant incentive to break as well.

I also subscribe to a more "innocent until proven guilty" mentality, and there is certainly no reason or evidence that would lead a person to think that the NSA is capable of having computers thousands (even millions) of times faster than anyone else in the world is known to have.
No one does yet, and if anyone does in the future, there can just be a hard fork to a more quantum-secure BTC.
You can just switch to a 512-bit or even 1024-bit algorithm.  However, I said "hard fork" when in fact it can even be implemented as a soft fork.  The basic system is sound.

And then I have more assertions which are objective fact, so I'll skip those too.
bigvito19

Activity: 706
Merit: 111

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 08:43:50 PM

anymore ideas....
khaled0111
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 2873

Top Crypto Casino

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2018, 11:16:53 PM

It is really hard to hack the Bitcoin network, but a good hacker will find easier ways to hack your wallet and steal your money.
Hackers will not target the Network but they will use social engeneering techniques meaning that they will target the user.
It is easy to collect information about a bitcoin user (name, birth date, cell phone number...) such information can help the hacker to reset your passwords
or access your local network.

████▐██▄█████████████████
████▐██████▄▄▄███████████
████▐████▄█████▄▄████████
████▐█████▀▀▀▀▀███▄██████
████▐███▀████████████████
████▐█████████▄█████▌████
████▐██▌█████▀██████▌████
████▐██████████▀████▌████
█████▀███▄█████▄███▀█████
███████▀█████████▀███████
██████████▀███▀██████████
BC.GAME
▄▄░░░▄▀▀▄████████
▄▄▄
██████████████
█████░░▄▄▄▄████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄██████▄▄▄▄████
▄███▄█▄▄██████████▄████▄████
███████████████████████████▀███
▀████▄██▄██▄░░░░▄████████████
▀▀▀█████▄▄▄███████████▀██
███████████████████▀██
███████████████████▄██
▄███████████████████▄██
█████████████████████▀██
██████████████████████▄
..CASINO....SPORTS....RACING..
█░░░░░░█░░░░░░█
▀███▀░░▀███▀░░▀███▀
▀░▀░░░░▀░▀░░░░▀░▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░█░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
░█░██░░███░░░█░██
░█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀

▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀███▄
██████████
▀███▄░▄██▀
▄▄████▄▄░▀█▀▄██▀▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀▀████▄▄██▀▄███▀▀███▄
███████▄▄▀▀████▄▄▀▀███████
▀███▄▄███▀░░░▀▀████▄▄▄███▀
▀▀████▀▀████████▀▀████▀▀
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 02:59:16 AM

3.) the mother of all of course is breaking the sha-256 hash, "Google Brain-Flayer", its been done, but that gig is over, there are many advanced NSA tricks for breaking ECDSA, which is how FBI can any time it wants get the private key for any address ( think silk road BTC auction )

https://github.com/ryancdotorg/brainflayer

[ while BTC people no longer use 'brain wallets' many alt-coins still push this shit, so bloom-filter cracking is still possible across the crypto-currency universe. ]

4.) The theory of experts is that NSA created BTC to wait and see when the PUBLIC would/could break SHA-256, I speculate it will be broken by public within 2-3 years, before that GOV will send out a policy statement and tell all GOV to use SHA-512; banks will be kept on easy to hack stuff forever (DES,AES,RSA), and they'll keep public on SHA-256 as long as they wish. Remember possessing or distruting crypto that GOV can't crack is still possession of a 'lethal weapon' aka bomb in USA criminal-code. In USA its only legal transport crypto that the NSA can crack.

Wait, are you implying that the FBI cracked Ulbricht's private key? Because they didn't. They had to go to court for that:

https://news.bitcoin.com/ross-ulbrichts-144336-bitcoins/

The users' coins were stored in their accounts, and since the FBI was able to take control of the servers, taking the coins didn't require them to hack private keys. Source here:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/02/bitcoin-silk-road-how-to-seize

The NSA conspiracy theory has always been popular for some reason, but I would like to point out that the US Government couldn't even crack a terrorist's iPhone. It's not that simple, and it's going to remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: